Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Actually, the Gameboy (Color?) and N64 did that first.

...But where do you see anything about that in my post? I didn't use that as an example. The Wii U is not a handheld.

It wasn't directed at you. I was commenting on the remote play and PSP.

• Thumbs Up 1

If the controller didn't exist, we wouldn't have these two features. Would you sacrifice the ability to have a new world of gameplay and play-in-your-bed games for a cheaper controller?

Yes.

Let alone the fact that it would completely devalue the product as doing nothing but being an HD Wii. Do you REALLY want Wii Remote controls in every game? Do you just want Xbox 360 ports? I want fresh new experiences, something that has never been done before. I want Nintendo to be Nintendo - they continue to innovate (please PLEASE do not try to nitpick this word) and provide fresh experiences.

I loved my PS1. I loved my PS2. I love my PS3. I'll love my PS4.

Oh, and I also love my PC.

I don't need all this new shit I don't care about - I want new hardware and new games at a reasonable price.

Sacrifice ALL of this (and so many more potential examples) so the console can be slightly cheaper? Xbox 360 with Motion Controls over Wii U and new tablet controller experiences? Hmm

Yes. Oh, and it wouldn't be a slight difference, either. $150+ isn't slight to us middle class people.

Oh, and calling the Xbox One an "Xbox 360 with motion controls" is ridiculous and you should feel bad.

Edited by Discoid

Yes.

I loved my PS1. I loved my PS2. I love my PS3. I'll love my PS4.

Oh, and I also love my PC.

I don't need all this new shit I don't care about - I want new hardware and new games at a reasonable price.

Yes. Oh, and it wouldn't be a slight difference, either. $150+ isn't slight to us middle class people.

Oh, and calling the Xbox One an "Xbox 360 with motion controls" is ridiculous and you should feel bad.

You make some great points there; some people just cannot afford to get a Wii U if they are planning to get a PS4/X1 and even then, all the innovations the Wii U is trying to make is also on the other platforms via SmartGlass and Vita Cross-Controller integration (SmartGlass is a huge one, as many people own some form of touch screen device at this point and its compatible with them), making the "controller's expensive" excuse not enough.

I want Nintendo to be Nintendo - they continue to innovate (please PLEASE do not try to nitpick this word) 

What's "nitpicking" about people's misconstrued definition of the word "innovate"?

There are only 2 things innovative that come to mind that Nintendo has done: using 2 screens at the same time in an effective way (aka the DS, not the Wii U), and 3D without the need of glasses. Motion controls had already been done, they just weren't made into a selling point. Dual Screens had been done, and in a much more effective way (by the same damn company no less).

Other than being able to play HD games in SD on a tiny screen, what exactly is innovative about the Wii U? 

• Thumbs Up 1

I think what Auto meant was do you want an HD Wii with a new Wiimote?

If that's the case, then would the Wii U be more or less a PS3 bundled with the Move set up? In all seriousness though, Nintendo might have been in a better situation if they just did that; the system would be notably cheaper, that money they invested in the Gamepad could have be put toward achieve the graphical levels of the X1/PS4 or fund the first batch of 3rd party Wii U tittles, and throw in the more traditional controller (the classic controller pro? I think that's what the 360-ect controller they have is called), and you would have a cheaper and more competitive system than what the Wii U currently is.

That being said, I'm glad that the Wii U is what it is as the GamePad could be used in really cool ways and having Off-TV play is a feature that honestly every system should have (and that is one of the bigger selling points of the Vita, play PS4 games without using the TV).

I think what Auto meant was do you want an HD Wii with a new Wiimote?

I'd like quality Nintendo software on up-to-date, quality hardware. If that's what you mean, then yes.

... Oh, and replace "Wiimote" with "gamepad" because the Wiimote sucks ass and I hate using it.

The Wii remote does have practical uses in certain genres.

As does the Wii U gamepad.

Edited by Chaos Warp

What's "nitpicking" about people's misconstrued definition of the word "innovate"?

