Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

IF they are smart, they will put together a huge marketing campaign this summer, to get the news and name out there, and get all the kids(and naive parents) wanting it, and will undercut the PS4/nextbox campaign, specialy if there is a small price cut, and results in them getting it this summer for next christmas, specialy if they get them bundled

Nintendo better turn the Wii U around by 2014 or there's going to be a massive drop in support. D=

Edit: In other news. Miiverse for smartphone footage

Edited by Autosaver

Yeah I feel the same here, when I go to a store there is near to none advertisement of the console and a lot more for the Wii. Even the Wii mini as more advertisement than the WiiU. And it doesn't help that there is no price cut in sight around here.

So yeah I think Nintendo is really missing an opportunity here, they should try to get head while they can.    

Really? I thought their was almost zero advertising of the Wii Mini? At least over here in the UK? huh.png

Nintendo can really rake in hype at E3 by announcing games people care about! Hype sells. If their E3 conference is anything like last years for this year, then....but that wouldn't be the case.

We are definitely getting footage of the new Smash Bros. and the new 3D Mario game. That is already way better than what they showed at E3 2012. Hell, maybe Bayonetta 2 will be shown as well!

If Nintendo play their cards right, then the system can sell like hot-cakes! As for 3rd party support, I personally buy Nintendo consoles to play Nintendo games to be honest...the PS4/720 are gonna have a hell of a lot more 3rd Party support, so it's best to have one of those and a Wii U (like having a PS3 or 360 with a Wii on the side).

Edited by KrazyBean
  • Thumbs Up 2

I can only assume that Nintendo don't want to shell out money for advertising the system at the moment because there are no big games to advertise with it. I really hope they get some games out there and start selling systems. Lack of games and poor third party support are really putting me off right now.

Really? I thought their was almost zero advertising of the Wii Mini? At least over here in the UK? huh.png

Yeah, strange that some stores promote a lot of consoles but I don't see the WiiU anywhere. I was shocked too when I saw an advertisement on one of the stores for the Wii mini and none for the WiiU. Is like Nintendo doesn't even care.

But I guess I have to agree with most people here and say that there isn't a lot software for the console. I hope it eventually takes off like the 3ds.

I would've thought that they'd be more than happy to modify UE3 and F2 for Wii U games, but I guess they just don't want to put in the work. It's a shame.

I would've thought that they'd be more than happy to modify UE3 and F2 for Wii U games, but I guess they just don't want to put in the work. It's a shame.

UE3 works. CryEngine 3 is also on there. Frostbite and UE4 isn't, which is weird because the latter was said to be scaleable if a developer wanted to make a game for it. Luminous Engine and Fox Engine are up in the air but most likely the signs point to no.

Honestly pretty depressing. GDC has been a nightmare for Wii U save for the development tools, indie pushes and Miiverse news. Unfortunately there's a picture doing rounds of how Nintendo's actual show room looked like, and out of the 100 or so seats there were only about 12 people in there.

Ridiculous.

I'm pretty sure Fox Engine could work on WiiU, Kojima said it wasn't meant for anything in particular.

Unfortunately there's a picture doing rounds of how Nintendo's actual show room looked like, and out of the 100 or so seats there were only about 12 people in there.

Ridiculous.

I can see /v/'s first page being littered with OPs using that image for a long time to come.

The power gap between this generation and the next isn't anything like the gap separating the PS2 from the PS3. UE4 and F3 should work on the Wii U, given a concerted effort on the developers' part, but thanks to Epic's less than positive history with Nintendo, and EA's dickish attitude toward them, they won't even try to port them. Basically, this has nothing to do with system power and everything to do with relations between the companies.

• Thumbs Up 4

What I am seeing is that EA wants to try and pull the same thing with nintendo that they did with sega, because they figure they can make more money with Sony and Windows, especialy with all the insane measures, and because Nintendo has actualy had the guts to refuse to allow EA to have the contol it wants.

Way I see it, I want to root for Nintendo, even though they have their own flaws, they were willing to stand up against EA... becoming third party would cause them too much trouble, look what it did to sega and sonic(heroes and '06, both having troubles adapting to the playstations)

Edited by Mandobardanjusik

EA has never liked Nintendo, so I don't find their actions all that surprising. I really do mean never too.

Epic went on to say that companies can port UE4 and UE4 games to WiiU if they want, but they haven't built it with WiiU in mind.

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=199275

Same sort of thing with UE on Wii I guess. Either way, he and many others still laughed at the WiiU.

To be honest, for the most part this is down to Nintendo. I have no idea how they let their third party relations get so bad. Or the marketing, or.. well.. anything.

Now I know what the retailers mean when they say Nintendo's silence is deafening, because seriously, what are they doing.

Unfortunately there's a picture doing rounds of how Nintendo's actual show room looked like, and out of the 100 or so seats there were only about 12 people in there.

From what I read on GAF from folksb who were at GDC, that picture was actually taken before the Miiverse panel event started.

The power gap between this generation and the next isn't anything like the gap separating the PS2 from the PS3. UE4 and F3 should work on the Wii U, given a concerted effort on the developers' part, but thanks to Epic's less than positive history with Nintendo, and EA's general dickishness, they won't even try to port them. Basically, this has nothing to do with system power and everything to do with relations between the companies.

I agree with this. Battlefield 4 is coming to the PS3 and 360, although, it would not look nowhere near as good as the PC version (and will probably look slightly better than BF3 on console). Yes, Frosbite 3 will be severely nerfed for it to work on current-gen systems but the point is, it'll still work on them, which means that there is no excuse for them to say that the Wii U (the console with better tech than the PS3/360) will not have the capability to run it.

Edited by KrazyBean
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Frostbite 3 thing, apparently, is just that they haven't got the engine running on Wii U yet, and it's not to do with it being unable to run on it, or it never running it. It came out during an interview with Eurogamer about Battlefield 4; they explained that they didn't have the time or manpower to do the game justice on the Wii U, and that's why it's not coming to it.

Well, apparently. Could be lies.

So, for people freaking out that the Wii U apparently has no games, you might want to check out this list. There's quite a few games that might interest you guys. I don't know about you guys, but there's quite a bit of interesting stuff going on in this list. And there's quite a few indie games that are either exclusive or aren't on other consoles.

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/12568/upcoming-wii-u-games/

Edited by Masaru Daimon
  • Thumbs Up 2

The Wii U doesn't getting very many big third party 'blockbuster' games though, and it really does need them.

Those would never be exclusive, so them being on the system wouldn't help anyway. Wii U needs to succeed by being different.

So, for people freaking out that the Wii U apparently has no games, you might want to check out this list. There's quite a few games that might interest you guys. I don't know about you guys, but there's quite a bit of interesting stuff going on in this list. And there's quite a few indie games that are either exclusive or aren't on other consoles.

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/12568/upcoming-wii-u-games/

Eh, some of the games on there aren't really good, such as the Walking Dead: Survival Instinct, but other then that's it's a good list. 

Eh, some of the games on there aren't really good, such as the Walking Dead: Survival Instinct, but other then that's it's a good list. 

The list is a bit old. I remember some people being excited over The Walking Dead. I was actually going to preorder at the discount price but I decided not to since Activision = lol.

Those would never be exclusive, so them being on the system wouldn't help anyway. Wii U needs to succeed by being different.

Of course they wouldn't be exclusive, but they, combined with system exclusives, would help to attract a lot of people who might otherwise be put off by the lack of third party big hitters on the system.