Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

I've hit a snag with the Wii U, it was probably one of the worst impulse buy decisions i've ever made in my life, I got it cheap and everything...But there are absolutely no games that honestly cater for me, the only thing that's making me hold onto it is the thought of Nintendo's future IP releases, otherwise I'm strongly considering selling it and picking it up next year again when something worth buying comes along *shrug*

• Thumbs Up 1

You could just box it up and put it in a cupboard if there's nothing out yet that appeals to you.

No sense selling and re-buying.

• Thumbs Up 5

I've hit a snag with the Wii U, it was probably one of the worst impulse buy decisions i've ever made in my life, I got it cheap and everything...But there are absolutely no games that honestly cater for me, the only thing that's making me hold onto it is the thought of Nintendo's future IP releases, otherwise I'm strongly considering selling it and picking it up next year again when something worth buying comes along *shrug*

You should have waited. Why purchase a console if it doesn't have enough launch titles to satisfy you? You may even see a price drop a year later when it's finally the moment to get the Wii U. I didn't buy a Vita until November last year because the Vita launch games did not interest me and I was a bit iffy on that handheld (and I am again, I'm hoping Vita will get good titles announced at E3).

Personally I will not get the Wii U until I get my PS4 first. Or I see Wii U in a dirt cheap price I can't afford to miss. 

Also the Wii U must have a 3D Super Mario title, Smash Bros & Mario Kart out by the time I start to even think of getting it.

Edited by Ming Ming Shana

You should have waited. Why purchase a console if it doesn't have enough launch titles to satisfy you? You may even see a price drop a year later when it's finally the moment to get the Wii U. I didn't buy a Vita until November last year because the Vita launch games did not interest me and I was a bit iffy on that handheld (and I am again, I'm hoping Vita will get good titles announced at E3).

Personally I will not get the Wii U until I get my PS4 first. Or I see Wii U in a dirt cheap price I can't afford to miss. 

Also the Wii U must have a 3D Super Mario title, Smash Bros & Mario Kart out by the time I start to even think of getting it.

Because the game I mainly bought the console for was pushed back from release to Feb, then it was pushed back to September with a multiplatform release that's why, could I have known something like that was going to happen I wouldn't have bothered in the first place.

Selling and rebuying is just dumb. Sorry, but it's true. You'll barely get anything for it and then you'll have to pay more than what you earned from selling to get a new one.

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 1

Why bother...?  Even with online, it's a terrible game.  It's a game where the sole activity is grinding.  What do you people find fun about that?  Every time you buy the WiiU version, you're encouraging these people to be lazy.

You seriously just called Monster Hunter a terrible grind. I honestly don't even know how to reply to you without being awful and mean, but clearly you havne't played much, if any of the game based on those impressions.

Whilst there's some grind involved with gathering and crafting... the lack of any kind of XP system brings it pretty far from a traditional "grind" and successful hunts are far more dependent on player skill then just mad lootz. I consider something like D3 a grind. Where you're just click clicking to get to the next gold drop so you can move on in the game. Monster Hunter is something completely different.

but whatever. It's not for everyone.

Tried to play Monster Hunter 3's Wii U demo and found it difficult to control, so initally I wasn't keen on it. I found out later that the full version gives you a tutorial and everything to properly explain gameplay mechanics and controls. Thanks Capcom, could you have at least put that in the demo version? =I

The tutorial in the main game isn't much better for controls, but the single player stuff does do a fair job of explaining the crazy amount of mechanics.

The unwieldy movement and weapons is something you just have to adjust to, for better or for worse.

On the subject of Monster Hunter, I tried out the Wii U demo and didn't have even the foggiest about idea about what I was supposed to be doing. I played for a good half an hour before deciding that it was a terrible demo (read: I didn't say game) and that I wasn't interested in it at all.  

The unwieldy movement and weapons is something you just have to adjust to, for better or for worse.

This is, what, the third version of Monster Hunter 3?  If the movement and attacking (both of which are painfully slow and unwieldy) are STILL an issue, there's something that this company is doing wrong.  The fact that you have to put your weapons away before picking something up, the fact that there's no camera lock-on (a total mainstay of games of this genre), the fact that there's almost no way to tell if you're doing any good against the bigger monsters, the lack of any sort of explanation in the quests ("Go catch 8 Golden fish!"  Uh, okay, how the fuck do I fish?  "Find a fishing point!"  Um, okay, where the fuck is a fishing point? "Just run around until you happen to stumble into the EXACT clump of weeds to fish!"), the fact that the game has Gamecube-esque graphics...it's just tons of little things that add up to, for me, a nearly unplayable game.  Also, who the fuck decided that it should be impossible to change the position of your HUD after choosing it at the beginning?  I thought it'd be neat to have everything on the pad, but it's annoying as fuck and as far as I can tell there's no way to change it.

