Awoo.

Sonic 4: Episode 1 Impressions, Thoughts, & Help Topic

Agent York

So that's why I never noticed this rolling downhill slowly business.

In the classic games, I always held down the direction I'm going as I rolled down hills and stuff.

This is the point I was making earlier, some, if not most people won't even notice (at first...maybe twice) the problems because they'll be instinctively holding right. I'm starting to think Sega did the "stop in midair" thing on purpose to cater to the Homing Attack.

Also FFFFUUUUUU-!

Edited by Ferno

I played it for awhile for PS3 and after getting used to Sonics awkward movement it got a bit enjoyable. The special stages are nice as well.

Will write more once I played it fully. So far its basically average with a faint nostalgia feel.

Edited by Shade???

Sorry that not all of us can enjoy this game. I find it terrible.

I just love how people fall back on this statement whenever a bunch of people are disappointed in something. Trying to negate the other side's opinion and make them look foolish, yeah real cool.

I've bitched about this game before it was released. I said I wouldn't give it a chance, but I gave it a chance anyway. I now know everything this game has to offer, and none of it is for my tastes.

Hey, I'm not trying to make anyone look foolish.

I'm just making an observation.

Edit: You could replace the word "Sonic" with anything and it would still be mostly true. It doesn't just apply to the Sonic fandom.

Edited by Slash
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sooo, you guys are saying that he only falls straight down when your not putting actual input into the game, but when you've got 'right' pressed down most of the time (like 99% of people who play Sonic games do,) everything is normal and he flies in a normal arc?

Oh Mai Gawd....that is SUCH a reason for RAEG!

FFFFUUUUUUU-!

Worst fucking thing ever, m i rite? Anyway, I played the first 3 zones and have to say I enjoy the game very much. Sure, the physics are pretty funky, but the game itself is a joy to play regardless of that negative. I personally can't wait to see what they have in store for Episode 2 now.

• Thumbs Up 1

You can please some of the people all the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can never please Sonic fans.

EVER.

Especially hardcore purist elitists.

Edit: Fucking butterfingers...

Large group of people = lots of opinions = no large group of humanity will be uniformly pleased. Your first two sentences were correct before you went and fucked it all up. Anybody who says shit like this needs to hang out with a group of people once in a while. You know, in real life.

Oh, and thanks for the insult. Please insult me more for liking to play great games instead of just "okay" ones. Surely, this is a quality that needs to be frowned upon.

• Thumbs Up 2

Large group of people = lots of opinions = no large group of humanity will be uniformly pleased.

I don't know anybody that hates pizza. *Guns pointed in his direction*

Your first two sentences were correct before you went and fucked it all up. Anybody who says shit like this needs to hang out with a group of people once in a while.

Telling him to be more social and/or get a life? Like most of the guys arguing on Youtube say? Classic. And yeah, some fans can't ever be pleased.*gun gets cocked*

Oh, and thanks for the insult. Please insult me more for liking to play great games instead of just "okay" ones. Surely, this is a quality that needs to be frowned upon.

If you guys want a "Great" Sonic game, go track down the members of the first Sonic Team, and let them make it. These are different people here, and they aren't gonna magically know how the other guys did things.

*runs before getting shot*

Also:

Trying to negate the other side's opinion and make them look foolish, yeah, real cool.

This can also work the other way around. Awhile ago I if walked into any topic about Sonic '06, and even hinted that I squeezed some enjoyment out of it, I'd labeled as an idiot and flamed into oblivion. 'kept me away from the Main Sonic discussion for around a year.

*is actually shot*

Edited by Ferno
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sorry that not all of us can enjoy this game. I find it terrible.

I just love how people fall back on this statement whenever a bunch of people are disappointed in something. Trying to negate the other side's opinion and make them look foolish, yeah real cool.

I've bitched about this game before it was released. I said I wouldn't give it a chance, but I gave it a chance anyway. I now know everything this game has to offer, and none of it is for my tastes.

Playing the game isn't giving it a chance. You can't basically denounce the game as utter shit before playing it then say you gave it a chance. You played the game but certainly not with an open mind. And seriously saying "none of it" is for your tastes is a little ridiculous. If none of it is to your tastes then you would have never liked any version of Sonic 4.

• Thumbs Up 1

Large group of people = lots of opinions = no large group of humanity will be uniformly pleased. Your first two sentences were correct before you went and fucked it all up. Anybody who says shit like this needs to hang out with a group of people once in a while. You know, in real life.

Dude, you're taking what was mostly a tongue in cheek comment way too seriously.

