Awoo.

Sonic Colours Review topic

Shaddix Leto Croft

Except everyone (excluding you) who has played the game says they mostly don't exist and are exaggerations. They're potential flaws if your console or remote is broken beyond repair, not the game. Watching videos, the control looks super tight and really smooth.

Now, when the vast majority of people say there isn't an issue, then three voices say there is an issue, usually something is wrong on their end.

Interesting how you assume that members of a forum, before the game is even out in the US = everybody.

And by the logic that "more people agree with this point so it's true" well, that would make the X Factor good.

Edited by DistantJ
  • Thumbs Up 1

That's another thing I don't understand about the review, pitfall deaths.

The game literally has a flashing sign with a ! on it when something will instantly kill you. It appears before bottomless pits, just to tell you that there is a fucking bottomless pit. It literally appears the second the pit is nearby, hell, I've noticed it appear when there is no possibility of falling into a pit, meaning it more than likely just warns you that it's there and be a little more carful.

And if the level is set over a bottomless pit (i think happens only once in the whole game), it warns you at the very start of the level.

I mean you seriously have to majorly suck if you can't figure out that a flashing warning sign and an alarm means something bad.

I am shocked and appalled, and a little nauseous. I grabbed a read at the Bucket 'o Sterling.

His cruelty knows no bounds.

• Thumbs Up 5

Guys, everything pointed out in the GT and Destructoid reviews are potential flaws, it's clear that some critics (and some players) feel they affects the game's enjoyability more than others, JUST like Sonic 4's physics - which destroyed the game for some, and weren't even a noticeable difference for others. You can't go hating on somebody for doing what they're paid to do - recounting and publishing their experience and opinion on it.

Defending GT, I understand. Defending Sterling? No. Sterling gave Assassin's Creed 2 a 4.5. He gave probably the best multi-console game of this generation a 4.5. Sonic 4's physics is one thing, but Assassin's Creed 2 is another story. Assassin's Creed 2 is one of those games that you can't say shit about unless you just don't like the genre and probably shouldn't be reviewing the damn game in the first place, or the things the game presents. It is like someone giving Arkham Asylum a bad score. Giving Mario Galaxy 2 a bad score. Giving Zelda Oracina of Time a BAD SCORE! Giving Shadow of Collossus a bad score! No. No. No. Yes, it is his opinion, but his opinion should have the weight of a child and not a professional reviewer.

• Thumbs Up 8

That's another thing I don't understand about the review, pitfall deaths.

The game literally has a flashing sign with a ! on it when something will instantly kill you. It appears before bottomless pits, just to tell you that there is a fucking bottomless pit. It literally appears the second the pit is nearby, hell, I've noticed it appear when there is no possibility of falling into a pit, meaning it more than likely just warns you that it's there and be a little more carful.

And if the level is set over a bottomless pit (i think happens only once in the whole game), it warns you at the very start of the level.

I mean you seriously have to majorly suck if you can't figure out that a flashing warning sign and an alarm means something bad.

Yeah, but that doesn't make the pits any less of a pain in some parts. I remember frustration at the end of a short Planet Wisp level over a bottomless pit... The jumps are difficult to make and the actual jump motion isn't ideal for them. I mean if you put those exact same platforms down in a Mario game, Mario would be able to land on them quite easily because his jumping is better, but even then it'd be one of the more pain in the arse parts of the game. Even with the "Warning! Bottomless pit!" sign it can be difficult to not fall in. I say put the really difficult platforming sections like that at the top of the level - where you'll go to a route with more of a disadvantage if you fall, not as one you have to get through to beat the level or go back to a checkpoint further back than you'd like.

And is "you must suck at the game" the answer to everything with you guys?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

Yeah, but that doesn't make the pits any less of a pain in some parts. I remember frustration at the end of a short Planet Wisp level over a bottomless pit... The jumps are difficult to make and the actual jump motion isn't ideal for them. I mean if you put those exact same platforms down in a Mario game, Mario would be able to land on them quite easily because his jumping is better, but even then it'd be one of the more pain in the arse parts of the game. Even with the "Warning! Bottomless pit!" sign it can be difficult to not fall in. I say put the really difficult platforming sections like that at the top of the level - where you'll go to a route with more of a disadvantage if you fall, not as one you have to get through to beat the level or go back to a checkpoint further back than you'd like.

