Awoo.

Sonic Colours Review topic

Shaddix Leto Croft

Doesn't D-Toid have any other reveiwers employed?

They should just get some other dude to do a reveiw and post it as "Another take".

Jim seems to generally churn out poor reveiws, I mean giving Deadly Premonition a 10 because he got it for cheap lulz?

The guy has no standards at all.

Other reviews by Jim Sterling:

Assassin's Creed 2: 4.5/10

Final Fantasy XIII: 4/10

Deadly Premonition: 10/10 (because it was so bad it was good and he got it for $20.)

Huh, why did he give Assassin's Creed 2 an 4.5??

Just read through all of the comments on D-Toid. I sincerely pity the people who decided not to buy the game because of this idiot.

Fuck you, Sterling. Go get fired moar plz.

• Thumbs Up 6

I feel so very sorry for Jim. This horrendous unworthy excuse of a game actually forced that poor poor man to push a control stick left and right. Sickening. /sarcasm I do not approve this review.

• Thumbs Up 4

Just read through all of the comments on D-Toid. I sincerely pity the people who decided not to buy the game because of this idiot.

Wait, so the people in the comments only cares about what he thinks about the game? His opinion is the only ones that really matters to them?

• Thumbs Up 1

Wait, so the people in the comments only cares about what he thinks about the game? His opinion is the only ones that really matters to them?

Yes. Just read for yourself.

Dissident is not responsible for any loss of hair or sanity you may get while reading these comments. All malicious actions you may want to inflict upon Sterling are your responsibility.

Edited by Dissident
  • Thumbs Up 3

Stirling doesn't realize that this fanbase is "passionate" enough to send death threats to Roger Craig mother fucking Smith. The guy's gonna die.

It's amazing how Sega fails to recapture the magic of Sonic Advanced 2. Not saying that game was flawless, but it had everything we ever needed. A darkish storyline still peppered with apt cuteness, two versions of every level per side of the story, focused lock on feature, challenging yet fun 3d levels, and entertaining bosses. Truly we are the fool.

^Lolzyest comment

Seriously, though, if people don't want the game due to one negative review then that's their loss. B)

Edited by BlazingTales

I think Jim is intentionally doing this to troll. That mother****** ****sucker. How the **** do you rate s4e1 an 8 and sonic colors a 4,5, how the **** does that happen?

What an idiot.

/ragingmode

If he's not trolling, he has got some shitty taste for games. People like him honestly should never be in the game journalist industry. He is not qualified.

It seems that he's more positive about the mindless boost to win trial and error sonic colors (rush 3). I mean I don't have anything against those sort of sonic games, but in no way do I prefer them to what sonic colors delivers, which is precision platforming.

Botomless pits can be found in almost every platformer. Watch the donkey kong country previews now and you will see donkey fall into a botomless pit right there. But because it's not sonic it is totally acceptable.

What a cunt

Edited by Jaouad
  • Thumbs Up 4

My favorite one's

SilentSchemer

Is it too soon to bring the "Sonic Cycle"?

Epic-KxDtoid

Hahahahahaha! I knew it! I knew that this game was gonnabomb! And for all the 4 bashers, answer me this: w here's your sonic 4 killer now?! WOoT SONIC 4 FTW! This proves that fanboys are fucking idiots! Muahahahahahahahaha

Jim Sterling

Fact: If more people like something, it is factually proven that the thing is good.

Argumentum ad populum FTW!

TheDukeofNukem

At first, Sonic 4 appears to have finally done everything right. By taking the fun and speedy levels from Sonic Unleashed and leaving behind the dreary "Werehog" nonsense, Colors breezes through its first few stages with an empowering, thrilling charm. It truly does manage to convince one that Sonic has finally nailed it.

Then come the laggy controls ... and broken homing attacks ... and pitfall deaths ... and platforming sections so badly presented, you'd think they were patched together by chimpanzees. Then you realize that Sonic Colors is a case of the same old problems, in a brand new package.

The simple fact of the matter is this -- Sonic 4 is terribly designed. The level layout is atrocious, putting the focus on cheap pitfall deaths instead of real challenge, and various platforming sections that clash with the game's very physics. There are issues in Sonic 4 that have plagued the series since Sonic Advance 2 first arrived on the Gameboy Advance, confirming once and for all that whoever works at Sonic Team, they just don't have a clue what's wrong with their games.

Edited by Inferno
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh well, it's their loss. The people on that page is the complete fools cause they're acting like this game is doing really poorly. If they even bother to check out other reviews besides Jim Sterling's then they could see that Colors is positively received from fans and critics.

Edited by sonfan1984

Jim Sterling is a known troll.

