Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Have the mario games ever really had a deep story? It is usually the same thing over and over again, just with slightly differeny cercumstances or locations. The sonic games, while still having to defeat Eggman most of the time, they usually have a very different story each time to go along with them. Sonic beats the mario series in story by miles in most cases. Mario is often more easy to pick and play though, since all you do is run and jump. Sonic, while similiar, has alot more moves and things coming at you and things going by rather fast, that people may not find as easy to handle. So, with alot of these games, it is just coming down to what do you prefer, since we are all different and prefer different gameplay mechanics and find certain things more enjoyable than others. Some must have great graphics and others like me, could care less about the graphics if the game isn't fun, thus why I can still play Snes games and such with no trouble.

Have the mario games ever really had a deep story? It is usually the same thing over and over again, just with slightly differeny cercumstances or locations. The sonic games, while still having to defeat Eggman most of the time, they usually have a very different story each time to go along with them. Sonic beats the mario series in story by miles in most cases. Mario is often more easy to pick and play though, since all you do is run and jump. Sonic, while similiar, has alot more moves and things coming at you and things going by rather fast, that people may not find as easy to handle. So, with alot of these games, it is just coming down to what do you prefer, since we are all different and prefer different gameplay mechanics and find certain things more enjoyable than others. Some must have great graphics and others like me, could care less about the graphics if the game isn't fun, thus why I can still play Snes games and such with no trouble.

The  Mario RPG's have deep stories and the 3D games try to have some what of a story unlike NSMB series and to an extend 3DLand

Right now it's been the same game with different level layouts 4 times over.

Come on, really? NSMBU doesn't even use the same backgrounds or tiles that Wii did.
  • Thumbs Up 4

Both you and Komo missed the point.

If you're asking for a story in a 2D platforming Mario game, you're doing it wrong. NSMB is FANTASTIC without a 'story'. I love how each level flows right after another. I don't need some narrative to go along with it.

I do. Different strokes.

Nobody said anything about a deep story!

SMB2 USA had the story of Subcon and Wart

SMB3 introduced us to the Koopalings

SMW took us to Dinosaur Land and introduced the Yoshis as a gameplay and story element

SM64 was simply the traditional story, except set entirely in Peach's castle and worlds within

Sunshine had Bowser Jr and Mario clearing his name

SPP had Peach setting out to save Mario on Vibe Island, while Bowser wielded the Vibe Scepter.

Backstories or no, these games had varying degrees of different scenarios and environments. It made me want to see what was coming up next.

Come on, really? NSMBU doesn't even use the same backgrounds or tiles that Wii did.

Sorry. I forgot that Acorn Plains was blue instead of brown...

... you didn't mean to suggest there were more differences than that, did you? They're all far far FAR too similar.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 2

I do. Different strokes.

Cool kids make their own narrative. You should see the amazing story lines I come up with every time I pop in NSMB Wii / 2. jk

Nobody said anything about a deep story!

SMB2 USA had the story of Subcon and Wart

SMB3 introduced us to the Koopalings

SMW took us to Dinosaur Land and introduced the Yoshis as a gameplay and story element

SM64 was simply the traditional story, except set entirely in Peach's castle and worlds within

Sunshine had Bowser Jr and Mario clearing his name

SPP had Peach setting out to save Mario on Vibe Island, while Bowser wielded the Vibe Scepter.

Backstories or no, these games had varying degrees of different scenarios and environments. It made me want to see what was coming up next.

... you didn't mean to suggest there were more differences than that, did you? They're all far far FAR too similar.

I wasn't trying to bash the story for goodness sake. I was just saying that people often critique this as something people say the mario series if often lacking is a detailed story and that it is very similiar in each game. I know there are slightly different, but goodness man, I get it.

Dude, Acorn Plains' background is COMPLETELY different from World 1 of all of the other NSMB game. And not just that, but it adds in some new modes and gameplay mechanics too.

To say that NSMBU is the same as all of the others is just flat-out wrong. Edited by Red Cap-Blue Spikes

Dude, Acorn Plains' background is COMPLETELY different from World 1 of all of the other NSMB game. And not just that, but it adds in some new modes and gameplay mechanics too.