Actually, when it IS logical, yes.

• Thumbs Up 2

Have you played the classics? Sonic not Mario...the fact that Sonic requires that type of precision and control is why people like Sonic. Its a challenge and its fun to them. Sonic is supposed to have Momentum...its what made the classics fun for a lot of people and people have been wondering when SEGA was going to finally put it in to work with their 3D games.

If you think your gonna over shoot something...its a skill called "Stomp".

Your arguing about something that started Sonic in the first place...and that why everyone is kinda like "Wut?". Its borderline insulting to the fan base. I completely understand now why you liked Sonic 4 so much.

Anyway that's all I wanted to say on the subject. DJ take the argument somewhere else.

Edited by Voyant
  • Thumbs Up 2

Have you played the classics? Sonic not Mario...the fact that Sonic requires that type of precision and control is why people like Sonic. Its a challenge and its fun to them. Sonic is supposed to have Momentum...its what made the classics fun for a lot of people and people have been wondering when SEGA was going to finally put it in to work with their 3D games.

If you think your gonna over shoot something...its a skill called "Stomp".

Your arguing about something that started Sonic in the first place...and that why everyone is kinda like "Wut?".

Huh, I guess some people don't like momentum. Which is odd, since momentum is a very easy thing to understand and expect, especially when you are playing a Sonic game.(only about 3 or 4 Sonic games don't have momentum)

I thought we were going to drop this argument.

I wish, but Distantj is still listing faults in this game that aren't really faults, which such comments like this spew up discussions, I don't care if someone dislikes the game, as long as the person has legit reasons.

Edited by SuperClassic

Yeah, but that doesn't make the pits any less of a pain in some parts.

You can't call them unfair all the same. If you're having issues with them, not because they pop out of nowhere, but simply because YOU are having the issue? That's not unfair, that's not the game's problem, that's your problem.

I remember frustration at the end of a short Planet Wisp level over a bottomless pit... The jumps are difficult to make and the actual jump motion isn't ideal for them.

Every single video of Sonic Colors says differently. All of them. Every. Single. One.

I mean if you put those exact same platforms down in a Mario game, Mario would be able to land on them quite easily because his jumping is better, but even then it'd be one of the more pain in the arse parts of the game. Even with the "Warning! Bottomless pit!" sign it can be difficult to not fall in.

So... it's difficult. Oh no?

I guess just about every mainstream Mario game, all the classic Sonic games and the Adventures, Rayman, Crash Bandicoot, and just about every platformer ever is completely unfair!

Games should just hold your hand the whole way through, Straight Line Zone is the only fair level in a platformer ever, I guess.

I say put the really difficult platforming sections like that at the top of the level - where you'll go to a route with more of a disadvantage if you fall,

You do understand that Colors does exactly this? If it's not a bottomless pit (which, once again, are rare), it's another route below where you currently are. One of the Planet Wisp levels, with the tower, is the very level you're talking about.

not as one you have to get through to beat the level or go back to a checkpoint further back than you'd like.

Dosen't Colors have multiple Goal Rings, and different ways to get the the same goal and such?

Well, lets narrow it down.

A person says a game has a problem.

The game lacks the problem someone says it has.

When played by a different person on a console with no issues, and a new remote, the game runs without said problem.

The person who says there is a problem has the console with no issues and a new remote with no issues.

If the game can be played by someone else without the problem under the conditions that the person has with his console and such, then the game obviously does not have the issue, nor does the console or remotes.

If three out of four objects are perfectly fine, and there is still a problem, the last one must be causing the problem.

Therefor, it is the player's fault, not the game.

So yes, unless there are console issues on their end, it is because they 'suck' or otherwise have some form of issue with the game itself.

• Thumbs Up 6

So, after reading through Mr. Sterling's poor excuses for reviews, I decided to check out the comments, and it's a madhouse. And Jim's responses to criticism make me wonder how the hell anybody takes him seriously.

