Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Of course not, but that wasn't the point.

"Deus Ex: Human Defiance" wasn't just an April Fools joke, it got many trademarks made over the last few months and was widely expected to be a new game in the series for some time already. You don't need trademarks for an April Fools joke, so despite the joke, people thought the actual game may end up being revealed at a later date.

So the clarification of not needing the trademark was necessary, otherwise people probably would continue to expect Human Defiance.

Yeah but that's the whole point. Trademarking the game before April 1st, and when they announce it, most people will think it's true! A world class April Fools joke if you ask me.

Yeah but that's the whole point. Trademarking the game before April 1st, and when they announce it, most people will think it's true! A world class April Fools joke if you ask me.

But they didn't just trademark it around like March, it's been popping up for months already. How can you blame people for thinking it may have been a real game in the end? It's not ridiculous to think they may have announced a joke game followed by a real game announcement shortly after, because again, trademarks are not needed for April Fools jokes, and they are not exactly "free" either.

This was a real investment the company made but decided against. Like it said in the article I linked, they originally planned to use the trademark but used it as an April Fools after they decided not to. It wasn't an April Fool from the beginning.

So basically.. yeah, people aren't idiots for thinking it could have been a real game, because it could have been.

Edited by SuperLink

But they didn't just trademark it around like March, it's been popping up for months already. How can you blame people for thinking it may have been a real game in the end? It's not ridiculous to think they may have announced a joke game followed by a real game announcement shortly after, because again, trademarks are not needed for April Fools jokes, and they are not exactly "free" either.

This was a real investment the company made but decided against. Like it said in the article I linked, they originally planned to use the trademark but used it as an April Fools after they decided not to. It wasn't an April Fool from the beginning.

So basically.. yeah, people aren't idiots for thinking it could have been a real game, because it could have been.

Where did I say they were idiots? They have just been April Fooled. 

January, February or even last year, they can plan their April Fools any time, any day. If you want to really fool people, you may need to spend money. Google/YouTube certainly did with their opening ceremony thing.

But think about it. Why on the last few hours of March 31st? Why can't they announce this game on March 28th, or today even? Surely they can announce this game on these days to make us all believe that the game is truly coming.

Edited by Ming Ming Shana

Where did I say they were idiots? They have just been April Fooled. 

January, February or even last year, they can plan their April Fools any time, any day. If you want to really fool people, you may need to spend money. Google/YouTube certainly did with their opening ceremony thing.

But think about it. Why on the last few hours of March 31st? Why can't they announce this game on March 28th, or today even? Surely they can announce this game on these days to make us all believe that the game is truly coming.

But like I keep saying, this wasn't originally intended to be an April Fool:

“The Human Defiance name was registered on the off-chance it we might need it, but it was decided later that it wouldn’t be used,”

I'm not saying the announcement of the 8-bit game wasn't an April Fools, that was obviously an April Fool.

I'm saying people believed it was coming despite this joke due to the Trademark. Yes, it wouldn't be this game obviously, but that this game was possibly just a ruse for the real thing.

I don't blame people for thinking Human Defiance could have eventually been a real game, not an 8-bit game but a genuine unironic entry.

However my guess is Human Defiance was originally considered for the title of the WiiU version, but they reckoned it advertised it too much as a separate game.

• Thumbs Up 1

*facepalms herself* Oh okay I get it now. Sorry for the misunderstanding. DX

• Thumbs Up 1

It's ok I figured there was some level of misunderstanding x(

Also since I was talkin about this earlier, I've been wondering what exactly is up with the WiiU's eShop? It's obvious that they've got no shortage of indie support and it's only gonna get better, but what about other developers? It's still weird to me that no Sonic digital releases have turned up on it, pretty much the only one to relieve my worries on that has been Capcom with their two recent digital game announcements.

Also Virtual Console. Why are they ~advertising~ NES, SNES and GBA when the original VC was advertised with N64 since point one? I'm a little concerned that support will be worse than last gen. :c

All-Stars Racing Transformed is on eShop.

Virtual Console, probably because NES, SNES and GBA games are the easiest to get running under the Wii U emulator. The 3DS already has the emulator tech for those systems with the only exception being off-TV play. Wii U just has to add on to that.

The library will undoubtedly not be as big as the Wii was because that took years worth of licensing, and all of that has to be re-licensed but also built into the Wii U emulator.

All-Stars Racing Transformed is on eShop.

I mostly meant games like Sonic CD, Sonic 4, heck even SA2, Sonic Fighters, both very recent.

Virtual Console, probably because NES, SNES and GBA games are the easiest to get running under the Wii U emulator. The 3DS already has the emulator tech for those systems with the only exception being off-TV play. Wii U just has to add on to that.

The library will undoubtedly not be as big as the Wii was because that took years worth of licensing, and all of that has to be re-licensed but also built into the Wii U emulator.

Even if that's true, the Wii launched with NES, SNES and N64 games. The WiiU has been out for like 5 months already and it has even less platforms supported than the 3DS did soon after launch.

If N64 and more aren't supported by the WiiU VC and its library doesn't grow quickly, I'll probably get a bit tired of the whole VC system. It was wasted potential on the Wii and it's looking to be even bigger wasted potential now, what with the 8 VC games per year rate the 3DS is currently on.

