Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

But the question, really, is when are the games going to come out?  Several of those are 'launch window' games and still listed as such on the official site, which means they're supposed to be out tomorrow at the latest. . . .and I don't think they're going to be all hitting the stores tomorrow.  LEGO City, barely made it under the wire, so five of the stronger-looking games have missed the window (Pikmin 3, Wii Fit U, Rayman Legends - not their fault, I know -, Game & Wario, Wonderful 101).  And while the intention may be to give folks encouragement, waving the big name games without even vague timing only ends up increasing frustration.  I'm not the only one who got a 3DS expecting Luigi's Mansion within a year of launch, and while it's certainly worth the wait, it did take a lot longer than implied.   Ditto for Sticker Star, which perhaps less wait-worthy.  Most people don't buy consoles for games that are coming out 'sometime', they buy to play games now, so simply advertising a big-name game won't net many sales.  Of course, rushing a game out to make sales is a tried and failed practice of many a company.

I'd just like some sort of ETA, revised if necessary.  But not right now.  I'm busy playing LEGO City, which was part of my 'launch bundle' pre-order.

Unreal Engine 4 will not be heading to Wii U, only for PC, PS4 & Durango

http://kotaku.com/the-wii-u-wont-be-getting-unreal-engine-4-462919060?

I figured I'd ask straight-out, so during the Q&A with Rein, I did. "Will UE4 run on the Wii U?"

"Hahaha no." Rein said, with expert comedic timing. The room erupted with laughter. As the laughs died down, Rein continued: "I mean, sorry, it's not really a correct answer. We're not… we have Unreal Engine 3 for the Wii U. Right? And Unreal Engine 3 is powering all kinds of amazing games, still lots of games are being made with Unreal Engine 3. We announced today about a new Unreal Engine 3 license. Unreal Engine 3 doesn't disappear because of Unreal Engine 4. But our goal for Unreal Engine 4 console-wise is next-gen consoles. That's really what our energies are focused on. If you want to make a Wii U game, we have Unreal Engine 3, and it's powering some of the best games on the Wii U already.

"Nothing controversial, guys," he jokingly chided.

Unreal Engine 4 will not be heading to Wii U, only for PC, PS4 & Durango

http://kotaku.com/the-wii-u-wont-be-getting-unreal-engine-4-462919060?

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/29/mark-rein-interview-gdc-2013/

But that's not technically true, he admitted the next day, walking back his gaffe. "You heard the stupid gaffe yesterday about the Wii U," he said. "If someone wants to take Unreal Engine 4 and ship a game on Wii U, they can! If they wanna ship an Unreal Engine 4 game on Xbox 360, they could make it happen." While that game might not look as pretty as it would on a "true" next-gen console, the new engine is scalable to a variety of platforms, including mobile.

• Thumbs Up 5

So it was a LIE and a dig at nintendo. Just more proof of the bias in the gaming development community.

Wii-U may not be the strongest system, but its got its own strengths, and stuff that will help it survive. Heck if I was in the habit of getting new game systems I might get it, but I am not and would much rather work on my N64 collection

Edited by Mandobardanjusik

It's not exactly a lie. Epic isn't supporting Wii U as a platform, but UE4 could still run on it to a certain capacity.

That said, many developers probably won't want to use it. UE4 is a very closed-space type engine compared to its predecessor. I don't think a lot of people will make that switch anytime immediately even on the high end consoles.

How professional lol.

Nintendo has always being the whipping boy of the industry ever since the GCN (and arguably the N64) came out, and It's really tiring me out. Personally, I don't really care for the PS4 at all despite it's power, it's just the fact it feels like a incremental upgrade to a system rather than a different innovation.

Still, wait until we find out about Retro's engine they're currently brewing up, and hopefully all the snarky pulls at Nintendo will flush away.

I'm sick and tired of Retro Studios not showing anything at E3, or any other event. What the hell are they even doing? Does the studio even exist any more?

They moved into a new, bigger office recently and are expanding.

Whatever they were working on wasn't ready to be shown last E3. Since they've already shown a plethora of new Wii U games on the recent Nintendo Direct though, I think it's safe to assume we'll hear more about it this E3 along with the 3D Mario, Mario Kart and Smash.