I was not insulting you for liking "great" games instead of "okay" games.

And I quote great and okay because what is okay to someone could be great to someone else, and what is great to the masses is shit in someone's perspective, but I digress.

If you want to hate the game, go ahead. I'm just gonna keep enjoying what I think is a fun game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Like Twilight. :V

Like Sonic Unleashed daylight stages. :V

Edited by Legendary Emerald
  • Thumbs Up 2

Playing the game isn't giving it a chance. You can't basically denounce the game as utter shit before playing it then say you gave it a chance. You played the game but certainly not with an open mind. And seriously saying "none of it" is for your tastes is a little ridiculous. If none of it is to your tastes then you would have never liked any version of Sonic 4.

My opinion of the game before I played it was of utter indifference, while thinking of it as dreary and dull looking. I've gone into games that have exceeded my expectations, no matter what I thought of them initially. Sonic 4 failed to meet my already low expectations - it hits rock bottom. I've played acts repeatedly and let myself play by this game's rules. And despite my intent to see this game from start to finish, I can't convince myself that this is an enjoyable game.

But if you don't believe what I think is as important as someone who has played this with an "open mind," well fine. By the way, I never cared about having a "Sonic 4" before this game was announced. When I say this game isn't suited for my tastes, I mean that it's not a good game, not that it's not a proper sequel to the originals.

I beat the game last night and found it pretty awful. I have a lot to say about it, but I'll just say it was a really average game. It's a great thing I wasn't hyped for it, otherwise this probably would've killed me.

Alright so I just beat the game(on PS3 this time) and I must admit it's pretty damn fun even if the physics are different. I love the graphics and even if most of the gameplay is the same as the iPhone the little touches make every thing more interesting, even the wheel of feet, it just makes the game feel faster even when you're moving slow :lol:. The new CSZ2 and LLZ2 are f-ing amazing, both versions of LLZ2 are probably my favorite acts in the game. The new cutscene before EGG Station was a nice through back to Wing Fortress Zone and a hint that fox boy might appear in the future.

FYI: Custom Soundtracks DO work on the PS3 vers. just in case certain themes *coughBossMusiccough* start to get on your nerves.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just finished playing the PSN demo.

I have been a Sonic 4 defender from the start and even I agree that some of the complaints are valid. Sonic's jumping physics are just weird, but I don't think it has anything to do with the physics themselves. It must have more to do with the the input/output functionality of the controls. I'm sure the engine can do aerial momentum just fine, I just think the programmer intentionally made it so you have to use the D-pad or else Sonic will stop dead. I believe the Rush games had this same problem too, but it's much more pronounced in Sonic 4. It's probably for this same reason why the Spin Dash feels so gimped.

Uncurling is just stupid, but I'm sure that's been discussed to death here. Other than those things, it's functional and there is some fun to be had. Hopefully a patch will come out to fix the things mentioned above.

Edited by Machenstein

These are different people here, and they aren't gonna magically know how the other guys did things.

This is silly logic. Okay, sure, maybe the guys who did this stuff DON'T know how to make a good genesis-style game. But you know what you do in that case, when tying to make a Genesis game? You hire other people. If these guys are not equipped to do the job, then they should not be doing it.

I mean, this is not some magical thing. We already know that other people CAN do the same job. Shit, some fans can do the job better than these guys, for free. So, again, why are these guys getting paid to do a job they can't do?

The solution isn't to just grin and bear it. The solution is to hire someone who can do the goddamn job.

If you guys want a "Great" Sonic game, go track down the members of the first Sonic Team, and let them make it. These are different people here, and they aren't gonna magically know how the other guys did things.

That

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygtkN6IWbvc. The resources to make a great Sonic game are there for anybody to use. It's not "magic." It's "hard work" and "knowledge." I mean, fans are already fixing the physics in Sonic 4. Endri's in the middle of that right now.

Stopping dead when letting go of the D-pad is easily the most infuriating part of this game. That doesn't require "changes to the level design" to fix. Unacceptable. I would be glowing about this game if it weren't for engine issues. They fix 'em for the next go-'round and they have a winner.

TSS reviews from every front page staffer are coming on Monday, by the way. Stay tuned.

EDIT: Thanks for the link, Joshi.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Thumbs Up 1

Those are fans.

Fans know what they remember. Fans know what they want in their games.

Dimps are not the fans. Heck, I'll bet some of them never even played the original games, and their only point of reference were the handheld titles they helped make.

This is silly logic. Okay, sure, maybe the guys who did this stuff DON'T know how to make a good genesis-style game. But you know what you do in that case, when tying to make a Genesis game? You hire other people. If these guys are not equipped to do the job, then they should not be doing it.

