Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Called it. $50 difference from PS4 was going to be a massacre.

Well, it's still going to be a massacre alright but now perhaps there will be enough left to identify the corpse.

At any rate, my dream of a $199 Bayo2 bundle draws nearer :3

$200 Bayonetta 2 bundle? What are you smoking? A normal bundle, sure, but $200?

Also, how is it being $100 cheaper than the PS4 still going to mean a "massacre"?

• Thumbs Up 2

Considering he described the Wii U as a corpse and said it was going to be massacred along with the fact he suggested a $200 Wii U means don't take him seriously.

He can dream, forever.

I was so glad to read this news this afternoon when I got online. I was planning on getting a WiiU this october if I could and this will definately help in that. Being able to save an extra $50 will be wonderful. $300 is much easier to get than $350 for obvious reasons. That same $50 can now be thrown into the Sonic game instead of the console itself. Such great news.

I so wish I could get that Zelda Wii U. Special edition gamepad AND $60 game? Damn it...  It would have matched my Zelda Wii Remote too.

It's what I get for buying the system at launch. ;_;

$200 Bayonetta 2 bundle? What are you smoking? A normal bundle, sure, but $200?

Also, how is it being $100 cheaper than the PS4 still going to mean a "massacre"?

I'm exaggerating a bit but given how things are shaping up, by the end of 2014 the WiiU will probably drop to  ~250 monies and I fully expect Bayo to get some bundles that I will purchase very hard :3

It's going to be a "massacre" in the sense that there is (or appears to be) actual demand for PS4/Xbone, while the WiiU has actually offered the 300 price + some quality first party games for a while now with no significant improvements. The WiiU can have a decent Christmas, it's looking like they might start actually TRYING to sell the goddamn thing - but a lot of damage has been done. Hell, if PS4 and Xbone don't do fantastic in comparison either a miracle happened or the industry is dead and it's all mobile gaming forever.

One of the big reason the xbox and ps4 are going to sell at first is thats where all those people that want violent games and shooters are all running to at the moment. I don't really call myself that kind of gamer. Those people are all about graphics and shooters and lots of violent games, which while I may be into a bit. I'm a more traditional gamer. I don't mean to stereotype the people that are buying those consoles, since I would get them eventually most likely. The WiiU just looks more like a traditional gaming platform and besides the fact it gets the sonic games, it just appears to be more like what I expect out of a company and console. The other two, just seem to be getting so caught up in being in a business setting that they sometimes forget about the customers, which is sad because alot of gaming companies are getting that way today.

I do hope the price drop helps boost this console a bit more, because it does need it and I think deserves it.

No shit there's demand for the PS4.

And no, it has not offered the $300 price for a while now. Well, I guess the Basic but that was pure shit. It also hasn't had a steady stream of first party titles yet.

Call me post holiday. Any comparisons now are meaningless.

Edited by Autosaver

I'll call you maybe

The other two, just seem to be getting so caught up in being in a business setting that they sometimes forget about the customers, which is sad because alot of gaming companies are getting that way today.

They do remember the customers enough to provide working digital account services at least.

One of the big reason the xbox and ps4 are going to sell at first is thats where all those people that want violent games and shooters are all running to at the moment. I don't really call myself that kind of gamer. Those people are all about graphics and shooters and lots of violent games, which while I may be into a bit. I'm a more traditional gamer. I don't mean to stereotype the people that are buying those consoles, since I would get them eventually most likely. The WiiU just looks more like a traditional gaming platform and besides the fact it gets the sonic games, it just appears to be more like what I expect out of a company and console. The other two, just seem to be getting so caught up in being in a business setting that they sometimes forget about the customers, which is sad because alot of gaming companies are getting that way today.

I do hope the price drop helps boost this console a bit more, because it does need it and I think deserves it.

That's kinda generalizing things a bit there; the PS4 has a number of games that aren't super violent between Knack and the many indie games coming at launch/around launch (even then there are a number of free to play shooters, so I guess my point gets negated there tongue.png). And what to you mean by it being all about business? Of course its a business as these systems and games have to sell for these companies to make more of them (same thing applies with Nintendo; why does Mario get so many spin-offs when they could have been original IP's? Because put Mario's face on anything and it sells because he's such a famous icon, not to mention be known for having a output of quality games) and with Sony being so pro consumer with anti-DRM and fully supporting indies, its hard to single them out for being all about money (Microsoft is a very different story though...).

No shit there's demand for the PS4.

And no, it has not offered the $300 price for a while now. Well, I guess the Basic but that was pure shit. It also hasn't had a steady stream of first party titles yet.

Call me post holiday. Any comparisons now are meaningless.

You're right about the price; even though the Basic was an option, you needed that 32 GB of space for the OS updates and even then a measly 8 GB is not enough for storage (it is a notable steep up for the Wii's 512MB of Flash Storage though)

That's kinda generalizing things a bit there; the PS4 has a number of games that aren't super violent between Knack and the many indie games coming at launch/around launch (even then there are a number of free to play shooters, so I guess my point gets negated there tongue.png). And what to you mean by it being all about business? Of course its a business as these systems and games have to sell for these companies to make more of them (same thing applies with Nintendo; why does Mario get so many spin-offs when they could have been original IP's? Because put Mario's face on anything and it sells because he's such a famous icon, not to mention be known for having a output of quality games) and with Sony being so pro consumer with anti-DRM and fully supporting indies, its hard to single them out for being all about money (Microsoft is a very different story though...).