Anyway, barring the jokes that are Destructoid's "reviews", I'm glad to see both versions of the game getting a positive reception like this. Scores don't matter much to me, but seeing the Sonic franchise slowly regaining respect brings a smile to my face. Please continue Sonic down this path, SEGA.

Okay, I'm late to the party, but wow. A 4.5? A 4.fucking 5?!?!?!

I can understand the Game Trailer's score (not the REVIEW, but the score). I get that some people might find this game painfully mediocre in a handful of areas. I get that. But really, is it a bad game? Be honest here - is it broken enough to the point where it merits a score identical to that of Sonic 2006?

...yeah, I thought not. The dude seems to have just gotten a memo saying "praise the fuck out of all 2D Sonic, and destroy any Sonic game that has any 3D in it... no matter what!!!" I mean, I guess it's kinda cool seeing this game get such polarizing reviews, kinda like with Sonic Chronicles, only for the sake of controversy, but really, some things just make no sense to complain about. It's in 3D in some areas, so it's marked down. The control is "broken", even though there are 4 separate control schemes, and DistantJ himself said it makes a positive difference when using the Wiimote alone. And it's hard?! Really?! In a gaming climate where a game is penalized for being too casual, this one gets bashed for being hard?!?! WHEN THERE ARE FUCKING WARNING SIGNS BLARING WHEN YOU'RE 50 FEET FROM A FUCKING BOTTOMLESS PIT?!?!?!?!

Holy shit. I really didn't wanna get worked up in this topic, as honestly, I think it's kinda stupid to complain over a review knocking the game down for legit problems and giving it an average score. But this is just unacceptable. It's a double standard that somehow only applies to this game. Why? 'cause it's 3D Sonic. It doesn't matter if it works, it doesn't matter if it's fun. It's just because it's 3D Sonic. Forget the fact that 75% of the game's in 2D anyway.

I mean, Super Mario Galaxy 2 was very hard. It had a buttload of bottomless pits, without warnings no less! And it shifted 2D/3D perspective quite a lot! Guess it deserves a 6 of 10! ;)

Ugh. Just... ugh.

Edited by EXshad
  • Thumbs Up 2

So, after reading through Mr. Sterling's poor excuses for reviews, I decided to check out the comments, and it's a madhouse. And Jim's responses to criticism make me wonder how the hell anybody takes him seriously.

Wow, is it really that bad? I try to advoid reading the comments over there cause I know that all the haters is having a field day. They are aware of the fact that Jim's review is the only terrible review of the game so far?

They are aware of the fact that Jim's review is the only terrible review of the game so far?

You would hope so.

Anyways, I'm kinda on the fence about writing a review about this game. Normally, this is the kind of game where I'd go at it really quick without hesitation, but at the same time I mean my god who dosen't have an opinion about the game now? Why bother writing the review if everyone already knows if they're getting the game or not?

Oh, guys, please, come on. Don't start this up again.

How about we do this: I tell you what I didn't like about the game. You tell me why you did like those things. We don't need to keep calling each other wrong and turn it into an argument, it ruined the thread before and I was going to leave this place because of it, I came back after some kind PMs from other members.

I just think that the platforming and level design isn't as good as other similar platformers. I find that small, square platforms sparsely and seemingly randomly plonked over a bottomless pit is cheap, and I don't remember many small square platforms in the originals, it was much more about interestingly shaped landmasses and hazards.

We'll see if my reasons for disliking the game are "legit reasons" when people in the US get the game and more have experienced it, and even then, if I didn't enjoy parts of the game becuase of these things, I didn't enjoy parts of the game because of them. I can't change that and neither can you. I can't just go 'oh, you're right, those bits weren't frustrating, it's my fault I didn't have fun' because they were for me, and it would have saved me the frustration if they had been different. It's not just about judging something as a sum of it's parts, it's about your experience and enjoyment, and for me, it didn't enjoy it as much as I had hoped I would, and it's because of these issues I have listed.

Galaxy Man, your post implies to me that you haven't even played the game, so you can't make these accusations to me. And bottomless pits are not rare at all in the game. You wait until you play it before saying these things.

