Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

I'm with Scar on this one. The only times I really enjoyed NSMB Wii were when I played the game in 4-player co-op as it was just hilarious seeing everyone get knocked off the stage by each other. I want to enjoy the series, I really do, but it just feels so...unexciting.

• Thumbs Up 1

*runs into SSMB like Ripley in Alien 3's canteen scene.

Its real..! It's real..!

Carbo: Be silent boy ye not talking sense!

I'm telling you! It's real! The Wii-U premium is only £200 in HMV! It's a flat rate on premium models. All £200. Basic model is normal price. Their sale has started early.

However unless you want a new portable hifi or some iPod accessories. Nothing else is a good deal.

image(1).jpeg

So GAMES TM just bashed the Wii U.

...Android Consoles

You see this my problem with some Gaming Journalists at them moment everything is full of all negativity or rumour mill bullshit "This will be the last console for X", "Our Insider told us this console will have this negative feature" and "The Console market is dying" etc.

Frankly I am quite tired of it of all.sleep.png

• Thumbs Up 2

Reminds me of the 3DS actually. Turned around a year after. Which is what I predict what the Wii U will do.

The 3DS isn't competing with two powerful competitors with strong userbases, nor is it at risk of losing its hard won Wii base to its competitors.

Actualy, the WiiU has an advantadge, it has an extra year to get out of first year game recession, and the development curve. When the next Sony and microsoft systems come out, they will have a large numbers of bugs, and they will have the quiet period of games(and even have the last of the games for their last generation) stealing buys and customers, giving the WiiU another 6-12 months to build up a strong game catalog and get loyal players, while the other systems are still ironing out the bugs(and possibly driving some buyers away with their new restrictions).

So the Wii-U will begin a comeback very soon, we just have to wait, and we will proably get plenty of new games with solid old IPs in the next 6 months, and sales Will go up!

Getting the console out early doesn't always work as shown in the last two generations. Dreamcast got beaten by PS2 and Xbox 360 got beaten by Wii.

NSMB isn't known for mediocrity, it is known for using the same background and foreground graphics. They're all fantastic games with really good level design and you can do crazy stuff like that in literally all of them. Just look at the NSMBWii Super Play videos.

They are known for being technically proficient but creatively bankrupt (to the extent that Miyamoto himself basically laughed off questions about why Nintendo didn't put any real effort into making the Wii one stand out). If you don't want to say that is mediocrity, then fair enough, but that is why people dismiss them out of hand and why NSMB U has a bad reputation despite not being as lazy as the first 3.

Reminds me of the 3DS actually. Turned around a year after. Which is what I predict what the Wii U will do.

Nintendo forced its turnaround.

• Thumbs Up 2

Nintendo need to get forcing with the WiiU asap tbh.

Release 500 Star Wars games on it

Nintendo forced its turnaround.

BUY A 3DS OR WE'LL HUNT YOU AND YOUR FAMILY DOWN!

:(

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=51052074&postcount=872

The Wii U was revealed in spring/summer of 2011, which means that Nintendo's first party developers had dev kits since about 2010...
They had time since then to actually make some games for the Hardware, that are actually HD and current-gen looking games. Nintendoland NSMBU sure as hell don't count for that.

They have been delaying Pikmin 3, that was actually a Wii game...

What the hell is happening at Nintendo? If there are truly not able to adapt to HD development, and they are in internal development hell...

Then Nintendo is far less incompetent than I thought. This is becoming the same as Square Enix in entering the HD Era. Long development cycles, vaporware.

I'm worried that the results are not worth the 3 year worth wait, which they might won't be since I thought Skyward Sword wasn't worth the 5 years wait.

Eh, I don't know. Going off from their trailers it seems like developing HD games shouldn't be that big of a deal. Wait until holiday season if you're worried since I'm sure more games/price cuts will take effect.

To counter the doom gloom a bit, I think it's worth mentioning that Nintendo usually shoulders entire systems on their games alone. They make far more games than your average publisher does with sometimes dozens of large dedicated releases across multiple platforms per year, that's an insane amount of manpower.

Pikmin 3 has made huge improvements, visually, in under a year. Nintendo are actively learning about how to adapt to the HD environment, they're late, but I think they're capable.

Even if Nintendo didn't adapt as quickly as maybe Ubisoft, I think it's a bit premature to assume they'll wind up as badly as Square has. They've already promised many games and will probably reveal more. Even if they're late, they're working on a lot.

• Thumbs Up 3

Keep in mind too that Nintendo is ALWAYS secret about their games. People whine about where are they but they're almost never shown until the final stages. This can be seen as a negative though because Nintendo showing trailers of all their games may help pull support.

So you're saying when they announced Pikmin 3, it was at its final stage?

Pikmin 3 was originally going to be released much earlier, remember?