To say that NSMBU is the same as all of the others is just flat-out wrong.

2 words. Challenge mode. It's fun and different. That's something.

Edited by Dom

Mario Bros is good, but I'm hard pressed to see how each NSMB game differs when compared to the differences between the original 4 Mario games, even if you don't include SMB2USA. Each game had a considerable evolution over each other in a different direction, NSMB, while much needed originally, has yet to deviate at all from its original game formula, and that's ok, but when a lot of people witnessed the jump in scale and mechanic between SMB3 and SMW, how can you blame them for being disappointed when all the NSMB games are so samey? That's not just in gameplay, but artstyle too.

None of the NSMB games have, besides coop, added anything substantial to the original SMB formula, especially if you play as a single player experience. You know, that formula that used to have things added to it with every new game before the revival. NSMBU doesn't even match SMW in terms of non-linearity and secrets. This is an argument I usually use towards Sonic 4, but darn, NSMBU still can't match a game from 1990 in terms of evolving its genre.

That's just my opinion. But I would absolutely adore a new SMB game that tried something different with art and offered a new evolution to the series. I understand that perhaps as a gamer who wants newness, NSMB isn't for me and maybe I should stick to Nintendo's other platformers for my interesting new game mechanics and ideas, but I'm also a Mario fan, and I'd be lying if I didn't really want to see a Super Mario Bros game that does evolve the classic Mario series in new ways! New kinds of worlds, new kinds of villains, new different kinds of Yoshis or something else that changes Mario's gameplay totally like Yoshi once did.

NSMB is a good game series, but it's one that's for all intents and purposes a throwback largely for money and playing it safe, and after 4 entries a lot of people are understandably wanting something that doesn't just say "New" in the title but is ACTUALLY new. Challenge Mode is a great start, but the actual game itself needs some newness. Even Pokémon has managed now to substantially evolve its game mechanics while also drawing back people who lost interest since the originals. Plus, need I remind everyone that the very same company churning out NSMB titles with few differences apparently has not enough new ideas to do anything new for F-Zero and therefore refuse to make a new game for it? Online gameplay and improved track editor just aren't enough! But we can put more gold coins in NSMB2, that more than grants it a place in development, obviously!

NSMB is obviously all about the money, which is cool, but yeah don't pretend that money isn't a huge part of its continued support.

And on the topic of Wii U, yeay Nintendo are doomed as usual blah blah.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 2

umm, so I am considering getting New Super Luigi U, along with WWHD from toysrus, it worth getting?(never played a NSMB game, and only games I have at the moment are nintendo land, ASRT and lego city undercover, though am hoping to get sonic and Lego marvel later this year)

umm, so I am considering getting New Super Luigi U, along with WWHD from toysrus, it worth getting?(never played a NSMB game, and only games I have at the moment are nintendo land, ASRT and lego city undercover, though am hoping to get sonic and Lego marvel later this year)

I would get the physical version of NSMBU and then download NSLU ($10 discount). NSLU is INCREDIBLY difficult and challenging by the way.

Use ToysRUs discount code for 20% off both those games.

Luigi U is the absolute worst one to start with. It's not really the full NSMB experience, and is instead more of a games of time trials. Get NSMBU first and download/buy Luigi U afterwards if you still want it.

I would get the physical version of NSMBU and then download NSLU ($10 discount). NSLU is INCREDIBLY difficult and challenging by the way.

Use ToysRUs discount code for 20% off both those games.

Luigi U is the absolute worst one to start with. It's not really the full NSMB experience, and is instead more of a games of time trials. Get NSMBU first and download/buy Luigi U afterwards if you still want it.

Mainly was considering because its one of the only 30$ games that have that I am interested in, other wise I am only getting WWHD, as really trying to not spend too much(or double check and make sure I shouldnt be getting one of the games off my B-day list instead)

If you only want to spend $30, hold off until you can afford something else or spend that $30 on the eShop. There's some gold in there. But whatever you do, don't jump into the NSMB series with Luigi U. It's specifically tailored to be DLC for expert players.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

Was Link even all that good in that game?

He was actually broken I think, his arrow and bomb moves could be used in ways that most characters couldn't.