I got Lego City today. I've spend more time watching loading screens that I have playing the game. It's fun, but what the hell. It's a serious problem because at times there's a lot of loading screens to get though. It's a very pretty game though. Quite impressive, and the Gamepad works really well.

On an unrelated note, when I registered the game on Club Nintendo I purposely answered "other" to every question I could and posted this everywhere:

Please stop making me fill out this form, Nintendo. It's incredibly time consuming and I don't think I've once answered it honestly. I just click random buttons and press 'next'. The market research you're conducting from this will inevitably be hugely inaccurate I'm sure because very few can be bothered to answer it properly. Can't you just... I don't know, let us make accounts that remember our personal details? And heck, incorporate an app for registering games right from our 3DS/Wii U systems? There's so many questions here, so many that are practically exactly the same and ultimately not easy to answer. This system needs a massive overhaul.

Thank you for reading this message.

Club Nintendo is cool. The survey is not.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 7

I got Lego City today. I've spend more time watching loading screens that I have playing the game. It's fun, but what the hell. It's a serious problem because at times there's a lot of loading screens to get though. It's a very pretty game though. Quite impressive, and the Gamepad works really well. On an unrelated note, when I registered the game on Club Nintendo I purposly answered "other" to every question I could and posted this everywhere:

There is supposed to be a patch in a couple weeks that will boost(I mean shorten) loading times by a lot, presumably that includes games. Could be they still have optimized system programming for the best loading times, its something that takes time to work out, but happens on every system with a disk drive. usualy ironed out prior to release though

Edited by Mandobardanjusik
  • Thumbs Up 1

There is supposed to be a patch in a couple weeks that will boost(I mean shorten) loading times by a lot, presumably that includes games. Could be they still have optimized system programming for the best loading times, its something that takes time to work out, but happens on every system with a disk drive. usualy ironed out prior to release though

These are load times within the game itself, not for starting the game up or returning to the plaza. So I'm quite sure that they won't be affected by the upcoming update.

I got Lego City today. I've spend more time watching loading screens that I have playing the game. It's fun, but what the hell. It's a serious problem because at times there's a lot of loading screens to get though. It's a very pretty game though. Quite impressive, and the Gamepad works really well.

On an unrelated note, when I registered the game on Club Nintendo I purposely answered "other" to every question I could and posted this everywhere:

I think I'm going to paste this in from now on.

I might do as well actually, when I log into PSN on the net, my games are already "registered", it shouldn't be hard for Nintendo to do the same without long codes and forms.

Then again; as far as I know Square still do that. Maybe there are perks to using codes over online registration, but I can't see why..

More frequent and longer than Sonic 06?

I have the game too. But the load times I feel are somewhat exaggerated.

You have a load time for the city. Once done, you never have to load again. It honestly was annoying for me at the start of the game because there were a lot of cutscenes being loaded in. But when you actually start the action, then it practically becomes nonexistant. I'm fine with a 1 minute load screen if that means that Lego City will be free of load screens.

Basically, this is when load screens occur.

Starting the game.

Entering the Police Station.

Cutscenes/Story Mission Entrances.

And that's about it. At least the missions from what I've played have been quite long (playtime) so it's not that big of a deal to me. They definitely could be shortened in a patch. They are annoying so I'm hoping TT goes back to the game and reduces the amount of time spent loading.

Why isn't there some sort of minigame during load screens? Who thought it was a great idea to make the Wii U gamepad a progress bar? >.>

Edited by Autosaver

Why isn't there some sort of minigame during load screens?

Someone patented that idea, so no one can do it anymore.

Edited by Ekaje

Someone patented that idea, so no one can do it anymore.

Are you kidding me that's the dumbest thing.

(was it the guys who make DragonBall games because they always have button mashing things on load screens)

• Thumbs Up 2

Wait, what kind of shit is that? You can't seriously patent something like that can you? That's the dumbest shit.

Namco were the ones who patented the technology. They used it in Tekken 5 among other games.

Technology or concept? Because I'm sure ASRT's slot machine would count as the same concept.