Awoo.

Sonic Colo(u)rs Impressions, Help, and Discussion Topic

Agent York

I haven't played the game, though i watched two live streams last night and this game looks grate! Nit-picking on some of Sonic's animations and the following, wich could be spoilers:

Bossfights being "the same". First that Ferris Wheel, then chasing a ship, then ferris wheel again, and a big ship to chase and so on. Then the mini-bosses from Sonic Unleashed that shoots lasers you have to avoid them by dodging left or right. Didn't like them in Unleashed.. And there where ALOT of 2D. Did not expect that. Maybe to much? :S

The writing is grate! I really hope the Mad World guys will write then next one. And for once, the voice actors finally can act! For 12 years we have had to listen to people with no talent at all. Now, we finally have something good to listen to. Robotnik is still good though.

While I haven't played the game myself, I think I can comment on pretty much everything else, thanks to seeing some of it on a stream and a friend of mine showing me other parts of it.

The story is...almost like a fusion of that of past games (sans 2006) with something like AoStH: it's light-hearted and feels more American than Japanese (in stark contrast to Sonic Adventure 1, for example) and the Sonic/Tails dialog is, 90% of the time, awesome, for obvious reasons. And this is refreshing. However, in Unleashed, they already got Eggman right, especially by including Orbot, and Cubot only makes it more awesome. And the humor, more or less, reminds me of Ratchet and Clank, to a degree. Granted, some jokes are unbelievably stupid (underwear to be worn by salad), but shit like that's by far in the minority. Finally, the characterization's awesome, like Dusk said, and it's good to finally have some continuity (in tone and design) to the previous title, which in this case was Unleashed. Like I said before, the music is also excellent throughout. I think I have yet to hear a single track I don't like. It's got one of the best soundtracks since Sonic Adventure, which in my opinion had one of the best soundtracks ever in gaming.

The graphics look stunning. They blow Mario Galaxy 2 out of the water. And the environments all look quite unique. One thing that irks me, even without playing the game, is the shameless reusal of bosses. In a game brimming with such originality, it's lame seeing only 3 or 4 bosses being reused multiple times, with maybe one or 2 new moves for the second encounter.

So far, a few cheesy jokes and the reusal of bosses are my only gripes, but overall, I'm just eager to play it. I'm positive I'll love it, though :P

Edited by EXshad

The only positive I can say about the reused bosses - they make the originality and creativity of the final boss seem even more awesome.

;)

Does the game have more than 1 save slot? That was one of my nitpicks with Unleashed (360) as I had to make a new gamer profile just to play it from the beginning again.

Yeah I've got the same question as BlueEagle21, I'd love to know how many save slots there are.

Also whilst I'm asking questions, does anybody who has the game want to explain how the Wiimote only controls work? I'm struggling to imagine how the controls would work on a single Wiimote, but word on the street is that Solo Wiimote action is definately available. Any takers want to elaborate on them?

OK, I figured out what we're going to need to do to get Super Sonic...

You're going to need to get ALL 180 Red Rings. Yes every single one. You first unlock something with Red Rings when you collect 40, that's the ability to use Miis. Then every 10 Red rings after that you unlock a stage. You start with 7 of the 21 stages, but then for every 10 Red Rings after that you unlock a stage. So to get them all you need all 180 Red Rings.

OK, I figured out what we're going to need to do to get Super Sonic...

You're going to need to get ALL 180 Red Rings. Yes every single one. You first unlock something with Red Rings when you collect 40, that's the ability to use Miis. Then every 10 Red rings after that you unlock a stage. You start with 7 of the 21 stages, but then for every 10 Red Rings after that you unlock a stage. So to get them all you need all 180 Red Rings.

This game.. This fucking game..

It's easily one of the best Sonic games ever made and I'm not even halfway through the main story. Holy fucking shit. I love it. The level design is ace, the soundtrack is like intercourse with my ears, the Wisp powers are all fun and unique and make all of the levels insanely replayable.. I could go on. It basically took everything I loved about Sonic Unleashed and cranked it up to a million.

It's a masterpiece. The only thing it's missing for me is more playable characters.

This game.. This fucking game..

It's easily one of the best Sonic games ever made and I'm not even halfway through the main story. Holy fucking shit. I love it. The level design is ace, the soundtrack is like intercourse with my ears, the Wisp powers are all fun and unique and make all of the levels insanely replayable.. I could go on. It basically took everything I loved about Sonic Unleashed and cranked it up to a million.

It's a masterpiece. The only thing it's missing for me is more playable characters.

I'm pretty sure when people get off that whole "SAWNIKS FWENDS SUCK" Bull we can see them again.

Also your Icon says you live in America, I demand to know how you have it.

This isn't a spoiler as it's a guess. I've been taking my time in the game, so I haven't beat it yet, but I believe you unlock that rainbow star when you get all S-Ranks, though I still have no clue what it is...

