Awoo.

SUPAH MAREO THREE DEE ESS

HunterTSF

Two things I found out about, One I like how they brought back the super jump from Mario 2, and a cool thing to do is when you're near those dandelions, or when you see some on the screen, blow into the mic, and they'll all scatter around.

Useless but a nice little feature none the less.

It's the little things, isn't it?

• 4 months later...

Oh god, finding this topic using the search engine was hell

But let's not overshadow Luigi's (almost dead) topic with a Mario game, so BUMP

...Weeeeell I wanted to avoid staying off topic but what the hey there's nothing new to discuss LM2-wise anyway.

The 30-second time limits where you have to defeat enemies are not just straight forward speedruns. I've tried to play them as such and there just isn't enough time. There's a certain level of satisfaction to finding the perfect route each stage while straying from the path as little as possible for enemies and working out which ones can be incorporated into the fastest route.

I noticed that, but thing is they're really pointless challenges. I tried to walk through some of them (not use run button) and they always give you enough enemies where you'll still make it, even at 2 or 3 seconds left. Not all stages, but alot of them.

The Mario clone also isn't as simple as just going as fast as possible, as they often re-arrange the levels in ways that in normal circumstances, would be fine, but in the circumstance of not being able to stand still or move back immediately the way you came, result in a fair bit of having to constantly think on your feet. With the giant clones even moreso, where you must cleverly lead them to destroy obstacles for you.

But that's the thing, they never re-arranged the levels to say block off one path and force you to use another. It's the same level, only sometimes you can't stop.

I did like the giant clones, but they were only used in what 2 levels?

For the record by my count as well, a bit under half of the stages are clock/clone affairs).

Also have to say difficulty is subjective I'm afraid. Sorry you found them not hard at all but many levels took me a good 5-10 lives to beat, and I'm a fairly seasoned 3D Mario player (no super guide cropped up on my initial playthrough).

Difficulty is never that challenging in Mario games. Not too easy, but never too hard. However for me, the difficulty here was almost non-existent. Like I said before, only the final level and Final boss gave me trouble. Everything else was a breeze.

I'm also pretty sure it's completely possible to get every gold flag as Mario without the Tanooki Suit. I've got the vast majority of them.

On some levels, it's impossible because you're given a small amount of space. So you have no momentum to jump over to the top. Luigi is always easy because he jumps higher, but with Mario....

Considering 3D levels are a lot more difficult to construct than 2D ones, they really had to make each one count, and frankly I think 53* tightly designed levels, every single one distinguishable from the others, not just in aesthetics but gimmicks and gameplay, is not half-assed at all.

(*More or less, including the final secret level and the 4 (I think) 100% original Special World levels).

Not every one,

and there's original SW levels? Excluding the obvious final one

And then there's the streetpass bonuses, 10-second mini cube levels (which I'm still getting occasional new ones of months after launch), optional medal puzzles, ridiculous amount of secrets, crazy shortcuts and speedrunning potential (seriously watch some of the hint videos on the eShop sometime), streetpass time record sharing (I dedicated a whole replay session once to just beating the times I'd collected, and I'm looking forward to doing it again after Summer of Sonic has rolled round and I've probably collected a ton more that are better than mine), and yes, even a whole set of challenging re-arrangements of those brilliant level designs.

The streetpass bonuses never come to me as useful. Especially when I can easily spend 30 secs on a level to grab the powerups I need.

This game doesn't have that many secrets, or shortcuts for that matter.

There's a streetpass time record? Didn't notice.

And I'm confused by the part I bolded, what do you mean by that statement?

The only parts of the game I'd call half-assed is perhaps the boss battles, but even those aren't repeated verbatim. And honestly the fact that the Bowser battles, and several of the final stages in the Special Worlds, are just extra intense platforming sections anyway shows that just pure 3D platforming was the point of the game.

Oh god, I'm about to defend this game when I've been trying to point out it's flaws.

The boss battles were actually okay. They've re-used the same bosses before in tons of Mario games (2,3,World, 64,Galaxy) so I'm okay with that. Plus I liked the things they added to the Boom-Boom bosses, (spikes, falling platforms, fighting both at once) and the last Bowser boss was quite fun and challenging.

Keep in mind, I don't hate this game, no not at all. As a 3D Platformer, it gets the job done and I like that. I just think that for a 3D Mario game, it felt rushed, and some parts in the game was lazy.

Just because I call it the worst 3D Mario game doesn't mean it's bad, no it's a must have 3DS game. I just think it pales in comparision to the other Mario games.

Edited by Nintendoga

Oh god, finding this topic using the search engine was hell

But let's not overshadow Luigi's (almost dead) topic with a Mario game, so BUMP

Edited by JezMM

Fair enough, you love Mario 3D Land, I like Mario 3D Land.

I spent like half an hour on that post for THIS!? >8U

Just kidding lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

This is probably gonna be the last bump this topic gets, unless DLC or Super Mario 3D Land is announced.

http://www.modojo.com/features/super_mario_3d_land_interview_tanooki_suit_beat_cape_mario/

Here's an interview from 3 months back with game director Koichi Hayashida. Very interesting and talks about a possible sequel, early power-ups, and other things.

