Awoo.

Sonic 4: Episode 1 Impressions, Thoughts, & Help Topic

Agent York

A lot of people really seem to be hung up on standing on walls.

I was gonna vote this up but I've reached my "+1" limit for the day. D:

That was funny though. XD Nothin' like a well dun pun.

A lot of people really seem to be hung up on standing on walls.

I for one never had this problem... I was too busy playing the game and making an effort ot move through the stage, instead of stopping on a hill taking photos.

• Thumbs Up 5

I for one never had this problem... I was too busy playing the game and making an effort ot move through the stage, instead of stopping on a hill taking photos.

I love how everyone is going out of their way, to make the game seem bad.

I thought so at first, too, but after figuring it all out, it isn't so bad (it's certainly easier than the boss it's based on, anyway). I usually end up taking a hit when he starts leaping around, tho'...there's not much time to get into the safe spot.

Ok, let's be honest. If Sonic 2's final boss gave us at least 3 rings, it would be a cake walk.

• Thumbs Up 1

I didn't even mean to stand on a wall, it kinda just happened.

There are certain slopes where is happens just from not playing the game 'correctly'. Granted I've had a blast examining the physics... It's somewhat ignorable though unlike the pinball behaviour.

Again your mileage really may vary. It's a wating game to see what E2 actually does now.

Edited by Blue Blood

in the news:

Sonic 4 gets great reviews, praise from journalists.

Sonic fans furious.

Nah, most fans like it. A few of us merely hate it and spend all out time bitching instead of not caring. I'm kind of torn on what I think of the game. It depends how I look at it.

Hmm...

in the news:

Sonic 4 gets great reviews, praise from journalists.

Sonic fans furious.

It's just like Heroes, and the opposite of Unleashed.

The day both are pleased will be teh end of the wurld.

Edited by Ferno

Wow, guys, this one thing, this ONE little thing, which we have to be shown screenshots to even be able to NOTICE, is the only real problem with Sonic 4? SEGA landed a damn good game here!

Anyone 'not having fun because of the physics' you know just 'tested' the game instead of played it... You know... The folks that straight away started jumping over speed boosters, spinning where they're not supposed to, stopping on loops, when they know that's not how you're supposed to be playing... You know who you are.

Also not this: The physics not being right is fact. Whether or not you find them to be a bother is opinion.

Somebody needs to refer to the Arthur Facts vs Opinions thing. They're not WRONG they're just different. The standing on walls thing is so hard to reproduce, I can never get him to do it. If you have complaints other than that, they're preference and that is opinion.

lazy and made entirely for a quick buck

Is that why it was delayed for like 5 months to make it better?

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Bad Quality Post 2

In support of that last statement, if they had released it in June/July, it would have made just as much money as it did now. They just wasted 5 months worth of wages in doing a little.

It was economically a poor decision to delay as it increased production costs, and thus raised the price, thus turning off people who think its too expensive.

Sonic 4 is on the right track with their attitude towards it. Now we'd better hope and demand they fix the shitty elements by Episode II, and they had better have lock-on which patches the Speed Boosters, physics and a few small level design elements.

You know, somehow I fucking knew this was going to happen. Certain people piss and moan and bitch that no one is allowed to not like the game because they haven't played it yet. And when the latter group does play the game, the former group then just decides to piss and moan and bitch that the latter group wasn't playing it right (whatever the hell that means), because surely no one could find fault where there is none. :rolleyes:

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

Somebody needs to refer to the Arthur Facts vs Opinions thing. They're not WRONG they're just different. The standing on walls thing is so hard to reproduce, I can never get him to do it. If you have complaints other than that, they're preference and that is opinion.

No. Shoot Sonic out of a cannon. He should move in an arc shape but instead he falls straight down (as in perpendicular to the ground) as soon as he has reached maximum height. The same applies to any of Sonic's air movement. Does it matter to you? No? Cool, that's your opinion. But the physics aren't right (fact). The air inertia is terrible (opinion).

That honestly confuses me. Really it does. The delay seems so... pointless. They changed two acts that should never have been made the way they were in the first place. And like, nothing else of substance.

Also what Speederino said below. Different physic doesn't mean bad physics (compare any Advance game to the classics), but the Sonic 4 physics are.

Edited by Blue Blood

I stood on a wall once. And you know what? Whoop-dee-doo. I couldn't walk up the slope, so I jumped off and spin-dashed up it. Problem solved. Is this one teeny thing really a game breaker for some people? The rest of the game feels perfectly fine to me, outside of a couple frustrating segments.

Different physics =\= automatically bad. (Granted, I'm not looking to start any arguments here. This is just the way I see it)

Edited by Speederino
  • Thumbs Up 2

Just got done playing the (Japanese) PSN demo.

Dimps/Sonic Team, before you guys even smart designing Episode 2. Never, and I mean NEVER, put a chain of Bubbles in the air after a spring pad ever again. It took me four tries before I could take the upper route correctly, and every time it was the same thing. I hit a spring pad, sail through the air all cool like, and then smack my face right into a Bubbles enemy that I couldn't possibly see coming unless I memorized it.

WHAT. THE. HELL.

I really hope the rest of the game isn't fill with moments like that.

