Awoo.

SEGA's 2012 Plans?

gallantventurer

• 2 weeks later...

Sonic Reborn Preview:

A lone figure staggers across the ruins of the Scrap Brain Zone. His cheeks are caked in mud, and blood seeps through his mangled blue fur. He is vulnerable, but his green eyes still hold the spark of defiance that has enthralled gamers since the early '90s. Behold the new face of Sonic the Hedgehog. This gritty reboot will have you questioning everything you know about Sonic the Hedgehog. Reborn is about survival - not speed - and delves into an emotional portrait of what it means to be a hedgehog. After the Eggman plague wipes out 80 percent of the world's population, the nineteen-year-old Sonic is left to fend for himself in the wasteland, fighting off hordes of robo-ghouls. The tension is thrilling, and fleeing isn't an option sinces psychological trauma prevents Sonic from ever breaking into a run. Forget about spin jumps and loop-de-loops; as you search for tarnished rings (figments of Sonic's mind that represent a broken engagement), your only weapons are improvised shivs and your hedgehog wits. This makes Reborn the most mature Sonic to date, though giving Amy those double-Ds helps, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1beYwtwK_o&feature=related

Edited by SockDrawer

Sonic 4 ep 2 basically confirmed for 2012, we just don't know when

I would LOVE to see a SA2 port

Outside of that, I don't expect much from Sonic next year, seeing as these last 2 have been pretty big for him. Although, next year he does reach the legal US drinking age, so that should mean some sort of celebrations are in order, right?

Sonic 4 Episode 2: Pretty much a given, we've waited long enough. It's a bit of a laugh that this is meant to be an episodic game, I didn't really expect Sega to copy the Half-Life 2 example of "episodic". Hopefully we'll actually hear something about the game soon, though I guess Sega want to avoid a repeat of Episode 1, with the entire game being spoiled months ahead of its release.

Sonic Adventure 2 for PSN/XBL: Words can't express how much I'd love to see this, as Sonic Adventure 2 is the only major Sonic title I've not yet played, since I don't have a Dreamcast or Gamecube. Sadly I think it's pretty unlikely - the SA1 port was based on the PC version, and since SA2 didn't have a PC version, this may possibly imply more work for Sega. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it - I'd just rather not get my hopes up...

Sonic for Wii U: It's a safe bet that the Wii U will be getting a Sonic title, probably not too long after its release - with a Wii U release looking likely for 2013, we could get a game announcement in late 2012. I'm not sure what sort of game it would be - IIRC Sonic & the Black Knight disappointed in terms of sales so I'm not sure how another Storybook title would fare. Of course, with the Wii U catching up to the level of the PS3 and X360, there's always a chance that they may just start sharing multiplatform titles...

I think 2012 is going to be the year of Sonic 4. By the time Episode 2 is released, well over a year will have passed since the release of Episode I. Most downloadable, episodic games with 4 levels in each ep. don't need a year between releases. My guess is that all of the remaining episodes of Sonic 4 will be released over the course of the next year.

We might also get some new zones via DLC for Generations, although that may just be wishful thinking on my part.

Beyond that, I don't expect much from the series next year, although I think we can expect some game announcements or rumors to start popping up near the end of the year.

If the games continue on the release schedule they have been, the next major title should be released in 2013. My bet is that it'll be a multiplatform title for the Wii-U and the PS3 (Sorry, 360 owners.) The Wii-U and the PS3 both have around 25GB of disc space available. The 360 has less than 10 GB.

Frankly, I don't want to see a brand new Sonic game (ports and other such stuff notwithstanding) untill 2013-4, maybe later. I want Sonic Team to get that development team to spend a long time making the next game for the next console generation. I reckon by 2014, at least two thirds of the 8th gen console will be released.

The project after that, well, that should obviously be aimed for 2016-7 for Sonic's big quarter century. At this point all 3 8th gen consoles will be out, and the game should be as massive as physically possible (in terms of content)

• Thumbs Up 2

I've stated this before in another topic on here, I believe, but no matter how much people want Sega/Sonic Team to give the Sonic franchise a break for a year or two/more, it most likely ain't going to happen (and if it does, I would be surprised)- and I am speaking for a business perspective. That would be like saying to your investors and higher ups "We're going to be losing more money every year so we can take longer and spend more money to make games for our most successful franchise, that okay with you guys?"

And they can't make do with just ports, either, I'd think. Besides, from what I understand, a Wii U Sonic game is already under works/consideration (or so one source claimed, lolfluffykittens). Also, S4E2 is definitely coming out next year, and that's a "brand new Sonic game" technically. And Mario and Sonic 3DS comes out that year too iirc, so that sort of counts. That's already 3 games, if the Wii U game is to be believed to come out next year.

• 2 weeks later...

All Sega is really focusing on is sonic nowadays.. They need to treat sonic like Nintendo is treating Mario. Release A major mainstream Sonic game after every 2-2.5-3 years instead of just a year or close to a year so theirs plenty of time to work on them. Spin offs like S&SASR and shuffle are ok inbetween though.

Also bring back other franchises. Like Streets of rage, Nights(Wii game was just alright...),A new console Shinobi, and maybe even something similiar to altered beast. It sucks having to see my favorite game developer work on just sonic and random games that could usually be good or even great, but no one cares abut in the end. (Minus Bayonetta....but Sega only published that).