I played co-op with a friend for probably five hours.  We were both screaming at the game by the end of it.  But like you said, it's not for everyone.

Oh well.  One of my friends is trading me his Metroid Prime Trilogy (holy fuck yes) for this, so in the end, I'm glad I bought it.

Edited by Thick n' Nasty Wario
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh, right. MH. I played the 3DS demo. I didn't really like it. I kept losing the monster out of my sight and when I hit him, I never felt like I was actually doing damage. If they'd add lock-on and make it easier to see that you're actually doing damage and add a health bar, I'd like it more. Though, I saw someone mention that on Neogaf and he got shit for it saying it would ruin the game. I don't see why, though.

Also, I understand it, but it still bothered me that I can't move and use a potion at the same time.

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 2

This is, what, the third version of Monster Hunter 3?  If the movement and attacking (both of which are painfully slow and unwieldy) are STILL an issue, there's something that this company is doing wrong.  The fact that you have to put your weapons away before picking something up,

Are you honestly suggesting they completely rehaul the game in what is basically a glorified expansion pack? That's not only a.) unnecessary but b.) kind of unreasonable. Hopefully they tighten things up in MH4 but to be quite honest there isn't that much wrong with he damn game to begin with. All the weapons that are super hard to wield  (re: the greatsword) are like that deliberately, the difficulty in hitting targets is the trade off for the high damage. Things like having to put your weapon away to gather aren't really an issue from my perspective, although I could see how it would bother a new player- I almost never have my weapon out when I'm doing anything other than fighting and would certainly never have it out when gathering stuff.

If the movement is so awful I can't imagine so many people would be playing it. The controls are how they are for a reason, it's a deliberately paced thoughtful game when it comes to it's combat. Like God Hand or something

1.) The game has lock-on. Lol. Only for the big monsters though (which, to be quite honest is the only thing you need it for)

2.) You can tell how injured or hurt monsters are by looking at them. If they're on low health they limp, amongst other things or flee to their nest/home area. If they're low on stamina their mouth drools, etc. Although there's no bars as such the game gives you clear tells in the form of monster behavior.

3.) You can change the position of the hud elements at any time, it is, infact in a stupid place though.

4.) Are you honestly suggesting the game spoonfeeding you what a fishing hole looks like would have help? Fishing holes aren't "clumps of weeds" either. They're fish. Look again.

I agree that the game is opaque when it comes to how it works but most of these problems can be rectified with either a.) five minutes of research/asking someone who knows or b.) using basic observation to figure it out. A lot of the weird things about the game are actually explained through character dialogue too, but I can see most people skipping through the bubbles.

Although if you're going into the game with the mindset that it's stupid and confusing I can see how B.) would probably be ignored in favour of finding things to write angry posts about on internet forums.

I played co-op with a friend for probably five hours.  We were both screaming at the game by the end of it.  But like you said, it's not for everyone.

You probably should have played with someone who actually knew how to play the damn game instead of a screaming fool. Then you might have learned something. I played co-op with a friend for half an hour and he has the gist of it.

Oh well.  One of my friends is trading me his Metroid Prime Trilogy (holy fuck yes) for this, so in the end, I'm glad I bought it.

Massive downgrade. Oh well.

• Thumbs Up 1

1.) The game has lock-on. Lol. Only for the big monsters though (which, to be quite honest is the only thing you need it for)

2.) Massive downgrade. Oh well.

1.) No it doesn't.  The camera looks at the monster you're targeting and doesn't hold onto it.  It just points you in the right direction.

2.) lol

EDIT: 3.) ALL weapons are unwieldy, even the fast ones.  Because you keep attacking and the think you're attack fucking moves behind you as you finish your supergenericsameforeveryweaponofthattype combo that takes twenty minutes to do.  The fucking, what, three weapons types that are fast are still nearly impossible to use.

This obviously isn't going anywhere, as we're on two opposite ends of the spectrum.  So I'll concede that it's probably fun to a certain demographic, which I'm not a part of.

Personally I tried the demo for Ultimate on the 3DS and I feel that platform for such a demanding game wasn't right, the camera controls piss me off and it just puts a strain on my fingers when trying to flick through attacking, items and dodging.

I did try Tri on the Wii, and it was enjoyable albeit jarring and clunky, but the series has always been like that, I guess the game is set in a fantasy environment but they've applied realistic traits like, Armour & weapon weight, the amount of things you can carry depending on your load out, dodging and blocking isn't always the best way to go about things as in certain cases, hitting a monster head on with perfect timed block or fully charged swing from a great sword can stagger it or even knock it off it's feet, the only problem i've always had with the series is the terrible camera controls/panning because it's hard to keep the camera on a frenzied beast who is constantly darting around out of your sights, and how long it takes to use items like potions, and that stupid victory pose they do after they used it pretty much adding like 3 seconds onto the delay time of where you can't do anything, leaving you open for attack.