I do know Sony is the better of the two options when it comes to consumers. Microsoft is definately a different story definately. I know I was generalizing a bit as well. What I was trying to get across is that the type of gamers that want to praise the xbox and PS4 are often time the type of customer that nintendo is targeting. These people that are all about what is the most high tech and what has the best graphics and massive multiplayer options, aren't going to want nintendo just for those general reasons. I just find it sad that people more these days bash on the other companies and people that like those companies than just letting them be. If these people dont want nintendo systems thats one thing, but when they start giving all these bash worthy excuses as to why  they wont buy and why you shouldn't either, its just sad.

I do know Sony is the better of the two options when it comes to consumers. Microsoft is definately a different story definately. I know I was generalizing a bit as well. What I was trying to get across is that the type of gamers that want to praise the xbox and PS4 are often time the type of customer that nintendo is targeting. These people that are all about what is the most high tech and what has the best graphics and massive multiplayer options, aren't going to want nintendo just for those general reasons. I just find it sad that people more these days bash on the other companies and people that like those companies than just letting them be. If these people dont want nintendo systems thats one thing, but when they start giving all these bash worthy excuses as to why  they wont buy and why you shouldn't either, its just sad.

If people don't make their voices (and wallets) heard, nobody's going to bother fixing what's wrong. The constant Xbone 180s are a good example that have turned a horrid product into something mildly acceptable at parties.

All the -partly deserved, you'd have to agree- lambasting and low sales gets me a better WiiU, with more games for less money. And perhaps gives Nintendo a wake up call to not skimp on their next system/services/3rd party relationships/promoting/whatever.

A price drop?  Cool.

Where's my Ambassador program with 10 free GBA and NES games Nintendo?

6D9bVja.gif

• Thumbs Up 3

A price drop?  Cool.

Where's my Ambassador program with 10 free GBA and NES games Nintendo?

Because its only a $50 dollar price cut 10 months after release, while the 3DS had a price drop of $80 4 months after release.

This website shows that the only three consoles in the past three generations have not gotten a price cut in one year. The Wii and PS2 sold like hotcakes so their was no need for a price drop, while the 360 has such a great price advantage over the PS3 there was no need to cut the price. The PS1 cut its price by $100 just 9 months after release and the N64 went down $50 7 months after release. The Gamecube and Xbox both cut their prices $50 dollars 7 months after release too. The PS3 was $100 cheaper by the end of its first year. The 3DS was the exception to the rule in terms of reimbursement for price cuts.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think Nintendo spoiled people with their ambassador games. Systems get price cuts all the time.

I think Nintendo spoiled people with their ambassador games. Systems get price cuts all the time.

I'm happy with no Ambassador Programme. Of course I'd like one (who wouldn't? :P) but I feel that I've had plenty to enjoy with my Wii U and don't regret getting it at launch. Still, Nintendo could always do something that's a much lesser scale than the 3DS Ambassador Programme. A couple of SNES games, or a single GCN game would certainly go down well.

• Thumbs Up 2

About time. This will give it an edge against the PS4 this holiday season for sure.

Shame they're not selling any 32GB white Wii Us though, despite them phasing out the 8GB nobody wants.

I have a White 8GB.

White is best colour ok?

*sticks tongue out*

I'll clarify that as of now nobody wants the white 8GB Wii U. :U

Edited by Yeow

Is there really any difference between the two other than color and storage space?

Yes. Premium includes a charging cradle, Wii U stand and Nintendo Network Premium, where you earn points back on your digital purchases.

Usually takes a wee bit longer than five months for the price to drop that steeply, tho'. I was pretty upset seeing the price get slashed just two months after I got mine. 

Wii U's had more time on the market and the drop wasn't as steep, though, so I'd say it's alright. Definitely never buying a Nintendo system near launch again though.

Yes. Premium includes a charging cradle, Wii U stand and Nintendo Network Premium, where you earn points back on your digital purchases.

The one thing I've been wondering about the two versions when I've been considering one is that I WONT be downloading games for it. If its not a physical disk, likely I wont be interested in it. There may be some later, but that's normally how I feel about it. Is the Premium still worth it to me then? I've been curious about this.

Wii U's had more time on the market and the drop wasn't as steep, though, so I'd say it's alright. Definitely never buying a Nintendo system near launch again though.

Let's be honest, with how much Nintendo irks you, were you ever really going to anyways? 

• Thumbs Up 5

Let's be honest, with how much Nintendo irks you, were you ever really going to anyways? 

I bought a 3DS three months after launch on Pokemon and Ace Attorney hype alone. Hadn't played OoT yet so that was neat, and Kid Icarus Uprising is one of my all time favorite games. 

Also loved my DS lite - got a lot of use out of that for sure. The entire concept of the Wii pisse me off though and the only Wii U game's I'd be interested in playing for the next few months are W101, DKCR, and Wind Waker (which I still believe is selling for at least twenty dollars more than it should be). So yeah, as far as I'm concerned Handheld Nintendo kicks ass and Console Nintendo sucks ass.

Still not buying their next handheld until I know they won't be doing any bullshit price drops ten seconds after I buy it.