Awoo.

Sonic 4: Episode 1 Impressions, Thoughts, & Help Topic

Agent York

Btw should we have a leader board topic?

I just ranked first for the Seventh special stage! I BEAT YOU KYLE!

Edit: My name is MIKE in uppercase letters on the leader boards =P

Edited by Jetronic

I gave in and downloaded the Wii version. My will was just too weak... Well that and my brother's borrowing my PS3 at the moment.

I gotta say this game is fun. Despite some physic problems such as the aforementioned stop at a dime thing, this feels like a classic Sonic game. The graphics are very pretty and even though the music is all midi, it's not too bad(except for maybe the boss theme).

The only real problem I have with this game is that it's so zoomed in on Sonic you can't really see what's ahead of you.

Other than that, I'm having a blast.

Are you playing on a 4:3 TV? I have heard others mention the zoom in look.

Are you playing on a 4:3 TV? I have heard others mention the zoom in look.

Edited by Slash

So I wadded up while waiting for the 360 version on Wednesday (sorry, but I'm not going on the retard list there XD). God, Sonic is so fraggin sluggish. I still don't think I'm used to it.

Anywho, CSZ3 and 4th special stage can go bone themselves. That's right, not the 7th, the FOURTH. The 7th was a PANSY compared to 4th. God darned troll bumpers EVERYWHERE. Meanwhile CSZ3 was so slow and sluggish, it made me dread the thought of playing as Knuckles in future episodes. At least he can climb though.

Anywho, Super Sonic music is god tier once again. In fact, I just love being Super Sonic. This game gets a pass from me for that alone.

The whole standing on walls thing... I've managed to pull it off once on the iPhone, not sure how the console one is but people keep posting images of it but it's so hard to actually achieve, it's like a random glitch which doesn't happen very often anyway, so we shouldn't keep judging the game on that.

The whole standing on walls thing... I've managed to pull it off once on the iPhone, not sure how the console one is but people keep posting images of it but it's so hard to actually achieve, it's like a random glitch which doesn't happen very often anyway, so we shouldn't keep judging the game on that.

It seems to happen all the time. But that behaviour is the least of the games troubles.

If you say so. I think it's fantastic.

If you say so. I think it's awful.

Opinions, eh?

Yeah, pretty much.

Just don't ever try to prove me wrong on something in the future by quoting a review, like so many do. ;)

Edited by DistantJ
  • Thumbs Up 1

dsc00254ne.jpg

Sonic 4's physics kept me entertained for a bit.

So I've got the Wii version until the PS3 version comes out, and something is bugging me about the 'full speed' look. Is it me, or does the sprite of Sonic double? He appears to gain extra spikes, and the effect is too subtle to be a speed effect. It annoys the hell out of me. Also, the graphics look flat and dull compared to the HD versions. Maybe it's because I'm playing it on an HD TV? Who knows. Other than that, the game is fun! Well worth the wait.

*LOL Sonic 4 physics pic*

Sonic 4's physics kept me entertained for a bit.

So I've got the Wii version until the PS3 version comes out, and something is bugging me about the 'full speed' look. Is it me, or does the sprite of Sonic double? He appears to gain extra spikes, and the effect is too subtle to be a speed effect. It annoys the hell out of me. Also, the graphics look flat and dull compared to the HD versions. Maybe it's because I'm playing it on an HD TV? Who knows. Other than that, the game is fun! Well worth the wait.

That's the Wii blur effect. It's a little worse than the HD one.

Wait a minute.

I just realized... this is a good Sonic game. Like really... not half good, not good with some bad parts you need to overlook, no gimmicks, no werehog, knights, magic carpets, hoverboards, glitches or anything. Just a good, overall Sonic game.

NO WAY!!

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Wait a minute.

I just realized... this is a good Sonic game. Like really... not half good, not good with some bad parts you need to overlook, no gimmicks, no werehog, knights, magic carpets, hoverboards, glitches or anything. Just a good, overall Sonic game.

NO WAY!!

I think it's more of a poor Sonic game. Like really... half good, with lots of bad parts that are hard to overlook, good gimmicks, no Werehog, knights, magic carpet, hoverboards and with plenty of bad programming. Just a strange Sonic game that is utterly polarised in what's good and what's not.

Ultimately I think it's a fairly poor game. Fun to play (if you play it right), but it's soulless, lazy and made entirely for a quick buck. It's saddening.

Also not this: The physics not being right is fact. Whether or not you find them to be a bother is opinion.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

I'm only going to ever play this game if I can get it for free (and at the same time, I don't care enough to pirate it). Well, I also don't own any of the consoles it's on.

Question:

Why is it being said this game is getting released on the PSN TODAY? From everything I have ever learned about the PSN, it never updates the store until around 6:00 or 8:00 pm on THURSDAYS. Why would they switch to Tuesday just for this game?

Idk. HOPEFULLY it will be released today, but its a bit silly no matter what. And we will be waiting quite a few more hours even if it is released today in the states.

Question:

Why is it being said this game is getting released on the PSN TODAY? From everything I have ever learned about the PSN, it never updates the store until around 6:00 or 8:00 pm on THURSDAYS. Why would they switch to Tuesday just for this game?