Either way he was an extremely popular inclusion and is the main reason the ill-fated Gamecube saw so many sales of SC2, even more than the Xbox version.

He was actually broken I think, his arrow and bomb moves could be used in ways that most characters couldn't.

Either way he was an extremely popular inclusion and is the main reason the ill-fated Gamecube saw so many sales of SC2, even more than the Xbox version.

on another fun note, its quite amusing, the facebook page has a single group of pictures with 800 comments asking for a wii-u version!

https://www.facebook.com/SoulCalibur take a look

Edited by Mandobardanjusik

I feel bad about the subsequent harassment and spamming that's going to be on Hoshino's Twitter and the Soulcalibur Facebook page now that people who probably don't even care about the series have been given the idea.

• Thumbs Up 3

I feel bad about the subsequent harassment and spamming that's going to be on Hoshino's Twitter and the Soulcalibur Facebook page now that people who probably don't even care about the series have been given the idea.

hey nothing wrong with giving those of us who do care a chance

• Thumbs Up 3

Ok, here is another one, how about Mario power tennis or Super Paper Mario? wont be able to play them till I get wii-motes, but they are both 20 bucks, so one or the other wont break my budget

Ok, here is another one, how about Mario power tennis or Super Paper Mario? wont be able to play them till I get wii-motes, but they are both 20 bucks, so one or the other wont break my budget

Super Paper Mario is a good game, but similar to Sticker Star its very different compared to traditional Paper Mario's; its a 2.5D platformer with RPG elements (leveling up, getting different 'pixels' that give you new powers, Bowser/Peach/Luigi playable) but with some 3d platforming via shifting perspectives and light usage of the pointer features of the Wiimote. The game has a few flaws (the mansion level in particular) but its an overall fun game :)

Power Tennis is a great game that had tight controls, tons of content, and really fun new gameplay mechanics like the new power shots and gimmick courses. The Wii version however, has unresponsive motion controls (doesn't even support the motion plus :(), so that hinders the game a bit, but if you can look past that, then you are in for a fun tennis game.

Do you have DK Jungle Beat? Alongside the Wii versions of the Prime games and Pikmin, Jungle Beat is great on Wii. Sure, the Bongo controllers aren't supported, but the traditional controls work well for the game and the level design is really solid. The game has great music, wonderful graphics and shows DK in a really brutal since (he beats the crap out of the other apes in the levels blink.png). I would recommend that game if you don't own it yet, and to push the decision further, the Galaxy 1 dev. team made the game biggrin.png.

Super Paper Mario is a good game, but similar to Sticker Star its very different compared to traditional Paper Mario's; its a 2.5D platformer with RPG elements (leveling up, getting different 'pixels' that give you new powers, Bowser/Peach/Luigi playable) but with some 3d platforming via shifting perspectives and light usage of the pointer features of the Wiimote. The game has a few flaws (the mansion level in particular) but its an overall fun game smile.png

Power Tennis is a great game that had tight controls, tons of content, and really fun new gameplay mechanics like the new power shots and gimmick courses. The Wii version however, has unresponsive motion controls (doesn't even support the motion plus sad.png), so that hinders the game a bit, but if you can look past that, then you are in for a fun tennis game.

Do you have DK Jungle Beat? Alongside the Wii versions of the Prime games and Pikmin, Jungle Beat is great on Wii. Sure, the Bongo controllers aren't supported, but the traditional controls work well for the game and the level design is really solid. The game has great music, wonderful graphics and shows DK in a really brutal since (he beats the crap out of the other apes in the levels blink.png). I would recommend that game if you don't own it yet, and to push the decision further, the Galaxy 1 dev. team made the game biggrin.png.

I actualy have donkey konga, and the kongas on my GC, and Toys'r's dont have jungle beat anyways.

Honestly, I kinda want super paper mario, as I like a good platformer, and dont mind dialouge. on the other hand mario power tennis would be fun with my family, but considering I dont even have any wii-motes at the moment(will hopefully be getting some soon).... so not sure

oh they also have super slugger(not available online), and epic yarn for same price(they are all 20 bucks)

Edited by Mandobardanjusik