Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

I just want them to give us the goddamn Earthbound rerelease for Wii U that Japan got. It doesn't need to be HD or anything.

I just want them to give us the goddamn Earthbound rerelease for Wii U that Japan got. It doesn't need to be HD or anything.

Not enjoying Punch Out? :P

• Thumbs Up 3

Wait I am confused. Is it going to be released this August or this fall?

Fall is the tentative release.

There is no solid date.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey guys.

Don't get Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.

If you HAVE to get it, buy it for the 3DS and save twenty bucks, because it is LITERALLY the exact same game, right down to the graphics.

Wii U version has online play, which 3DS apparently does not, also two analog sticks so yeah.

Soniman, on 07 Apr 2013 - 18:10, said:Not enjoying Punch Out?

I wouldn't have gotten Punch Out for free.

Why does Japan get all the good stuff?

Monster 3 Ultimate (3DS) doesn't have online; and you need the Wii U version to go online with it.

Why bother...?  Even with online, it's a terrible game.  It's a game where the sole activity is grinding.  What do you people find fun about that?  Every time you buy the WiiU version, you're encouraging these people to be lazy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey guys.

Don't get Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.

If you HAVE to get it, buy it for the 3DS and save twenty bucks, because it is LITERALLY the exact same game, right down to the graphics.

No it's not. The Monsters have a MUCH higher resolution on them and really, while the graphics aren't SUPER MEGA HD, it's still HD compared to the 3DS version. Besides, to play Monster Hunter the best, you need two analog sticks, so you need to buy a CCP for the 3DS, which is $20.

Why bother...?  Even with online, it's a terrible game.  It's a game where the sole activity is grinding.  What do you people find fun about that?  Every time you buy the WiiU version, you're encouraging these people to be lazy.

Maybe we like it when a monster is kicking our ass and we fail multiple times but keep trying anyways to finally bring it down. Maybe we like the fact the game gives us a sense of accomplishment and achievement like the days of old. Maybe we enjoy a challenge. Maybe we enjoy the communities. Maybe we love the world that we're put in and the wonderful designs of each monster. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Monster Hunter is an acquired taste. How far are you into the game anyways?

Half the appeal is playing online with friends.

I'm totally with you on that, but it's not going to happen. Why not you may ask? Copyright breaches and some of the music sounding too similar to real licensed songs. And since Nintendo of Japan doesn't want to make these changes to a Western release it's very difficult for Nintendo of America to release it here. It's stupid and annoying, but there you go.

I don't understand why they can't release Mother 3 overseas though.

The same reason. Some of the music in MOTHER 3 uses samples from copyrighted songs, such as the old Batman show's theme in the Mr. Batty Twist battle theme.

And, I can't quite put my finger on it, but the musical instrument battle music bears resemblance to an old rock n' roll song.

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph
  • Thumbs Up 1

Isn't it just Parody though? I'm pretty sure they could release it if they called it that.

Oh come on, it's much more than that. It's about studying the monsters and their behaviors as well as mastering the weapons. I've played the game for 200 hours with the Great Sword and I have still lots to improve on. Timing your attacks so that you will strike just as the monster swings it's head towards so you can deal massive damage or buying yourself some time to use the items without getting your ass handed to you is pretty much the core of the game.

Grinding isn't really much of a problem. I cleared all of the low rank quests without making any armor at all and the weapons didn't require too much materials either. Never did I fail a quest because I died too many times. Grinding may help in the beginning, but eventually you'll have to start paying more attention to the monster's behavior and that is when things really get interesting. 

To say that the game is all about grinding is about as accurate as saying that Sonic is all about holding right to win. 

Monster Hunter ain't terrible. It's not my kind of game.. at all, but it sure as hell ain't terrible.

I say this because my brother bought both versions of the game and has played them nonstop, two of his friends bought 3DS' just to get the game and have been playing it non stop since then, and another of my friends played it with them for just one evening and is now sold on getting it himself.

So yeah, it's got its audience, that's for sure.

PS. The WiiU version was never advertised as not being exactly the same as the 3DS version but in HD + with online. The games are fully compatible in multiplayer together too.

PPS. Both versions of Monster Hunter are actually totally sold out everywhere in UK, it's insane. I never expected that to happen with MH of all franchises.

Edited by SuperLink

Tried to play Monster Hunter 3's Wii U demo and found it difficult to control, so initally I wasn't keen on it. I found out later that the full version gives you a tutorial and everything to properly explain gameplay mechanics and controls. Thanks Capcom, could you have at least put that in the demo version? =I

• Thumbs Up 1

Wii U sales have actually gone up 125% in the UK if I recall, all thanks to Monster Hunter Ultimate.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wii U sales have actually gone up 125% in the UK if I recall, all thanks to Monster Hunter Ultimate.

I'm sure those big price cuts didn't have anything to do with that... :P

I don't think grinding is a problem when it's fun.  Monster Hunter 3 is about grinding on monsters until you can't grind no more, but the thrill of the hunt is more than enough to keep me coming back.  Preping up items for the monsters you're specifically out to hunt, watching their every movement and knowing when and how to strike, knowing that one minor slip-up can be deadly if you haven't appropriately equipped yourself, chasing them down when monsters become desperate, and when you finally take the beast down you reap the spoils and wear its carcass around like a trophy.

And then the process repeats itself, with bigger, more powerful, and new unique monsters with bigger and better spoils.  It's a simple process, but I find it incredibly thrilling and engaging and gives off a true sense of accomplishment when you do land the kill.

Not to mention that finding their den, and placing a trap in it before they retreat back to it, is freakin' amazing. That never gets old for me, I just love watching the bastards think they're going to rest off all the damage I did to them, but then they get caught in a shock trap.

I'm sure those big price cuts didn't have anything to do with that... tongue.png

When people reported the news, they said it was more of a game factor and less of a price factor.

IIRC, they've cut the price before and it hasn't made a big jump. The price cuts are only as good as the games available on the system.

Uhhh.. question: Have you even played the game, or are you just posting for shock value? The game is very enjoyable and has lots of depth.

It's certainly not for everyone, and saying such a hyperbole like that is frankly immature and makes you come up as a attention whore.

That and the massive HMV clearance price cut, which is depressingly low considering UK sales are still rock bottom.

I'm not entirely surprised about UK numbers being depressingly low, though. Nintendo numbers are never good in the UK, as far as I know.