The game isn't a mindless hack n' slash, it's a strategic hunting game, if you go in swinging your sword expecting to win, you'll just get chewed up and spat out, lowering your reward for falling in battle, you have to set up traps in dens, predict a monsters movement and path when it panics and tries to flee, and keep your guard up otherwise it'll be you being chased from area to area.

• Thumbs Up 2

and that stupid victory pose they do after they used it pretty much adding like 3 seconds onto the delay time of where you can't do anything

so much rage

• Thumbs Up 1

I've gotten more hours out of MH3 then I'll ever get out of MP 1, 2 and 3 put together. Take that as you will. your friend ripped you off.

1.) No it doesn't.  The camera looks at the monster you're targeting and doesn't hold onto it.  It just points you in the right direction.

Derp. That's still lock on. Man if you can't handle that I'd hate to see you play something like Ninja Gaiden 1.

I don't see what's so hard about tapping the lock on button when you need to adjust the camera. I certainly like that more than having it constantly locked, which would be a pain in the ass when escaping, etc.

---

If you want a real complaint about MH3 you could talk about how the underwater controls are mostly awful and require a circle pad pro on 3DS to be any kind of playable... but whatevs.

MH is what it is, and in my opinion it's fantastic, it's funny seeing people get this bent out of shape over it though. It's the same kind of mentality that leads to most games feeling so god damned homogenous, no one actually wants to play any challenging or unique games, they'd rather just have the same, easy game of the week trash churned out and feeding .

Yes, monster hunter is awkward and confusing when you first start, but the feeling of getting the hang of the mechanics, setting traps, dodge rolling under that fucking tail sweep that has been ruining you and nailing a monster right in his damn face for a successful kill is something I haven't felt in any other game. It's worth it.

so much rage

Yeah, I agree. Geez, being able to heal and sharpen my weapon whilst a monster beats on my face would make this game so much easier and better. I hate how you actually have to think about what you're doing when you play it. Like why do I even have to run away from these monsters anyway?? Or set traps??

You realise these are deliberate decisions? Actions like this are deliberately unsafe. It's like a fighting game. If stuff like that could be done whenever and quickly it'd be too damn easy

• Thumbs Up 1

I've gotten more hours out of MH3 then I'll ever get out of MP 1, 2 and 3 put together. Take that as you will. your friend ripped you off.

I'd prefer my hours of gameplay to be filled with fun and action rather than navigating unintuitive menus and following a chicken around a giant, sparse map for 50 minutes.

But like I said, to each his or her own.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I agree. Geez, being able to heal and sharpen my weapon whilst a monster beats on my face would make this game so much easier and better. I hate how you actually have to think about what you're doing when you play it. Like why do I even have to run away from these monsters anyway?? Or set traps??

And it's totally appropriate to stand still, raise your arms and flex your muscles after eating a steak or potion, every time right?

• Thumbs Up 3

And it's totally appropriate to stand still, raise your arms and flex your muscles after eating a steak or potion, every time right?

"God this tastes so good I could just kill myself"

• Thumbs Up 4

I'd prefer my hours of gameplay to be filled with fun and action rather than navigating unintuitive menus and following a chicken around a giant, sparse map for 50 minutes.

But like I said, to each his or her own.

ahahahahahahahahah

Visual touch instead of having you drink the potion for that amount of time instead. Alternatively the potion sipping action could take up the same amount of time, and you just drink for like forever instead of doing the cute flex. It doesn't matter. The whole point of the long ass animation is so you go somewhere safe before healing.  This is so shallow I don't even.

EDIT: 3.) ALL weapons are unwieldy, even the fast ones.  Because you keep attacking and the think you're attack fucking moves behind you as you finish your supergenericsameforeveryweaponofthattype combo that takes twenty minutes to do.  The fucking, what, three weapons types that are fast are still nearly impossible to use.

Seriously, I just spat coffee everywhere. a.) Combos don't mean shit in monster hunter. except for maybe the longsword. Individual hits and moves (hammer super pound, great sword unsheath, switch axe uppercut) are far more important then sitting there running through a full combo. A lot of the moves aren't as unwieldly as they look. The hammer slam initially seems to have the worst recovery in the world but you can roll out of it and cancel 90% of the time it takes to recover after the hit.

b.)thinking the combos are all the same is so amazing I don't even understand how you came to that conclusion and c.) if you can't hit shit with a sword and shield you should go back to gamer kindergarten. You make me laugh. This isn't some kind of braindead button masher. Maybe you'd hate it less if you learned how to play it.

Derp. That's still lock on. Man if you can't handle that I'd hate to see you play something like Ninja Gaiden 1.

