Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Neither Uncharted or The Last of Us are particularly ambitious. Both use tropes,seen in countless other forms of media with Uncharted having less success. Being a new ip, which Uncharted isn't at this point, does not equate to ambition.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can't imagine seeing them take any risks in the coming years, unfortunately.

While Pushmo and Rolling Western are neat, I was more so referring to a Last of Us, Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, and so forth type situation. Take one of your established and talented development teams and just let them go wild creating a new game, give it a big budget and push it at the forefront of your library. Sort of like what Nintendo used to have Rare do back in the N64 days.

Rachet & Clank? That's not a new IP.
  • Thumbs Up 1

... I wasn't talking about this generation alone, but okay.

Neither Uncharted or The Last of Us are particularly ambitious. Both use tropes,seen in countless other forms of media with Uncharted having less success. Being a new ip, which Uncharted isn't at this point, does not equate to ambition.

Just because it doesn't suit your tastes doesn't mean it isn't ambitious. Uncharted alone has already had an enormous amount of influence on the industry and is absolutely one of this generation's defining games.

But alright, give me a few minutes. I'll use more recent examples.

Edited by Discoid

All these nice Wii U bundles coming out and I've got freakin' Zombie U plastered all over my box.  Bleh.  I almost wish it had a Zombi U design for the unit and controller because then I would have probably held off getting it.

New IPs already confirmed for PS4 - 

• #DriveClub
  • Media Molecule's new game
  • The Order 1886
  • Knack

All of these are major games that we've already seen, two of which are coming at launch. All of them are being hyped up as the next big Playstation exclusives and they're all getting pushed.

When was the last time Nintendo did this? Serious question here. Wii _____ aside, anyway.

New IPs already confirmed for PS4 - 

• #DriveClub
  • Media Molecule's new game
  • The Order 1886
  • Knack

All of these are major games that we've already seen, two of which are coming at launch. All of them are being hyped up as the next big Playstation exclusives and they're all getting pushed.

When was the last time Nintendo did this? Serious question here. Wii _____ aside, anyway.

Um, Pikmin and Luigi's Mansion for the GameCube? Nintendo doesn't really do new ips, just re-invent existing ones to fit the new gameplay ideas and design they have in mind. In fact, the GameCube had the most notable new IP for Nintendo with Odawama (some crazy pinball game), Custom Robo, Cibi Robo (which got a DS sequel and 3ds e-shop app), Eternal Darkness, and Guiest (even if it was crap tongue.png). With the Wii, they just took those interesting ideas and either wrapped them into the Wii ___ brand or re-invented one of there core IP (for example, rather than making a full on action game with Team Ninja, the turned that into Other M, I think anyway with how much deviations from the Prime and Classic games the game had).

Never, but I don't really see the problem with that. Does it really matter when the new IPs come out? Edited by Red Cap-Blue Spikes

Not sure if reviving Dead IP's count? If so then you have KI:Uprising for the 3DS. For the Wii U you have Wonderful 101.

I'm not sure I'm just throwing names out there

We know next to nothing about 086, and judging from its CG reveal trailer it's probably going to be yet another fps. Knack loooks like a standard, boring platformer, DC is a standard racer, and I don't know about MM.

All of these games use the same mechanics as the ones from the previous gen, which is fine since their gameplay will most likely be refined as a result, but they're not ambitious in any way.

Also why does Nintendo need to copy Sony's business strategy again. If you didn't like the main Nintendo Ip's last gen you had tons of third party options.

We know next to nothing about 086, and judging from its CG reveal trailer it's probably going to be yet another fps. Knack loooks like a standard, boring platformer, DC is a standard racer, and I don't know about MM.

All of these games use the same mechanics as the ones from the previous gen, which is fine since their gameplay will most likely be refined as a result, but they're not ambitious in any way.

Before I take the time to actually put effort into replying, can I just confirm that this post is 100% serious and not sarcastic? 

That any game from a genre you don't like is automatically unambitious? Because trust me, I can argue very much otherwise. I just want to make sure there's actually a point in doing so.

Oh, and the 1886  trailer has been confirmed, multiple times, to be real-time.

• Thumbs Up 2

The difference between Nintendo and Sony is Nintendo will try to bring their old franchises to their next console. The only franchises Sony has brought between systems is Ratchet & Clank, Gran Turismo, and God of War. Not that keeping the same IPs through console generations is a bad thing but it means you don't see as many new IPs.

Knack loooks like a standard, boring platformer

And Super Mario 3D World is pretty standard too, doesn't mean it's bad.

• Thumbs Up 4

Also why does Nintendo need to copy Sony's business strategy again. If you didn't like the main Nintendo Ip's last gen you had tons of third party options.

