Awoo.

Sonic Colours Review topic

Shaddix Leto Croft

So, after reading through Mr. Sterling's poor excuses for reviews, I decided to check out the comments, and it's a madhouse. And Jim's responses to criticism make me wonder how the hell anybody takes him seriously.

Anyway, barring the jokes that are Destructoid's "reviews", I'm glad to see both versions of the game getting a positive reception like this. Scores don't matter much to me, but seeing the Sonic franchise slowly regaining respect brings a smile to my face. Please continue Sonic down this path, SEGA.

Well, i don't know what on God's earth happened here, but I guess this "Jim Sterling" is an A+ Bullshit artist. Come to think of it, I never heard of the guy til' now really...

I'm getting a psychic prediction from the future!

Yahtzee will give the game a negative review. Absolutely no one will be surprised by this.

Many will take his humorous review dead serious. Absolutely no one will be surprised by this.

Yahtzee has at numerous times attested to taking like in games he regularly bashes because no one really watches his movies to hear praise, he just slips them in where they deserve mention. The only reviews he do make out positive is games he consider absolutely great, those which I can think of so far is Dead Rising 2, Saints Row 2, Psychonauts, Super Mario Galaxy and Arkham Asylum, but he's gone off the record saying that games like Galaxy 2, Assassin's Creed 2, Just Cause 2 and Uncharted 2 are pretty good games.

Yahtzee will end the review with a metaphor, (violent act) with (animal) stuck in (orifice). Absolutely no one will be surprised by this.

Sadly, it kinda makes you wonder what he really thinks about the games he bashes. It's pretty obvious he's kinda forced too, if he's nice to a game at all he's pretty much constantly yelled at.

I'm not going to even bother with the Yahtzee review after he tore unleashed a new asshole. He will just tear sonic colors up and end it with some rude or vulgar joke and saying what Jim "BAWWW SAWNIK SHOULDN'T BE 3D!!!" Sterling already said.

Not saying i'm not going to stop watching him though. The guy is funny when it comes to other games...

EDIT: Thanks Shadzter, we have been needing a 8.5 lately!

Edited by goku262002

He does know that the cutscenes are skippable and there's a JPN voice box if the voice acting bothers him that much, right?

The cutscenes are a major part of the game (even if it is story-light) and listening to voices in a language that you don't understand can be even more annoying. I don't agree with him, but that's the way it works.

ONM has put an interesting article up with their forum's opinion on the game:

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=21422

ShadowofPain agrees, saying "Best Sonic game in years! The game is difficult, but for me it's on the fun side of difficult. Sometimes, I even restart the ENTIRE level again so I can nail the one section and get a better overall rank."

Yay my quote was there ;D

The cutscenes are a major part of the game (even if it is story-light) and listening to voices in a language that you don't understand can be even more annoying. I don't agree with him, but that's the way it works.

That didn't stop people who've dislike the english voices before to switch to JPN voices. I've never played the games in JPN voices, btw. I've never hated the voiceacting so much in a Sonic game that I want to listen in a different language.

If I hated the voice acting to something, I'd rather not listen to any language at all. Switch to another if you legitimately prefer the voices in that language, but most people want to you know, understand what these characters are saying.

Not to play Devil's Advocate, but I just read on Wikipedia that one of Destructoid's goals is to fully utilise the 10-point scale, meaning that a 5 is a completely average game, rather than an abominable atrocity that not even advertisement money could buy a better score for - as is the case in pretty much every other review site on the internet and beyond. Which is an entirely futile stance to take at this point, but nonetheless there you go. Jim Sterling apparently thinks it's slightly below-average. Total bullshit, but at least it's a step up from what 4.5 would mean coming from any other source.

I bet he's the same user who posted the (404 not found) link to that review at Sonic Retro. He said that they loved this game. If it's not a 10, maybe a 9 or 9.5 (or an 8?)

he isn't the only one who saw it.

but i guess its safe to say that they gave it a good score (i guess).

I didn't see it but some other game faqs members saw it too.

Screwattack doesn't give scores, they just tell you if the game is worth buying, if its only worth a rental or if is better to skip it entirely and they give you the reasons to why in the review, Screwattack hates scores.

And I like that way of reviewing, giving a score to a game will always be a terrible way to evaluate it, is better to just point out the game strengths and weaknesses and let the viewer evaluate the game with that information.

So yeah, even if Screwattack's review counted in the metascore, they give no scores so I doubt they can be added in any way to it.

Eh, I could have called a 3 out of 5. Still, this is the first review that actually claims that the Wisps take away from the core mechanic. Even the other reviews which gave it an average rating said that the Wisps do nothing but supplement the core gameplay.

And honestly, from personal experience, I have no clue how the Wisps take away from anything. The hover one might be a bit slow, and the cyan laser can be a bit wily... but that's all I got, and even that's grasping at straws. I really don't understand that gripe.

Edited by EXshad

Screwattack doesn't give scores, they just tell you if the game is worth buying, if its only worth a rental or if is better to skip it entirely and they give you the reasons to why in the review, Screwattack hates scores.

And I like that way of reviewing, giving a score to a game will always be a terrible way to evaluate it, is better to just point out the game strengths and weaknesses and let the viewer evaluate the game with that information.

So yeah, even if Screwattack's review counted in the metascore, they give no scores so I doubt they can be added in any way to it.

Hear hear. Remember when Sonic Unleashed was on it's way? Scores for a game which is essentially two completely different games in one seem wrong - the good stuff is so good but the bad stuff has to drag the score down to the point that it puts people 'on the fence' off of the overall product.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1