Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

(which I still believe is selling for at least twenty dollars more than it should be).

You want a full blown out remake for $29.99.

lol discoid. u funny

lol discoid. u funny

Nah, I'd buy a full blown remake for sixty bucks easy.

Too bad it's not one, though.

• Thumbs Up 4

Nah, I'd buy a full blown remake for sixty bucks easy.

Too bad it's not one, though.

At least this HD remaster is fixing up the sailing speeds, the Triforce hunt, and use of the GamePad via map/innovatory, so it not like there just dumping the ISO on Wii U and spicing up the lighting a bit tongue.png. I do agree that it's a bit over priced (40 dollars would be a fair price) but at least Nintendo are putting effort to make Wind Waker HD the true version of the original rather than a simple port.

I ask again, if this HD remake isn't doing and adding enough to be considered a "remake" then what the heck is?

• Thumbs Up 2

At least this HD remaster is fixing up the sailing speeds, the Triforce hunt, and use of the GamePad via map/innovatory, so it not like there just dumping the ISO on Wii U and spicing up the lighting a bit tongue.png. I do agree that it's a bit over priced (40 dollars would be a fair price) but at least Nintendo are putting effort to make Wind Waker HD the true version of the original rather than a simple port.

Oh, it's a fantastic port for sure. It just isn't a remake, and thus isn't worth more than $40 in my opinion. In a market where I can get multiple remastered games, added features or not, in a bundle for forty bucks, I think charging sixy for a single one is ludicrous. But we've had this conversation before.

The fact of the matter is that if it's running on the original source code, it's not a remake. Wind Waker HD does, and thus it is not a remake. It's really that simple. Whether or not it's worth the asking price is irrelevant, it just isn't a remake.

I ask again, if this HD remake isn't doing and adding enough to be considered a "remake" then what the heck is?

A remake is an entirely new game built from the ground up to in order to recreate the source material in a better, modernized fashion.

Persona 4 Golden is my favorite game ever. It has just as many new features as Wind Waker HD, and I bought it for $70 to get all the extra merch in the Solid Gold Edition, despite already owning the PS2 original. Going back to the PS2 version would feel really limiting and I'd really rather not do it because of all the improvements made.

... And yet it is still what it is. A really fucking good upgraded port. Not a remake.

It's rebuilt for the Wii U, mechanics have been changed, graphics overhauled, and a ton of new features. Calling it a 'good' port is shameful. Ocarina of Time is considered a remake, why isn't this?

I'm totally fine spending $60 on an enhanced port/remake/whateverdiscoidwantstocallit with a limited edition Ganon figure.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's rebuilt for the Wii U, mechanics have been changed, graphics overhauled, and a ton of new features. Calling it a 'good' port is shameful. Ocarina of Time is considered a remake, why isn't this?

... Ocarina of Time isn't a remake though. It's a port. A good one. Nothing spectacular though.

Also, I said "fantastic". "Stellar", "awesome", "amazing", whatever. It's a top tier port. Up there with P4G and Kingdom Hearts 1.5. If you want to play semantics then fine, it's better than "good".

How you spend your money is none of my business anyway. I don't think it's worth it, and I'm not going to buy it, even if I had a Wii U. 

lol discoid. u funny

WWHD is about as much of a remake as Star Fox 64 3D.

Which is to say, it's a glorified port with pretty graphics and a few extra features, but nothing to justify full price. In fact, Wind Waker HD isn't full price - it's $50, which is still way too much.

If you've never played the game, it's worth it, but for someone who has - several times - it's just a little ridiculous. The only reason I feel justified in buying it at all is because my GC copy of Wind Waker doesn't work properly anymore. It's not as egregious as SF643D because the entire franchise's future isn't riding on it, nor is the original version readily available for a much cheaper price, but it's certainly not worth the price tag. Whether or not it counts as a "remake" is irrelevant - it may as well be a particularly good port, one way or another.

And I'm saying that as someone who is actually looking forward to the game and wants to play it.

So after Solkia pointed out Nintendo should leave the console market, someone else said Sony should leave the portable market.

...You know what? I think both decisions are the worst choices. All they need to do is fix and reestablish lines in their market. Who the hell wants less competition? One of the bigger reasons why the 3DS got a price drop is that the PSVita arrived at a $250 price. With no competition, Nintendo could get away with anything.

Same with the consoles, Sony vs Microsoft would be boring.

• Thumbs Up 2

Haven't we had this discussion about whether or not Wind Waker HD is worth it already? Several times?

If you want it, buy it. That's what I'm going to do. Sheesh. 

Edited by -Link-
  • Thumbs Up 3

If I had a Wii U and it was available for $30 like P4G and relative to other $40 collections with multiple games, I'd be on board day one. If it was $40 I'd be slightly bugged by the fact that it's a single game when the KH Collection has just as good of a port, plus another game more, but I'd still bite the bullet and get it when I had the cash.

Don't get me wrong, Wind Waker's awesome. It'd be my favorite Zelda if not for the Triforce quest and sailing getting boring, so I really appreciate the updates. ... But it's still way too fucking expensive.

