Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Already got W101, getting Rayman this week, but looking forward to WW HD, Sonic Lost World, DKCTF, Mario 3D World.

One thing's for sure - Nintendo's gonna bleed my wallet dry this holiday.

• Thumbs Up 4

Wind Waker costs too much whenever its paired with a pricedropped version of the Deluxe Edition and technically given to you for free? :v

The amount of logic going around in this topic is kind of baffling. The Wii U is doing the exact same thing that happened to the 3DS. It sits around for a while without much sales and almost no games besides things people wouldn't go out of their way to buy consoles for, and then suddenly the good games come in and it sells like hotcakes.

I remember the good old days when everyone was saying the 3DS was an awful brick of a console without any value. Good times. Gooood times. "Drop out of the console race" indeed.

Edited by Azookara
  • Thumbs Up 4

Wind Waker costs too much whenever its paired with a pricedropped version of the Deluxe Edition and technically given to you for free? :v

The amount of logic going around in this topic is kind of baffling. The Wii U is doing the exact same thing that happened to the 3DS. It sits around for a while without much sales and almost no games besides things people wouldn't go out of their way to buy consoles for, and then suddenly the good games come in and it sells like hotcakes.

I remember the good old days when everyone was saying the 3DS was an awful brick of a console without any value. Good times. Gooood times. "Drop out of the console race" indeed.

Well, the 3ds was in an interesting case, as Nintendo's history in there handhelds (not to mention handheld exclusive series they have like the Pokémon RPG's) and with those handhelds getting strong 3rd party support (at least from Japan), all Nintendo had to do was drop the price to a reasonable value and BAM, sales (especially with Sony not going all out with Vita, sure they put there big series like Uncharted and Wipeout on Vita, but you don't see there huge teams like SSM or Naughty Dog making handheld games like how Nintendo does, for example the Galaxy team made 3d Land).

With the Wii U, its a very interesting case as Nintendo home consoles are known exclusively for there first party tittles and the odd 3rd party game, making them wonderful secondary consoles. The issue was the price being to expensive to get it just for the Nintendo games, but with the small price drop and a strong line up of games coming this fall (not to mention some solid 3rd party games too), all the eggs are in the basket for Nintendo to turn the Wii U into a profitable system, even if its only peoples second system like the Wii.

Edited by RK64

So the Wii U finally got a price drop? Cool. I can buy my brother and sister one for Christmas instead of buying them both guns like I was going to.

Can I just say, you always know how to defuse the tension, Tornado. <3

Man, I can't wait for Sonic Lost World, Donkey Kong, and Mario how about you guys huh?

Just finished Pikmin 3, so I'm awaiting the Wonderful 101 now. Goddamn, Pikmin 3 was so good.

Hoping to buy myself a Wii U soon, especially with the price drop, how much will it be in the UK after the drop? It ranges from £300 to £250 depending on the store, will it have a £50 drop here or is it less??

If I get my £250 bonus from work this month I'll be golden! Then it's saving up for SLW and WWHD with the figure!

Reggie on the PS4/Xbox One launch lineups: "Meh"

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/08/28/nintendo-president-on-ps4-xbox-one-launch-lineups-meh

eWkqQdG.gif

I personally think he has no right to say this considering it took Nintendo almost a year to get a game worth buying on the Wii U, hell look at the atrocious 3DS launch...

There are 3 games coming to the PS4 which I'm buying and will enjoy very much, not to mention all the free-to-play games and indie games. I'd go as far as to say that the PS4/Xbox One have the best launch lineup in gaming history, so many AAA games available on Day 1 and sure you can get those games on current gen but the next gen version will be miles better, with the best example being Battlefield 4 (64 players + 60fps with excellent graphics vs 24 players + 30fps with meh graphics along with technical issues)

Don't get too cocky just because you have Mario and Zelda, Nintendo. The PS4 will sell over a million at launch and that's a third of how many Wii U's are in the world.

Edited by KrazyBean
  • Thumbs Up 2

Well his job is to persuade people to buy his product rather than the competitors.

He can't much say "yeah we've been running things kinda shittily the last year, and the PS4 is probably gonna kick our ass, but we got a few games coming this year so if you wanna buy our system that'd be pretty cool."

Edited by Chili Dawg
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Big 3 talk mad shit about each other all the time. Remember when Jack Tretton called the 3DS a "baby sitting tool"?

Edited by Red Cap-Blue Spikes
  • Thumbs Up 4

I wouldn't say Reggie is wrong, the launch titles, especially the PS4's aren't exactly anything special. Nintendo's holiday line up is looking much better.

It is pretty funny hearing Nintendo say something about others line-ups after what happened with the 3Ds and Wii U (Though the Wii U had an ok launch line-up)

• Thumbs Up 2

The Big 3 talk mad shit about each other all the time. Remember when Jack Tretton called the 3DS a "baby sitting tool"?

He predicted 8/28.

I do get rather tired of hearing all the Nintendo smack that takes place everywhere. I know each person has their own preference when it comes to games, consoles and lineups, but it does get old after awhile with all the arguing. I know it may just be me, but doesn't the console bashing get rather old to others as well? I know the WiiU may not be the most wonderfully wonderous thing in the world, but it doesn't look like crap at all like I see so many people on other sites and out there try and push onto others.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hoping to buy myself a Wii U soon, especially with the price drop, how much will it be in the UK after the drop? It ranges from £300 to £250 depending on the store, will it have a £50 drop here or is it less??

If I get my £250 bonus from work this month I'll be golden! Then it's saving up for SLW and WWHD with the figure!