I don't see what's so hard about tapping the lock on button when you need to adjust the camera. I certainly like that more than having it constantly locked, which would be a pain in the ass when escaping, etc.

Honestly I'd prefer a normal lock-on. As in keeping the camera on the monster the whole until I let go of lock-on.

• Thumbs Up 4

if you can't hit shit with a sword and shield you should go back to gamer kindergarten. You make me laugh.

Yeesh.  I'm trying to be civil here and you're just insulting me as a person. :\  Whatever, like I've said, you have every right to like this game and I'm done arguing about it, because as I said like, three posts ago, it's going nowhere.

• Thumbs Up 4

Visual touch instead of having you drink the potion for that amount of time instead. Alternatively the potion sipping action could take up the same amount of time, and you just drink for like forever instead of doing the cute flex. It doesn't matter. This is so shallow I don't even.

LOL, ok they kind of already do the eat animation, then flex their arms, so it's unnecessary really, I dunno if I had ran to another area to heal from a big fucking dragon and was eating steak after steak or potion after potion and had to do a 3 second flex and seen the monster run into my area straight for me and I couldn't move, yeah that's pretty shitty, considering some of the monsters can sweep pretty much all your health off you in one hit, I get it's meant to be challenging, but if I die due to the game trying to be charming, then I'm just going to rage more because that shit isn't fair =P

(Besides, the Lance is super quick and is still OP in Trultimate considering you can do X-X-X or A-A-A or anything in between, press B to dodge, and then go again. Or X-X-R+A/A-A-R+A)

(( Gigginox still scares the shit out of me tho ;; ))

Edited by PSI Aqua
  • Thumbs Up 1

LOL, ok they kind of already do the eat animation, then flex their arms, so it's unnecessary really, I dunno if I had ran to another area to heal from a big fucking dragon and was eating steak after steak or potion after potion and had to do a 3 second flex and seen the monster run into my area straight for me and I couldn't move, yeah that's pretty shitty, considering some of the monsters can sweep pretty much all your health off you in one hit, I get it's meant to be challenging, but if I die due to the game trying to be charming, then I'm just going to rage more because that shit isn't fair =P

Yah, getting caught out like that is pretty damn frustrating, so I do actually hear where you're coming from. It differs from monster to monster but a lot of the time hitting into a different area leaves you safe. Most of this stuff comes from the game's admittedly brutal learning curve and opaque mechanics. There should really be a guy or something that tells you to bail the fuck out when you need to heal or something. I don't know.

Even worse is getting caught by a stunning attack and then swept to die before you can run. Both are kind of aspects where you die due to not being able to control your guy. Maybe they should make you able to roll out of the potion drink animation. IDK.  All part of the game tho I guess >.>

(Besides, the Lance is super quick and is still OP in Trultimate considering you can do X-X-X or A-A-A or anything in between, press B to dodge, and then go again. Or X-X-R+A/A-A-R+A)

SnS chopchop roll chopchop roll chopchop roll is pretty EZ too. They should really start new players with the Lance. Or do some kind of combat tutorial that explains the various ins and outs of the weapon types so you don't have guys like Wario thinking they're all identical.

(( Gigginox still scares the shit out of me tho ;; ))

Gigginox scares everyone. Built Wroggi armor still hate him >.>

Yah, getting caught out like that is pretty damn frustrating, so I do actually hear where you're coming from. It differs from monster to monster but a lot of the time hitting into a different area leaves you safe.

Even worse is getting caught by a stunning attack and then swept to die before you can run. All part of the game tho I guess >.>

But getting a monster frenzied means they'll chase you all over the map depending on how badly you pissed them off, and with things like Ratholas/Rathians they can do the whole "instantly fly to your location" shit, and when you're badly hurt, a 3 second window between each health item is really pushing it if you got a monster up your ass, I don't know every time I try to give the game a chance, the little things are so off putting that it makes me drop the game like a bad conversation, I really like the game but some of the ways I've been killed due to quirks like the delay in item usage, or being stunned by a monster or hell, even spammed by monsters with OP projectiles like that piece of shit salamander dragon thing from the swamps in Tri.

I'm not denying that the game is fucking brilliant though, because it is, it's so different from everything else out there it stands out, but I still stand by my original statement in saying MH is really not a series for portable gaming consoles imo.

I'm not denying that the game is fucking brilliant though, because it is, it's so different from everything else out there it stands out, but I still stand by my original statement in saying MH is really not a series for portable gaming consoles imo.

Oh yeah. I kinda sorta agree with this. Especially on a vanilla 3DS without CPP. Basically sometimes playing it on a portable feels like my hands are going to fall off. But I kind of like going on quick hunt on the train into uni so I'm conflicted.

Then again, the water hunts are so fucking ass whilst playing on 3DS I don't even feel like trying.