Awoo.

PS Vita

Patticus

I'm actually kinda waiting for a Vita Slim model, where alot of the bugs are worked out and it's more comfortable.

other than the dpad/x, square, circle, triangle buttons being a bit smaller than I expected, I find the vita very comfortable. To each their own I suppose but I fail to see a problem or "bugs" with the current model, than again, I don't own the thing yet

Still waiting patiently for Gravity Rush and P4 Golden, which is coming soon (yessssss)

Don't forget Transformed! ;)

I kind of doubt there will be a slimmed down model. Like with the 3DS, the Vita is pretty much as small as it can be with the parts in it. Now, if those same parts are somehow reduced in size in the next few years, that might work but, that would probably be more pricey.

Still waiting patiently for Gravity Rush and P4 Golden, which is coming soon (yessssss)

Another month for Gravity Rush right? Yep... Oh my wallet is ready.

I'm actually kinda waiting for a Vita Slim model, where alot of the bugs are worked out and it's more comfortable.

• Thumbs Up 2

I kind of doubt there will be a slimmed down model. Like with the 3DS, the Vita is pretty much as small as it can be with the parts in it. Now, if those same parts are somehow reduced in size in the next few years, that might work but, that would probably be more pricey.

Usually when people says Slim or Lite version of the console, they don't actually mean a smaller version, they just mean an updated one.

There exist phones with more advanced technology and hardware, which are much, much thinner and smaller than the 3DS and Vita are. The 3DS could potentially be as slim as the DSlite if Nintendo wanted to make it so. The Vita maybe not because of the second touch panel, but I'm sure they can shrink it down.

Besides, I think the Vita would do well with a refresh come a couple years. Its currently running a power-hungry Quad Core ARM Cortex A9 32 nm chipset with a Quad Core graphics and 512mb RAM. Within the next couple years newer (quad and dual core) ARM Cortex A15 chipsets build on a 28nm manufacturing process, which are FAR more power efficient and have improved performance over their A9 bretheren. (on top of that drop a 720p screen on it)

A slimmer and more power-efficient (and therefore longer battery life) model of the Vita would do wonders a few years down the line.

Worldwide Vita Sales as of March 31st= 1.8 Million

1.8 million. That's how many PlayStation Vitas were sold as of March 31, as per Sony.

The information was revealed in a Sony earnings call following the company's annual earnings report today.

CEO Kaz Hirai on the system's sales:

"About Vita," Mr. Hirai said, "the last year, [we sold] 1.8 million units for US, Japan, Asia and Europe. And as a starting phase, I think that was a good start."

Mr. Hirai offered the following assessment on the importance of software for the Vita, moving forward.

"A game platform, like Vita – the software is the key to success, how good the software is," he said. "We have to reinforce the software area in order to improve the business, that is the basic line.

"And vis a vis Vita, at this moment, there is no decline or lack of motivation as a portable platform. And also, in order to connect with the Network, this is a very important product indeed for us, and therefore we still have a very high motivation to develop this further. There is no change. And services and software must be strengthened.

"In other words, the collaborative approach is very important, so is third-party. And from first party studios, the titles will be presented one after the other, so please look at them and give your evaluation based on them."

Sony expects to sell a total of 16 million PSP's and Vita's in its next fiscal year.

Edited by Mike Dawson

Weren't people calling the 3DS a massive failure with the same amount of sales in the same amount of time? Just sayin'.

Weren't people calling the 3DS a massive failure with the same amount of sales in the same amount of time? Just sayin'.

Yes but the 3DS sold around 4 million by 3-4 months last year. 1.8 is horrible, considering it's been out for 5 months in Japan.

And the fact that they expect to sell 16 million by next year is hilarious.

• Thumbs Up 3

3DS had a price drop. The Vita's still waiting for games. There isn't really a reason to get a Vita at the moment unless you are an Uncharted fan that is desperate to play the prequel.

That is why I'm waiting for the E3. That is when the Vita will probably shine with upcoming releases.

The 3DS was in the exact same situation, it sold nearly 4 times the Vita did, and was still considered a failure by people all over the internet, even this here board.

3DS had a price drop. The Vita's still waiting for games. There isn't really a reason to get a Vita at the moment unless you are an Uncharted fan that is desperate to play the prequel.

That is why I'm waiting for the E3. That is when the Vita will probably shine with upcoming releases.

Eh... Gravity Rush is all I'm waiting on, have I mentioned that once twice maybe 30 times in this thread? tongue.png

I guess they could possibly sell 16 million handhelds between psp and vita if things go well for them. But Vita needs some games, it doesn't have any stand out titles besides Uncharted which is alright but they need a game to be released that makes Vita worthwhile.

Edited by Silencer Tsundere

The 3DS was in the exact same situation, it sold nearly 4 times the Vita did, and was still considered a failure by people all over the internet, even this here board.