Woo there, don't judge Order 1886 so quickly, as Ready at Dawn are the guys making it and they make some dam good games (pick up GOW: Ghost of Sparta or Daxter to see my point :)) and Knack is supposed to be standard, as its a throwback to the good ol' Crash Bandicoot series. Drive Club is, well a racer (there's not much you could do there to mix things up outside of having a great frame rate, great graphics and tight controls) and MM has a lot of talent in there hands (just look at Tearaway and LBP for example).

Nobody said that Nintendo had to copy Sony/Microsoft with having new IP during there launch, it would just be nice to see some fresh faces from Nintendo that complement the classic icons they have in there hands. They are trying, as Wonderful 101 and Lego City prove (and they had a lot of original IP in the GC days to boot), but they have to have the classic faces of Mario, Link, DK and the like to sell the Wii U, as the thing really isn't doing so great. They have new IP in the works (with Myamotto making one known), so let see what happens there tongue.png.

• Thumbs Up 5

Oh, and the 1886  trailer has been confirmed, multiple times, to be real-time.

What do you mean by real time? Sorry for being dumb, but do you mean real-time gameplay or just a cutscene that takes place in the real-time game engine? Because what we saw clearly was not gameplay. 

What do you mean by real time? Sorry for being dumb, but do you mean real-time gameplay or just a cutscene that takes place in the real-time game engine? Because what we saw clearly was not gameplay. 

I mean it's not CG. It's a real time cutscene.

I mean it's not CG. It's a real time cutscene.

Oh.

Well then that is rather impressive. 

Well I din't know it was real time, so if anything graphics are impressive. It still tells us little to nothing about how the actual game plays, which is a rather irritating trend in the modern video game industry.

And I never said I din't like FPS's (Bioshock Infinite is one of my favorite games this gen), but I'm very skeptical of that one in particular if the devs can't be bothered to show gameplay.

@RK64

I pretty much agree with you. I don't see why Nintendo using its established ip's along with other games (X, W101, B2, Yarn Yoshi) is seen as contemptible.

Well I din't know it was real time, so if anything graphics are impressive. It still tells us little to nothing about how the actual game plays, which is a rather irritating trend in the modern video game industry.

And I never said I din't like FPS's (Bioshock Infinite is one of my favorite games this gen), but I'm very skeptical of that one in particular if the devs can't be bothered to show gameplay.

I feel like the concept of a teaser trailer has been completely lost on you.

While I love me some Uncharted, I wouldn't call that any more of a risk than any of Nintendo's new IPs. I'd call it less of one even. Same goes for The Last of Us. Ambitious? Yeah. Maybe even too ambitious in Uncharted 3's case. 

Why we're discussing the quality of Sony's IPs here though I have no idea. 

While I love me some Uncharted, I wouldn't call that any more of a risk than any of Nintendo's new IPs. I'd call it less of one even. Same goes for The Last of Us. Ambitious? Yeah. Maybe even too ambitious in Uncharted 3's case. 

Why we're discussing the quality of Sony's IPs here though I have no idea. 

Making a new IP isn't more of a risk than banking on one you started 25 years ago?

And because we're discussing two different business practices and philosophies. I like getting new faces and new stories every generation. It's nice.

Making a new IP isn't more of a risk than banking on one you started 25 years ago?

And because we're discussing two different business practices and philosophies. I like getting new faces and new stories every generation. It's nice.

If it wasn't Uncharted? Yeah. 

I'd also wouldn't say Nintendo is afraid to take risks either(Pikmin had never actually sold well before the third game, Putting everything they had into making sure Fire Emblem Awakening sold well after the rest of the series sold like shit, Kid Icarus, etc). They're just not has big as Sony and Microsoft, so they can't take as many. 

Still waiting for that Wii Star Fox and Wii F-Zero title.

That doesn't disregard the ones they do still acknowledge and give love to despite them not pulling in big numbers.

• Thumbs Up 1

Explain.

Uncharted is a great game, But damn near everything about it has been done somewhere else. It's cliche after cliche. It's practically designed to appeal to the current gaming audience of today. It's like they read off a checklist of what popular games of the last few generations do.  It's a shame, because Uncharted 3 especially suffers for it. 

That doesn't disregard the ones they do still acknowledge and give love to despite them not pulling in big numbers.

That doesn't disregard my point about Nintendo and Sony actually being way more similar than implied.

You can say all you want that Sony only focuses on Ratchet, God of War and Gran Turismo, but that doesn't actually make it true. First of all, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time exists. You know, that game that came out February of this year.

Second, you can also just throw the same complaint right back in Nintendo's face. Nintendo only cares about the big money makers like Mario and Zelda. "Where's Star Fox? Where's F-Zero? Why did it take so many goddamn years to get a third Pikmin game?" yadda yadda. They really aren't all that different.

At least with Sony you're getting new IPs in the midst of the old faithfuls. Some of those IPs become major franchises themselves. See: Resistance, Uncharted, and inFAMOUS (which is the first of these to be making the jump to PS4)

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 5