I'm pretty sure when people get off that whole "SAWNIKS FWENDS SUCK" Bull we can see them again.

Some retailers across America have been shipping the game too early before the release even in other places around teh world aswell

Well in defense of those who ask for Sonic only, it IS better that they focus on making quality gameplay as Sonic before bringing other characters into it. Work out the kinks in the gameplay, make the 3D sections more plentiful, more creative and more worthwhile, and fix up the Sonic-only gameplay to be the best it can be. Then and ONLY then should they crack on with multiple characters.

What people don't realise is that adding extra characters, even if they're just slightly slower Sonic-gameplay clones with a few new techniques, takes alot of work, alot of trial and error and alot of testing. Take Knuckles for example. They couldn't just "add" him to Colours out of the blue. They'd need to test and retest his abilities, see what works and what doesn't in this new Rush/Unleashed/Colours gameplay style, and reshape either the levels or Knuckles' abilities drastically so his ability to glide and scale anything at will doesn't make his gameplay broken, since at the moment the levels were clearly made with a Sonic focus in mind.

I'm okay with having only Sonic. I'd prefer that they perfect his gameplay than have three or four average characters. Would you rather have a Mario Galaxy 2, which has one character (two technically but they barely differ in abilities at all) but superb gameplay, or a Sonic Adventure 2, which has six characters but some of them are useless clones, the running gameplay isn't as good as it could be and only 1/3 of the game is Sonic as we expect it to be?

Besides, with the ever-so-simple concept of making the best exploration abilities into powerups, I question if we'll ever need alternate characters again, other than character skins that essentially play the same as Sonic (Shadow, Blaze, etc.).

Edited by Gamenerd
  • Thumbs Up 1

About the bright star on the map...

Guys, the bright star on the map is the credits =P

Edited by Jetronic
  • Thumbs Up 2

This post is probably going to sound moronic, but here goes.

It's strange, the more I see of the game, the more disappointed I become. I mean, I'm sure the game will be fun, but from what little I've seen, there looks to be a LOT more platforming than there is speed. I love platforming, don't get me wrong, but Sonic games should have a balance.

Someone please tell me I've just been watching the slower footage.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

So wait can people list who is selling early (in the UK at least...) I've got my Argos pre-order right now but it hasn't posted yet *sadface*

Oh well, I picked up Unleashed HD cheap today so that should help me with the waiting : ). Keep the impressions coming guys!

Gamestop doesn't have it yet where I live, Bastards.

I wouldn't expect any major gaming specialty stores to have the game- or at least sell it if they do have it. The stores that might end up selling early copies of it are probably all small, locally owned shops OR big general stores like Target or Wallmart that don't really specialize in games and therefore don't pay close attention to street dates.

I'm still looking for a copy myself though. It's hard enough even finding stores around here that sell games and AREN'T Gamestop.

I've got 110 red rings so far, ten more and I'll have 1-3 of game world unlocked, when I do I'll snap a picture of how one of our rewards is presented =P

Edit: If no one else notice, the school of fish in Aquarium Park act as a temporary bubble shield

Neat =D

Edited by Jetronic

Ok I have a verdict for Sonic Colors after playing it for so long and beating plus the optional exploration that's really nice.

fabulousi.png

EDIT: JETRONIC GOT A CHAOS EMERALD

gotanemeraldcolorsemera.png

Edited by Jetronic

After watching streams,

I just LOL at the way Tails is so confident and has no qualms about pulling up or lightly teasing his big bro. And I LOVE Sonic's eccentricities such as talking to an anihillated robot and his quasi-love of food i.e him wanting two ice cream generators and fancying sushi. He's so big on the badass talk. Toughest Sonic iteration yet?

This game's cutscenes are thouroughly charming.

It's my first, I'll have my second in less than 20 minutes or so.

Cool! How many red rings is there? 110 is a lot so far. O_o

Cool! How many red rings is there? 110 is a lot so far. O_o

I got 124, as dusk said before: 

1. 40 red rings unlocks the Miis

2. 50 unlocks the next gameworld act, 1-2 to be more precise

But as you get further and further...

3. 60 unlocks 2-2

4. 70 unlocks 3-2

5. 80 unlocks 4-2

6. 90 unlocks 5-2

7. 100 unlocks 6-2

8. 110 unlocks 7-2

9. 120 unlocks 1-3, and then I got through 1-3 and grabbed my first emerald.

Ok and if you see the pattern here, you'll know how each game world act unlocks.

Edited by Jetronic

I know, I found that out as I beat the game. XD

Ah well, credits were still fun. I have 128 of the Red Rings right now, so getting close but it is getting harder to find the last 52. I really enjoyed the game though and want to replay some of the stages again. I also have a hell of a lot left to S-Rank. XD