Anyway, I have a topic for this, if you want to tear apart my views on the game I've put them all into one big review for you to tear apart, so do it in there so this one doesn't get ruined again.

Edited by DistantJ

Galaxy Man, your post implies to me that you haven't even played the game, so you can't make these accusations to me. And bottomless pits are not rare at all in the game. You wait until you play it before saying these things.

I've played the game, and really the bottomless pits are blown out of proportion. The only level I can think of that throws them at you frequently is Asteroid Coaster, and that level in general cuts the hand-holding easy ride for a perfectly good reason. The times they DO appear they're forewarned a good deal before they even come. They appear at a standard rate compared to everything Sonic's had going by now, and really asking bottomless pits to not appear in platforming is a pretty petty complaint.

Also, do you guys really need to go on about the game here again? You guys got two other topics on opinions and debates about this and this really isn't the first time this shit's been derailed with a warning. The best thing to do if you want to avoid an arguement is to just not respond, y'know. No one's going to fault you for that.

Edited by Carbo
  • Thumbs Up 2

Also, do you guys really need to go on about the game here again? You guys got two other topics on opinions and debates about this and this really isn't the first time this shit's been derailed with a warning.

Well, that's what I just said in my last post.

Edited by DistantJ

if the game gives you time to think and react and you clearly see the bottomless pit, then i have no thing wrong with the bottomless pits.

sonic colors has bottomless pit, but the game gives me time to plan and jump on the specific platform. asteroid coaster was one of the creative platforming stages,

and i was happy with the challenges it had, and i had no problems with losing a lot in that stage because the game doesn't surprises me with Death Traps (And bottomless pits) as I already see them and have time to plan to avoid them, and i clearly see them before Jumping.

its a basic knowledge of all platformers really. and sonic colors has no unfair challenge whats so ever, its difficult and challenging but its not unfairly difficult.

the game warns you when you know that you might lose, and when you are in one platform, you think what you are going to do when you jump on the next one, the game doesn't rush you to jump through it.

having said that, I accept your opinion, DistantJ.

Maybe you don't like over a lot of bottomless pits.

but i prefere them they make the game more challenging, after sonic is a platformer.

asteroid coaster was one of the most challenging zones in the game for that reason in my opinion.

I can't believe I'm having to babysit a Colours topic and delete abusive posts AGAIN. Anyone who thinks that it's okay to spam any topic with snarky comments that have nothing to do with the topic at hand needs to go read the rules again RIGHT NOW.

Whether or not DistantJ overreacted by threatening to leave, give the guy a break all right? We all make rash decisions. This topic is a chance to discuss an opposing viewpoint of the game, that is all.

No more drama. Please.

• Thumbs Up 1

If we can keep all the e-drama to the DistantJ topic, I would greatly appreciate it. And this isn't a snarky comment, this is a genuine plea for help here.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 4

jeremy, that's what I've been saying for my past, like, 10 posts, but people are continuing it in here. Look, just move over there and forget it in here, ok?

(Thanks again, Flyboy Fox)

Edited by DistantJ

If we can keep all the e-drama to the DistantJ topic, I would greatly appreciate it. And this isn't a snarky comment, this is a genuine plea for help here.

I actually thought I was IN DistantJ's topic when I made that reply. Goes to show how similarly the two topics have been messed up :\

There should not be 'e-drama' in either place, and after the snark YOU posted, jeremy, you're in no position to demand anything of anyone.

Now please. On topic now?

I'm getting a psychic prediction from the future!

Yahtzee will give the game a negative review. Absolutely no one will be surprised by this.

Many will take his humorous review dead serious. Absolutely no one will be surprised by this.

I'm getting a psychic prediction from the future!

Yahtzee will give the game a negative review. Absolutely no one will be surprised by this.

Many will take his humorous review dead serious. Absolutely no one will be surprised by this.

I'm not even going to bother predicting with him when odds are he probably won't try the game since the reason he ever did Unleashed in the first place was cause he just wanted to vent the holidays on something.

Although seeing how he bitched about Unleashed being too fast and not liking 3D Sonic at all I could actually maybe see him get into this.