Awoo.

Sonic Colours Review topic

Shaddix Leto Croft

Neither Mario nor Sonic invented space and besides Space Invaders and Galaga came first.

I think some things were inspiration, and other things were just coincidental.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic Adventure's 3D sections pretty much did it for me, there are areas such as Speed Highway at dawn and Final Egg in general that are barely scripted at all. I don't know why Sonic Colors can't try to imitate at least a vaguely similar level design philosophy.

You might as well make all of Sonic Color's sections in 2D. This isn't a colossally huge complaint of mine, I just don't like what I'm seeing in the 3D portions - what little of them there are here.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 2

Neither Mario nor Sonic invented space and besides Space Invaders and Galaga came first.

I lol'd. Can't deny this!

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Adventure's 3D sections pretty much did it for me, there are areas such as Speed Highway at dawn and Final Egg in general that are barely scripted at all. I don't know why Sonic Colors can't try to imitate at least a vaguely similar level design philosophy.

You might as well make all of Sonic Color's sections in 2D. This isn't a colossally huge complaint of mine, I just don't like what I'm seeing in the 3D portions - what little of them there are here.

Baby steps I say...

I'm starting to get the idea that Sonic Colors is just a Glorified "Experiment" based off a previous styles. To me at least; cause in Unleashed the 2D sections were lacking a lot at times while 3D was superior. I'm sure that the game overall was easier to make by deceasing the 3D sections, but like I said this excuse won't cut it in an HD version or future game.

Hopefully the next game takes the combination of both the best aspects of unleashed style games and combines it into 1 (with some adventure style sprinkled on top). With that we will have a true gem of a Sonic game.

Think of it this way...take unleashed scratch the stupid crap in the game and leave just Sonic. Think of the first game as Sonic 1....Colors is pretty much the Sonic 2 of what the old games were.

So S3&K is next on the list....^^

Edited by Voyant

Yeah, but even those are pretty damn glitchy and awkward to handle, aren't they? I mean those games don't stand up well at all - and I'm beginning to think it's more to do with the nature of platforming at that speed than the programming of those games (ok, SA1 I'm sure could have been programmed better, for sure, but even the best-programmed full 3D Sonics have never been truly smooth, you have to be locked into certain paths and such, and when you aren't, well, it's fiddly.

I'd be happy to see, maybe 50/50 3D/2D ratio, but I'm not interested in seeing the series go back to 'full 3D'. Even the Mario Galaxy games spend a good amount of time from a side-on viewpoint and I don't think they'd be quite as amazing without those sections.

Yeah, but even those are pretty damn glitchy and awkward to handle, aren't they? I mean those games don't stand up well at all - and I'm beginning to think it's more to do with the nature of platforming at that speed than the programming of those games (ok, SA1 I'm sure could have been programmed better, for sure, but even the best-programmed full 3D Sonics have never been truly smooth, you have to be locked into certain paths and such, and when you aren't, well, it's fiddly.

I'm targeting minute sections such as Speed Highway's final section, which is an example of what I would love to see more. I'm aware that not every aspect of the game's level design should be replicated.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I'm targeting minute sections such as Speed Highway's final section, which is an example of what I would love to see more. I'm aware that not every aspect of the game's level design should be replicated.

Frankly the best way to produce the best 3D Sonic game, would be to combine the best of Colours with the best of Adventure and the best of Classic. I.e, the low-speed precision of SA1 and SA2, with the high-speed stability of Colours (I don't know about you, but controls were very twitchy in Adventure [2]; it was difficult to stay in a straight line), with a dash of Spindash added in to replace the boost; X, square or B button to charge spindash while stationary (mash the Jump button to rev the spindash, but this adds nothing but aesthetic value and nostalgia). If you're running and you press the spindash, you just go into roll (i.e cannot spindash). Also mod the Homing attack a little to make it more interactive. If you're standing still you can't homing attack. The faster you're running, the greater the range of the homing attack. Also animate it so it looks like you're "Sliding through the air" towards the enemy rather that abruptly flying in that direction. That way it would look like the "bopping" in the classics.

This combined with improved 3D (adventure-ish) level design with the same level of multiple routes of Eggmanland HD, perhaps with some Colours-ish 2D Segments thrown in for nostalgia, but where appropriate (i.e climbing a tower) and the game would be pure gold. Whatever it may be called; Sonic Adventure 3, Sonic Next Gen 2, Sonic Skyline, Sonic Lightning, or anything new they come up with.

Colours' engine is the perfect playground for alternate play styles aswell. Tails' flying = Green Hover, Shadow's chaos control = Cyan Lazer, Knuckles' climbing = a modified Pink Spikes etc.

Not only is Colours a good game, but it also seems to be laying foundations for an even bigger game. Its like its testing the water, to see what people think of it, and it seems to have worked (for once).

• Thumbs Up 4

Colours' engine is the perfect playground for alternate play styles aswell. Tails' flying = Green Hover, Shadow's chaos control = Cyan Lazer, Knuckles' climbing = a modified Pink Spikes etc.

Not only is Colours a good game, but it also seems to be laying foundations for an even bigger game. Its like its testing the water, to see what people think of it, and it seems to have worked (for once).

I've never thought of this.

Lolcat approves your idea.

I don't think this has been mentioned, but GamesMaster gave Sonic Colours 86%. It's only a one page review, but I'll upload it tomorrow.

It's only a matter of time before the 3D sections evolve into Crash Bandicoot. Come to think of it this game reminds me a lot of that series.

OMG.

YOU'RE RIGHT.

:blink:

MY COOKIES. TAKE THEM. ALL OF THEM.

NOW!

