Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

I'm just going to add to my previous converstation that the whole idea of thinking holding off on that long would be worth it is ludicrous. Most Nintendo IPs, save for Metroid, sell 4-6 million each time one is released. You're saying, Stingray, that somehow waiting a bit longer is going to make them MORE than releasing 2 Zelda games to make 10-12 million? That's dumb. I really should have said this in the first place.

Edit: Also, how is CoD and Zelda even an apt comparison? CoD is the Madden of FPS games, the developers are forced to roll out a new release every single year, meaning very little change with each installment. A Zelda game takes at least three years in development and is delayed if Nintendo doesn't think it's good enough yet, something Activision would never do. Once we see Nintendo releasing Zelda Madden style you can start saying they're the same but, that's not happening and is unlikely to ever happen. Seriously, do you not know the difference between 1 and 3-5 years?

Edited by Crow T. Robot
  • Thumbs Up 2

They should name it the Wii-iiW......or Pnes.

Going back to the arguement this morning, I just want to say something about whoever said Nintendo should skip a generation with some franchises.This doesn't work as much as you think it would.

Example: Mother in japan, sold 400,000 copies. Earthbound, being released 5 years after Mother, sold 140,000 copies in North America, and about twice that number in Japan. Granted the Mother series wasn't popular until, Mother 2, but let's go to Mother 3.

Mother 3, skipping two generations, being released 12 years after the last game, with tons of fans online clamoring for it, only sold 365,682 copies. The GBA was at the end of it's lifetime yes, but the DS could play GBA games, so that certainly isn't the excuse.

The idea of putting off a franchise for a couple of years, in order for more people to buy it, simply wouldn't work.

(Also, hate to break some people's bubbles, but the last F-Zero game, sold 5,000 copies total. The series never sold well, so Nintendo certainly isn't going to waste thier time on a game only 5 or 6,000 people would buy. The series is finished I'm afraid, unless someone can show Nintendo that the next F-Zero game would sell millions.)

Edited by Nintendoga
  • Thumbs Up 2

RE: Zelda.

Crap, I forgot it's 2012. Something in my head made me think it was 2010. Okay, so it was... 3 titles. Excluding OoT3D. I was apparently really tired last night as I had a long day so maybe I went a little overboard. Nintendo doesn't need to make any major adjustments to its business model, at least not for the time being, but I still believe that in general, IPs work best when synced to fit with the current culture and market. Zelda shouldn't need to be taken out of the loop, maybe it's on that same list as Mario and Pokemon, but at the same time I do think since Nintendo's been turning the Wii's crank extra hard since third party hasn't been helping them, they've developed a physiological need to be mass-market, but since the Wii U is getting more of that support, potential action-adventure titles will probably dilute interest in Zelda; I really think if another popular fantasy adventure comes out on the Wii, around the same time the next Zelda game hits the shelves, that might cause some split in sales. It doesn't HAVE to be the case, but Nintendo should be wise to pick and choose how they spread the release of IPs, as while the third party supports a console, it's also a competitor.

Except Retro existed for several years before Nintendo bought them.

Yes. But the point is that Nintendo bought them. Now they neither have the second-party ability to decide to or be commissioned to develop for another console or the third-party ability to completely develop independently of console manufacturers. Naughty Dog was bought by Sony and became one of their first-party developers, so how is Retro different? Hell, Rare, as you brought up was in Nintendo's second-party, and now their in Microsoft's first.

Edited by SuperStingray

Yes. But the point is that Nintendo bought them. Now they neither have the second-party ability to decide to or be commissioned to develop for another console or the third-party ability to completely develop independently of console manufacturers. Naughty Dog was bought by Sony and became one of their first-party developers, so how is Retro different? Hell, Rare, as you brought up was in Nintendo's second-party, and now their in Microsoft's first.
Edited by Tornado

I actually think Retro Studios is now a subsidiary of Nintendo, like Intelligent Systems and Hal, making it a first party developer. Nintendo's second parties are things like Next Level Games, Alpha Dream, and Genius Sonority.

Edited by Crow T. Robot

Funny thing about that:

DiddyKongRacingDS_boxart.jpg

I'm well aware that "Second Party" is somewhat of a misnomer, but it is generally used to describe a developer bought out by a console publisher but not integrated into the rest of the company (or, occasionally, a game developed by a third party and published by the console maker). Like Rare was for Nintendo and Microsoft before it was turned into Waggleware. Like Naughty Dog was until the PS3 came out. Like how Visual Concepts was for Sega on the Dreamcast before Sega sold them to Take 2. Like how Retro Studios still is today.

Edited by SuperStingray

OLD.

Seriously, though. I remember that joke from forever ago. If they're going to change the name, I have a feeling they're going to change the name completely.

Nintendo is finally current gen:

Nintendo Confirms Nintendo Network

Wii U to get individual online accounts.

Nintendo has finally confirmed its plans for the Nintendo Network, a formal, branded service for the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U. Outlining the concept in brief during an investor's program, company president Satoru Iwata confirmed the online infrastructure is already in place for the service.

Iwata quickly drew a contrast with his company's previous Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection program:

"Unlike Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, which has been focused upon specific functionalities and concepts, we are aiming to establish a platform where various services available through the network for our consumers shall be connected via Nintendo Network service so that the company can make comprehensive proposals to consumers."