Seems to be a £30 drop in the UK. The new Wind Waker bundle is being listed for £30 less than the Nintendo Land bundle at GAME. A Lego City Undercover bundle is also listed there for the same price.

http://www.game.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/AjaxCatalogSearchView?searchTermScope=&searchType=&catGroupId=&filterTerm=&filterTermOperator=&langId=44&attributeName1=Catalog_GameSalesCatalog_EN_GB&catgrpSchemaType=&RASchemaType=&sType=SimpleSearch&filterType=&resultCatEntryType=2&catalogId=10201&sortColumn=popular&searchTerm=wii+u&listerOnly=true&categoryType=&searchTermOperator=&sortTypeStr=DESC&storeId=10151&attributeValue1=4294967278&inStockOnly=false

I do get rather tired of hearing all the Nintendo smack that takes place everywhere. I know each person has their own preference when it comes to games, consoles and lineups, but it does get old after awhile with all the arguing. I know it may just be me, but doesn't the console bashing get rather old to others as well? I know the WiiU may not be the most wonderfully wonderous thing in the world, but it doesn't look like crap at all like I see so many people on other sites and out there try and push onto others.

I don't think that the Wii U is crap, otherwise I wouldn't have one. I just feel like it'll be a bit lackluster compared to the PS4. I bought one for the exclusives and I'm going to buy the PS4 for everything else. I am using my Wii U as a secondary console, but Nintendo still have my money so it doesn't matter at the end of the day really.

One person's meh is another person's must buy as they say. Different people have different tastes so if you are into platformers and Zelda, the Wii U line up looks good but if you are into FPS, racing games, action games or sports games then the PS4/Xbone or even the PS3/360 might be more suitable.

Anyway in more positive news, apart from the big 3 platformers I'm also looking forward to The 90s Arcade Racer (even though that's on PC too) that's probably coming out next year on the eShop. It's like Daytona and Scud Race made love together and that's the result. Last time I checked, there are now 6 stages inspired by Daytona (Island Long = Seaside Street Galaxy, Oval Speedway = Beginner Track from Daytona 2, Mountain = Dinosaur Canyon with a mix of Mountain from Sega Rally) and Scud Race (the Airport) plus the new cars are very Sega like. Not only it looks gorgeous but also confirmed to run at 60fps on the Wii U.

One person's meh is another person's must buy as they say. Different people have different tastes so if you are into platformers and Zelda, the Wii U line up looks good but if you are into FPS, racing games, action games or sports games then the PS4/Xbone or even the PS3/360 might be more suitable.

Anyway in more positive news, apart from the big 3 platformers I'm also looking forward to The 90s Arcade Racer (even though that's on PC too) that's probably coming out next year on the eShop. It's like Daytona and Scud Race made love together and that's the result. Last time I checked, there are now 6 stages inspired by Daytona (Island Long = Seaside Street Galaxy, Oval Speedway = Beginner Track from Daytona 2, Mountain = Dinosaur Canyon with a mix of Mountain from Sega Rally) and Scud Race (the Airport) plus the new cars are very Sega like. Not only it looks gorgeous but also confirmed to run at 60fps on the Wii U.

I remember following the guy during the kickstarter, he's from retro you know?

Also its running at 60fps, and look at these new cars!!!

x64f.jpg

ci4l.jpg

Think I am going to buy this day one XD

Full portfolio with these new cars and ingame http://www.racer445.com/90s.html

Edited by Mandobardanjusik
  • Thumbs Up 2

Ahh thanks :) So it's pretty much going down to £250 everywhere, unless Amazin lower theirs my £30 aswell (which I doubt). So I'll either get the city bundle or a regular black one (I want that exclusive figure!!)

I look at our lineup of titles and I feel good about our lineup. We’ve got Zelda. We’ve got Mario. We’ve got Donkey Kong.

I think my favorite thing about this quote is that they literally could have said it verbatim over twenty years ago and it still would have been relevant.

• Thumbs Up 5

LEGO City Undercover EU bundle - boxart

91784_WiiU_HW_PREM_PACK_LEGO_CITY_PS_UKV

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=211073

Nintendo being very shady about basic Wii U status

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=211074

Sounds like the Basic model is being phased out.

Wow, a Wind Waker HD and a Lego City Bundle...smart moves Nintendo; give players a great game right out of the box (not dissing Nintendo Land but having great traditional games in a bundle is really cool) :). I hope they also have a Cool Blue Lost World bundle and a retro-NES inspired Wii U with Mario 3d World (and a bulk of the VC Mario's) bundle too.

I think my favorite thing about this quote is that they literally could have said it verbatim over twenty years ago and it still would have been relevant.

At least those franchises are still have good to great quality to them, so I don't see the issue there happy.png. It wouldn't kill them to have some new IPs though, but at least there trying with X, Wonderful 101 and Lego City (Bayonetta 2 counts to an extent there to as the original was never on Nintendo platforms).

The new IP's will come eventually. Nintendo always makes at least a couple new franchises per system, most recent example being the 3DS with Dillon's Rolling Western and Pushmo.

The new IP's will come eventually. Nintendo always makes at least a couple new franchises per system, most recent example being the 3DS with Dillon's Rolling Western and Pushmo.

Wasn't Miyamoto also working on a new IP for Wii U?

Wasn't Miyamoto also working on a new IP for Wii U?

Yes. IIRC, he's planning on rolling out 3 new IPs for the Wii U. He's said so multiple times and I'm surprised that everyone's so quick to forget about it.
  • Thumbs Up 6

I can't imagine seeing them take any risks in the coming years, unfortunately.

While Pushmo and Rolling Western are neat, I was more so referring to a Last of Us, Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, and so forth type situation. Take one of your established and talented development teams and just let them go wild creating a new game, give it a big budget and push it at the forefront of your library. Sort of like what Nintendo used to have Rare do back in the N64 days.