Because giving the team that's been there for awhile the boot and looking for new guys in between games is very smart. Time is money, and frankly, even if the team's just making 'okay' games, the bucks are rolling in. It's all about the green stuff.

I mean, this is not some magical thing. We already know that other people CAN do the same job. Shit, some fans can do the job better than these guys, for free. So, again, why are these guys getting paid to do a job they can't do?

Those guys may be doing it for free but they have passion for their work, a drive that motivates them that's more important that money. The guys at Dimps? They're trying to put bread on the table. Simple logic. Game comes out $$$'s made, sad but true. And apparently, Sega think's their doing their job well, regardless of what we think.

The solution isn't to just grin and bear it. The solution is to hire someone who can do the goddamn job

But I like smiling, it warms the soul.

Edited by Ferno

Smiling IS great, and yeah I would recommend doing it either way.

I understand the logic behind retaining these guys. They have experience with Sonic, they've shown they can do a job, and it's obviously easier to just use what's on-hand than go after what's best, as long as these guys are "good enough."

But what I'm getting at is your (unintended?) implication that only the original team can make a game like the originals. That's just not the case, and if the goal really is to make the best classic-style Sonic they can make it would behove them to use capable talent.

But that's not the goal, so I suppose it's all very beside the point.

Dimps made Sonic Pocket Adventure and the first Sonic Advance. Despite my disinterest in those titles, they had physics that were tolerable, cooperative, and not at all distracting. Why couldn't they have done this for Sonic 4?

I honestly would like Sonic 4 a lot more if it weren't for how terribly it plays. I find the level design to be largely inoffensive, if not somewhat unmemorable and tedious at parts. I think the Special Stages are atrocious, but that's the case with a lot of Sonic games. The graphics and music? They're bleh, but whatever. My numerous gripes about this game aside, I primarily don't like Sonic 4 because I don't like how it plays. If a physics hack really does come out for this game, I would honestly play it with more enthusiasm, like how I did with Sonic Advance before I got bored of it permanently.

So I disagree. Dimps is capable of making a physics engine for a classic-styled game that doesn't blow ass. They just apparently don't want to.

• Thumbs Up 1

In less than 3 hours, I've beaten every act, every boss, and gotten 4 of the Chaos Emeralds.

This game is overpriced. SEGA, make the subsequent episodes $10 next time, please. I love this game, I truly do, but it ain't worth $15.

• Thumbs Up 1

Played the demo, it's garbage. Controls are unbelievable stiff, enemy placement is Dimps (count the times a spring send you towards a HA chain with no warning), and and a single level manages to feel monotonous.

But back to the controls, you still accelerate at the speed, now the wheel of feet just starts at a slower speed. I got the hilarious impression for a moment that I was doing the "slow run", a novel but mostly useless advanced technique that you can do as Sonic in SSBB. I knew that Sonic stopped dead in the air upon releasing the D-Pad, but I didn't realize that a similar thing happened on the ground as well. Going downhill, there's little difference in stopping distance between screeching and just releasing the D-Pad. I'd wager that they're virtually identical on level ground but can't think of a repeatable way to test it. I'd just wait a week for the inevitable level editor, but I doubt anyone cares enough to bother making making such a thing. This tendency to stop dead makes the game unbelievably sluggish any time Sonic isn't being impelled.

How far have standards for platformers fallen when a game like this gets such high scores? Oh, wait, it's a 2D Sonic game, so it uses the 7-10 review scale instead of the 1-10 scale.

Anyone 'not having fun because of the physics' you know just 'tested' the game instead of played it... You know... The folks that straight away started jumping over speed boosters, spinning where they're not supposed to, stopping on loops, when they know that's not how you're supposed to be playing... You know who you are.

So, what, you looked through the internet to see how other people were playing the game?

I have a fun thing to try, go and play one of the genesis games immodestly after playing some Sonic 4. Better yet, do the exact opposite, pick a level with some tough jumps like Flying Battery Zone (Or Labyrinth Zone if you've got the stones) and then play Sonic 4. See if it feels like Sonic is wading through pudding or not. I think I'll do that right now, minus the Sonic 4 part, of course.

• Thumbs Up 3

How far have standards for platformers fallen when a game like this gets such high scores? Oh, wait, it's a 2D Sonic game, so it uses the 7-10 review scale instead of the 1-10 scale.

OR, maybe you're just in the minority? I know, shocking. People on the internet, disagreeing with you. What kind of world do we live in?

• Thumbs Up 4