Awoo.

PS Vita

Patticus

I only bought a Vita for Gravity Rush and despite it being a fun game it's seriously not all that blown up which it was made out to be.

The console and the game has been sitting on my shelf the past four weeks, only being used when I have nothing better to waste my time on. The game's foundation is good but everything else is lackluster. Once the shock of "Vita finally has a good game" subsides, it's just a run-of-the-mill platformer with great ways to get around. It reminds me of Spider-Man 2 in that regard.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ain't touched the Vita in about a month and I do own Gravity Rush and honestly I was a bit disappointed in it, and still need to beat it. Maybe I just cannot enjoy handheld gaming anymore...

Edited by Silencer

The more I see of the PS Vita, the more I want to buy a 3DS.

The more I see of the 3DS.....the more I dislike it. Seriously, the 3D is a gimmick that isn't utilized properly, it was made with one freaking control PAD and you need to buy that huge, bulky add-on, it's fairly weak, and I just overall am pretty "Meh" about it. The only thing the 3DS has going for it is interesting software and a much broader userbase (kids), though in the end I suppose that's what really matters :V

EDIT: Not trying to sound like a fanboy or anything, I mean I see the Vita's flaws, but those mostly stem from its size and lack of really interesting, stand out software. What they need is a freaking mascot and other recognizable exclusive characters (cough cough crash bandicoot coughcough)

Edited by OneDoesNotSimplySuperJXJ

The more I see of the 3DS.....the more I dislike it. Seriously, the 3D is a gimmick that isn't utilized properly, it was made with one freaking control PAD and you need to buy that huge, bulky add-on, it's fairly weak, and I just overall am pretty "Meh" about it. The only thing the 3DS has going for it is interesting software and a much broader userbase (kids), though in the end I suppose that's what really matters :V

EDIT: Not trying to sound like a fanboy or anything, I mean I see the Vita's flaws, but those mostly stem from its size and lack of really interesting, stand out software. What they need is a freaking mascot and other recognizable exclusive characters (cough cough crash bandicoot coughcough)

Honestly, the Vita has nothing going for it, and I doubt it ever will for me besides the new Little Big Planet game. The 3DS seems to have tons of good games, and even more coming out. The console itself isn't that great, but the games it has certainly are.

• Thumbs Up 2

So for peeps who have the Vita, how you holdin' up? Having fun or do you feel like you regret your decision?

I have too much shit to play at the moment, but my situation is one of a non-PSP owner. I am buying them games on sales and they just keep piling up.

If you have already played everything PSP, you get a lineup that's very varied but limited at the moment (read: lots of genres are covered but with only one or two games worth getting in each). If you didn't have a PSP, oh dear. Say goodbye to your wallet.

Personally I'm not regretting anything, since I know exactly what I do when buying consoles. Vita's been less than half a year in my hands and I've clocked +200h on MHFU alone so I'd say I'm getting my money's worth.

(Say has there been an announcement date for the PS1 Classics on the Vita yet? I know they're coming in the Summer, but it seems strange they haven't announced a date yet)

We do know it's in firmware 1.8, possibly coming in August.

[...]

Oh boy another one of these.

Hardware-wise Vita > 3DS hands down. Literally every single 3DS game would be much better on Vita. Literally.

With regards to software the statement also falls flat on its face for reasons obvious to anyone who's not stupid. Whether you like the lineup or not is an entirely different world, but posting those kind of comments will make you seem like a gamefaqs system wars user, and that's as far as I'm gonna touch this subject.

Let's not go down that road.

• Thumbs Up 2

What good are better graphics with worse games?

The PS Vita so far seems to be following the PSP's footsteps. It's not the lineup. I just can't imagine many more titles other than the Little Big Planet games that will grab my attention. I can't afford both right now, so I'm looking at the pros and cons of both. There's nothing wrong with that.

Sony operate in a fundamentally different way to Nintendo though.

Nintendo generate sales using the tried and tested - new entries in beloved franchises. Sony tends to create a whole lot of new IP's. Even if they're in rougly the same genre as predecessors.

In Sony's case its a problem for consoles like the Vita, which need recognised franchises or just one killer app. Gravity Rush was an interesting one, but thus far it seems to not be the universal killer app the console required to become a huge success.

Edited by Scar

Worse than what, exactly? If it's on both handhelds, the Vita version is better. MG3DS is a putrid, lazily developed pile of shit* whereas MGS HD Vita is a fantastic port of 3 (and includes 2 to boot). Rayman Origins? No contest. There's... zero reason to grab the 3DS version of any upcoming multi-release game if you own both systems.

