Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

What was so great about Eternal Darkness anyway? Looked pretty janky to me.

It had a unique gameplay mechanic where if your character went crazy the game reflected that. The volume on your tv would be messed with, blue screen of death, game letting you know it's going to delete your save file, character laughs like a maniac, his/her head randomly explodes...it was so clever and I wish it was used in more horror games nowadays.

Nintendo shutting down Wii channels and online services
RIP Friend messaging, Forecast Channel, Everybody Votes Channel.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-12-nintendo-shutting-down-wii-channels-and-online-services

Was expecting this eventually, but I wasn't expecting it so soon. 

Barely has been six months so far after the Wii U is released and yet it seems that Nintendo's trying to get everybody to hop onto that Wii U bandwagon rather quickly.

Also somewhat unrelated, but this is happening around the same time the DSi's Flipnote Hatena service is being switched off.

It's the Weather Channel, Nintendo Channel, and news Channel. Who honestly gives a rat's ass? Just saying.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's the Weather Channel, Nintendo Channel, and news Channel. Who honestly gives a rat's ass? Just saying.

I used to be a regular user of those and the Everybody Votes Channel sad.png Can't say I've used them much in recent months, but still. 

They're also shutting off messaging, though I think the only time I messaged someone on the Wii was one of my younger brothers just to try it out in like the Wii's first year. 

I honestly never understood what the Everybody Votes channel did in the first place.

For me, it was just an amusing little time waster to vote in and check back later to see which option got the most votes. Sometimes you would get some interesting topics pop up. 

I'm surprised people actually used those services in the first place ( maybe it was more popular in Japan?). The eshop is still there, so no harm is done.

I always wanted the Weather Channel to be used in AC. Like it could check the weather were you live in real life and copy it in your AC village.

• Thumbs Up 4

I always wanted the Weather Channel to be used in AC. Like it could check the weather were you live in real life and copy it in your AC village.

Me too, this was one of the biggest missed opportunities imo.

But, then again if you lived in UK it'd never ever stop raining.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 4

Nintendo Wii U's spring update, Panorama View arrive next week

iwataluigiwheresiwata619pxhedimg.jpg

Nintendo's Wii U game console is getting its promised spring update next week, said company president Satoru Iwata in a Luigi-filled video presentation this morning. The update is said to launch software dramatically faster than before, as Nintendo demonstrated in a video last month. Iwata also said the update adds continuable downloads while the console is off, and that Virtual Console won't arrive until the following week -- should you wish to directly launch into the Wii menu, you'll be able to hold down the B button as the console is starting up.

That said, if you wanna play those VC games directly from the Wii U menu, you'll need to re-buy them for $1 apiece for NES games and $1.50 for SNES games. A variety of games were shown off as available at the Virtual Console's launch, including classics like Super Mario World and Punch-Out! Apparently GameBoy Advance and Nintendo 64 games are planned for inclusion on the VC in the coming months, but no definitive date was given. He also said Panorama View will arrive next week for free, and it sounds like it'll be a separate download from the software update.

Starting to think Wonderful 101 will have the same late sumer/fall release.

Man.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just want them to give us the goddamn Earthbound rerelease for Wii U that Japan got. It doesn't need to be HD or anything.

Your wish is granted. 

Earthbound coming to Wii U Virtual Console Re-release of cult SNES game coming to North America and Europe

Nintendo is bringing cult SNES RPG Earthbound to the Wii U Virtual Console in both North America and Europe by the end of the year, the company has announced.

image_300339_thumb_wide300.jpg

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata, who worked on Earthbound when he was a developer for HAL Laboratory, explained that the decision to release the game in the west was partly due to the Virtual Console release of the game in Japan, which led to a number of US and European gamers hijacking its Miiverse forum to ask for a release in their country too.

Earthbound tells the story of a young boy called Ness, who has psychic powers. After a meteorite lands near his home, Ness encounters an alien called Buzz Buzz who asks him to use his powers to defeat Giygas, an alien from a distant galaxy who has the power to influence people using their own evil nature.

The news of a Wii U Virtual Console re-release will be particularly exciting for European gamers, because although Earthbound was originally released on the SNES in Japan and North America, it never arrived in Europe. Despite some requesting a European release, it also never arrived on the Wii Virtual Console service.

• Thumbs Up 1

Didn't everyone want Mother 3 and not Earthbound?

Edited by Soniman

Everyone wants Mother 3 and Mother 1 aswell, but Earthbound is a start. Better than nothing! Much much better, considering amazing support of the game could genuinely lead to us getting the other instalments somewhere down the line.

It's nice to see Nintendo actually listening to people on Miiverse. They did the same with the PAL F-Zero.

• Thumbs Up 3

What, no purple and white Pikmin? D:

Lovely boxart though. It really stands out. 

EDIT: Ahaha! SuperLink stole what I was going to say

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wow, that boxart looks lovely. It's a shame that I have to wait until August to play the game, though. What are the chances of them releasing a demo for it?