Awoo.

PS Vita

Patticus

It's funny how you guys keep forgetting about E3. They will announce new games for the Vita then guys. -.-;;

Exactly, they're pre-planned events known several days before that focus on the software line-up/features, as specified.

This was neither.

So just because this was live and they didn't explicitly say there will be new games, it means there couldn't have been new game announcements?

The Vita needs exclusives that make people buy the console, so expecting new announcements isn't illogical.

Edited by Thigolf

It's funny how you guys keep forgetting about E3. They will announce new games for the Vita then guys. -.-;;

Vita doesn't need "then". It needs "now", and having E3 be some sort of bastion for announcements is asinine. It's the same shit Nintendo is in right now except on a platform that's been out for over a year and one that it's creators don't even seem to be trying to care about.
  • Thumbs Up 4

Its clear that the purpose of the stream wasn't to discuss new software, just a price-cut. Though, its slightly concerning that Sony isn't making much noise about the likes of Soul Sacrifice, which looks like a rather excellent game and could do wonders for the system. Aside from that they just need to start getting developers to make games for the platform and advertise the thing. Doesn't matter how many games you show off, its pointless if there is nobody to play them. 

In addition, Sony need their own answer to Pokemon (that isn't a blatant rip-off). Some form of handheld RPG that isn't a remake of a FF game, that can capture the interest of many. Get the 1st party on it!

• Thumbs Up 2

It was funny at how people were laughing at how ports were going to be announced. It would be new games, right?

Nope.

Price drop is cool though.

• Thumbs Up 1

The problem with these statements is that what you ask for aren't just new games, a few of which have been announced already since 2013 started (probably moreso than for certain other platforms in fact but I don't care enough to keep track). What you actually ask for are a bunch of super high profile AAA+ spectacular games that sell millions and otherwise they won't even count.

In addition, Sony need their own answer to Pokemon (that isn't a blatant rip-off). Some form of handheld RPG that isn't a remake of a FF game, that can capture the interest of many. Get the 1st party on it!

Other than one or two big established names, JRPGs are fucked nowadays son

it's all about the shootan and the iphones now

i would murder so many puppies for a new dark cloud...

Five more months of being dead on the water is exactly what the Vita needs, yeah.

...and what's the advantage of announcing it early? If they announce an AAA game today for example, will people start buying the Vita today? Most likely no, they won't but they will think about it and when the game is released (or close), that's when they start buying the Vita.

You think announcing a game today will make any difference than announcing the game in E3? Either way, the game is not ready and still in development. And it's better to announce it in E3, especially for us. We don't want another boring Sony conference like we had last year.

Edited by Ming Ming Shana

...and what's the advantage of announcing it early? If they announce an AAA game today for example, will people start buying the Vita today? Most likely no, they won't but they will think about it and when the game is released (or close), that's when they start buying the Vita.

You think announcing a game today will make any difference than announcing the game in E3? Either way, the game is not ready and still in development.

Seriously? I'd think it would be kind of obvious that it would make a difference, since E3 isn't the only place that things are announced. Try to realize for a second that if the system continues to slide into irrelevance it might not even be around for E3; and Sony should probably start taking steps to make sure that doesn't happen rather then just let everyone else sort it out.

By your logic, why have any other games expo (TGS, Gamescon, to a certain extent CES) if E3 is the only thing that matters? Why release any game any farther in the year than July if E3 is all that matters?

And it's better to announce it in E3, especially for us. We don't want another boring Sony conference like we had last year.

That should be so far down the list of "things that matter" that even if you were joking it would be a ridiculous thing to bring up. Who gives a shit if Sony's E3 is boring if they have a bunch of games coming in the pipeline already for the system that they announced earlier in the year to build up hype? E3 is a trade expo. Not a Pay-Per-View event.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 3

You think announcing a game today will make any difference than announcing the game in E3? Either way, the game is not ready and still in development. And it's better to announce it in E3, especially for us. We don't want another boring Sony conference like we had last year.

