Awoo.

SUPAH MAREO THREE DEE ESS

HunterTSF

That assumption will more than likely be the case. Since back before Galaxy 2 was released I recall it being stated that the little wood people from the Tall Trunk Galaxy were meant to be a part of that game's story. :P

Really, when they say "telling story through the environment" I doubt it'll go any further than an implied "Bowser's troops are messing up the place, go kick their heads in". It's a pity too, it would actually be kinda neat to see a little bit more story in Mario games (I'd also wanna see Mario have a few pieces of dialogue here and there, but by now I get the impression that Nintendo would rather let the series die than have that happen :V).

Even though I admit Galaxy 2 had the more creative level designs than Galaxy 1, I prefer the original because it actually attempted something a bit more then save Peach with it's story. The little opening, ending, and Rosalina's story really added some charm IMO. Galaxy 2 was great but the opening/ending sucked and felt really cheap when compared to the first game.

--but by now I get the impression that Nintendo would rather let the series die than have that happen :V).

As if that's seriously ever going to happen? Haha!

Even though I admit Galaxy 2 had the more creative level designs than Galaxy 1, I prefer the original because it actually attempted something a bit more then save Peach with it's story. The little opening, ending, and Rosalina's story really added some charm IMO. Galaxy 2 was great but the opening/ending sucked and felt really cheap when compared to the first game.

I felt this way too (aside from preferring the first overall - I love both games equally).

Mario Galaxy 2 was like having a super fun outdoor BBQ with your friends on a summer's day.

Mario Galaxy 1 was like hanging with close friends while watching fireworks at night in the autumn.

Both are amazingly fun but one is far more magical and enchanting.

This game... looks like it'll be a nice picnic at the park in spring. Lol.

Edited by JezMM

I have to disagree. On a pure gameplay standpoint, Mario Galaxy 2 far outshines Mario Galaxy. In a platformer, gameplay is the most important part of the package.

I find them equal. Galaxy 1 has a lame second quest and some repetition, but the atmosphere makes up for it. Galaxy 2 has a more casual atmosphere and lamer story, but the originality of the levels and good second quest make up for it.

I have to disagree. On a pure gameplay standpoint, Mario Galaxy 2 far outshines Mario Galaxy. In a platformer, gameplay is the most important part of the package.

Yes, that is true.

However, why not have a game with both good gameplay and a good story, even if its optional like Rosalina's backstory. Something is better than nothing.

Galaxy 1 felt richer and more alive. Galaxy 2 just felt like an technical exercise to demostrate the level designers' skills. Its dissappointing to say the least.

I still don't see why Mario even needs a story, because the main aspect of the game has always been the strange worlds and platforming action. You don't really NEED to explain why the world is the way it is, and it kind of ruins the charm if you do. I'm perfectly fine with SM3D not having any story, and Super Mario Galaxy 2 was just as surreal as SMG 2. The only thing it lacked was a picture book explaining a character's origin.

I still don't see why Mario even needs a story, because the main aspect of the game has always been the strange worlds and platforming action. You don't really NEED to explain why the world is the way it is, and it kind of ruins the charm if you do. I'm perfectly fine with SM3D not having any story, and Super Mario Galaxy 2 was just as surreal as SMG 2. The only thing it lacked was a picture book explaining a character's origin.

Its not whether or not it needs a story. Truth be told, most excellent games don't need a good story. Portal 1 and 2 didn't need their respectively excellent stories to be considered good games, because they were well-executed puzzlers, with addictive challenges. However, would people love Portal 1 and 2 as much as they do, if Glados wasn't there. Would they like the games as much as they do if the dark humour wasn't there. Probably not. It would have been a good game, just not as memorable as it is.

Yes, Mario doesn't need to have a good story, but it would definately make it better. Saying "Mario doesn't need a story" is a cop-out in the same sense that "Sonic doesn't need a story" is a cop-out. Yes the way the universe works and the juxtaposition of "lands" and "galaxies" doesn't need to be explained, but the characters could still be more developed, and there could still be a semblance of a plot going on. Right now Mario is repeatedly subjected to the same old "Bowser stole princess. Go save!" Why can't Bowser do something different without directly kidnapping the Pricess for the billionth time? Why can't he have different motivations?

