Awoo.

SUPAH MAREO THREE DEE ESS

HunterTSF

I hope we see an explorable hub again like Peach's castle or Delfino Plaza. But preferrably with the gorgeous aesthetics of the Comet Observatory AND fun lively style of the Faceship.

At this point, I couldn't care less about explorable hub worlds. Delfino Plaza was nice and all, but the castle was pretty useless. What really matters is that the game fits Miyamoto's words. A game with the straightforward platforming challenges of Galaxy and open-ended stages like the ones from 64.

I hope we see an explorable hub again like Peach's castle or Delfino Plaza. But preferrably with the gorgeous aesthetics of the Comet Observatory AND fun lively style of the Faceship.

Agreed. If the elements that Jez mentioned were combined for this new game, it would be a big strength due to great visuals while being given the opportunity to explore a more open environment.

• 2 weeks later...

"Shigeru Miyamoto mentioned that Super Mario 3D for 3DS will support the Gyroscope sensor and camera. The Gyro control will compensate the lack of a second analog stick. There will be no street-pass function in the game." ~ Magicbox (May 6, 2011)

Not sure if I like that. Why not just use the D-pad for the camera or do it like Portable Ops(I think) where you have to hold a L and then move the analog stick to move the camera. Though as longs I can use L to center it and I can turn the Gyroscope stuff off, I'm good.

Using the gyroscope slightly defeats the 3D, does it not? Eesh...

• Thumbs Up 1

It's a neat concept to use the gyroscope for the camera, but I'm not sure how well it will work. Knowing it's Nintendo, I doubt it'll be bad and/or tedious to use.

Awww man no Streetpass? 8C

This was a stretch but I had this cool idea in my head of them adapting that user-friendly level editor they made for Mario Galaxy 2 down to the small screen (in Iwata asks, they mention they created a tool that would allow anyone on the team to contribute simple level ideas - the sand slide with rolling enemies in Slipsand Galaxy was a mentioned example of a planet designed by someone totally unrelated to level design using this tool).

Basically you could use the convenience of stylus control to create your own levels, and then it'd automatically transfer your "favourite level" to other 3DS' with Mario via Streetpass (or manually via regular wireless/Nintendo wi-fi connection).

I guess the inclusion of an editor is still possible, but the whole idea seemed super cooler with streetpass.

Interested to see how it'll use the camera. I can dig Mario playing through a spherical 2D stage around my room, faceraiders style. 8D

Edited by JezMM

• 5 weeks later...

Permanent fire flowers and other power ups.

The world is a better place once more. Thank you so much Nintendo.

Y'know in a certain sense, this may be the first proper 3D Mario. 64, as good as it was, established a very different sort of setup for the 3D Mario games compared to the 2D ones, but this looks a lot like a more straightforward SMB3/SMW/NSMB sort of thing, but in actual 3D space.

And once again Mario is great about returning elements. The tanooki/raccoon suit, Boom Boom, those random powerup blocks from SMW...all mixed into new yet comfortably familiar worlds.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 4 weeks later...

Super Mario 3DS to feature more familiar suits

Mario's wardrobe will be stocked with famous outfits in the new Super Mario 3DS game. While the Tanooki Suit was revealed at E3, Super Mario director Yoshiaki Koizumi has told Official Nintendo Magazine that the game will feature even more familiar suits.

"I can't reveal the actual number of power-ups in the game right now, but suffice to say that we do try to include enough so that people can enjoy a variety of different kinds of play experiences in the title," Koizumi told ONM.

"Also, I should point out that we don't necessarily decide on what number of famous Mario suits will appear in the game and proceed from there - we try to find interesting gameplay ideas and then try to settle on what to do in different places."

He added: "But I can say that we will definitely have some more familiar suits than just the Tanooki Suit."

Penguin Suit Plz XD but I can't wait to see what other suits will be in the game :)

Edited by SHADDiX LeTO CRoFT

Fuck the Penguin suit. Where's my goddamn Hammer Suit?

I sort of wish the Wing Cap or Cape made a reappearance but the way the game is set up I don't see that happening. The game seems like it's New Super Mario Bros' setup and design run through Galaxy's visual direction than anything else and I can't see how putting those abilities in a linear environment like this would work, which is a damn shame cause ever since Super Mario 64's flying I've been yearning for full free flying again in a Mario game. Galaxy completely wasted that potential and gave you that shitty star that only worked in the hub world.

Needz sum Spring Mario. 68448_1308500108_trollface.png

Okay, in all seriousness, I'm very happy with the inclusion of the Tanooki Suit. It's was one of my all time favorites in Super Mario Bros 3. :) Now I hope they reach out to some other power-ups and make some new ones as well. I would say that I want a flying item to return, but the Tanooki Suit SHOULD cover that. However from what little I saw of it, it doesn't seem like they kept it's flying ability. Only allowing Mario to gently float down. If so, I hope some sort of flying item return, but with more purpose then just a HUB world tool.

