Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Isn't this similar to what happened with the 3DS? There's bound to be more marketing and games come April/May.

Nintendo handhelds have a well established reputation for having squiffy initial 6-18 month opening periods (game-wise), after which they tend to dominate all comers. Nintendo home consoles have no such track record, and it only has a limited period of time now to stop its old Wii user-base from moving on and away from the Wii brand, into Microsoft or Sony's waiting arms. Lack of awareness and an awkward name mean that word of mouth won't help them like it did with the Wii, which means that its currently non-existent marketing is key to bringing interest in. Even if they show off a raft of great looking first party games at E3, it might be too late if the marketing isn't there to push them hard.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why can't they do...

U will play! or something corny.

I'd prefer they bring back the GBA/Cube's "Who are you?"

Only Who are U

The GameCube was barely marketed at all. Frankly, the last thing this system needs is their level of marketing.

It needs Wii style ads everywhere. It needs its own entries of the Sports and Fit game series'.

Oh and apparently Need for Speed on the Wii U is the best version out there. Buy it up!

• Thumbs Up 2

They really need an intriguing casual game that isn't Wii Sports or Wii Fit that they can market the fuck out of. Something that people will want to play out of sheer curiosity...

The GameCube was barely marketed at all. Frankly, the last thing this system needs is their level of marketing.

It needs Wii style ads everywhere. It needs its own entries of the Sports and Fit game series'.

Oh and apparently Need for Speed on the Wii U is the best version out there. Buy it up!

Wii style marketing would be great

but hell, that slogan man

Who are U?

but hell, that slogan man

Who are U?

Shadow might get the wrong impression...

Frankly, it's pretty baffling that such a restriction was ever considered a good idea at all.

I don't think it was Nintendo's fault. Since they're stationed in Germany, they have to apply to their regulations and restrictions. Sadly, it ended up hurting everybody.

Yeah, they had to do it because, Germany. They had to wait around for that board to say the lock wasn't really needed, otherwise there would have been legal ramifications.

Holy shit that's tempting. I wonder how much I'd get for the PS3 that's gathering dust under my TV!

...then again, the Wii U would likely do exactly the same thing.

It's obviously a combination of the Wii-U not selling and HMV struggling to avoid closure, but it does make you wonder if they're discounting any of their other systems/stock at stupid levels?

• Thumbs Up 2

Dammit. Just got my Basic Pack for 270 euros (long story short, I'm from Wales but live in France). Mind you, I'm not going on a visit to the UK for a bit, so I probably would of missed the deal. And I already have ZombiU, so I haven't really missed out on much.

My boyfriend just told me about this! We're heading down tomorrow morning to pick it up the moment HMV opens, since we're going to be out all day. This is a deal we just can't afford to miss out on!

Maybe the Wii U is finally getting it's much needed popularity in the UK. 

But Nintendo really need to push the Wii U more. They need more advertisements. Whether it be on TV or on a billboard, they still need to advertise it.

My boyfriend just told me about this! We're heading down tomorrow morning to pick it up the moment HMV opens, since we're going to be out all day. This is a deal we just can't afford to miss out on!

Just so you know, the sale doesn't officially start until Monday.

But I might go myself anyway, whilst the Wii-U is a great price at that... saddly, theres just no games out for it to justify such a price. Kinda hoping though that there will be some deals on other systems...

Or heck, even some Only Fools And Horses offers. Lovely Jubbly. =p

Maybe the Wii U is finally getting it's much needed popularity in the UK. 

Wishful thinking- this is to get rid of stock they don't have space for more than anything.

It's a steal, I'll tell you that much. Even with a potential permanent UK price cut you're not going to get another deal like that anytime soon. If you're planning on getting a Wii U like... ever, then now would be the best chance to get it if only from a financial standpoint.

• Thumbs Up 3

I have to say, I'm taking a look at these videos Nintendo's posted on their NSMBU channel, and just wow.

These videos seriously make me appreciate this game so much more. The amount of depth and design in the game is pretty amazing. I just wish the game went through the efforts of actually looking "new" because it's seriously one of the best 2D Mario games.

• Thumbs Up 8

I think Nintendo are suffering from a "Boy who cried Wolf" situation. For so long the NSMB series has been known for mediocrity, that suddenly, many gamers may dismiss NSMBU simply for being what it is. They could have made it a little different by putting a little more effort into the look and feel of the game. They managed to make Kirby's Epic Yarn look so charming, so I have no reason to believe they could have made this game look more interesting than it does. That and change up that very formulaic soundtrack.....

NSMB isn't known for mediocrity, it is known for using the same background and foreground graphics. They're all fantastic games with really good level design and you can do crazy stuff like that in literally all of them. Just look at the NSMBWii Super Play videos.

• Thumbs Up 4

NSMB isn't known for mediocrity, it is known for using the same background and foreground graphics. They're all fantastic games with really good level design and you can do crazy stuff like that in literally all of them. Just look at the NSMBWii Super Play videos.

To be brutally honest, I thought both NSMB DS and NSMB Wii were mediocre, didn't really excite me very much and neither was particularly memorable. I haven't played 2, but I've heard that its nothing special.