What Destructoid should do is get a second opinion and average the 2 reviews together.

Anyway, troll reviewers like him are why I can't take Metacritic averages seriously.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well he did give AC2 a 4.5, so according to that Colors is on the same level as AC2. lmao. I think colors looks good, so if you like it rejoice. Sterling seems like an unhappy fellow.

Edited by Silencer226

Finished my review. Here it is for anyone interested:

Sonic hasn’t exactly been on top of the world lately. Sonic went from being one of gaming’s greatest icons to a laughing stock. Don’t forget to finish writing the obligatory intro about Sonic’s life story when you’re done playing Demon’s Souls! ... Heh, that uh… must’ve been a not I left for myself. Uh… *ahem*… let’s just move on with the review.

Story:

For once, it’s actually pretty good. The premise is simple: Eggman has “turned a new leaf” and made an interstellar amusement park to show everyone that he’s a good person now. Of course, all of this is just a trick, and he’s actually using it as a distraction from his real plan: To kidnap these aliens called Wisps and use their “Hyper-go-on” energy to create a mind control machine. With this, he plans on, you guessed it, taking over the world. The script is much better this time around, and actually gives Sonic and Tails some personality. They act like brothers to each other, and they actually have character now! Tails is the cautious one, considering the chance that Eggman may not really be doing anything, while Sonic is more brash and overconfident, going to investigate even though nothing suggests Eggman is doing anything wrong. Sonic is a lot more arrogant this time around, sort of like Spider-Man. Take this scene for example: *Play cutscene 21 (for those reading, that’s the one where Sonic starts stretching while taunting the boss in Asteroid Coaster)*

Some of the jokes are corny, but hey, it’s still pretty good overall.

Graphics:

This can pretty much be summed up in one word:

DAAAAAAAMMMMMMNNNNNN. This game looks amazing, especially for a Wii game. The art direction is great, the number of things going on at once is outstanding, and the framerate is solid. This game looks even better than Super Mario Galaxy 2, in my opinion, and there were times where I forgot I was playing a Wii game. The cutscenes also look great. The models are really detailed, and incredibly expressive, without looking as awkward as they did in Sonic Adventure 2. Overall, the graphics will leave you incredibly pleased.

Sound:

Looking back at Sonic 06, it’s easy to see that the best point in that game was its music. It really was quite good. However, Colors completely obliterates even that. The music is outstanding, having all of he greatness that Unleashed had, without being limited to cultural themes. With tracks like Planet Wisp, a smooth, yet upbeat piano piece put together with some slight guitar and drums, Aquarium Park, basically what Chun-nan should have been, and Asteroid Coaster, a strong guitar track reminiscent to Sonic Adventure. You know; the good half. Colors was also very important to the franchise in another way, it was the second game to showcase the new voice actors for Sonic and Tails. While Free Riders had more characters present in the story, Colors show just how well Roger and Kate can portray their characters. Rejoice, fellow Sonic fans, the days of GGGRRRRIIIFFFFfffFFFIIttTTHHHH11!!!!!1! are over.

Gameplay:

Shockingly, the high point of this Sonic game is the gameplay. No, I’m not joking. This game has improved almost every little problem with Unleashed. Didn’t like the fact that the 2D gameplay was very straight forward and screamed “hold right to win”? Well, there’s actually some platforming in this one. Honest to god platforming. How about the awkward controls? Though not on the same level as the classics, Sonic actually has momentum in this game. More than Sonic 4. Finally, this is the first mainstream console Sonic game not to have some completely unrelated gameplay style clogging up half of the game. So long, Werehog. Don’t let the door hit you on your way out.

The game is separated into six stages: Tropical resort, Starlight Carnival, Sweet Mountain, Planet Wisp, Asteroid Coaster, and Aquarium Park. Each stage has six acts, with one boss at the end. With this many levels, the story will take you at the very least about four to five hours, but that’s only if you’re rushing through the game. Personally, I sunk about seven hours into the game before beating the final boss, simply because I was exploring and replaying a few levels to get red rings. There are five red rings scattered throughout every act, equaling one hundred and eighty in total. These rings can be used to unlock Sonic Simulator stages, which are henceforth used to collect chaos emeralds. Once all emerald are collected, you get to go to the final stage and fight ultra mega hyper insane Jesus Wisp Nega reverse rebirthed.

Don’t believe me? Why? It’s been happening in every Sonic game before this one for the last fifteen years. Seriously though, your reward is much better. For the first time since Sonic 3 and Knuckles, including all spinoffs and side titles other than the Riders series, Super Sonic is playable in normal stages. Shocked? You should be. It was just as unexpected as the Werehog. … You know, without causing the mass hysteria and hate the Werehog did.