The power-ups that I want. (I'm not expecting all of these to be in there, but I'd be appreciative if it happens.)

The Hammer Suit. The aim took getting use to, but I became a beast with this weapon overtime. Also I was able to make the Hammer bros. my little bitches with this weapon.

A Flying suit. Doesn't matter which one. Flying Mario... P-Wing... Cape Mario... The Wing Hat... Something completely new? I just want to fly and find awesome secret stuff.

Ice Flower. I thought Ice Mario completely OWN3D the Penguin suit in terms of ice gameplay. Sure he couldn't shoot snowball, but I loved how the skating controls were used. :P Just moving as Ice Mario was rewarding enough!

A Veil suit. Like the flying suits, it can be the Boo Mushroom, the Vanishing cap or something new. If it's an item that makes me intangible in interesting ways, sign me up!

Cloud flower. Being Cloud Mario was one of my favorite parts of Mario Galaxy 2. Not only was he more floaty, but he was able to make his platforms. In the right moments, like that final Boss fight with Bowser Jr., this power made moments much more epic. Not to mention it saved my ass from the occasional screw up. :V

The MUTHAFUCKING Metal Cap... One of my favorite Mario power-ups of all time! Even though it may not have much of a shot with Rainbow Mario returning, I hope that it will still have a shot by using some of it's other attributes. Not only the ability resist anything, sans long drops, but the ability to walk underwater normally, or wind resistance. Heck, it would also be could if they made him resistance to slipping on ice or something. And I'll admit it. Being Metal Mario has a since of badassery that I enjoyed.

Yoshi. Because Yoshi. As a character and/or power up. Yoshi is Yoshi and I can NEVER get enough!

Edited by Yoshi the Unity

It's too bad we couldn't see more of the outlandish characters found in Super Mario Land 1 and 2 since this is obviously a purely Miyamoto developed thing, and he hates using what he didn't create. I'm not asking for a return for Tatanga, Daisy, and Wario to the mainstream games ( as cool as that would be ) But the Mario Land games had some really cool stuff we have yet to see again, mainly the enemies, like the exploding koopas and the chinese jumping zombie guys. Handheld Mario really was in a different world from the consoles. Not that I'm saying this game won't be fantastic by any measure of the word. Hell it looks like it's better than both Galaxy games so far.

FUCK YES.

OH FUCK YES.

OH FUCKING FUCK IN A FUCKING FUCK BASKET FILLED WITH FUCKS ALL YELLING FUCK YES.

This will be the greatest game. As long as if there is the Fire Flower, it's not timed. Or if there is a Tanooki/Leaf powerup. Which also isn't timed.

Oh fuck it, it's got tiny Mario how could they fuck this up at all.

Yes there is fire Mario. In a e3 demo I saw gameplay of it

Yes there is fire Mario. In a e3 demo I saw gameplay of it

that post was so long ago

as in, before E3

Picked up the new ONM. Here's their cover and large preview of Super Mario.

30i9end.jpg

29fvuy0.jpg

166elxx.jpg

zx4t2x.jpg

2yyd2sm.jpg

2ee91g1.jpg

33djxb8.jpg

2ltls41.jpg

311uhiw.jpg

If anyone wants to archive it, it's Official Nintendo Magazine Issue 71 August 2011.

• Thumbs Up 7

a deep story

Super Mario Galaxy

Pf.

Not that I was expecting (or really wanting) much, what with Paper Mario 3DS on the way and stuff. Still, I can't help but find that sort of funny.

Anyway, the game looks good. Not groundbreaking or anything, but that's clearly not the intention, and even the minor stuff like Small Mario and the Koopalings in 3D should make this interesting. I do concur with Lando, though; I really wish we could see some of the weird Mario Land stuff make a return, and this would be the perfect place for that to happen. Alas.

Mario in that new Tanooki render looks like Ned from that "Nothing at all" scene in the Simpsons.

Edited by speedfreak
  • Thumbs Up 2

I enjoy this kind of Mario games, this one takes a lot of elements from SMB3, but I also liked the atmosphere in Galaxy. I wish they used both styles in alternation, the philosophy of simple games is cool and all but makes Super Mario just a random game.

I wonder if they will keep that element of Mario getting a tan when he gets the Fire Flower power-up?

I do have to say, Galaxy was pretty out there with regards to Mario stories and it still wasn't much at all. The way he talks about this I find it hard to believe we'll even have an intro or ending as long as New Super Mario Bros. DS, lol. Not that I was ever expecting a proper story in this one, but still.

Telling the story with the envioronment he says though? Strong words, I somehow doubt we'll be seeing any kind of deep envioronmental storytelling about the world like in the games infamous for using it, Half-Life 2, BioShock, Left 4 Dead 2 etc...

My assumption is that he means more "you, playing as Mario, ARE the story!" As in, there is no story - just game, lol.