Because it's Nintendo. We were expecting huge sales from the 3DS after the success of DS. And small children prefer Mario to Nathan Drake.

Eh... Gravity Rush is all I'm waiting on, have I mentioned that once twice maybe 30 times in this thread? tongue.png

But Gravity Rush isn't out yet in the West. Gravity Rush players can wait until the game comes out, then buy the Vita. So I'm still right. =o

But Gravity Rush isn't out yet in the West. Gravity Rush players can wait until the game comes out, then buy the Vita. So I'm still right. =o

Lol, I wasn't arguing a point at all honestly, just stating once again I want G Rush, and its a month and 2 days away from release whoo hoo! biggrin.png

I have my Vita already (launch day buyer, aren't I not special), I just want to play more than BlazBlue and Uncharted on it.

Edited by Silencer Tsundere

I was going to buy a Vita on release but realized that there were no games in particular that I was looking forward too. Seeing how I play fighting games a lot, a majority of the ones I would get on the vita (UMvC3 and BB) were already on the ps3 and I already own them... idk how i feel about buying the same game twice.

Given the Vita is a nice piece of hardware, I still long for it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Because it's Nintendo. We were expecting huge sales from the 3DS after the success of DS. And small children prefer Mario to Nathan Drake.

That doesn't excuse the fact that it's doing fucking terrible.

That doesn't excuse the fact that it's doing fucking terrible.

Where did I say Vita's sales are not terrible?

Lol, I wasn't arguing a point at all honestly, just stating once again I want G Rush, and its a month and 2 days away from release whoo hoo! biggrin.png

I still yet to play at least the demo of this game, so while it looks interesting I don't know why this game got so much positive feedback. I was thinking of getting this game myself before, but now because I'm tight with money I have to be 100% sure this game is gonna be right for me. @.@

Even without E3 Vita has actually quite a bit of upcoming games, it's just bad marketing on Sony's part.

Edited by Tailer

RE: Sales - After the super hyped, marketed, gimmick bearing, coming off the heels of extremely successful predecessor 3DS bombed so hard Nintendo had to take unprecedented measures to save, people wouldn't be willing to spend another $250 on a gamble. Respective launch situations are pretty different and quality alone doesn't sell, so those results are not surprising.

Maybe this gets Sony to fund cool games. Get Capcom on the phone and have them do a proper next gen Monster Hunter already, those PSP assets are becoming the new Morrigan sprite.

I still yet to play at least the demo of this game, so while it looks interesting I don't know why this game got so much positive feedback. I was thinking of getting this game myself before, but now because I'm tight with money I have to be 100% sure this game is gonna be right for me. @.@

Localized demo will be put up near launch so you can try for yourself, but right now friends are playing preview copies and their comments aren't making the wait easier. Game appears to be fantastically charming in all fields.

Besides, it's out in Japan so that demographic and importers have been able to experience the full thing, so the positive feedback has got a solid basis.

The 3DS sold 4 million BEFORE the price drop.

3DS launched when there was no real competition for an eighth gen handheld. Hype machine was running overdrive and Nintendo could effectively penetrate the market. Then there was the nostalgia factor of having Ocarina of Time 3DS being an upcoming title which prompted Nintendo fans to become early adopters (even though many were disappointed until the arrival of OoT3DS).

Sony does not have the same luxury of having 20+ year old franchises, which they can capitalise on.

The Vita arrived at a time where the 3DS was getting into its stride and thus faced stiff competition from the get go, with competitive pricing being the only thing it had in favour of it. Nintendo responded with a huge pricecut (which they can do, given they charge a huge premium for their products, whereas Sony are already making a loss on each Vita sold), which enabled them to propagate sales.

Yeah the Vita is doing pretty terrible for so many months of being released, but its in a totally different situation to what the 3DS was in at a similar stage in its lifetime. Having pretty much no competition on the dedicated handheld gaming scene is a pretty significant factor.

Personally, I reckon the Vita is going to do reasonably well. Its a slow starter for sure, but it will sell as awareness for it increases. Personally, I don't think Sony will mind the Vita not being a brilliant success on the scale of the PS2. Primarily because they've have multiple angles into the same market, what with the smartphone market converging with the handheld gaming market, and Sony having a product to sell in either category.

Edited by Scar

• 1 month later...

So thanks to Persona 4's release the sales of the Vita has boosted by 150%(34k~) in Japan compare to the sales of last week(13.4k~).

• 3 weeks later...

Since the games that are out and the ones coming out look fun to me, I ordered a Vita on Amazon. Got the Wifi version + 8GB + Gravity Rush for $270, very good price, better then going to Gamestop and paying around $310 for all this stuff.

So for peeps who have the Vita, how you holdin' up? Having fun or do you feel like you regret your decision?

(Say has there been an announcement date for the PS1 Classics on the Vita yet? I know they're coming in the Summer, but it seems strange they haven't announced a date yet)