It's most definitely important for Sony considering the fiscal year is about to end which means investors are going to question what the hell they're doing with the machine, which they actually did just recently if I recall. The fact that the reps had absolutely nothing to say to the constant questions about Vita's situation and kept sidestepping the issue basically proved they really don't have faith in it, and right now would be the best way to save face. A company putting out a product with no clear outlook on the future in sight is the bleakest kind of indicator for something that's supposed to be a big sell.

All eyes on Sony this E3 is going to be on PS4, and even then it never stopped Sony's conferences from being retreads on things they progressively revealed before E3. Furthermore, why is E3 even necessary for announcements of games? Will people start buying the console because a game is necessarily revealed there? Last I checked Nintendo have been doing great on their own with Nintendo Directs, effectively making a ton of people shun the concept of general journalism exclusivity and prioritizing only big reveals for bigger conferences.

• Thumbs Up 9

Sony is letting it languish too long, this isn't even funny anymore. Nintendo waited all of 3 months with the 3DS before dropping the price and announcing heavy hitters, and they took even less time announcing a bunch of high profile projects for Wii U (when it had just started to do terribly after doing well for 2 months).

Seriously? I'd think it would be kind of obvious that it would make a difference, since E3 isn't the only place that things are announced. Try to realize for a second that if the system continues to slide into irrelevance it might not even be around for E3; and Sony should probably start taking steps to make sure that doesn't happen rather then just let everyone else sort it out.

They already started by doing price drops in Japan. And I'm sure the Vita can last until E3.

And that doesn't really answer my question. If the game is announced today, the game wouldn't come out 'til like at least Fall this year. Might as well wait for E3, as I said hardly anyone would buy the Vita instantly if a AAA game is announced. I've already seen this with the 3DS.

By your logic, why have any other games expo (TGS, Gamescon, to a certain extent CES) if E3 is the only thing that matters? Why release any game any farther in the year than July if E3 is all that matters?

No, you misunderstood me. E3 is the next big event. Correct me if I'm wrong but does TGS, Gamescom and CES come after E3? I don't want to wait longer for the game announcements in these expos that's why I didn't mention them.

That should be so far down the list of "things that matter" that even if you were joking it would be a ridiculous thing to bring up. Who gives a shit if Sony's E3 is boring if they have a bunch of games coming in the pipeline already for the system that they announced earlier in the year to build up hype? E3 is a trade expo. Not a Pay-Per-View event.

Pay per view event? What?

Anyway, you may not give a damn, SSMB may not give a damn, but fanboys and people who are E3 fans will give a damn. People who paid a lot of money to enter the E3 expo will give a damn.

Actually, 3DS sales did increase after the release announcements for 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 (coupled with the price drop) and then grew even more once the titles actually released thanks to the holiday season. People can, and will, buy something if they know something good is coming.

Actually, 3DS sales did increase after the release announcements for 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 (coupled with the price drop) and then grew even more once the titles actually released thanks to the holiday season. People can, and will, buy something if they know something good is coming.

Honestly, personally I think the only reason why 3DS sales went up was because of the price cut.

• Thumbs Up 1

They already started by doing price drops in Japan. And I'm sure the Vita can last until E3.

Based on what? The wide variety of high profile games that are coming out for the system? The clear marketing plan that Sony has for the system? How many tens of millions of sales is the Vita down on the 3DS? How many more it will be in June?

It took less than 5 months for the Dreamcast to go from "can't keep them on shelves" to "pull completely out of the market;" and if the Vita continues to do as poorly as it has, especially in Japan where the PSP of all things continues to sell decently, Sony will be forced to drop it to focus on the PS4/PS3.

And that doesn't really answer my question. If the game is announced today, the game wouldn't come out 'til like at least Fall this year. Might as well wait for E3, as I said hardly anyone would buy the Vita instantly if a AAA game is announced. I've already seen this with the 3DS.

The Vita is on sale all year long. The Vita is not only on sale between June and November.

No, you misunderstood me. E3 is the next big event. Correct me if I'm wrong but does TGS, Gamescom and CES come after E3? I don't want to wait longer for the game announcements in these expos that's why I didn't mention them.