If it's an exclusive, chances are it's not even comparable, ie: 3DS has no action/adventure TPS Uncharted equivalent, there's no on-rails shooters on Vita that can be likened to Kid Icarus, and so on.

*: Though if you want to lay the full blame on Konami I'm perfectly okay with that.

Sony and Nintendo operate in a fundamentally different way to Nintendo though.

Well, this explains a lot about Nintendo.

Edited by Dobkeratops

Worse than what, exactly? If it's on both handhelds, the Vita version is better. MG3DS is a putrid, lazily developed pile of shit* whereas MGS HD Vita is a fantastic port of 3 (and includes 2 to boot). Rayman Origins? No contest. There's... zero reason to grab the 3DS version of any upcoming multi-release game if you own both systems.

If it's an exclusive, chances are it's not even comparable, ie: 3DS has no action/adventure TPS Uncharted equivalent, there's no on-rails shooters on Vita that can be likened to Kid Icarus, and so on.

*: Though if you want to lay the full blame on Konami I'm perfectly okay with that.

I don't give two shits about multi-platform games that I already own for my home consoles. I'm talking about handheld exclusives. Metal Gear Solid isn't a console exclusive, it's on both systems. And I couldn't care less about a few less details on the 3DS. It has nothing that interests me, and I doubt it ever will. The 3DS has far better games for my tastes.

3DS has no action/adventure? Super Mario 3D Land, New Super Mario Bros 2, Zelda Ocarina of Time, I can go on. They're far better than the knock offs Sony produces.

This is my personal opinion. You can't change that. The PS Vita has nothing besides one series that interests me, whereas the 3DS has tons. I'm not going to get a PS Vita for just one game.

3DS has no action/adventure? Super Mario 3D Land, New Super Mario Bros 2, Zelda Ocarina of Time, I can go on. They're far better than the knock offs Sony produces.

Yeah. Nintendo at least has the decency to rip themselves off, as the examples that are supposedly there to prove your point show.

This is my personal opinion. You can't change that. The PS Vita has nothing besides one series that interests me, whereas the 3DS has tons. I'm not going to get a PS Vita for just one game.

And my personal opinion is that you probably shouldn't walk into a thread, make inflammatory fanboy-esque posts and then complain because people aren't respecting your opinions.

Edited by Gilda
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yeah. Nintendo at least has the decency to rip themselves off, as the examples that are supposedly there to prove your point show.

The first is an original game, the second is a sequel, and the third is a remake. That's not what you call "Nintendo ripping themselves off." He stated there are no decent action/adventure titles on the 3DS, and I just stated that there is. Yes it proves my point perfectly.

And my personal opinion is that you probably shouldn't walk into a thread, make inflammatory fanboy-esque posts and then complain because people aren't respecting your opinions.

You should probably know what you're talking about before making witty replies. I don't have either of the systems yet. I'm I was browsing through this topic and the more PS Vita games I saw posted, the more I wanted a 3DS, which is why I said what I said. This is a Sonic forum, not a Sony forum. These kinds of posts are to be expected.

Edited by -L-

The first is an original game, the second is a sequel, and the third is a remake. That's not what you call "Nintendo ripping themselves off."

So you don't seem to know what the phrase meant when you used it, or else you only think it applies when Sony does it.

He stated there are no decent action/adventure titles on the 3DS, and I just stated that there is. Yes it proves my point perfectly.

I'm pretty sure he said this:

3DS has no action/adventure TPS Uncharted equivalent

So, no. A pair of platformers, one of which isn't even 3D, and a 15-year-old Zelda port do not prove your point whatsoever.

You should probably know what you're talking about before making witty replies.

Oh, my sides.

I don't have either of the systems yet. I'm I was browsing through this topic and the more PS Vita games I saw posted, the more I wanted a 3DS, which is why I said what I said.

You said this:

The more I see of the PS Vita, the more I want to buy a 3DS.

No context given. Just that. Which is pretty much just flame bait, which you seem to have knew because you went on to say when called on it:

Honestly, the Vita has nothing going for it, and I doubt it ever will for me besides the new Little Big Planet game.

And:

It's all well and good that you don't see anything worth purchasing the system for. You would hardly be the first in this thread to think that. But perhaps in the future when you make that known, you might explain why when you say so rather than just making a driveby post just to get a rise out of people.

