Awoo.

New interview video: Iizuka

Woun

Why are you guys bitching so much about the first level in the game especially since the game is still in development and they can always add more obstacles and stuff to do later on?

We are bitching so they could add more obstacles and stuff. ^_^ Simple as that.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't want multiple acts personally. <_< That's one thing I didn't like about Colors, 2 minute acts. I want full length stages like Unleashed did, much more satisfying to play through those then Colors' way of doing things which was only made that way to make it easier for the demographic it was apparently targeting. I would be fine with acts if they were the lengths of the acts in the classic games (alot of Sonic 3 acts take me 6 to 7 minutes actually), but the length of both the classic and modern levels we've seen, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a tad worried.

Not even close. The start of Windmill Isle is a narrow hallway, but there are things in that hallway, paths within that path (pathception). There's launch rings you can jump to, and a split between stairs and ground level afterwards. Towards the end of the level the path splits with a QTE, then there's some quick gimmicks and some spikes to dodge before the goal ring. There are still choices for the player to make, obstacles to avoid, and things happening. The end of GHZ Modern Style is pretty much just "boost through this hallway, and maybe quickstep into some rings if you're still awake".

As someone who IS pleased with the gameplay in this game thus far, I regrettably have to agree with this. Windmill Isle had much more variation and a number of obstacles in your path. Compare the first 3D grinding sections in WI and GHZ. One has spike and dash hoops to keep you focused, the other has nothing. And then compare the what you can do in the 3D running sections. One has paths filled with springs, the occasional part where you have to have to stop, jump and home* and several parts while running where you can make a properly timed jump/turn to take a slightly different route. The other has rings and quickstep... Yeah...

Hopefully later stages will improve. I can replay WI because it's fun regardless of how simple it is. GHZ looks very basic and narrow though, and nowhere near as much fun. They have seemingly fallen into a trap that Unleashed HD managed to avoid- boring level design.

* The homing section in the GHZ video can be skipped entirely with a stomp and boost. And would you look at that, I'm asking for homing attack chains now due to a lack of variety! Hahaha!

Edited by Blue Blood

Wow. This was more linear than any Sonic level I've seen. I'm positive, its merely a tutorial level, or even just a tech demo type level. It mustbe. I'm sure they'll break out the heavy level designs later though. What bothers me is if this is the ONLY Modern Stage of GHZ. This version is doing a major disservice to the original GHZ.

We are bitching so they could add more obstacles and stuff. ^_^ Simple as that.

And they probably will either in the first stage or later stages in the game.

"X = win" my butt. I counted seven instances of significant platforming divergences in the level; One at 0:09, one at 0:17, that big-ass one at 0:50, a potential one at 1:28, 1:30, another big ass one at 1:34-145, and one at 1:46. And who knows? There may be more stuff I missed, and the large divergence at the waterfalls could be interesting and suggest a path below-- It looks like the platforms below could lead backwards to another path or towards a collectable or something. Regardless, I imagine when we all get the game and our ignorance and/or curiosity of the level design naturally throws us into these areas, this conversation about the supposed obviousness of Generations' significant inferiority to Unleashed and how it's a regression will simply have never happened.

• Thumbs Up 4

:17-:19,
This is basically the height of 3D level design in this level, which is pretty fucking embarrassing. All it is, is take the launch ring and the spring to the one rail, or do babby's first platforming challenge to get to the rail that's parallel to the first.

:50-:56.
I'm not talking about the 2D sections.

The one past the cave (the 2.5D section at the 1:58 mark) may be another.
No idea what you're talking about here.
  • Thumbs Up 2

This gameplay looks beautiful. Of course the first stage is boost-happy and linear. It's probably just meant to show off the contrast between classic and modern Sonic, to establish a rift. Still, it's hilarious watching people freak out about it. Imagine the popping blood vessels in their head. Imagine blood pressure so high with anger that, if the person received a paper cut,it would result in blood squirting out at a speed equal to Modern Sonic. Now THAT is some funny shit.

Well, at least we've got a sensible person here.

Why are you guys bitching so much about the first level in the game especially since the game is still in development and they can always add more obstacles and stuff to do? Since it being the first level then I'm not really expecting it to be hard. If all of moderns stages are like that then okay, we have a problem but we should wait and see more modern stages first to see if all the stages will be that way.

Why is everyone who's got even a little complaint about the game being insulted like this? I've seen nothing in the discussion we've all been having for the past 2 or 3 pages that could be referred to as "freaking out", "bitching" or not being "sensible". If we're going to have a discussion about this game here people, then we've got to accept that not everyone is liking what they've seen so far about the game. Yes, there's more of the game to see yet, but people are still allowed to say they don't like this or they don't like that about what's available so far. It doesn't mean they're freaking out, being a bitch or being insensible.

• Thumbs Up 5

Eh, I don't think Green Hill looks any more barren than either the Unleashed or Colours first stages, but oh well. I'm sure things will pick up later on in the game, C.Sonic's first level didn't look particularly full of obstacles either.

