Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

PSO was far, far smaller in scale; to the extent that it's hard to even categorize them as being the same genre as something like WoW.

And outside of FFXI and that PS2 Everquest game, that's the only game of it's ilk that has ever had any success on consoles.

Edited by Tornado

Well, Dragon Quest X is an MMO and it's coming to Wii U. Not implying the WoW stuff is true, but Wii U is already getting an MMO.

Because it is an MMO.

An age old MMO with software that could be run with chicken scratch today.

Edited by VisionaryBlur

The technical specifications aren't the problem. An Xbox could run the actual game. The problem is the online. Assuming for a while that it'd be integrated with PC in lieu of Portal 2 and BlazBlue's Console/PC crossplay, it's incredibly hard to believe that a console publisher, let alone Nintendo of all people, can build an infrastructure with an online service capable enough to carry all of it it. We're talking about over a billion players all connected at once, constantly interacting while being up to shenanigans.

The only way this would be remotely possible is if it's an exclusive off-shoot MMO more like Final Fantasy XII with it's entirely own infrastructure and base. Which is just pretty redundant because very few people who still pay for WoW subscriptions are probably interested in a scaled down gimmick-version.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, Dragon Quest X is an MMO and it's coming to Wii U. Not implying the WoW stuff is true, but Wii U is already getting an MMO.

And that's Squeenix making a rather massive gamble that the game won't absolutely bomb outside of Japan. As it is, they have guaranteed enough sales simply by being a DQ game to float it in Japan for a while, so even that doesn't face the problems that WoW (or any other MMO) would at this point.

Edited by Tornado

I'm going to ask a question...what games are currently announced for launch-titles for Wii-U?

Darksiders 2 dev: Wii U hardware "on par" with current gen

This contradicts what the technical director said last year about it being more powerful.

Only it doesn't, if you read what was actually said. The developer isn't going to upgrade the graphics for the Wii U version, because they run just fine as they are. 'The game's developer, Vigil, said Darksiders 2 on Wii U will be "pretty much the same" as the PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions, and confirmed it won't do anything to "up-rez" it for Nintendo's next console. . . "We have limitations based on Nintendo's progress . . . So far the hardware's been on par with what we have with the current generations."'

This sounds more like the dev kit isn't up to full final specs, but currently matches the current consoles at minimum. It doesn't mean the final console won't be more powerful than what they're programming on now.

Only it doesn't, if you read what was actually said. The developer isn't going to upgrade the graphics for the Wii U version, because they run just fine as they are. 'The game's developer, Vigil, said Darksiders 2 on Wii U will be "pretty much the same" as the PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions, and confirmed it won't do anything to "up-rez" it for Nintendo's next console. . . "We have limitations based on Nintendo's progress . . . So far the hardware's been on par with what we have with the current generations."'

This sounds more like the dev kit isn't up to full final specs, but currently matches the current consoles at minimum. It doesn't mean the final console won't be more powerful than what they're programming on now.

I'm not entirely sure that's true....Do all console makers hand out underpowered demo kits? Seems illogical to me.

I'm not entirely sure that's true....Do all console makers hand out underpowered demo kits? Seems illogical to me

Saturn. N64. PS2. PS3.

It's not that they are intentionally doing it (well, Nintendo was with the N64). It's that it takes a while for ones to come out that aren't shitty.

I'm not entirely sure that's true....Do all console makers hand out underpowered demo kits? Seems illogical to me.

How do you make modern computer components that are weaker than those in the PS360?

• Thumbs Up 4

I don't know, it seems like BS to me. Plus these same sources say that you can only use one tablet controller per console, and weren't we told that technically you can use two?

I'll take it with a grain of salt until the actual sources come forward.

Doesn't everyone have a different perspective on the matter, I mean I know I've heard a few sources say that the Wii U exceeds the 360/PS3. Really, let's just wait for some official stuff on the matter

How could anyone believe that? Actual reputable developers like SEGA, Gearbox, and Vigil have said their devkits are more powerful than the 360 and PS3.

• Thumbs Up 4

Oh man the Cows and the Lemmings are going to have a field day if this is true.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't exactly see why anyone is giving this any merit, considering all other reports have said "on par" or "better". You know, the reports from sources that aren't actually anonymous. Well, that and IBM and AMD also said the parts they were providing were better than what you'd find in a PS3 or 360 (not like that's a hard thing to do at this point).

Edited by Crow T. Robot
  • Thumbs Up 2

I don't exactly see why anyone is giving this any merit, considering all other reports have said "on par" or "better". You know, the reports from sources that aren't actually anonymous.

Guys, guys, chill. The constant flip-flopping with regards to the WiiU specs is because the flux capacitor in existing devkits isn't finalized. As such, the hardware keeps fluctuating between generations. Happenings in Libya last year made the acquisition of plutonium more difficult for Nintendo, but they'll manage to stabilize it by E3.

As a last resort, they still have a bunch of duct-tape left over.

• Thumbs Up 5

Definetly some of this are fake. Because first there was an "on par" rumor, then a "powerful" rumor and now this "less powerful". All this is confusing everyone

I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the dev kits. From what I know, the lowest quality dev kit might no be as strong as the standard PS3 and 360 while, the latest dev kits (that have only been sent to the larger developers so far) are the ones that are supposedly stronger than the PS3 and 360.