Yeah, but even those are pretty damn glitchy and awkward to handle, aren't they?
Yeah, because everything in SA is glitchy and awkward, no matter what speed you're going at. Platforming as Big and Amy is no less (and I'd say, a fair bit more) awkward than it is as Sonic.

Honestly, I don't see any reason why a more open 3D Sonic is unreasonable. Most of the 3D Sonics are either poorly programmed in general or not designed for open gameplay, so they're hardly proof that it can't be done. The 2D Sonics were open enough and with plenty of platforming, and I can't imagine what about being in 3D is so huge as to make it impossible.

if i see Stages more like this :

it would be amazing. Planet wisp act 1 isn't automated at all at its 3D Sections (you have to Switch Rails and use the Quick Step and Do a homing attack on the spring to avoid falling and in the other 3d parts you have to quick step or you will Fall and Have to Kill Enemies using the homing attack or avoid falling to a bottomless pit after that,so you loss more time...etc).

I personally like how they leave platforming and explorations to 2d and leave 3d with Speed and sonic's Unleashed abilities,

for as long as they don't make any of them automated. I like how I suffer a lot of 2D Platforming and Have Some Speed (Not automated, but with variety like the one in the planet wisp video).

with from what i have seen from this video, i find a true balance between High Controllable Speed and 2D Classic Platforming,

just like how Sonic 3&K and Sonic 1 had a good balance between speed and platforming.

I personally Like from what i have seen from planet wisp video Better than the adventure games awkard platforming to be honest.

I just hope the rest of the game has the same balance as planet wisp act 1and with (Thought i don't mind if Act 2,3,4,5,6 Has more 2D than 3D to be honest, although i don't know if that is the case).

that last part had an Awkard Platforming/Level Design.

I don't see how can you have much fun with it.

I personally like the idea on suffering lots of platforming sections in 2D to Be able to Boost Freely in 3D (Ofcourse with variety like planet wisp act 1).

its like the classics, Except that its 2D Platforming and 3D Speed.

Edited by speedduelist

Wohah. did that really happen? AAUK!!!! Well at least its fair enough. :(

I am Sad. how awesome was that video? (not trying to nit pick, but how many 3d parts were their?).

What am I being blamed for now? Yeah totally my doing obviously. I'm not even in the same CONTINENT at the moment, like I know what the heck is going on with SPOnG. :P If they had a video taken down that means they didn't have permission to put it up. SEGA owns the content, SEGA owns the copyright, SEGA can ask to have it taken down. I don't even know who claimed it if that was indeed the case. *shrugs*

Frankly if they went up early they should know better.

What am I being blamed for now? Yeah totally my doing obviously. I'm not even in the same CONTINENT at the moment, like I know what the heck is going on with SPOnG. :P If they had a video taken down that means they didn't have permission to put it up. SEGA owns the content, SEGA owns the copyright, SEGA can ask to have it taken down. I don't even know who claimed it if that was indeed the case. *shrugs*

Frankly if they went up early they should know better.

I meant no offense (I admit i shouldn't have posted your Name right their as i didn't know who pulled it down)

its fair enough (as i mentioned before), but the Awesomeness of Sonic Colors is Worth Breaking the Law for . why can't SEGA Understand that? :P

Edited by speedduelist

It's vaguely flattering, but I'd rather you didn't plagiarize my material, thanks.

(thoroughly excited for this in the 8-year-old part of my consciousness that doesn't realize how much pain and suffering it's taken to get this far)

I don't know what's worse. The fact that you registered JUST to point out your lame copy pasted comment, or the fact that you post has +7 rep and his has -3.

Looks like the hivemind is less predictable than I thought it was.

• Thumbs Up 2

to ArchangelUK :

just wondering, would Dreadknux Or spong in general be allowed to Upload the rest of the videos to public at 12th November?

Pesumably. Or more likely American release date. Not my call.

Thanks for responding. can't wait in any case.

I think the 3D Parts are going to be great.

in the Gamescon [old build that shows an old version of planet wisp] :

the game played its self a lot in that video, Due to many Springs on the Rails that you won't have to push left and right to pass the 3D Part at the beginning and also the Rocket was their Freely without needing to use any Wisp to obtain it.

in this build [the One that is closer to the final build and possibility the final build of the stage] :

they fixed those issues, they added Spikes that force you to quick step on the Wall 3D Part,they removed those Springs that made the game easy&on rails on the Rails part (in the 3D Parts). and they made the rocket wisp harder to obtain. they also made the first 2 red rings harder to obtain. their is a lot of Explorations here and their, take a look at the Rocket Wisp (if Dread wasn't focusing on finishing the level as fast as possible he Would have obtained those rocket wisps and used them to Explore).

I am happy sonic team recognize the issues with sonic unleashed.

Edited by speedduelist

Oh by the way, GameMaster, a British Multiplatform Game Magazine has given Sonic Colour an 86%. They described it as the best 3D sonic game of this generation, yet believe that it's less interesting than Sonic 4: Episode 1 [which got an 87%]. I do have the magazine, but I lack a scanner!

And in other news, Sonic Adventure got 53%, saying it aged badly.

...how is Sonic Colors less interesting than Sonic 4? Sonic turns into a goddamn rocket. It baffles me.

Nostalgia!!!!!!

Obviously.

But....lets not get into that here....

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Just to add, Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 got 79% and Sonic Unleashed got 80% in GameMaster. So take it with a grain of salt.

Nostalgia =/= interesting. Interesting begs more than familiarity.

Interesting is getting seven/eight new alien power ups that you can use is many different ways to progress through a level.

Interesting is not retreading old ground.

And that's all I'm gonna say about that before 'Deal with it' and 'Hurp durp facts and opinions' start up.

EDIT: Ah, really? Well...Unleashed's is pretty accurate, but 06's is being awfully generous. o__o

Edited by Nomad_350