You see, you say I misunderstood you, but then you turn around and repeat the same "might as well wait for E3" line that I and Carbo just pointed out was foolish. There's no reason to wait for E3 when the system is doing poorly now and has no titles to look forward to now. There are titles in Sony's portfolio that Sony could get going and hire someone to make that people would buy a Vita right now to play if they were announced regardless of when they came out. So instead of putting those together or commissioning massive third party projects (like they did for the PSP), Sony isn't going to do anything, because even they don't seem to care about the Vita anymore. And no one else is going to commit to a AAA game when the future of the system is that uncertain.

And CES was last month.

Pay per view event? What?

Anyway, you may not give a damn, SSMB may not give a damn, but fanboys and people who are E3 fans will give a damn. People who paid a lot of money to enter the E3 expo will give a damn.

And those people are going to have to learn that E3 isn't a fanboy dick-waving contest, so the last thing Sony should do is make their hardware suffer so they can cater to the people that treat it as one.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 6

Honestly, personally I think the only reason why 3DS sales went up was because of the price cut.

So that's why it's been selling like gangbusters in Japan ever since and has maintained steady numbers otherwise, never mind the fact that OoT3D was released around the same time the price cut happened and bundles were available.

I guess all Vita needs is a few twenty-dollar bills slashed from the price. Which is exactly what happened during last year's Black Friday week with some insane bundles to boot, of course that didn't take off either.

• Thumbs Up 4

Its probably a horribly repeated point, but Sony need to bring the Vita and its games (there are games, its just nobody knows about them) to the attention of the gaming community. If they're not going to do this with their livestream, then they need to do it at their Playstation Event in a couple days, in addition to notifying the world of the PS4.

• Thumbs Up 1

So that's why it's been selling like gangbusters in Japan ever since and has maintained steady numbers otherwise, never mind the fact that OoT3D was released around the same time the price cut happened and bundles were available.

I guess all Vita needs is a few twenty-dollar bills slashed from the price. Which is exactly what happened during last year's Black Friday week with some insane bundles to boot, of course that didn't take off either.

Fun Fact: Vita was slashed down to $179 during Black Friday and it came with the hyped up Assassin's Creed game, All Stars Battle Royale, memory card, and PS+. I almost bought this. I didn't have money at the time so...

Yes announcing games sooner is more important. How are you going to get more developers on board if the developers all know there's no interest in the system? Announce big games -> generate system interest -> generate more third party support.

How are you gonna get third parties on board when no developers think their games will sell on the thing due to lack of interest. It's the same problem the WiiU is current having.

Yes announcing games sooner is more important. How are you going to get more developers on board if the developers all know there's no interest in the system? Announce big games -> generate system interest -> generate more third party support.

How are you gonna get third parties on board when no developers think their games will sell on the thing due to lack of interest. It's the same problem the WiiU is current having.

The problem is that there is lots of third party support for the Vita already, what we also need is some big 1st/2nd party titles.

Edited by Tmsp

I really don't see much support from anyone. The biggest thing I've seen is Persona 4 Golden, and that's an enhanced port of a PS2 game.

I really don't see much support from anyone. The biggest thing I've seen is Persona 4 Golden, and that's an enhanced port of a PS2 game.

Yeah, most are ports but they are quality ports like P4G.

From the top of my head some of the upcoming 3rd party games: God Eater 2, Dead or Alive 5 +, Final Fantasy X HD, Dragon's Crown, Tales of Innocence R, Project Diva F (it will never leave Japan, right?) and Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus.

There are also lots of JRPG's but those will never see light outside of Japan.

From 1st/2nd party we have: Soul Sacrifice, Tearaway and Killzone: Mercenary.

Edited by Tmsp

Wasn't that kind of like OoT for the 3DS? An enhanced port of an N64 game....Yet it still helped boost sales.

Granted now the 3DS has much more going for it, but still the point stands. There are some games, they probably just don't appeal to you. Problem is, Sony isn't doing much to show of the games which have potential.

I keep mentioning Soul Sacrifice, because it looks awesome. Why haven't we heard much more about this game? It could be a catalyst that may get people to take at least SOME interest in the Vita.

To be fair, a lot of people consider Ocarina of Time to be one of the best games of all time, and an enhanced remak3 is just a magnet for money.