The only real issues here are that the 3D portions haven’t changed much since Unleashed. They’re still straightforward, and still feel like they’re more based on quick reflexes than platforming skill. They’re still fun, but they could definitely be improved. Unlike Unleashed however, most of the game is played in 2D anyway. About 80% of it, in fact. Another slight nitpick I have is with the quickstep controls. You have to move the D-Pad or analog, depending on what controller you’re using, in the direction you want to go. This is fine, but you need to hold forward at the same time to stay at top speed, and I couldn’t help but feel that I was loosening the D-pad on my Wiimote when I was S-ranking the bosses that use the quickstep. Finally, the biggest issue I had was the rehashing of bosses. While not as insulting as Sonic 4, you have to fight three different bosses in the first three stages, and then fight them again in the latter three. There is a good bit of variation each time, but it’s still the same boss. These problems aren’t game breaking at all, and they definitely won’t ruin the experience, but they are there, and should be acknowledged.

Conclusion:

This was the one. Not only the one to finally be what a 3D Sonic game should be, but the one that actually surpasses the classics. Everything, and I mean everything, was great. The story, the music, the gameplay, the graphics, and even most of the jokes. I wholeheartedly recommend Sonic Colors to everyone reading this, whether you’re a Sonic fan or a fan of platformers, you will get a good, polished game when you buy this. Let’s hope Sonic’s next ten years gives us games that are even better than this. Happy 20th, Sonic.

Now to work on making a video review out of that. What do you guys think?

Edited by Dissident
  • Thumbs Up 5

Finished my review. Here it is for anyone interested:

Sonic hasn’t exactly been on top of the world lately. Sonic went from being one of gaming’s greatest icons to a laughing stock. Don’t forget to finish writing the obligatory intro about Sonic’s life story when you’re done playing Demon’s Souls! ... Heh, that uh… must’ve been a not I left for myself. Uh… *ahem*… let’s just move on with the review.

Story:

For once, it’s actually pretty good. The premise is simple: Eggman has “turned a new leaf” and made an interstellar amusement park to show everyone that he’s a good person now. Of course, all of this is just a trick, and he’s actually using it as a distraction from his real plan: To kidnap these aliens called Wisps and use their “Hyper-go-on” energy to create a mind control machine. With this, he plans on, you guessed it, taking over the world. The script is much better this time around, and actually gives Sonic and Tails some personality. They act like brothers to each other, and they actually have character now! Tails is the cautious one, considering the chance that Eggman may not really be doing anything, while Sonic is more brash and overconfident, going to investigate even though nothing suggests Eggman is doing anything wrong. Sonic is a lot more arrogant this time around, sort of like Spider-Man. Take this scene for example: *Play cutscene 21 (for those reading, that’s the one where Sonic starts stretching while taunting the boss in Asteroid Coaster)*

Some of the jokes are corny, but hey, it’s still pretty good overall.

Graphics:

This can pretty much be summed up in one word:

DAAAAAAAMMMMMMNNNNNN. This game looks amazing, especially for a Wii game. The art direction is great, the number of things going on at once is outstanding, and the framerate is solid. This game looks even better than Super Mario Galaxy 2, in my opinion, and there were times where I forgot I was playing a Wii game. The cutscenes also look great. The models are really detailed, and incredibly expressive, without looking as awkward as they did in Sonic Adventure 2. Overall, the graphics will leave you incredibly pleased.

Sound:

Looking back at Sonic 06, it’s easy to see that the best point in that game was its music. It really was quite good. However, Colors completely obliterates even that. The music is outstanding, having all of he greatness that Unleashed had, without being limited to cultural themes. With tracks like Planet Wisp, a smooth, yet upbeat piano piece put together with some slight guitar and drums, Aquarium Park, basically what Chun-nan should have been, and Asteroid Coaster, a strong guitar track reminiscent to Sonic Adventure. You know; the good half. Colors was also very important to the franchise in another way, it was the second game to showcase the new voice actors for Tails and Knuckles. While Free Riders had more characters present in the story, Colors show just how well Roger and Kate can portray their characters. Rejoice, fellow Sonic fans, the days of GGGRRRRIIIFFFFfffFFFIIttTTHHHH11!!!!!1! are over.

Gameplay:

Shockingly, the high point of this Sonic game is the gameplay. No, I’m not joking. This game has improved almost every little problem with Unleashed. Didn’t like the fact that the 2D gameplay was very straight forward and screamed “hold right to win”? Well, there’s actually some platforming in this one. Honest to god platforming. How about the awkward controls? Though not on the same level as the classics, Sonic actually has momentum in this game. More than Sonic 4. Finally, this is the first mainstream console Sonic game not to have some completely unrelated gameplay style clogging up half of the game. So long, Werehog. Don’t let the door hit you on your way out.

