Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Actually I honestly have to wonder just how feasible a "Gamecube Virtual Console" would end up being.

Logistically it would be impossible to map the button inputs in certain games because of the rather stupid design decision of having Gamecube's trigger act as two separate inputs and the Wii U pad not having analog triggers. Certain games like Super Mario Sunshine and Metal Arms actually used those triggers to their advantage.

They could release a specialized Gamecube controller for Virtual Console or map those extra inputs to the new clickable sticks but I mean really.

• Thumbs Up 1

That issue actually exists beyond Gamecube. Some games on 360/PS3 feature analog triggers and those games were ported to Wii U. Some retooling is necessary but I don't think it'll become that big of an issue.

I highly doubt they'll come out with a Gamecube controller. They missed their chance after making the Controller U.

That issue actually exists beyond Gamecube. Some games on 360/PS3 feature analog triggers and those games were ported to Wii U. Some retooling is necessary but I don't think it'll become that big of an issue.

Retooling is easy on a port. Retooling doesn't work on a straight rerelease to another system. And it's not only the analog triggers. It's also the nested shoulder buttons.

I believe there is a third party wii u pro controller that has analog triggers but its all about mapping out with the controls they got now. Look how they port old games to other systems. Mario 64 to its DS counter part ect. Any game can do anything if they do it right. No restriction just cause it can't do one button response.

I highly doubt they'll come out with a Gamecube controller. They missed their chance after making the Controller U.

PS3/360 don't have triggers acting as two separate inputs though, and the only real genre that massively sees benefits from the addition of them are racing games of which Wii U only has two of right now.

Need For Speed Most Wanted U is the game that suffers more on account of it though and is inferior in it's control scheme merely due to the triggers. It's still a damn, damn good enhanced port however. If no one's played it yet I could easily recommend it.

Retooling is easy on a port. Retooling doesn't work on a straight rerelease to another system. And it's not only the analog triggers. It's also the nested shoulder buttons.

I'm sure Nintendo will be able to provide a work-around for the issue. It would be silly for them to release a game that may or may not be broken due to the loss of the trigger control scheme.

I'm more worried about Nintendo overcharging for the GC games. They better be affordable and not silly stupid prices.

Edited by Autosaver

photomar24005039.jpg

Yup, bought one on Saturday at HMV with Zombi U for just 200 pounds! Haven't played Zombi U yet, but I've checked out the Miiverse and played some Nintendoland. I really underestimated that game, I thought it was quite fun! Certainly a big improvement over Wii Sports...

Anyways the console itself is great! The interface is nice and things like Netflix work really well on Wii U. I also think Miiverse is great and it's fun to doodle or write messages about the games you like (and other stuff). I think the only downsides are the looong loading times, having to switch regions all the time with a Mii since it doesn't allow multiple regions on one console for some reason (annoying for us cos my bf is Spanish and doesn't want to be shown with the UK flag! =P) and of course the lack of new, exlusive Wii U games atm. But I'm sure this will all change with Spring just around the corner!

Overall it's a fun console, I'm glad Nintendo has stepped up to HD and I don't get why some people have to complain about it since its really not that bad. I give it an 8.5/10. =3

Edited by Gabz Girl
  • Thumbs Up 2

They're right, 1996>>>>>>>>>The rest of the 90s. It's the only year of that decade that someone did something important.

I have agree with them on the Wii being DA BESS. It, in my opinion, has the best library of games out of all the consoles mainly because it can play GC games and has the VC. But my opinion is probably slanted towards it because my favorite games of all time, Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy 2, are playable on it.

Edited by Red Cap-Blue Spikes

They're right, 1996>>>>>>>>>The rest of the 90s. It's the only year of that decade that someone did something important.

I have agree with them on the Wii being DA BESS. It, in my opinion, has the best library of games out of all the consoles mainly because it can play GC games and has the VC. But my opinion is probably slanted towards it because my favorite games of all time, Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy 2, are playable

1996: Release of Nintendo 64, Super Mario 64 (which I haven't played), Crash Bandicoot, Tomb Raider & Bubsy...3D...ugh...

Any other major gaming events that year I might have missed?

Any other major gaming events that year I might have missed?

Professional Asshole Bernie Stolar is put in charge of Sega of America. Completely dismantles any chance the Saturn would have had of selling in America on purpose so he can force Sega of Japan to work on a replacement.

I'm sure Nintendo will be able to provide a work-around for the issue. It would be silly for them to release a game that may or may not be broken due to the loss of the trigger control scheme.

I'm more worried about Nintendo overcharging for the GC games. They better be affordable and not silly stupid prices.

It isn't like all of the N64 games on VC made the jump to the Gamecube controller/Classic Controller flawlessly either.  C stick doesn't exactly replace 4 C-buttons very well.

Lego City Undercover: The Chase Begins, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Super Smash Bros., Pokémon X/Pokémon Y

Super Smash Bros? Are we closer to it than we thought?

This was listed "COMING SOON" on 3DS facts.

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=198986

EDIT: Nintendo puts more support for indies.

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=198998

Edited by Autosaver

Hahaha, I knew nobody would get that. It was an asshole-ish joke. I was born in 1996. But surprisingly a lot of my favorite stuff came from that year.

Edited by Red Cap-Blue Spikes

The Wii U is so slow that there's a loading screen for a loading screen... omg

• Thumbs Up 5

That's a fantastic improvement in loading speed. I hope that further updates can cut that time down even further.

Will the load times for games, apps et al also be cut down similarly?

That's a fantastic improvement in loading speed. I hope that further updates can cut that time down even further.

Will the load times for games, apps et al also be cut down similarly?

I think it's loading system wide, not just exiting apps.

It'd be nice if it'll help with LEGO Undercover some.  The game's great but when it has to load - sheesh.  (And I'm used to Skyrim's PS3 loads).  But I really hadn't had much issue with the Wii U loading.  I wish it didn't have to, but I hadn't found them unreasonably long. Still, less waiting time is better.

Nintendo's 3rd party support is lacking so much to the point you must have a PS4/Next gen Xbox (or even a PC!) before getting a Wii U for its first party exclusives.

I don't like EA, but they are so important in the gaming industry, that if Nintendo doesn't shake hands with EA it's going to get even more ugly. BF4 isn't coming to the Wii U already and if the next NFS, FIFA and Madden doesn't make it to Wii U, the Wii U will sink hard.

Edited by Ming Ming Shana

Nintendo's 3rd party support is lacking so much to the point you must have a PS4/Next gen Xbox (or even a PC!) before getting a Wii U for its first party exclusives.

I don't like EA, but they are so important in the gaming industry, that if Nintendo doesn't shake hands with EA it's going to get even more ugly. BF4 isn't coming to the Wii U already and if the next NFS, FIFA and Madden doesn't make it to Wii U, the Wii U will sink hard.

I'd rather not have Origin as the main Nintendo shop thank you very much.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's your choice though. People who want to play BF4 on Wii U can't now because of Nintendo's lack of EA support.

• Thumbs Up 1

If EA was more focused on providing us with electronic arts, instead of sucking our wallets dry while doing an incredible impression of a massive swinging dick, maybe, just maybe, BF4 would be a Wii U game too.

But is this really all about Nintendo having some backbone when it comes to publishers' demands?

• Thumbs Up 3