The publisher's plans are as follows:

• Personal Accounts for Wii U - Nintendo will now allow personalized accounts for its next home console, which will allow multiple users per system. Online profiles will no longer be system-based. "We will also be able to construct and offer the [personal account system] by combining a variety of different services and content," Iwata said.
  • Digitally Distributed Packaged Software -Nintendo is exploring the idea of selling full retail games through the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U. The company is not willing to say when this program will start, but it now has the full ability to do so. Iwata noted Nintendo would need to consider retailer relationships first. He also noted SD card space limitations would be another factor. "The significance of this business field will increase," said Iwata.
  • Paid Downloadable Content - As we've heard previously, publishers will now be able to offer paid DLC for different games, starting with Square's Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, which will allow players to purchase new songs for the rhythm-based game. The title releases in Japan on February 16.

"As a software maker, Nintendo believes that its packaged software should be sold to our consumers in a form so that the consumers will know in advance that they can enjoy playing the software they purchased just as it is," Iwata said. "We believe that our consumers will be able to feel more secure if we offer our add-on content as an additional structure in which those who love the game will be able to enjoy it in a deeper way for a prolonged play time."

Iwata wrapped the Nintendo Network segment of his investor presentation with the following statement: "Whether it's our first-party titles or third parties' titles, for a number of games, we will actively attempt to achieve compatibility so that our consumers can enjoy our online services that we will deploy under the name of the Nintendo Network."

http://wii.ign.com/articles/121/1217360p1.html

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 5

About damn time, Nintendo. I'm happy to hear this, but hopefully we hear of some more original ideas for Nintendo Network later down the line, too.

Better late than never I suppose.

Now there's still the issues about Nintendo and online safety, when they stop treating us like babies online, then they'll finally be current gen

Wii U has some sort of scanner type thing:

Wii U Controller Has New Functionality

Nintendo's touch screen controller for the Wii U is now becoming a more powerful tool for communication. During the latest investor conference for the company, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata confirmed "NFC functionality" would be featured in the tablet device.

NFC, short for Near Field Communication, is a communication standard which allows for wireless distribution of information. Iwata described the uses of NFC to investors in this way:

"By installing this functionality, it will become possible to create cards and figurines that can electronically read and write data via noncontact NFC and to expand the new play format in the video game world. Adoption of this functionality will enable various other possibilities such as using it as a means of making micropayments."

It remains to be seen just how Nintendo plans to make use of the Wii U controller's NFC abilities. In addition to communicating with its own system, the tablet could conceivably relay information to other Wii U systems or controllers.

So much news all of a sudden @,@

• Thumbs Up 2

Almost a decade later Nintendo shamelessly copies their competitors to get on with the times. About fucking time, their "original" attempts at online "services" were a big pile of shit. Still expecting some sort of fuck up, like friend codes still in place of chosen usernames or other hilarious hijinks.

But hey, purchases are finally being tied to accounts! I might actually buy shit from them now. I want to play the LaMulana remake so bad...

Now there's still the issues about Nintendo and online safety, when they stop treating us like babies online, then they'll finally be current gen

Almost a decade later Nintendo shamelessly copies their competitors to get on with the times. About fucking time, their "original" attempts at online "services" were a big pile of shit. Still expecting some sort of fuck up, like friend codes still in place of chosen usernames or other hilarious hijinks.

But hey, purchases are finally being tied to accounts! I might actually buy shit from them now. I want to play the LaMulana remake so bad...

How is it shamelessly? A lot of online services had multiple users BEFORE the 360.

rename it "THE Nintendo"

shit would practically print money by itself.

I'm still open to the Nintendo Optima, Nintendo Stream, Nintendo Wii-iiW, or Nintendo Revolution

Actually, I think earlier on in this thread, Nintendo announced that they were getting rid of FCs.

I'm just hoping for a drop of friend codes altogether with the Wii U and the drop of not being able to communicate (via text or voice) with random people. I shouldn't have to have someone added to my FL just to communicate with them via text/voice.

Only reason I actually like Friend codes is because it gives you the freedom to change your "user" name to whatever you want.

I don't think Nintendo's going to bring back friend codes; they're really not going to win back the hardcore market like they plan to if they don't try to mimic Microsoft and Sony's online architecture with the Nintendo Network. But there's still the possibility we'll be bombarded with parental warnings every time we log on.

I don't think Nintendo's going to bring back friend codes; they're really not going to win back the hardcore market like they plan to if they don't try to mimic Microsoft and Sony's online architecture with the Nintendo Network. But there's still the possibility we'll be bombarded with parental warnings every time we log on.

As long as I can actually befriend someone who has the same skill and fun level as me in the next Mario Kart/Smash Bros. game, instead of saying goodbye forever to them because we couldn't friend anonymous people, I'm down.

EDIT: Like seriously though, that really pissed me off on the Wii.

Edited by Nintendoga
  • Thumbs Up 1

That says nothing about the abolition of friend codes.

I mean, there won't be any almost assuredly.

But... it's Nintendo. You never know. They could end up selling an Online Username Pro attachment or something.