There are only 2 things innovative that come to mind that Nintendo has done: using 2 screens at the same time in an effective way (aka the DS, not the Wii U), and 3D without the need of glasses. Motion controls had already been done, they just weren't made into a selling point. Dual Screens had been done, and in a much more effective way (by the same damn company no less).

Other than being able to play HD games in SD on a tiny screen, what exactly is innovative about the Wii U? 

Miiverse? A social network for gaming where people are actually friendly?

Also the Gamepad is 720p.

Edited by The Kid

Due to overly strict moderation?

Also the Gamepad is 720p.

So they spent $150 on a forum.

Good for them?

So they spent $150 on a forum.

Good for them?

Because you said standard definition. 

No, they spent $150 on a lot of stuff. The Gamepad may not be completely new, but it doesn't need to be.

• Thumbs Up 1

It does to be innovative, which was my point in the first place :U

MiiVerse sort of falls under this category, although talking to people through a game system isn't exactly a new concept.

Edited by Solkia

Thanks for missing the point along with saying that I should feel bad.

I was talking about it just being a new system with the 360's generation of power (well it's more powerful but it's not a X1) and the Wii Remote controls. Not the Xbox One.

It's funny because I recall you talking about the Vita being a great buy for PS4 off play TV. ...Now it's shit you don't care about? Wow.

Because it's semantics and annoying. We discussed this like 300 times in this thread and I didn't want anyone to focus on it. It's also annoying to discuss the innovative parts of Wii U because most people haven't touched it. It's a surprise, but owning one will open up the new ways of playing. I've never played a game like NintendoLand before in my life.

With all the negativity with the Wii U, how about we lighten things up and talk about the games we are excited about coming to the system this fall :). I may not currently own one (waiting for it to come to 200-250 by next year) but there are some games I see being really fun on the system. Sonic Lost World looks the most interesting game coming thus far and with the game not only mixing things up and doing them right, but having really creative levels, great graphics, 60FPS frame rate (after seeing the game run at 60 frames from a video online, it looks so smooth blink.png) and cool wisp powers to boot.

Wind Waker HD also looks good as that looks to be a really fleshed out remake (Hero Mode, self shots, and faster sailing are all great additions) and DKC Tropical Freeze is bound to be amazing as DKCR was so good. Rayman Legends, Batman Origins and Watch Dogs would also be great 3rd party stuff to look forward to if I had one as well (plan on getting Rayman on Vita, Batman on PS3 eventry, and Watch Dogs whenever I get a PS4).

What games are you guys looking forward to this fall for the Wii U?

Because it's semantics and annoying. We discussed this like 300 times in this thread and I didn't want anyone to focus on it. It's also annoying to discuss the innovative parts of Wii U because most people haven't touched it. It's a surprise, but owning one will open up the new ways of playing. I've never played a game like NintendoLand before in my life.

1. Have you figured out why yet? Obviously not or we wouldn't keep bringing it up. You say people dismissing the "innovation" is annoying, I say people still throwing that stupid word around is annoying.

2. Kind of like how the Wii opened my eyes to how boring I found motion controls and the 3DS opened my eyes to how annoying and distracting 3D is for me? Different strokes for different folks, I know, but give me a break.

What games are you guys looking forward to this fall for the Wii U?

Sonic Lost World and Wind Waker HD have me interested. Still waiting for a new Metroid.

1. Have you figured out why yet? Obviously not or we wouldn't keep bringing it up. You say people dismissing the "innovation" is annoying, I say people still throwing that stupid word around is annoying.

Again, as I said it's all based on semantics. It's also not just the product itself, it's how it's used.

Edit: This is reminding me of some long ass post some user made about Nintendo being innovative. I really wish I saved it. :|

2. Kind of like how the Wii opened my eyes to how boring I found motion controls and the 3DS opened my eyes to how annoying and distracting 3D is for me? Different strokes for different folks, I know, but give me a break.

What I'm saying is that your opinion about how innovating the Wii U is isn't really fully developed until you actually touch the device. Just going off of "2 screens is nothing new!" argument really wants me to ship my Wii U to people.