The game is separated into six stages: Tropical resort, Starlight Carnival, Sweet Mountain, Planet Wisp, Asteroid Coaster, and Aquarium Park. Each stage has six acts, with one boss at the end. With this many levels, the story will take you at the very least about four to five hours, but that’s only if you’re rushing through the game. Personally, I sunk about seven hours into the game before beating the final boss, simply because I was exploring and replaying a few levels to get red rings. There are five red rings scattered throughout every act, equaling one hundred and eighty in total. These rings can be used to unlock Sonic Simulator stages, which are henceforth used to collect chaos emeralds. Once all emerald are collected, you get to go to the final stage and fight ultra mega hyper insane Jesus Wisp Nega reverse rebirthed.

Don’t believe me? Why? It’s been happening in every Sonic game before this one for the last fifteen years. Seriously though, your reward is much better. For the first time since Sonic 3 and Knuckles, including all spinoffs and side titles other than the Riders series, Super Sonic is playable in normal stages. Shocked? You should be. It was just as unexpected as the Werehog. … You know, without causing the mass hysteria and hate the Werehog did.

The only real issues here are that the 3D portions haven’t changed much since Unleashed. They’re still straightforward, and still feel like they’re more based on quick reflexes than platforming skill. They’re still fun, but they could definitely be improved. Unlike Unleashed however, most of the game is played in 2D anyway. About 80% of it, in fact. Another slight nitpick I have is with the quickstep controls. You have to move the D-Pad or analog, depending on what controller you’re using, in the direction you want to go. This is fine, but you need to hold forward at the same time to stay at top speed, and I couldn’t help but feel that I was loosening the D-pad on my Wiimote when I was S-ranking the bosses that use the quickstep. Finally, the biggest issue I had was the rehashing of bosses. While not as insulting as Sonic 4, you have to fight three different bosses in the first three stages, and then fight them again in the latter three. There is a good bit of variation each time, but it’s still the same boss. These problems aren’t game breaking at all, and they definitely won’t ruin the experience, but they are there, and should be acknowledged.

Conclusion:

This was the one. Not only the one to finally be what a 3D Sonic game should be, but the one that actually surpasses the classics. Everything, and I mean everything, was great. The story, the music, the gameplay, the graphics, and even most of the jokes. I wholeheartedly recommend Sonic Colors to everyone reading this, whether you’re a Sonic fan or a fan of platformers, you will get a good, polished game when you buy this. Let’s hope Sonic’s next ten years gives us games that are even better than this. Happy 20th, Sonic.

Now to work on making a video review out of that. What do you guys think?

I'm glad I didn't suggest anything because I know you would've stolen my ideas. Anyway, nice review.

I'm glad I didn't suggest anything because I know you would've stolen my ideas. Anyway, nice review.

It's not stolen if you suggested it. d:<

It's not stolen if you suggested it. d:<

Keep saying that Mr. " I'm going to take SuperClassic's ideas for my Sonic 4 review"!!!!!1111111!!!111

Anyway, you might want to fix that review up a bit, there are a few grammar errors here and there.

Keep saying that Mr. " I'm going to take SuperClassic's ideas for my Sonic 4 review"!!!!!1111111!!!111

Anyway, you might want to fix that review up a bit, there are a few grammar errors here and there.

Ah. Well, I usually catch all mistakes when reading it out loud, so I guess I'll just leave it and post the video review later.

Edit:

I see what you're talking about now. Those fragments and run on sentences were in there intentionally. It's because this review is meant to be heard, not read, and it's written as such for that reason.

Edited by Dissident

Ah. Well, I usually catch all mistakes when reading it out loud, so I guess I'll just leave it and post the video review later.

Edit:

I see what you're talking about now. Those fragments and run on sentences were in there intentionally. It's because this review is meant to be heard, not read, and it's written as such for that reason.

I was also talking about how you mixed up "he" and "the" at one point.

I was also talking about how you mixed up "he" and "the" at one point.

Well, typos are typos. d:

I really don't feel like fixing it at this point. All that's left is to put the footage into the review, I finished recording and editing the audio.

And after that one review, Jim Sterling has suddenly become the Armond White of the Sonic Colors fandom.

Edited by Dark Qiviut

And after that one review, Jim Sterling has suddenly become the Armond White of the people who actually played the game.

Fix'd.

• Thumbs Up 3