Yo ninjaz! I combined the available gameplay footage to create a complete stage run for Modern Sonic. Check it out!

Awesome job. How you synched the two videos right around the last 30 secs was flawless.

I'm calling it now, a 6 hour Sonic(s) game.

• Thumbs Up 1

"X = win" my butt.

One problem I have with Unleashed and Colors is that you press the Boost Button, you don't need to move around the analog stick anymore. It probably won't happen, but I wish they iron that out and make it like Rush where you can boost but still need directional input to move forward.

Edited by ChikaBoing

Who's babby?
Don't mind that, I'm just mixing up in-jokes from other forums...

Personally, I believe that the more you cuss, the more likely Sonic Team is to listen to your complaints.
Then I will damn sure continue to speak my fucking mind. Shit ass crap.
  • Thumbs Up 6

Don't mind that, I'm just mixing up in-jokes from other forums...

Then I will damn sure continue to speak my fucking mind. Shit ass crap.

It might help you get rid of some stress, you always seem angrier when Generations pops up. :P

EDIT: Seems to be a lot of un-needed negrepping here, I'll fix that.

Edited by Jaymeister

The more gameplay I watch of this game, the less desire I have to actually play it. The game looks gorgeous but the design is appalling - sort of like Chaotix.

Edited by Sean
  • Thumbs Up 1

So, I sent Ruby Eclipse a message which sums up everyone's complaints so at least know that he knows. He doesn't seem to come here at all (at least as far as I know), so I sent your complaints in.

Retro have barely said anything at all about this.

• Thumbs Up 1

One problem I have with Unleashed and Colors is that you press the Boost Button, you don't need to move around the analog stick anymore. It probably won't happen, but I wish they iron that out and make it like Rush where you can boost but still need directional input to move forward.

Considering what the Boost is, I don't understand why this would be an issue. It inherently creates forward momentum-- like the Spin Dash-- so why would it be imperative to make the player have to hold the forward direction as well in order to progress?

It might help you get rid of some stress, you always seem angrier when Generations pops up. :P
Only when it does stupid things. Or when it does good things and I remember I can't have it (without paying an arm and a leg).

Okay so that's pretty much everything shut up.

A lack of obstacles isn't the problem, it's the level design. It's straight lines in 3D with no variation.

EDIT: You can probably tell by my avatar and sig that I'm still very excited for this game. I just wish the deign of M.Green Hill was better. It's got zero substance.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

A lack of obstacles isn't the problem, it's the level design. It's straight lines in 3D with no variation.
Obstacles, or the lack thereof, are part of the level design.

Only when it does stupid things. Or when it does good things and I remember I can't have it (without paying an arm and a leg).

Okay so that's pretty much everything shut up.

Perhaps you should change your sig?

"I'm tired of being angry about Sonic. Except about Sonic Generations."

I kid, I kid. But back on topic, again, I don't think there was much variation in the C.Sonic level either. I think both levels look fun, but I think the complaints can be spread both ways on this occasion.

So, I sent Ruby Eclipse a message which sums up everyone's complaints so at least know that he knows. He doesn't seem to come here at all (at least as far as I know), so I sent your complaints in.

Cool, I hope that he sent the message to Sonic Team so they can fix that. :)

Obstacles, or the lack thereof, are part of the level design.

You know what I mean. I'd generally refer to "layout" as the objects and whatnot. But that doesn't matter. What I'm saying is, adding spikes and enemies in can only do so much for a level that's as narrow and straight as this. It needs wider paths and variation. Somewhere where you're not just literally hoping boost the whole time. I'm fine with levels like WI where you never have to let go of boost, but at least that's not ALL you're doing.

Edited by Blue Blood

Cool, I hope that he sent the message to Sonic Team so they can fix that. :)

No response yet, but I'm sure he will do it when he reads it.

I mean the Classic Gameplay is evidence of that, and we all know that Retro gave him a number of complaints about Sonic 4. Most of these complaints seem to have been addressed in Generations.

Look, yeah, I'd be disappointed if the whole modern Sonic side was this linear, but honestly I doubt it will be. This level was short, like a tutorial level. Later modern levels will have to be longer. Do you really think they want to create 5 minutes worth of pure boost as the game goes on? I'm expecting this to get more and more platform-y as the game goes on.
Maybe, but the way it's looking now, it won't be as good as Unleashed, which I felt had plenty of problems itself. We're going backwards, here.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Considering what the Boost is, I don't understand why this would be an issue. It inherently creates forward momentum-- like the Spin Dash-- so why would it be imperative to make the player have to hold the forward direction as well in order to progress?

Well don't you have to press a direction after loading up the Spindash, to get better momentum? And if anything it isn't very comparable.

Anyway it it would just be better, to make it less automated and less like, litterally, controlling Sonic like a race car. Especially in the 2d sections, it's just odd to see Sonic running on his own without any directional Input.

Edited by ChikaBoing