After generations, I hope we don't get a major Sonic title until maybe 2013....Generations is all I need for a long time.

After generations, I hope we don't get a major Sonic title until maybe 2013....Generations is all I need for a long time.
Edited by sonfan1984

You mean like they're doing right now anyway, releasing a major Sonic title every 2 or 3 years? Sonic is their main selling franchise right now and if they treat Sonic like Mario with a major title every 5 years, Sega is probably doomed.

I consider Black knight and Secret rings major games. BK released only 1 year after unleashed. and SR released only 1 year after 06.

• 1 month later...

In response to the first post in this topic, I would love Colours HD, but they'd need to do a few things up if you ask me - the quickstep would need to be done properly instead of just having 'quick step zones', and the loop sections should be less automated. Graphics would need to be improved a little too, though not much since it's simplistic cartoony style lends a lot to it, it wouldn't necessarily need to be ported to the Hedgehog engine if it was a downloadable game.

But yes, it's definitely one of the best Sonic games ever and deserves to be able to hop onto the consoles which have a few more years of life in them and be enjoyed by a larger audience. Since Colours is on the Wii it often isn't 'counted' either, what I mean is that people always say 'Sonic's been rubbish but Sonic Generations/Sonic 4 have returned it to it's former glory', completely forgetting all about Colours which was probably a better game in general than both of them.

Other things from SEGA in 2012, well I'm definitely looking forward to Sonic 4 Episode 2, after all the cool stuff they've shown they can do in Generations. I'm sure they've probably improved the physics too, otherwise it wouldn't have taken this long. I personally won't be bothered if they haven't but I'd like the other fans to be happy too. Other than that I can't say I'm expecting another major 'main series' title, Generations is great and they shouldn't rush stuff out.

I definitely think we need Sonic Adventure 2 on XBLA/PSN. Seems to be the only one which we care about and can't play on our current systems (except the Gamecube version for those who have a Wii).

Why I said they should bring back there other franchises. I think most people will like those.

And I really just want another streets of rage.....sad face.

I consider Black knight and Secret rings major games. BK released only 1 year after unleashed. and SR released only 1 year after 06.

I agree with the other franchises thing. I want to see a new Jet set radio already.

I know back when Sonic All Stars Racing came out, they will be still doing the "All Stars" Brand for newer games. So I expect another kind of game involving them.

Im not really... sure if SEGA will release anything on VITA. Sadly, ever since rivals, they stuck away from that handheld since the sales did poorly.

Sonic4 episode 2 of course. Sadly im not to excited about it, cause im expecting game physics (if it changed? not by much)

A Wii U Sonic game? Possibly, I mean, Secret Rings came out I believe launch day of Wii, so maybe Wii U will get its down Sonic game. Nintendo always gets most of the Sonic games anyway.

Personally, I think the Storybook Series should be dropped completely. In my opinion, on-rails games suck, and SatSR and SatBK were balls (with the latter being more ballsy). And if they were to just use the Unleashed-style gameplay, then there would be no point to them, as they wouldn't be doing anything different gameplay-wise to set it apart from the main series. So yeah, I think that team should just continue to make main series games like they did with Colors.

Eh, I disagree. What I like about the Storybook games are the storybook worlds and the cast having different roles. I'd be way more than totally fine with it playing more like Generations.

That's what I'd like to see from SEGA

- Sonic 4 Ep. 2

- new SEGA All Stars game

- SA2 and Shenmue for XBLA/PSN

- Wii U Sonic Game

- New Mario & Sonic (a fighting or RPG one)

- New Guardian Heroes game

- Bayonetta 2

- Shenmue 2 XBLA/PSN

- New major Sonic Title

- Shenmue sequel

- another SEGA All stars game

- Sonic 4 Ep. 3

- Astal reboot (or some other game)

What i'd like to see from SEGA & ST in teh coming months/years.

~Sonic CD

~Sonic 3&Knuckles PSN

~SA2 PSN

~Sonic 4 Episode 2

~New All-stars game

Sonic 4 Episode 3 and finish of the title

New Major Sonic title for all consoles.(well depends on the consoles. I don' t want 2 versions)

Mario and Sonic at winter games again i guess(probably what will happen)

• 1 month later...

If anything, I'm hoping for the confirmation of a new all stars game

Got an interesting news tip about a new game that could be in the works and it's not Sonic Dimensions. Just waiting for an e-mail reply and I'll have the story up on TSS later. It'll be posted up as rumour.

Followed by the same article rephrased by tssz to appear as facts a few minutes later

• Thumbs Up 1

Not heard anything back yet. As much as I hate doing so, I think I'm going to just post it up now and update it with anything new I may get. I was also waiting to hear whether the tipster would like us to credit his name or keep it secret. He did end the e-mail with his first name and no online tag, so maybe I should just go with that? I think the inside person's e-mail message he's passed on would know it was him from the news he's sent to me anyway XD

Will have it up on TSS soon.

• Thumbs Up 3

Not heard anything back yet. As much as I hate doing so, I think I'm going to just post it up now and update it with anything new I may get. I was also waiting to hear whether the tipster would like us to credit his name or keep it secret. He did end the e-mail with his first name and no online tag, so maybe I should just go with that? I think the inside person's e-mail message he's passed on would know it was him from the news he's sent to me anyway XD

Will have it up on TSS soon.

• Thumbs Up 3