So after Solkia pointed out Nintendo should leave the console market, someone else said Sony should leave the portable market.

...You know what? I think both decisions are the worst choices. All they need to do is fix and reestablish lines in their market. Who the hell wants less competition? One of the bigger reasons why the 3DS got a price drop is that the PSVita arrived at a $250 price. With no competition, Nintendo could get away with anything.

Same with the consoles, Sony vs Microsoft would be boring.

I'd be fine with Sony ditching the portable market, to be honest. Though a Playstation Phone that actually works as a good handheld device would be awesome.

Sony already does have a mobile device and it's not doing well.

I don't think controls and a phone will work out well. The markets have a hard time colliding.

Sony already does have a mobile device and it's not doing well.

I don't think controls and a phone will work out well. The markets have a hard time colliding.

Hence the second part of my sentence there. Sell it without a contract and I'm sure plenty of people would be on board. Hell, they could make the buttons and analog nubs attachments.

iphone_game_controller_concept.jpg

Make the controller really good, make sure it's comfortable, bundle it in, and run it on Android OS. Price it around $300, a safe price for just about any smartphone. Get a deal with AT&T, sell it on a contract for around $100.

Holy shit I should totally work at Sony.

Holy shit I should work at Sony because it's genius.

Don't get me wrong, Wind Waker's awesome. It'd be my favorite Zelda if not for the Triforce quest and sailing getting boring, so I really appreciate the updates. ... But it's still way too fucking expensive.

This game has actually fixed the Triforce quest I've heard meaning it's not as gruelling.

Plus, Hard mode from game start? Faster sailing for those who find the normal sail speed mundane and tedious? Full interaction with Tingle's Bottle through Miiverse, Hilarious selfies with Link? Hell I wouldn't be surprised if they added stuff into the game that was cut at the last minute, Gamecube Island anyone??

• Thumbs Up 1

Hence the second part of my sentence there. Sell it without a contract and I'm sure plenty of people would be on board. Hell, they could make the buttons and analog nubs attachments.

iphone_game_controller_concept.jpg

Make the controller really good, make sure it's comfortable, bundle it in, and run it on Android OS. Price it around $300, a safe price for just about any smartphone. Get a deal with AT&T, sell it on a contract for around $100.

No.

NO.

Honestly, the iPhone game controller looks more like an obstruction rather than a way to help you play your games. I wouldn't buy a phone if it required a controller that looked as atrocious as that. Seamless integration is a key component in consoles, as all those things are designed for each other. Incohesive design is a big nada for me.

• Thumbs Up 4

No.

NO.

Honestly, the iPhone game controller looks more like an obstruction rather than a way to help you play your games. I wouldn't buy a phone if it required a controller that looked as atrocious as that. Seamless integration is a key component in consoles, as all those things are designed for each other. Incohesive design is a big nada for me.

As I said - 

Yeah, the iPhone thing looks bad, but that's missing the point. Look at the GBA SP - the buttons are all on the bottom half of the console, and the screen is on top. Why not design a phone like that? The Vita has its screen in the middle. Why not design a phone like that?

There's a million ways to do this, and it could work fantastically if done well. Just because nobody's hit home yet doesn't mean it isn't possible.

Well, for one thing, I can't see something like a dedicated handheld and a smartphone really....meshing well. They're meant for two completely different audiences. If anything, only the small amount of gamers who actually buy Sony's handhelds would bother, and eve then, they might just be turned off by the smart phone thing. Smartphone lovers would.....stick to the phones the have now.

And two, is the Wii U thread really the place for this? 

Lost world, Lego marvel superheroes, and mario are must buys, and Zelda is tempting

So far for me my list is: Rayman Legends, Wonderful 101, Wind Waker, Sonic Lost World, and Mario 3D world. I'm planning on getting some of the others for christmas like DKCTF since thats in december now. Now I SWEAR that it was in November, am I right or is my memory going out prematurely wacko.png

Edited by LordMetallix

I don't think Nintendo had a real release date for Tropical Freeze, so its December release date sounds right (Watch Dogs, Mario 3d World, Sonic Lost World, Batman Arkam Origins, and AC IV all come out around Oct-Nov, so its best they get the spotlight during that time with DK being the big Christmas tittle for Nintendo.  

If I had a Wii U, the games I would be excited about would be Sonic Lost World, DKC: TF, Rayman Legends (it was made for the system in mind :)), Wind Waker HD (the gamepad features and altered Triforce Quest sound awesome), Batman Arkam Origins (loved Asylum and City) and Watch Dogs (next best thing compared to the most likely hampered PS3/360 versions). The Wii U has quite a line up of quality games this holiday :).

Already got W101, getting Rayman this week, but looking forward to WW HD, Sonic Lost World, DKCTF, Mario 3D World.

So the Wii U finally got a price drop? Cool. I can buy my brother and sister one for Christmas instead of buying them both guns like I was going to.

• Thumbs Up 9