The interview questions are in bold + underline, the answers are regular.

Do you see this as a possible series? Could there be a Super Mario 3D Land 2?

Well I guess I have to turn around and ask, is that something you'd like to see?

Oh yes.

Would you consider adding downloadable content to the game? How easy is it to create new levels?

It's not something we had initially thought about. Thinking about it now, there would be some challenges, but if there was a really good opportunity to use the stereoscopic effect to create some interesting new elements to introduce to the game, I suppose it's a possibility. Of course, it's our job to constantly think of possibilities like that.

It seems that if they get alot of good reception (which they did), then they might turn this into a series ala NSMB. Also they're not saying they're working on DLC, but they're not objective towards the idea.

How many people worked on Super Mario 3D Land?

I guess if you look at the staff credits for the game, including the localization teams at NOA and NOE, it would come out to about 100 total?

How long was it in development for?

Just about two years.

What do you think of Mario becoming a yearly franchise like Call of Duty?

Well, the way we approach the Mario series is through evolving hardware. Every time we have a new piece of hardware, we look at it and say, what can we do with this? What sort of gameplay experiences can we create? Then we take that and try and match it to the world of Mario, the kind of expressions you would find in Mario games.

For example, I think of Super Mario World as the blending of the Super Famicom technology with Mario. With Super Mario 64, what was unique about the N64 hardware capabilities plus the world of Mario? In the same way, Super Mario 3D Land takes the unique elements of the Nintendo 3DS and uses them to create an experience that is both unique and familiar to people who enjoy the Mario universe.

If we were going to come out with a Mario game every single year, the only way we could really do this is if we also came out with new hardware every single year, which starts to get a little difficult to imagine.

100 people worked on this for two years? Surprised me as some parts of the game seemed a bit rushed. Though the comment about them coming out with a Mario game each year only if there was new hardware is funny, but also interesting.

DS=NSMB

Wii= Galaxy 1+2 (This is exceptional since they were both kinda meant to be apart of the same game. 2 was even called Galaxy 1.5 and More Super Mario Galaxy at one point.)

Wii= NSMB Wii. which is the series only main 2D Mario on the system.

Where am I going with this? NSMB 2 and NSMB U may be the only 2D Mario games on both systems, along with 3D Land being the only 3D one for the 3DS. (though again this is if they don't decide to do a sequel that builds upon the first like the Galaxies) This is based on speculation, and if true means we wouldn't see another NSMB game till next gen. Yay? Going off topic so back to the interview!

What about the possibility of a Super Mario Bros. level editor? Would it do more harm than good to the franchise to give users that sort of power?

I guess one way to respond to that is to give you a slightly different example. You may know that Excitebike has a level editor, and that's something Mr. Miyamoto has worked on, so we're certainly not opposed to the concept of introducing a level editor, but in my mind, it's not really about the users having power or hurting the way the franchise is viewed, but rather, whether we can see the possibility to create a really unique and fun experience with that level editor. It's not something we've explored in any detail yet with the Mario universe, but as with everything, if we sense a good idea and a good possibility, it's certainly something we'd pursue.

Were the Special Worlds part of the game from the beginning?

Our first thought was that we'd follow the structure that we've come to think of as traditional for 3D Mario games, where each course would have multiple scenarios, each with a different star at the end, so you have a different objective to play through. That system started in Super Mario 64, where you had more stars than stages.

What we were considering as a layout for Super Mario 3D Land was 32 stages with three objectives each, but we ended up with a lot more concepts for unique stages than just 32, so we eventually had a 48 times two layout. Even then, 48 wasn't enough, so I think the total number of stages is a little over 60 plus.

Beginners could get through the game and see the normal ending, but we still wanted to offer them some kind of surprise.

Woah, so they're not opposed to the idea of a level editor? Thought Miyamoto didn't want one but this makes me excited of the possibility of one in a future Mario game.

And this game was going to be like 64 and Sunshine? Fucking awesome! I love the 3D exploration titles, and seeing another original one would've made me so much more happy! Maybe next time....

Super Mario 3D Land had excellent 3D effects. Other 3DS games, not so much. Why do you think developers struggle taking full advantage of this capability? Some of these games take a toll on a person's eyes.

The development of Super Mario 3D Land really started with Mr. Miyamoto posing a scenario and challenge to us, which was his observation that it was very easy to see the position of a block in 3D space when you're using a stereoscopic effect. He wanted to see what we could develop from that concept. So, if there are best ways to use the stereoscopic effect, like resolving the exact position of a block floating in space, then there are also some places where using the stereoscopic effect will not be to your advantage, or offer certain demerits.

One of these demerits might be the stereo window violation, which is something you would see in older 3D movies, where something pops so far out of the screen that it looks a little unnatural in reference to the plane that you're trying to view and judge it in. That was something we had to be very careful about avoiding with very deliberate camera positions and careful stage design so that nothing would pop out. Most importantly, that nothing would come between Mario and the camera.