Idk. HOPEFULLY it will be released today, but its a bit silly no matter what. And we will be waiting quite a few more hours even if it is released today in the states.

First, SEGA announced the date and second, the PS Store update scheduled days got changed a while back. It now updates on a Tuesday in the U.S. and Wednesday in Europe.

First, SEGA announced the date and second, the PS Store update scheduled days got changed a while back. It now updates on a Tuesday in the U.S. and Wednesday in Europe.

Heh, yep. I had just checked google to see if they'd change the update day, and found out that bit of information.

Well, still have at least five hours until the game is released on my end.

So.

Got to play a couple levels at a mate's.

He illegally downloaded it if you must know.....but still it wasn't me....so don't kill me

Yeah, that there physics, are all wrong. The fact that even normal basic Laws of physics like mid-air inertia, that should be coded into the physics engine of EVERY game inexistance, just pisses me off.

I mean really. The level design is SO VERY good, but its hindered by the physics. That's right, the physics make the really good level layouts seem bad.

The shitty positioning and exessive usage of spings and dash-pads is probably to make up for the poor physics.

Also, Sonic can change direction in the air a little too well. In terms of control, yeah its good, but it doesn't feel right. Half the time you expect to not be able to switch directions mid-jump, but on occasion you can, espcially a low speeds. It just shouldn't happen.

Another issue is the fact that Sonic seems to have WAY too much friction. According to Dude at Retro, its not the acceleration or nerfed Spindash, they apprently seemed to have set the friction values too high.

So shouldn't be too hard to change for the next episode.........it had better happen Dimps.

Also, would it be possible that the reason Sonic clings to walls (other than the spastic convex curves/hills) is because of the increased friction? Friction is also known as traction, so it could make sense. That and the exuberantly high gravity fucks shit up.

Other than that, its a pretty good game. Is it the best 2D Sonic game? No not by a longshot, it has a HUGE mountain to climb before ever achieving that status. It is however the best 2D Sonic game to have come out in the past decade.

Episode better have changed the physics. If they changed up the physics, then the speedboosters and springs wouldn't be needed and you could have reliable platforming.

I'll be getting the PS3 version for myself at a later date. See if my opinion changes.

As it stands 6.5/10

So.

Got to play a couple levels at a mate's.

He illegally downloaded it if you must know.....but still it wasn't me....so don't kill me

Yeah, that there physics, are all wrong. The fact that even normal basic Laws of physics like mid-air inertia, that should be coded into the physics engine of EVERY game inexistance, just pisses me off.

I mean really. The level design is SO VERY good, but its hindered by the physics. That's right, the physics make the really good level layouts seem bad.

The shitty positioning and exessive usage of spings and dash-pads is probably to make up for the poor physics.

Also, Sonic can change direction in the air a little too well. In terms of control, yeah its good, but it doesn't feel right. Half the time you expect to not be able to switch directions mid-jump, but on occasion you can, espcially a low speeds. It just shouldn't happen.

Another issue is the fact that Sonic seems to have WAY too much friction. According to Dude at Retro, its not the acceleration or nerfed Spindash, they apprently seemed to have set the friction values too high.

So shouldn't be too hard to change for the next episode.........it had better happen Dimps.

Also, would it be possible that the reason Sonic clings to walls (other than the spastic convex curves/hills) is because of the increased friction? Friction is also known as traction, so it could make sense. That and the exuberantly high gravity fucks shit up.

Other than that, its a pretty good game. Is it the best 2D Sonic game? No not by a longshot, it has a HUGE mountain to climb before ever achieving that status. It is however the best 2D Sonic game to have come out in the past decade.

Episode better have changed the physics. If they changed up the physics, then the speedboosters and springs wouldn't be needed and you could have reliable platforming.

I'll be getting the PS3 version for myself at a later date. See if my opinion changes.

As it stands 6.5/10

If you played an illegally downloaded version, it is likely you only played the old build. I'm fairly positive the final build hasn't leaked on any platform as of yet. And even though the final version apparently won't be physics-perfect either, it is still supposed to be MUCH improved.

If you played an illegally downloaded version, it is likely you only played the old build. I'm fairly positive the final build hasn't leaked on any platform as of yet. And even though the final version apparently won't be physics-perfect either, it is still supposed to be MUCH improved.

Uh..it's out on the Wii bro >_>

Uh..it's out on the Wii bro >_>

Uh, yeah. Doesn't change the fact that he played an illegally downloaded version. I mean, I'll admit to not knowing a lot about WiiWare hacking, but I don't know that whenever a game is released, you can get it for free so simply. Could be wrong, though.

Either way, illegally downloading a game that is just being released is a bit dickish in my mind, but I'm being a bit hypocritical, what with all the roms I've downloaded in the past.

As Aquaslash said, it's out on the Wii and we were all playing it on emulators within hours. From what I can tell it's really not much improves at all. CSZ2 and LLZ2 are the only big changes and everything else is aesthetic. Not even the acceleration was changed. Wheel-o-feet happens at a lower speed not because he gains speed faster.