Awoo.

Sonic 4: Episode 1 Impressions, Thoughts, & Help Topic

Agent York

It gives you more control tough,basicilly it's like playing a 3D marble Labyrinth game that took out all of the momentum physics of the ball,it's like you tilt the platform and the ball moves, and you even kilter and the ball stops dead.

More control? Did you ever have trouble making jumps in the old games because you didn't come to a dead stop?

Edited by ChikaBoing

I can deal with the weird physics in Sonic 4. However, I might not have bought the game if I had realized how short it would be. It's only about $10 worth of content, and it costs $15 on the Wii. Also, it doesn't support the Classic Controller, which is a huge oversight.

As much as I like the bonus stages, the restitution is TERRIBLE. You don't bounce straight up after hitting an angle. No surface does that.

I hate how SEGA/Dimps assumes that everyone has a widescreen TV to play on... the view is very zoomed in, and when I was talking to my brother about how all the bosses are rehashes, he said, "Na, look, you have more space!" (I was fighting the Green Hill rehash boss). It's also annoying when Sonic homing attacks onto something off-screen.

And I know this has been mentioned too many times, but... physics suck, too much rehashed, blah blah blah, and it fails as a sequel to Sonic 3 & Knuckles. It fails REALLY HARD (If it was called something else, then I wouldn't have much of a problem with it. It's just that it's completely undeserving of the title, "Sonic 4").

Edited by Chaos Rush

• 3 weeks later...

I don't mind the physics in this game so much. The ability to stand on walls is pretty silly though, I will say that. Spin Dashing and jumping when you hit a hill will launch you just as it did in Sonic Adventure. Rolling doesn't gain you the same amount of speed as it used to, instead it's running that gets you more speed, as it should be. The fastest thing alive really should be able to outrun the act of rolling if you ask me. This game is pretty short, but it is pretty much the same length as Sonic 3, which only feels longer for containibng more bosses, and minibosses. Sonic 3 was also half a game, like this is. I haven't got many complaints about this game, but the ones I do have are purely asthetic. Music is lame, and I cant stand the Rolling and Spindashing sound effects being switched. Other than those little things, this is probably the best Sonic for me since Adventure 2 and Advance 1 ( keeping in midn I havent played Colors ) ...I approve of this game and cannot wait for episode 2.

Out of curiosity, did this bother anyone else?

sonic3slope.png

sonic4slope.png

Sonic 3 doesn't look excellent, but at least he's stood straight up, you know, like you would. But you know, that's 1994. So in 2010 he stands perpendicular to the ground at all times. It looks awful. How do you even balance like that? Sonic's a 3D model now, he should be bending his knees and ankles to make for a more realistic stance.

sonic3slope.png

sonic4slope.png

Sonic 3 doesn't look excellent, but at least he's stood straight up, you know, like you would. But you know, that's 1994. So in 2010 he stands perpendicular to the ground at all times. It looks awful. How do you even balance like that? Sonic's a 3D model now, he should be bending his knees and ankles to make for a more realistic stance.

I know it drove me crazy. It just looks stupid, it's like he has glue on the bottom of his shoes.

I know it drove me crazy. It just looks stupid, it's like he has glue on the bottom of his shoes.

Strange thing is....in a sense....he does!!

Anyway. Yeah it bothers me. I don't mind it when he's running; because its appropriate, but when standing still?

Nah. Another one of the things that *ahem* GOTTA GO.

I liked the new game.

The levels are pretty nice and like the music gave me that feel of older sonic games.

I mean Splash Hill zone reminds me like a mixture of Green Hill zone and Emerald hill zone.

And the special stage, I mean that's a no brainier where that came from. (For those of you who sadly don't know sonic 1. oh wait. Spoiler alert!)

I have episode one on my Wii and on my iPod touch. And I like it better on the wii but thats because of the console and not the game itself.

I just can't deal with the touch screen d-pad.

And overall?

It does bring back memories even if he has green eyes which personally don't see as a prob. Now Knuckles his are purple that's not normal. But anyways.

A very well done game. And in any case it shows that SEGA and sonic team are heading in the right direction.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I liked the new game.

The levels are pretty nice and like the music gave me that feel of older sonic games.

I mean Splash Hill zone reminds me like a mixture of Green Hill zone and Emerald hill zone.

And the special stage, I mean that's a no brainier where that came from. (For those of you who sadly don't know sonic 1. oh wait. Spoiler alert!)

I have episode one on my Wii and on my iPod touch. And I like it better on the wii but thats because of the console and not the game itself.

I just can't deal with the touch screen d-pad.

And overall?

It does bring back memories even if he has green eyes which personally don't see as a prob. Now Knuckles his are purple that's not normal. But anyways.

A very well done game. And in any case it shows that SEGA and sonic team are heading in the right direction.

One thing what is bugging me at the moment is the lives counter IT'S INSANE I have over 781 lives on my XBLA save and that is quite messed up to be quite honest, I really hope that DIMPS sorts this out next episode and limits it to 99 lives or just make the game less lives it's just mad I haven't collect this many lives in one game before.

I can see the physics problems much clearer than I did before (besides the walking on walls shit XD)after playing the Rush games alot more since I own them now (love the Rush games <3) and once I started Sonic 4 again it just felt so horrible to play so I understand better now after playing the Rush games lol.

One thing what is bugging me at the moment is the lives counter IT'S INSANE I have over 781 lives on my XBLA save and that is quite messed up to be quite honest, I really hope that DIMPS sorts this out next episode and limits it to 99 lives or just make the game less lives it's just mad I haven't collect this many lives in one game before.

Edited by CobraRoll

sonic3slope.png

sonic4slope.png

Now that you mention it, it IS kinda retarded XD

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, been playing Sonic 4.

It's... average at best tbh. It's not the physics that bother me, but the controls are horrible. You stop as soon as you let go of the controller. INSTANTLY. This makes platforming a crapshoot. These aren't Rush controls - they're WORSE. The spin dash is horribly gimped too, which is bad as you have no boost. Worse still, all my deaths have been pretty cheap - things like the Lost Labyrinth boss have been giving me grief (yay for DYING instantly if you don't memorise a pattern!) and I just ragequit there for now. I've got to the point where I've been able to get into the special ring at the end of a level, but the poor controls mean I just fail to do so somehow because I'm trying to play old school, I guess :S Also the special stages are hard as fuck - I got one emerald, but I bet the others are gonna be MUCH worse.

I'm kind of not liking this much tbh, and it's really fucking expensive as well - it costs more than Symphony of the Night, which I just came from to this, and that game is fucking incredible!

Okay, been playing Sonic 4.

It's... average at best tbh. It's not the physics that bother me, but the controls are horrible. You stop as soon as you let go of the controller. INSTANTLY. This makes platforming a crapshoot. These aren't Rush controls - they're WORSE. The spin dash is horribly gimped too, which is bad as you have no boost. Worse still, all my deaths have been pretty cheap - things like the Lost Labyrinth boss have been giving me grief (yay for DYING instantly if you don't memorise a pattern!) and I just ragequit there for now. I've got to the point where I've been able to get into the special ring at the end of a level, but the poor controls mean I just fail to do so somehow because I'm trying to play old school, I guess :S Also the special stages are hard as fuck - I got one emerald, but I bet the others are gonna be MUCH worse.

I'm kind of not liking this much tbh, and it's really fucking expensive as well - it costs more than Symphony of the Night, which I just came from to this, and that game is fucking incredible!

Agreed on the bolded part. Also yeah, symphony of the night is 210382109830123 better than s4e1 and cheaper as well. Crazy stuff

Edited by Jaouad