Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

The Wii U not having DVD support doesn't mean it can't be a strong multimedia device. There are rumors floating about that Nintendo has approached people about porting iOS apps over to the Wii U.eBooks where specifically mentioned in another.

The rumor was that Nintendo was thinking of having an Ios like store for the Wii-U's Wii-Uware games. Though the ebook I can see happening too.

We already have Hulu and Netflix on the 3DS, and if you hit menu at the upper left hand corner of the eShop and use the search feature, you'll find a few interesting game genres, like News and Communication (the former being empty and the latter being Swapnote and... Pokedex 3D?).

That doesn't mean anything. The Wii had a news channel, weather channel, Internet channel, and the other channels that were released in Japan only, like that TV Streaming channel. It's not hard to see them releasing some more multimedia channels for both the 3DS and Wii-U

EA has specifically said that they are extremely happy with the Wii U's online infrastructure, which is most likely a result of a possible Origin shop on the Wii U.

The only reason that EA keeps praising the Wii-U's online is because they're competing against Valve, who also wants to put Steam on the Wii-U. Basically, if Valve wins, EA would stop talking about the Wii-U that much.

At that Nintendo investor meeting, they mentioned that Swapnote-esque apps will continue to be made. I think Nintendo is really embracing going beyond games this generation, even if it means dragging weird limmitations in with it.

They only mentioned it for the 3DS. They haven't really done or said anything that is going to go against thier bullshit "Well it's a game console, so it should only play games and that's it." arguement.

• 3 weeks later...

http://kotaku.com/5885584/nintendo-flirted-with-3d-hd-displays-for-wii-u-controller

Nintendo Flirted With 3D, HD Displays for Wii U Controller

This holiday, the Wii U, Nintendo's upcoming game console, goes on sale. The Kyoto-based game maker revealed the machine last summer and continues to provide new details about the consoles; however, there is still so much that's unknown.

Nintendo's Wii U patent fillings recently surfaced, providing a look at what the company was planning. The documents are from Sept. 2011, and they do clearly point out "statements herein do not correspond to any particular actual product that may be eventually be made available to consumers." That means what Nintendo filed might not make its way into the final product.

The Wii U features a new controller that sports a built-in touch screen that can run games off the Wii U console. It also features a built-in mic, which was previously announced. According to the patent filling, the Wii U could be outfitted with voice recognition software and players could give voice commands in-game. Nintendo also states that "one or more additional microphones...may be provided on the front and/or back surfaces" of the controller.

The patent filings also mention facial recognition—a feature that Nintendo hinted at last summer. The tech could, according to the documents, enable the Wii U controller, which is outfitted with a camera, to recognize a face—specifically parts of a person's face. This data would then be stored in the Wii U's main memory.

Other details, such as the ability to browse the internet and parental-type controls, are obvious—and already featured on the Nintendo Wii. However, the documents also state that the Wii U cannot only communicate with external devices via network, it could be used as a videophone "exchanging images and sound".

The patent filing does not specifically mention Skype (and this is merely an example), but it sure sounds like Nintendo was thinking of implementing it. Whether or not it makes its way into the final product remains to be seen—or maybe Nintendo's Wii U network will feature a video chat service of its own.

The Wii U is bound to have its fair share of peripherals—just look at how many the Wii has. In the patent filing, Nintendo gives two specific examples of what could be attached to the new controller: "a game-specific controller (gun-shaped controller, etc.) or an input device such as a keyboard".

One of the more interesting nuggets involves 3D and HD. The former might not have caught on like Nintendo, or other electronics companies, had hoped. The 3DS is making innovative use of 3D, but it's still not mainstream. In the patent filing, Nintendo noted that the Wii U "might" feature a 3D display. It also mentions it "might" feature a HD display on the Wii U controller, which so far has sported a sub-HD resolution of around 850x.

Unless Nintendo makes a surprise reveal before the launch, these looks to be features that ended up on the cutting room floor.

The full documents can be viewed in the links below.

Game System, Controller Device, and Game Method [uS Patent & Trademark Office]

SPATIALLY-CORRELATED MULTI-DISPLAY HUMAN-MACHINE INTERFACE [uS Patent & Trademark Office Thanks, Igor!]

Woah, quite the heated debate.

I'm worried that the WiiU will just turn out to be another "shitty gimmick" console with a lackluster library. That's about my only concern as of now.

Then again I've also heard that the WiiU will only support 2 tablet controllers at a time, so I can't imagine it being flooded with party games.

I agree with Gilda that it's stupid not to include alternate media support. It's not like it takes a hell of a lot of effort, time, or money to do so these days.

Then again I've also heard that the WiiU will only support 2 tablet controllers at a time, so I can't imagine it being flooded with party games.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo said at E3 that it supports only one of the tablet controllers at a time and other players have to use Wii Remote Plus controllers.

It's clear Nintendo has never been focused on making their consoles multimedia devices in any sense. They may have added Netflix to the Wii, but really, what doesn't have Netflix nowadays? It's also clear that Nintendo is behind the curb in terms of online functionality among many other things. Does Nintendo have an ego? Yes. Does their arrogance eventually kick their behinds every once in awhile? Yes. Do they still find a way to make each generation of their consoles work? Yes.