Edited by Gilda

So, no. A pair of platformers, one of which isn't even 3D, and a 15-year-old Zelda port do not prove your point whatsoever.

Yes, they do. They may not be the equivalent to the Uncharted title to you, but to me they certainly are, and more.

It doesn't matter what they are to you. He was talking about the genre. Unless you consider 2 Mario titles and a Zelda game to be third-person shooters/adventure games. There are no games which are of the same genre as Uncharted on the 3DS.

In fact, I'm pretty sure one could say that the Vita has a larger variety of genres of games than the 3DS. The only difference is, Sony doesn't have the nostalgic griphold over consumers as Nintendo does with its 20+ year old franchises.

Edited by Scar

It doesn't matter what they are to you. He was talking about the genre. Unless you could 2 Mario titles and a Zelda game to be third-person shooters/adventure games. There are no games which are of the same genre as Uncharted on the 3DS.

In fact, I'm pretty sure one could say that the Vita has a larger variety of genres of games than the 3DS. The only difference is, Sony doesn't have the nostalgic griphold over consumers as Nintendo does with its 20+ year old franchises.

The genre? Then I misunderstood. I'm not too familiar with the term 'tps'. I apologize there. But yeah, as far as I know there isn't anything like that on the 3DS.

The PS Vita may have more genres of games, but those games are rather inferior to the ones on the 3DS (Example: Compare Modnation Racers Roadtrip to Super Mario Kart 7).

In this case it's quality > quantity.

Unless the Vita pulls out another series that grabs my attention (Besides Little Big Planet), I'll most likely be getting the 3DS.

Edited by -L-

The Vita may have more genres of games, but those games are rather inferior to the ones on the 3DS (Example: Compare Modnation Racers Roadtrip to Super Mario Kart 7)

....Not the greatest example really. I no longer consider MK to be the gold-standard for kart racers and Modnation Racers is certainly a solid enough game. Neither MK7 nor Roadtrip are particularly exciting to me.

Like I said, Nintendo's long running franchises and their reputation is basically what drives the 3DS' sales.

In this case it's quality > quantity.

Is it? I don't know that MDR is objectively worse than MK7 (I'm mentioning this, because its the example you gave). I doubt there are many who affluent enough to be able to have played both extensively enough to compare the two. Certainly there would be even fewer whose opinion is uncoloured by Mario Karts rather extensive legacy.

Its perception of quality, due to the fact that Nintendo's IP's are simply more recognised and older than most of Sony's.

Edited by Scar

MK and UMvC3 Vita are better than SF4:3D; and Rayman Origins, which happens to be hands down the best 2D platformer released in quite a few years, is best played on Vita too.

Therefore: 3DS games are inferior in their respective genres. Logic!

[...]

Sounds like you had your mind made up from the start (oh, surprise), so why even bother posting here? As far as I'm aware of, none of us gets paid to do viral marketing - nobody's gonna try to convince you to change opinions.

You should probably know what you're talking about before making witty replies.

10vj3.jpg

I believe we're done here folks.

Edited by Dobkeratops

MK and UMvC3 Vita are better than SF4:3D; and Rayman Origins, which happens to be hands down the best 2D platformer released in quite a few years, is best played on Vita too.

Therefore: 3DS games are inferior in their respective genres. Logic!

Could you tell me what all of these codenames mean because I don't have a clue what you're trying to say.

Rayman Origins isn't a console exclusive game, therefore not making it a solid point. Multi-platform games being better than the other is down to the game developers, not the system developers (Unless you mean graphically, which doesn't bother me at all).

Sounds like you had your mind made up from the start (oh, surprise), so why even bother posting here? As far as I'm aware of, none of us gets paid to do viral marketing - nobody's gonna try to convince you to change opinions.

The whole point of me posting here is because I haven't made up my mind. As stated earlier, I'm trying to outweigh to pro's and cons of each system. The PS Vita seems to have a lot of cons game-wise, but not hardware-wise.

10vj3.jpg

I believe we're done here folks.

If we're done here, then why bother responding to those other posts? That's continuing it, not ending it. Also attempting to end the debate on an old response that wasn't even directed to you doesn't make sense either way.

....Not the greatest example really. I no longer consider MK to be the gold-standard for kart racers and Modnation Racers is certainly a solid enough game. Neither MK7 nor Roadtrip are particularly exciting to me.

Like I said, Nintendo's long running franchises and their reputation is basically what drives the 3DS' sales.