If you found the experience to be comfortable, then I guess that means we did a good job.

What would you like to see make it into a sequel?

Well, maybe one way for me to respond to that question is to talk about how we developed Super Mario Galaxy 2, the second of two games on the same hardware. We often rely on new hardware innovation to push us to new places when developing Mario games, trying to find a unique match with the hardware's capability with the familiar but fun Mario gameplay experience.

When you're suddenly in the position to make a Super Mario Galaxy 2 on the same hardware, you find yourself in a very different position. It's going to be much more of a struggle to come up with ideas, because this is the exact same way you brainstormed for the first game. Hopefully, you have ideas that didn't make it into that first title, or things you weren't able to do for some other reason.

In the case of Super Mario 3D Land, I felt we got so much of what we wanted to do into the game, that we would start from a difficult position in having to come up with something from the same process.

Having said that, we are always thinking of new possibilities for Mario gameplay experience, whether it's on a portable or console.

3D was well done in the game, I enjoy it.

Was the Tanooki Suit part of the game from the beginning?

Almost all of the 3D Mario games have a jump delay mechanic that allows people to slow their fall a little bit so they can look very carefully where they are going to land. You might remember that Mario 64 didn't have anything like that, but Sunshine introduced the FLUDD jetpack that allowed the player to hover and delay their fall a bit.

In Super Mario Galaxy, you have the spin, which you can do midair during a jump, and Super Mario Galaxy 2 had Yoshi, who has a bit of a flutter kick.

We knew that we needed one of these mechanics in Super Mario 3D Land to balance gameplay. Fairly early in development, Mr. Miyamoto suggested the Tanooki Suit. Now, myself being a fan of Super Mario World, I really wanted to go with Cape Mario, but he shot that down.

That's a shame. Thank you for your time, and we look forward to new Mario adventures in the years ahead.

Wait, the cape was going to be in here? FUCKING MIYAMOTO!!!!!!!! Though then again if they would've dumbed it down like the Tanooki Suit, maybe that's a good thing...

Someday Mario, there will be a 3D game where you can soar the skies with the cape, breaking the game to the extreme! Someday.

Something I want to mention but don't know if this was brought up, but there was an interview where they talked about what early power-ups the game was going to have, but got cut. Among them are

* Skateboard

* A really Tall Mario with long legs (?)

* Fast power-up

I'l try to find the source from where I found this in the meantime.

(And 64 did have something like the others, it was the wing cap. Not as effective but it slowed you down a bit.)

• 4 months later...

I've just dusted off the game, and I had forgotten how fun it was.

I'm especially having fun speedrunning through levels and trying to beat my older scores. It's surprisingly addicting!

...also, sorry for thee bump.

• Thumbs Up 1

Speedrunning is crazy fun. I got a lot of streetpasses a while back and had lots of times to beat.

This is still I think the best 3D Mario. It's very small and unambitious compared to the others but what is there is polished to a shine. And totally the best final boss in a Mario game.

(Though Mario 64 is my fave for nostalgia and Galaxy/Galaxy 2 has 3D Land beat for story/atmosphere etc).

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Best Mario game since Mario 64! In fact, I think that's why I like it so much, because it's so similar smile.png The main thing I enjoyed about this game, is the fact it was easy, really easy in fact. And to me, this is an immediate plus point, as usually if I get to a certain part of a game and get stuck, I tend not to play it again (I lose interest). This one kept me playing. I completed it near 100% which I am proud of, considering I suck at video games ^^ And, if there's any Mario games I would like to see a sequel to, it would be this. 

This game is surprisingly fun, I beat it in like a week. I'm going through the special worlds now.

I'd definitely pay money for this than another "New" game because I feel this is one of the most unique Mario games to date.

• Thumbs Up 2

I've been praying and hoping that, if they ever do make a Super Mario 3D Land 2, it would be a spiritual sequel to SMB2! The semi-overhead camera and 3D would be an awesome way to work in jumping on enemies, picking them up, and throwing them at other enemies! One can hope right?

• Thumbs Up 4

I've been praying and hoping that, if they ever do make a Super Mario 3D Land 2, it would be a spiritual sequel to SMB2! The semi-overhead camera and 3D would be an awesome way to work in jumping on enemies, picking them up, and throwing them at other enemies! One can hope right?

2D or 3D, any spiritual sequel to Mario 2 would be amazing.  8C

Actually for any 360 users there's a neat little indie game called Apple Jack on XBLA which is very reminiscent of Mario 2 (to the point that they even parodied the Mario 2 box art for Apple Jack 2).  Very soothing visuals and music too.

Unfortunately though, as is apparently the Indie Platformer's curse, it's a lot more puzzley and has like a million levels, instead of being straight Mario-esque obstacle courses (you have to beat every enemy to clear a stage instead of reach a goal, even though some levels are set up to be a linear path to a single enemy at the end).