The charm of Mario has nothing to do with the lack of plot. Its the character of the game and the levels. Adding a story and some character development, won't take that away. The games will still be good. And even if the story is bad, nobody will care, because "hurr durr Mario don't need a story" and everyone will simply ignore it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here is the E3 Demo in it's entirety:

Most people forget that there is a run button like in the 2d games.

I agree with Jezmm about the Atmosphere of the Galaxies. The Soundtrack I thought was also alot better than in the first games to me.

Edited by ChikaBoing
  • Thumbs Up 4

Scar:

You know, it kind of falls apart when you mention Sonic. Despite the fact that Eggman does something different every time, it's always for the same exact reason: To take over the world. Doesn't Bowser come up with different ways to kidnap the princess in every game since Super Mario Brothers 3? As for "if the story is bad" part...HERPADERP SONIC. Correct me if I'm wrong, but people spent an entire decade bitching about Sonic and its terrible stories, so no...people won't ignore it if the game has a godawful story for that very reason.

"Why does it have this terrible story? Mario doesn't need a story. Get that crap out of the next game!"

Leave the storytelling to The Legend of Zelda series and Mario RPGs. The main Mario series still manages to be the most well received series of all time by sticking to the old days of gaming, maybe for that very reason. It doesn't bring in unnecessary elements.

Edited by Hero Of Fate

I hope the Wii U Mario game is more like original like Sunshine and Galaxy again. I bet it will be Open World at least, since people have been asking for more exploration-based games after the Galaxies.

It depends on whether Koizumi manages to perfect making a truly 3D "2D" Mario game, like he seems to want to do with this title. The Galaxy titles were on there way to that, and if this does it he'll probably experiment with the next title in order to see what other experiences the team can create.

Edited by Hero Of Fate

Scar:

You know, it kind of falls apart when you mention Sonic. Despite the fact that Eggman does something different every time, it's always for the same exact reason: To take over the world. Doesn't Bowser come up with different ways to kidnap the princess in every game since Super Mario Brothers 3? As for "if the story is bad" part...HERPADERP SONIC. Correct me if I'm wrong, but people spent an entire decade bitching about Sonic and its terrible stories, so no...people won't ignore it if the game has a godawful story for that very reason.

"Why does it have this terrible story? Mario doesn't need a story. Get that crap out of the next game!"

Leave the storytelling to The Legend of Zelda series and Mario RPGs.

People bitched about everything in Sonic games because of the state of franchise.

And the story doesn't need to be obtrusive and in your face. Skippable cutscenes or heck, no in game voice-acting at all, just text bubbles like it is now. Just give Mario something to say. Make him emote when these dialogue boxes appear, instead of staring at the other person like a moron. Something to make Mario a character.

Heck, the Paper Mario games have exceedingly good stories. Why restrict decent story telling to those spinoffs? Its not like Nintendo are horrifyingly poor at writing stories.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mario doesn't talk in Paper Mario, though. So why does he need to talk again? The fact that he emotes so well without speaking a single word sort of says a lot about the character.

Edited by Hero Of Fate

Mario doesn't talk in Paper Mario, though. So why does he need to talk again? The fact that he emotes so well without speaking a single word sort of says a lot about the character.

I'm not saying he has to. In Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, though, he didn't even emote beyond the usual star celebration. He just stood there and stared blankly at the person who was talking to him. Perhaps having a more involving plot with more characters in them may provide more of a reason for Mario to emote, but still. I don't understand why is the least expressive, in his biggest budget games.

I don't see why Paper Mario style plots can't be inserted into a main-series Mario Platformer. It seriously can't be that hard...

Again, just because he doesn't need a story, doesn't mean he can't have a good one.

In fact he deserves a good plot to round off the phenominal gameplay experiences Mario games have become. A good story to supplement that, can only make things better. Nintendo have proven themselves to be capable story-tellers, so there are no excuses.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 1

Maybe I'm the only one who thinks story doesn't add anything to a game anymore, unless it's a genre specifically meant for such a thing.

Maybe I'm the only one who thinks story doesn't add anything to a game anymore, unless it's a genre specifically meant for such a thing.

I don't know, but I for one certainly disagree. Story isn't only relevant for a particular genre of games.

The First-person platform/puzzler genre most certainly didn't need a story, but it didn't stop Valve from giving Portal a pretty damn good story anyway.

A good story can really get the player involved in the world that the game designer has created. Games aren't only about the gameplay, but also the immersion. Games themselves are a form of escapism, much like books and movies, and a good story can pull you right in.

