Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

just realized this arguement of mine should go in here
 this was in response to the cancelation of the wii-u version of the aliens game

Ya honestly, this is proably for the best. However, what I dont get is why people are complaining so much about a lack of games. I mean, just because the new system is out doesnt mean that the wii games have disappeared. The advantage that the wiiu currently has is that it can play every last wii game, and that doesnt look like that is going to change, and if what I hear is right it will let you do your old didgital titles too? I mean, come on, that means it already has more than twice the titles the PS4 will be able to play a year after release, and we arent even adding in the 50-100 or so additional main titles are coming, the wii-u is far from doomed

just realized this arguement of mine should go in here

this was in response to the cancelation of the wii-u version of the aliens game

This argument doesn't work and it should be pretty obvious why.

• Thumbs Up 1

This argument doesn't work and it should be pretty obvious why.

I didnt mean this arguement as a point of buying the wii-u while you have a wii, I mean it as an arguement of buying the wii-u versus say the next-box. And people complaining about a lack of games for the wii-u.

I didnt mean this arguement as a point of buying the wii-u while you have a wii, I mean it as an arguement of buying the wii-u versus say the next-box. And people complaining about a lack of games for the wii-u.

Lets leave that argument for when the Next Xbox and PS4 come out and we have a better idea of their 3rd part support. For now, its a vacuous argument.

Colonial Marines wasn't cancelled because it's a Wii U game. It was probably cancelled because it was coming later than the other ones, after the horrendous reception it has gotten.

• Thumbs Up 7

Exactly, the argument only doesn't work because the lack of Aliens on WiiU does not effect the console negatively at all.

No one was excited for that anymore, and it has nothing to do with it being on WiiU.

The Wii U seems to me to be an ideal platform for non-traditional console developers; the gamepad should allow iOS and Android platform mobile games to be played on it with ease, and it'd be a good fit for any RTS' and God Sims that developers would normally not put on a traditional console, which could potentially make it a unique system in terms of genres available beyond shooters and whatnot.

• Thumbs Up 2

Speaking of SEGA on WiiU, it sounds like their support ain't goin anywhere.

Rest assured that we have some fantastic developments for Wii U in the pipeline which we will announce at a later date.

Yippee-kiyay! Definitely sounds like this particular cancellation was an act of mercy more than an act of "screw WiiU support". I like the sound of the word "fantastic", thanks SEGA.

Edited by SuperLink

Considering the last Sonic game to came out sold best on Wii U, I think the Wii U is in for some good stuff when it comes to the blue dude.

I foresee Sonic. A shit-ton of Sonic, and no strategy games, because fuck common sense.

Lots of Sonic may not be bad, depending on his future.

On your other point tho, even if strategy games make the most sense on WiiU gameplay-wise, that doesn't mean they have a demographic there (yet). If something's gonna sell inherently better on PC, maybe SEGA just won't bother testing WiiU waters. I hope I'm wrong though, if the WiiU gets a big strategy game then it could be a great demographic opportunity.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 1

In fairness, SEGA aren't exactly going to say "We have some Wii U developments to announce in the future, but there's no need for you to get hyped cause they're pretty shit really".

• Thumbs Up 1

The only way a demographic receptive to strategy games will buy a Wii U is if said games are actually being made for it. I don't see why they couldn't make a couple of downloadable games with a decent amount of content, and use them as testbeds for future game releases. Or they could take a PC game that's been out a while, spend some time adapting it to the Wii U interface and maybe doing one or two other nice things, demo it at E3 and gauge the reaction.

In fairness, SEGA aren't exactly going to say "We have some Wii U developments to announce in the future, but there's no need for you to get hyped cause they're pretty shit really".

In also fairness, SEGA could just as easily have said "we're discussing plans" and left it at that, because that can mean anything from "we might do something eventually" to "we probably won't do anything". I can't help but feel optimistic from the way they worded it, especially after the only company to have said similar things about WiiU recently is Ubisoft and they're actually showing it.

The only way a demographic receptive to strategy games will buy a Wii U is if said games are actually being made for it. I don't see why they couldn't make a couple of downloadable games with a decent amount of content, and use them as testbeds for future game releases.

This is totally true, but part of me worries SEGA don't feel like they're in a financial position to make those kinds of testbeds, or do anything smart because they have a habit of not always doing smart things like you said before. Either way, the Wii was toted to be perfect for FPS controls but didn't get em, it could be the same case with Strategy unfortunately.

Edited by SuperLink

WEll hey, injustice will be coming in a week or two for this, it ought to bring a small sales boost with it

Injustice won't be a system seller. It simply isn't a big enough game, and plus, its multiplatform, so if you don't have a Wii U, you'll just buy it on PS3 or 360.

Fighting games just aren't the system sellers they once were. The Wii U needs something like a blockbuster shooter or Wii Fit U to really shift units.

Here's what I don't get. People complain about no 3rd party support, saying Nintendo is doomed. Then, some 3rd party games come, they say they won't help anyway because, they're on PS3 and 360. Uhhh...that's pretty much how 3rd party support works now. They're too scared to do exclusives except every once in a blue moon. Anyone who expects 3rd party exclusives on anything, these days, is kind of doin' it wrong. Handhelds still got them, though.

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'm glad that it's coming, don't get me wrong, but fighting games just aren't system sellers.

I'm not saying it won't help, its just that a game like Injustice won't have systems flying off the shelves. Its great that there's some more 3rd party support, but Nintendo needs something like Wii Fit U as Patticus said or Smash Bros to really sell the system.

What I'm getting at is that what will sell the Wii U is its first party stable. Which you're implying anyway. There are plenty who say they're screwed not getting certain 3rd party games, though. These same people then say it's pointless when they do get 3rd party games.

"What's the point in developing these blockbuster games when Nintendo's own games will always out-sell them?"

That has been the attitude of gamers, developers and publishers alike for over a decade now, and it still seems to hold sway. As long as the attitude persists, we're just not going to see third parties commit in the same way they do the other big systems.

Microsoft shooting itself in the foot with an always online system, if it does, might actually benefit Nintendo.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well, the way I see it, third party multi-platform releases are important because NOT getting them is undeniably bad.  Nobody wants to buy a console just to watch a bunch of games they're interested in pass them by.  The thing is, exclusives are what sells consoles, so they're even more important.

Right now, the Wii U needs both, but it needs big exclusives more.  Some people are just aware of that fact.

"What's the point in developing these blockbuster games when Nintendo's own games will always out-sell them?"

Oh not this again!

I'm pretty sure this is the excuse devs gave to Nintendo before the 3DS came out. Nintendo left the entire launch window empty so 3rd party games could sell. Guess what happened? SHITTY GAMES AND SHITTY PORTS. 3rd party line up was so disappointing...

Make a good game and then people will buy them? I really hate it when a dev makes a crappy game, doesn't market it, and then blames it on Nintendo fans. Your 'test' games should not be full priced shovelware.