Is it? I don't know that MDR is objectively worse than MK7 (I'm mentioning this, because its the example you gave). I doubt there are many who affluent enough to be able to have played both extensively enough to compare the two. Certainly there would be even fewer whose opinion is uncoloured by Mario Karts rather extensive legacy.

Its perception of quality, due to the fact that Nintendo's IP's are simply more recognised and older than most of Sony's.

Well when comparing MK7 to Roadtrip, you'll see that Roadtrip was rather poorly done compared to MK7.

You're right about the perception of quality somewhat. When I play a Nintendo game I usually get a solid polished feel... but then again, is that really just my perception, or is that the build quality?

Edited by -L-

Well, ignoring this whole fan war thing going on here...I'll say there isn't enough to interest me in buying a Vita yet but, if it ends up like the PSP I'll probably buy it at some point. Sure, the PSP didn't have the same number of quality titles that the DS did (that's kind of hard to do when Nintendo will probably always have a stranglehold on the market) but, it was a far more admirable effort than any of the other handhelds put out to compete with the big N.

Well, ignoring this whole fan war thing going on here...I'll say there isn't enough to interest me in buying a Vita yet but, if it ends up like the PSP I'll probably buy it at some point. Sure, the PSP didn't have the same number of quality titles that the DS did (that's kind of hard to do when Nintendo will probably always have a stranglehold on the market) but, it was a far more admirable effort than any of the other handhelds put out to compete with the big N.

The fact that Sony thought it worthwhile to produce the Vita, speaks enormously about the success of the original PSP.

Sure the DS had over 60% market share, but before the PSP, Nintendo essentially had a monopoly over handheld gaming.

I own both a 3DS and a Vita. So I'd like to give my opinion of the two.

3DS: I bought the 3DS first. The only reason I did originally was because of the ambassador program, so I could get 20 free games. My second reason was to preorder Tales of the Abyss, since it had never been released in the UK before. About 2 days into getting my 3DS, I was bored out of my mind. There weren't really any games I wanted, there was not a whole lot on the eshop and it was still months before anything I was even slightly interested in came out.

Looking at the 3DS now, the game selection has improved greatly, but I still wouldn't say it is as good as it could be yet. With big games like Kingdom Hearts and Metal Gear Solid it is starting to become a more respectable console. But despite that, I still don't use my 3DS a whole lot. I did enjoy Sonic Generations for it, but I had to turn the 3D off!

Vita: I actually preordered the vita because I was able to find it at a fantastic price. I was a big fan of the PSP, so the Vita offered me a lot, although I was disappointed by the lack of backwards compatability, which is where the 3DS has an advantage. The graphics are far surperior on the Vita and so far I've used it a whole lot more than my 3DS and the cames come down in price a whole lot quicker. Again I think it suffered from the start by not having a lot of strong games for it at the start. It also took months before the playstation marketplace updated with anything new and for any new games to arrive in the stores. It was another brick for a while before anything peaked my interest.

Overall I think both consoles are equally good/bad. If we go by history, the 3DS is more likely to last, but at the same time, the Vita has a lot to offer by giving us good graphics on a small console, whilst the 3DS just plans to make us seasick from the 3D. If I had to pick just one console, I think I'd have to pick the Vita, as it reminds me a lot of the fight between the Wii and PS3. Which would you prefer? A console that rides on one gimmick or to just be able to enjoy gaming the way we've all been used to, just with better graphics?

The differing effects of the 3DS on people really fascinates me. I hear a lot of stories of people online feeling discomfort, and just as many people who can play it, maximum 3D, with no problem at all. I'm one of those types, and the funny thing is that Ultra HD is actually the thing that makes me sick (Imax, Omnimax). But that's off topic, so sorry about this.

I really, really like the Vita, but the problem is, there aren't any games that interest me, besides maybe 2. It's the same problem with the Xbox 360 and PS3 in comparison to the Wii: I like the HD consoles more, but what's the use of having a console if there are very few games that interest me, so I wouldn't have much to play? The only upcoming Vita game I'd buy would be the Allstars Battle Royale game, while on the 3DS, there are games like Epic Mickey, Luigis Mansion 2, Paper Mario 3DS, the Adventure Time game, Scribblenauts Unlimited...

Sorry Vita, you're an awesome handheld, but I won't buy a console for 3 games, despite how awesome it is.

Edited by Thigolf
  • Thumbs Up 1