Mario games are no exception; if a Mario game can have a good story, which pulls you in and compells you to complete the game for the sake of the story, and not just the already near-perfect gameplay, then you would have the perfect Mario experience.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 1

That's the thing. Why does escapism have to have a purpose? Not everyone wants to be told a story when they want to get away from the story of everyday life.

That's the thing. Why does escapism have to have a purpose? Not everyone wants to be told a story when they want to get away from the story of everyday life.

I personally find a good story does exactly that, whereas meaningless levels come off as busywork for my hands and mind while I still continue to think about what's happening in my life (an effect I tend to get from games I've completely many times too).

Super Mario Galaxy 2 was just as surreal as SMG 2. The only thing it lacked was a picture book explaining a character's origin.

Hardly.

Sorry but there's a world of difference between this and

in terms of atmosphere and magicalness.

I think the 2D games can get away with not having a complicated plot (but even then, Mario 3 managed to have a different premise and even a plot twist), but I think atmosphere goes a long way.

Now I won't lie. I defended New Super Mario Bros. Wii when it used the same style as NSMB DS because it was a direct sequel, but even I'M craving some innovation with the atmosphere in the Mario series now. Even though this is fresh in terms of gameplay direction, it didn't wow me at all by watching it like the Galaxy games did. I've never said this before, hell, I never even said it about Galaxy 2. But this game looks like just "another" Mario game.

whisky-cheesecake.jpg

Mario games are always garunteed to be awesome through gameplay and I'm super excited about every new game...

cheesecake-cheesecake-296643_600_478.jpg

...But what reason is there to not go the extra mile?

I mean gosh I'm not asking for Braid or anything, just something on par with Galaxy 1. They spoiled us with heart and atmosphere in that game and damnit I want it back.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 6

Plot is something I can live without, but if TTYD quality of writing and atmosphere can find its way into other games (I haven't played Galaxy), I wouldn't complain.

Hmmmm from watching the Demo I can tell the general flow of the 2D style is slowed down considerably for the sake off "being able to jump on enemies" and other things. Its way too blockish in environment with a much less emphasis on atmosphere. Big step down from recent titles...New Super Mario bros Wii/DS was more interesting than this.

I don't like that. Not if they are trying to catch the spirit of the old games...sorry to be a spoil sport, but the game seems very shallow simply for the sake of being in 3D while incorporating old elements. What I do like about Galaxy Games despite the fact that they kinda bore me after playing for too long is the quick flowing feeling that the game has manged to pull off in large scale 3D. Its like....something like Daytime Stages for me, wasn't all the way Classic Sonic , but enough homages to its retro games to be Sonic.

Mario 3DS is going to be the Sonic 4 of Mario games too a much less extreme situation...Calling it now.

Edited by Voyant

I HATE STRAWBERRIES ON MY CAKE, JEZ. YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID.

Ok, seriously now. We're just going to have to agree to disagree, because this shit seems to happen every time a Mario game is announced.

I just want one really cool cutscene for each Mario game. I don't want story to bog the whole thing down like the Sonic Adventure games.

In Sunshine we got the scene where Shadow Mario summons the Bowser Robot, rebeals himself to be Bowser Jr. And takes off to the volcano. Not that great looking back at it, but at the time, it was the most cinematic thing I have ever seen, and if im not mistaken, the first time we actually witnessed the kidnapping of Peach in a mainstream Mario.

In Galaxy we got Bowser's air ship fleet showing up and firing on the Mushroom Kingdom while making off with the castle itself. That had to be the coolest scene I have ever seen in any Mario game.

Galaxy 2 really didn't have anything that great. We just sort of turn the corner and "ohp. Giant Bowser" ...you don't even stop until you reach him. Little exchange of dialogue, and the game begins ( though I admit that the bit about the giant Cake made me smile. ) After Sunshine and Galaxy, I could see why people would be dissapointed. Though apparently people were dissapointed by the lack of Rosalina's storybook-ish stuff in Galaxy 2. That one I don't understand but to be fair I barely remember how it went, so maybe I just didn't get it's greatness.

If you ask me the story should be kept like this.

2D Mario: Extremely short opening with no dialogue and Short silly ending.

3D Mario: Medium Length opening and ending that actually show quite a bit of effort like Galaxy 1.

RPG Mario: Story. Story everywhere.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 5 weeks later...