Honestly I'm tired of these debates about how easy it was to include 'this' and how they should have included 'that'. I get where both sides are coming from but at this point I don't care anymore. Either the Wii U interests you or it doesn't. Nintendo's way of conducting business may seem horrible to some people, but it results in some great games time and time again.

I don't usually chime in on these sort of topics due to the constant chance of getting into a never-ending debate, but arguments like these really take some of the magic out of a new console. Talking about how a product isn't as good as it could be (to a certain extent) before it even hits store shelves ruins the initial experience.

And before anyone tells me I'm being elitist or whatever, I just want to get back on topic. This thread is more interesting when it involves discussions about recent Wii U updates, not arguments about how simple it is to include DVD functionality (it is kind of lazy though).

Edited by The Kid

I'm pretty sure Nintendo said at E3 that it supports only one of the tablet controllers at a time and other players have to use Wii Remote Plus controllers.

Seriously? wtf?

Seriously? wtf?

It's all down to the expense of producing them, I think; a family-friendly console ought not to have controllers costing in excess of $100. If not that, there may be technical limitations surrounding the transmission of all that data between the console and multiple screen pads. They are including one with the machine, and last I heard (following the reception it got around its unveiling) they were considering perhaps allowing a second unit to be used, but I can't see them permitting more than that.

Maybe, if they can reduce the prices of making them, they'll one day release a Wii U 'Lite' with thinner, lighter, cheaper screen pads and the ability to have four or more in play at any one time... but that seems a long shot.

It's all down to the expense of producing them, I think; a family-friendly console ought not to have controllers costing in excess of $100. If not that, there may be technical limitations surrounding the transmission of all that data between the console and multiple screen pads. They are including one with the machine, and last I heard (following the reception it got around its unveiling) they were considering perhaps allowing a second unit to be used, but I can't see them permitting more than that.

Maybe, if they can reduce the prices of making them, they'll one day release a Wii U 'Lite' with thinner, lighter, cheaper screen pads and the ability to have four or more in play at any one time... but that seems a long shot.

Wonder how much the launch price is... Any word on that?

Wonder how much the launch price is... Any word on that?

I think it's all guesses at this point, we'll probably get the price at E3.

I'm placing my bets on the $400 USD range personally.

I think it's all guesses at this point, we'll probably get the price at E3.

I'm placing my bets on the $400 USD range personally.

Probably.

I believe it was said at or shortly after the last E3 that the issue was in streaming all the info to multiple tablets simultaneously without interference (from WiFi, microwaves, etc. rather than each other) combined with the expense. It has since been reported that they are working on having at least dual-tablet functionality, but I'm not sure how legit that rumor is. (i.e. I don't know if it's a rumor from a legitimate Nintendo source or a rumor from some analyst who knows nothing about what they're doing but thinks it would be good for them to do so.It is legitimately a rumor.)

The first guy was right. The Wii U supports 2 tablet controllers. After E3, ther figured out a way to have more then one to connect to the system.

Around 400-500. They said to get the Wii U, its going to be bought from a higher income family while the Wii will be for the party games -lower budget- kind of people/families.

In other words, they're going Sony's route with PS3/PS2 and keeping the Wii in production for a while, but also releasing the new console and producing that.

• 2 weeks later...

Wii U for 299$/€?

Nintendo will price the Wii U aggressively at $299 when it launches later this year, according to a report WiiUDaily has received (from the same source that brought us theWii U system specs rumor). Nintendo will price the Wii U at $299 in the US, $299 Euro in Europe, and at 20,000 Yen in Japan, which comes in at around $250 USD. No word on Wii U software pricing.

Considering that the Wii U will initially only compete against the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, which can be had for $200 and $250, respectively, it’s not surprising that Nintendo will price the Wii U aggressively. They almost have to. Sony and Microsoft will reportedly release their next-gen consoles in 2013.

Edited by Marcellove

Damn, there must be something a bit off with those prices. $299 translates to £180 and 299 translates to £250. I'd like to hope it's the former here in Engeyland.

Damn, there must be something a bit off with those prices. $299 translates to £180 and 299 translates to £250. I'd like to hope it's the former here in Engeyland.

Things get priced like this so much it's just something you kind of have to expect.

$299 definitely seems fair, yeah. It does raise one question for me, however: If Nintendo has thus far refused to sell their systems at a loss and are going to sell the Wii U for the same price the PS3's going for... exactly how cheap is it to produce?

If it has games I care about in the launch window that's fine. If it's nothing but half hearted 1st party efforts and 3rd party ports then I'll wait for either a price drop or for the good games to hit. I guess this E3 should be really telling for Nintendo. As of right now I just have no excitement for the thing. :/

Screw that. I'm not getting it until next year anyway, if not longer.

However, the article says PS3 and Xbox720 will release in 2013. I... am doubtful about the validity of this.

$299 definitely seems fair, yeah. It does raise one question for me, however: If Nintendo has thus far refused to sell their systems at a loss and are going to sell the Wii U for the same price the PS3's going for... exactly how cheap is it to produce?

If it is the price, be thankful Nintendo doesn't do what Sony does, or otherwise it would be £299

Edited by Scar

If it is the price, be thankful Nintendo doesn't do what Sony does, or otherwise it would be £299

Don't we always pay it like that? 3DS was 250€ as was the Wii.

Edited by Marcellove