Edited by SuperLink

VC isn't -officially- implemented into the system until the Spring Update. Most likely it's been held off for the sake of building a bigger library while the Famicom 30th Anniversary campaign is the lead-up to it.

It was easier to get these things done with Wii since that was basically just ROMs while this is a little more than just that. That said they're all still available on the Wii Shop Channel which you can still access on the Wii U. There's no point in plugging that if they've got bigger fish to fry at the moment.

That's true, but I'm sure if they're plugging how easy it is for indies to get their games running on the Gamepad, it can't be that hard for Nintendo to emulate and pump out VC games en masse.

I just feel like Nintendo just aren't trying when it comes to making the VC the most extensive and amazing gaming library there is, when it could so easily be just that. I realise they have bigger fish to fry, but this could really tide over their userbase if it was given the efforts it deserved :/

Don't know if this has been posted yet but...

HMV are now selling the basic Wii-U for £175. Saw this one myself when shopping today.

Don't know if this has been posted yet but...

HMV are now selling the basic Wii-U for £175. Saw this one myself when shopping today.

Wow...that's cheaper than the 3DS XL I bought yesterday from GAME. Damn...still not buying one just yet though.

Edited by KrazyBean

I'm worried about possible GBA support. The 3DS was supposedly going to get some of those titles, yet all we've gotten so far is the 10 ambassador games. When are more going to come out? The VC releases have been super slow... But maybe that is to be expected. It isnt like any of the other online services are quick with their Classic games, or have a high number available (compared to the Wii).

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm worried about possible GBA support. The 3DS was supposedly going to get some of those titles, yet all we've gotten so far is the 10 ambassador games. When are more going to come out? The VC releases have been super slow... But maybe that is to be expected. It isnt like any of the other online services are quick with their Classic games, or have a high number available (compared to the Wii).

The GBA titles were always touted as Ambassador exclusives. It was never said that they'd be released publicly, only the NES games.

^ So they can if they want to, and they emulated 10 high quality GBA games on 3DS on extremely short notice, but they won't?

Same as before I think they're just needlessly stalling. I think the 3DS will get GBA games eventually, but it's bizarre that they don't realise how much potential the service has.

I mean in general, weren't GBA games touted as VC releases on 3DS and Wii U? I know the ambassador games are exclusive (love my Yoshi's Island), but I'm pretty sure Nintendo said more GBA games would eventually come to 3DS.

I think "officially" it was never confirmed that GBA games would be released on 3DS VC, only strongly hinted at.

Which is why the announcement of them coming to WiiU VC was so bizarre. I hope they're cross-compatible but who am I kidding.

Yeah I wish they'd sort the VC service out. Ideally they could even go so far as to include N64 games on the 3DS VC, it could be an absolute goldmine for them and I wouldn't even mind rebuying the ones I already owned on my Wii for the sake of having them portable (was about to make a comment on how awesome portable Mario 64 would be before realising its already portable... fail).

• Thumbs Up 4

Keep in mind, to get N64 games running well on the VC requires a bit more work than other games on there. But they've already got a lot of quality titles ported to the Wii, I wonder if it's easy to port them to the 3DS from there.

I wouldn't mind getting some Yoshi's Story or Wave Race on my 3DS.

I like that GBA titles are coming to the Wii U because Game Boy Players are hard to come by, but it's a shame they're not being put on the 3DS either. At the very least I hope that means they'll put the ambassador titles like Wario Land 4 and Metroid Fusion on sale, because some of those games are essential playing for anyone who's a Nintendo fan.

• Thumbs Up 3

Hell, if you're going to try and make your stalling console appealing to gamers, announce and show all the good stuff at once since there's a lull anyways. Get gamers profusely drooling and sweating and needing that Wii U console thingamajig and let the good times roll this Holiday Season 2013.

It's just for U

• Thumbs Up 1

I can't understand why the Wii U VC's selection is so limited, when the Wii's is positively overflowing with the good stuff. What's stopping Nintendo from renewing the old VC deals for the U?

• Thumbs Up 1

The positively adorable looking Toki Tori 2 is out on the eShop tomorrow, here's a couple of reviews:

Aussie Gamer - 5/5

Nintendo Life - 7/10

Niggles aside, it sounds like a pretty quirky and unique little game. Heaven knows the Wii U needs some sort of killer app at the moment, and stuff like this might just about be enough to tide us over until the next "big" release, with any luck.

I'm not sure what the fuss over the game is about, I wish there was a demo.

To me it kinda just looks like a very slow-paced platformer.

I'm not sure what the fuss over the game is about, I wish there was a demo.

To me it kinda just looks like a very slow-paced platformer.

I think it's meant to be more about puzzle solving than platforming - I know for a fact that you can't jump, so you have to use your environment and limited moveset to get around.

What's probably brought Toki Tori 2 a lot of attention is just how different it is to the first one, actually. That was a straight-up puzzle game where you had to navigate a set map and collect eggs. This is a big, sprawling adventure which the developers themselves have deemed to be a Metroidvania-style game.