Edited by Autosaver

Thanks for missing the point along with saying that I should feel bad.

I was talking about it just being a new system with the 360's generation of power (well it's more powerful but it's not a X1) and the Wii Remote controls. Not the Xbox One.

Sorry, I've just grown terribly used to non-Nintendo hyperbole. You know, the PS3 is just a PS2 with better graphics, the new consoles are just old consoles with better graphics, etc.

At that price it shouldn't be anywhere near the 360 in terms of power, by the way. If they had kept it how it was, but without the Gamepad and at $200? Probably would have fared a bit better. If they had used that extra money to make up-to-date hardware and kept it at $350 it'd probably have been in a much better position as well.

The Gamepad is neat. It has its uses. 

However, it simply doesn't justify the cost to most consumers, and isn't an attractive product to the masses. This isn't something you can debate, either, considering the system is dead in the water right now (though to be fair, that's because of a multitude of reasons).

Killing the Gamepad won't stop the train now, but not going with it in the first place would have been smart.

It's funny because I recall you talking about the Vita being a great buy for PS4 off play TV. ...Now it's shit you don't care about? Wow.

I think it's neat and I'd probably use it because it's there, but I sure as hell didn't buy my Vita for it, nor did I pre-order my PS4 for it.

And I'd be pretty pissed if every PS4 came with a bundled Vita and a jacked up price for that alone, because that'd be stupid and unnecessary. It's a neat gimmick, it's fun, but it's not something you bank an entire fucking system on.

Wait, are you implying the Wii U is about the same in terms of power than the 360?

Not quite, but it's a hell of a lot closer than the other two.

• Thumbs Up 1

The only problem I have is that the implication of the Gamepad holding the Wii U back. If that were true, then why is it doing so much worse in Europe where the system has been selling for LESS than the Wii's launch price (the constant sales/clearance bins yet it was reported to have only sold 10k)? It's not the gamepad, it's the games.

Again with what Nintendo said earlier this week in their interview about the price. Sure low prices are nice, but if there's no reason to justify owning one then no one will. As soon as big games come out, masses will go out and buy it.

Which one do you hear more?

"It's $350 so I'm not buying it"

OR

"The Wii U doesn't have any games that appeal to me right now so I'm not buying it"

I hear more of the second one.

I understand that, but you have to look at the situation as a whole, man. There's no single problem with the Wii U, it's a culmination of stupid decisions and outside factors that all combined to become a massive beast of a problem for Nintendo to tackle.

It isn't selling because it has no games. Right. So why doesn't it have games? Because nobody's making games for it.

Why is nobody making games for it? Because third parties and Console Nintendo haven't worked well together in decades and Nintendo's done nothing to fix that, and because nobody owns the system to justify the investment.

Why did nobody buy the system and why is it not a worthy investment? Because it's not powerful enough to get cheap ports of PS4/Xbox One games (see: Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy on Xbox One), and nobody's going to drop $350 to play ports of games they've already played or are coming out on systems they already own with only a marginal performance boost.

nobody's going to drop $350 to play ports of games they've already played or are coming out on systems they already own with only a marginal performance boost.

Exactly

Which is why I feel the Wii U will turn around after holiday season. It will also gain a huge boost with Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros 4. It will also drop to $299.99 in 2014 so I expect great things.

I understand that, but you have to look at the situation as a whole, man. There's no single problem with the Wii U, it's a culmination of stupid decisions and outside factors that all combined to become a massive beast of a problem for Nintendo to tackle.

It isn't selling because it has no games. Right. So why doesn't it have games? Because nobody's making games for it.

Why is nobody making games for it? Because third parties and Console Nintendo haven't worked well together in decades and Nintendo's done nothing to fix that, and because nobody owns the system to justify the investment.

Why did nobody buy the system and why is it not a worthy investment? Because it's not powerful enough to get cheap ports of PS4/Xbox One games (see: Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy on Xbox One), and nobody's going to drop $350 to play ports of games they've already played or are coming out on systems they already own with only a marginal performance boost.

What is the Vita's excuse then? It seems like the same problem, but the causes can't be the same.