Keep in mind too that Nintendo is ALWAYS secret about their games. People whine about where are they but they're almost never shown until the final stages. This can be seen as a negative though because Nintendo showing trailers of all their games may help pull support.

Ever since the great internet rage caused by the delays of Twilight Princess and SSBB, Nintendo shows games off as soon as they're sure they can get them done on time. I remeber them saying that but I can't find the quote.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nintendo has roughly what, 12 or so first party studios dedicated to home console development? More so than any other developer has at least, and they're merging up the handheld department in a slow burn.

It's pretty safe to say that a majority of them has been working on some games for the Wii U ever since the Wii software drought. I'm not worried about it. The more time they get the bigger the games are.

Pikmin 3 was a launch window game.

When it was first shown, it should have been.

• Thumbs Up 4

Smash Brothers Wii U. Announced and implied to be on the way a year before they actually started working on it. There is a middle ground between the two.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=51052074&postcount=872

The Wii U was revealed in spring/summer of 2011, which means that Nintendo's first party developers had dev kits since about 2010...

They had time since then to actually make some games for the Hardware, that are actually HD and current-gen looking games. Nintendoland NSMBU sure as hell don't count for that.

They have been delaying Pikmin 3, that was actually a Wii game...

What the hell is happening at Nintendo? If there are truly not able to adapt to HD development, and they are in internal development hell...

Then Nintendo is far less incompetent than I thought. This is becoming the same as Square Enix in entering the HD Era. Long development cycles, vaporware.

I'm worried that the results are not worth the 3 year worth wait, which they might won't be since I thought Skyward Sword wasn't worth the 5 years wait.

There's two minds to this. On the one hand, the reason the Gamecube and Wii were so flooded with Nintendo titles is because many of them had very low production values (that doesn't make them less enjoyable, but it is what it is). Mario Party games and Mario sports games and etc. could (and did) just reuse assets and shit from game to game and across generations (in a couple cases, with stuff dating all the way back to the N64). That allowed crazy turnaround and is why Nintendo was able to bury the system with games. And you can't do that on HD systems without it being very obvious where the corners were cut; so Nintendo's output is going to be a hell of a lot lower than it was the past two go arounds (which is a problem if 3rd parties don't pick up the slack).

On the other hand, the big name games; your Super Mario Sunshines and Metroid Primes and Wind Wakers, already had huge lead times for development and tons of manpower put into them; and that carried over into the Wii sequels, so it isn't as if Nintendo's top tier development teams are going to be caught completely off guard with how much work it takes to make a new game for an HD system.

Smash Bros has had that problem since Brawl iirc. Nintendo announce it before Sakurai even knows he's being contracted to direct it. There's so much demand for it that Nintendo feel like they can't not at least make people expect it.

Unfortunately it makes it feel like it takes forever.

Also having a long development period isn't always due to having heavy tech. Pikmin 3 I would assume was more to do with finding the right gameplay angle or not having the manpower to finish the project on other systems. Maybe similarly to Kirby's Adventure Wii? It was announced for the GC originally and went through many transitions, even splitting off some ideas into Epic Yarn before finally coming out in the simple form we see it today.

Smash Brothers Wii U. Announced and implied to be on the way a year before they actually started working on it. There is a middle ground between the two.

Exactly. Then again, some of these games like Smash Brothers are pretty obvious. They didn't even show off any trailers or footage. They just went "well.. smash bros for wii u and 3ds so yeah.. buy us... now"

Exactly. Then again, some of these games like Smash Brothers are pretty obvious. They didn't even show off any trailers or footage. They just went "well.. smash bros for wii u and 3ds so yeah.. buy us... now"

Didn't they do the same for Mariokart U?

When it comes to Smash Bros, it's worth keeping in mind that Melee's development was incredibly destructive for Sakurai and HAL Laboratories. The game was arguably rushed and developed within a timespan of 13 months with Sakurai having to change his lifestyle, work under the clock and skip holidays in order to meet the Gamecube launch window.

He was given more leeway with Brawl thanks to Iwata and was eased into the development cycle so he could get total freedom of the project. It was kind of a necessity for Nintendo to establish that goodwill because he left the company after his disappointment with Kirby Air Ride's development circumstances. Smash 4 was already in pre-planning stages when it was announced with Sakurai being aware of it's planned development, and it ought to come out sooner than Brawl did because Sora Ltd. and Namco are sharing development duties.

Unfortunately there's some more issues with that since Sakurai has developed muscle ruptures that's making his working conditions incredibly difficult to the point that he can only use one hand for most things, can barely use a keyboard and can't really playtest. He's had these problems for quite some time and they might end up really impacting the development.

• Thumbs Up 7

Here is a new flyer from Nintendo.

iO9uyKK0sQIzo.jpg

There we go. Now people will stop being confused... The Wii does not play Wii-U games. That'll stop all the confusion. Meanwhile... Wii Mini.

• Thumbs Up 2