Aside from that, I enjoyed it more that I thought I would. I was stunned by how nice and crisp the game looked on my TV; they sure didn't slack on the graphical presentation. I went through the stage at least 10 times exploring the upper, lower, and middle routes, and mixing it up inbetween. And I'm really liking the sound. Not mind-blowing, but it meshes with the gameplay nicely.

It is a bit annoying how Sonic loses all his his after Spin Dashing off a platform though, unless I'm holding down in the right direction.

And uncurling still sucks.

But none of that's a deal breaker. Level design is my main attraction to Sonic games, and it held up very nicely in the demo. If the rest of the game gets better from here, I think I'm game.

Anyone 'not having fun because of the physics' you know just 'tested' the game instead of played it... You know... The folks that straight away started jumping over speed boosters, spinning where they're not supposed to, stopping on loops, when they know that's not how you're supposed to be playing... You know who you are.

Oh no, now you're complaining that people who have played the game aren't playing it right.

Well that's fantastic.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's just like Heroes, and the opposite of Unleashed.

The day both are pleased will be teh end of the wurld.

We only have one month to live? D:

• Thumbs Up 1

Different physics =\= automatically bad. (Granted, I'm not looking to start any arguments here. This is just the way I see it)

Exactly. We were discussing this over at SEGAbits (plug plug) and I equated it to JSR versus JSRF. Both games operate differently yet they work in their own worlds. Toss JSR Beat into the JSRF world and he'd fail left and right. Same goes for tossing JSRF physics into a JSR stage. Point is the physics differ from classic and modern, but both worlds are designed with the physics in mind. I'll bet if the planet Earth had gravity that was a tad lighter, all of the Earth would look a little different but everything would work.

Like you said, different =/= bad

• Thumbs Up 1

No. Shoot Sonic out of a cannon. He should move in an arc shape but instead he falls straight down (as in perpendicular to the ground) as soon as he has reached maximum height. ... But the physics aren't right (fact).

So that breaks every CastleVania game too then? Honestly I didn't even notice what you were saying. And the physics, of course they aren't 'right', if the physics were 'right', you wouldn't be able to run upside-down on a ceiling, no matter how fast you were running. If the physics were 'right', you wouldn't be able to steer a jump after you'd left the ground (Sonic '06 'mach speed' sections style.......). You didn't get along with the style of physics they went with. That's fine. You expected the cannons to do an arc and fired yourself off in the wrong direction, and that made the level awkward to you. That's fine. That's you. But you're all up here putting words like 'fact' into your posts, acting like you know better somehow.

The jumping inertia seems odd, I hadn't had any experience of it on the iPhone version, as in haven't noticed it, but I can see why it'd be jarring, but I feel that they possibly have included this for the sake of being able to land on a platform after a large jump etc.

In support of that last statement, if they had released it in June/July, it would have made just as much money as it did now

What kind of logic brought you to that conclusion?

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh no, now you're complaining that people who have played the game aren't playing it right.

Well that's fantastic.

Well I have counted at least two people on here so far who have openly admitted to playing it just to test the physics... So I do think there is a hint of people only playing it to deliberately find problems with it, in a specific manner that the vast majority are not doing.

Only I do find it a little odd that out of everybody who has played it, only those who constantly bashed it or who had banners in their signatures are the ones complaining about something that the vast majority either ignored or just didn't notice.

So that breaks every CastleVania game too then? Honestly I didn't even notice what you were saying. And the physics, of course they aren't 'right', if the physics were 'right', you wouldn't be able to run upside-down on a ceiling, no matter how fast you were running. If the physics were 'right', you wouldn't be able to steer a jump after you'd left the ground (Sonic '06 'mach speed' sections style.......). You didn't get along with the style of physics they went with. That's fine. You expected the cannons to do an arc and fired yourself off in the wrong direction, and that made the level awkward to you. That's fine. That's you. But you're all up here putting words like 'fact' into your posts, acting like you know better somehow.

There are liberties to taken with the physics in just about any game. In a game about speed, an instant loss of momentum isn't one of them.

Cas: I can't think of anyone who played to just to test the physics. I played through SHZ1 normally twice first before I decided to test everything out in detail. If the vast majority don't notice or just ignore what others identify as problems (deal-breaking or otherwise) then that's fine. We all like different things, right?

Edited by Blue Blood

Well I have counted at least two people on here so far who have openly admitted to playing it just to test the physics... So I do think there is a hint of people only playing it to deliberately find problems with it, in a specific manner that the vast majority are not doing.

Only I do find it a little odd that out of everybody who has played it, only those who constantly bashed it or who had banners in their signatures are the ones complaining about something that the vast majority either ignored or just didn't notice.

This.

Yeah, I even saw footage of people at SoS who queued up just to play it like a moron, jumping in all the wrong places, doing strange manoeuvres, fiddling around with a game in ways it wasn't intended to be fiddled around with, so they could find things wrong with the physics, then to proceed to say "it's not very good"... No use in just 'testing' the game, just PLAY it. Perhaps the wall standing thing is something one can pull off by messing around, but it doesn't occur during gameplay if you just play the game, which is why I've only ever encountered it once and none of the reviews mention it.