Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

What's wrong with that cover? Personally I prefer Spaz's rendition of SA style artwork than his original stuff, but all his work is good. That picture is awesome, sure it's a different style, but I fail to see how it is ugly?? He draws Sonic well he draws Eggman well, they have detail, they have great positioning as in the cover flows well, the colour scheme works - it portrays overall a great sense of what the issue is about, the shock and foreboding plot.

I'd love to be able to draw even remotely as good as that! Look at that triptec of issues #162,#163,& #164 that Sapz did, THAT is artwork!

Try to stand in that pose for more than ten seconds and then say that again. As an artist myself I can tell you that little thought went into showing a believable center of balance there. Also the perspective borked to hell, his legs and feet are drawn from a high angle while his chest, arms and head are in a low angle. If he's meant to be standing on solid ground in that pose it looks like he twisted his right ankle while trying to mimic Neo's 360 bullet dodging sequence from the Matrix. If it's actually suppose to be a falling pose of some sort, his limbs and hedges fail to illustrate that motion.

I think it's terrible. Seriously, compare this:

sth213_0.jpg

to the picture above. It's like comparing the Mona Lisa to a childs finger painting. I can't begin to describe how bland and undetailed Yardleys style is, it puts me off the comic somewhat as I am kinda superficial and love a good cover :\

Just look at that triptec of issues #162,#163,& #164 that Spaz did, THAT is artwork! I just can't take Yardley's work seriously as a cover and can't see how anyone else can, when compared to the quality of other comic books out there this pales vastly in comparison.

True, Yardley's art for that cover may lack the superb, epic coloring, detail and perspective of Spaz's early work but it doesn't need it. #213 features Big prominently and as such has a much more light-hearted and comical tone than the issues you're praising from Spaz. The simple figures and coloring fit the story but unlike this the figures are actually posed and proportioned well.

Edited by Dat Blossum Bat Guy

I'm not really liking that cover.

Tails' mouth looks like it's about to swallow the entire universe.

Also, sexual inneundo from Bunnie? Really?? HOW YOU GONNA HAVE SEX BUNNIE YOUR VAGINA IS MADE OF COLD HARD STEEL

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I love that the Cocoa Island is drawn EXACTLY THE SAME as in the game:

Cocoa_Island.PNG

Awesomes

I like Tails in the cover, it reminds me of his Sonic Adventure ending pose (the one before the credits).

I also don't find anything wrong with Tails mouth, maybe it's because I have seen things way worse than that. *shivers just thinking about that Amy cover in episode 210*

Also, sexual inneundo from Bunnie? Really?? HOW YOU GONNA HAVE SEX BUNNIE YOUR VAGINA IS MADE OF COLD HARD STEEL

You silly neanderthal, science has made a lot of progresess lately... :P

I mean... They had kids in thoose *insert random number of years* later arcs (though completely non-cannonical even in the archieverse)... there has to be a way. :blink:

*goes to shoot himself for bringin this out*

Edited by imarafan

I just love that Tails has his own private island. If that doesn't scream "I'm gonna be an evil genius and take over the whole universe when I grow up!" then I don't know what does XD;;

And yeah, I love how loyal the map is to the in-game map ♥ Sweet!

It's difficult, but certain places will get them in for you. Forbidden Planet, for example. Although if you want them on subscription, I think you have to have a minimum subscription of at least 3 different comics... at least, last time I checked. Otherwise, there's eBay etc if you don't mind waiting a bit. Personally, I download mine from TKA and then get them sent to me from America in bulk a few times a year. So I do actually buy 'em, but I read them online first since I'm impatient :3

You see this is why I'm reading the series again. Kukkus. Ha ha, this is gonna be great.

Also, is Sonic X worth it? I get obsessive once I start buying these. Should I be trying to read them?

• Sonic News

Sonic X's quality is pretty mixed. Some of them are terrible, some are brilliant. Anything with El Gran Gordo is pretty much garunteed to be good though.

The Sonic X comics have some of the most hilarious dialogue ever. They also fare well from having less Chris and (naturally) no voice actors :3 I really don't like the Sonic X cartoon, but I enjoyed the comics, even if I prefer the main Archie Sonic series best of all.

Oh, but some of the art is ATROCIOUS. I mean, bootleg quality atrocious. Sure, it can get pretty bad in the main comics too, but the Sonic X ones have a special kind of horrible that you have to see to believe ^^;

I like what I see in that Tails Adventure comic! Reminds me of the days I collected (I dropped out when I learned there wasn't to be a Sonic Adventure 2 adaptation). Well adapted game plot with light appearances of SatAM characters.

Love that the Kuku's priorities are right. We're gonna die then be demoted!!

I'm not really liking that cover.

Actually this is one Yardley cover I can at least tolerate.

Tails' mouth looks like it's about to swallow the entire universe.

Would that be the "Sonic Universe" :lol: I'm sorry.

They weren't gonna bonk, they were just gonna.....lye next to each other?

Glad to see a few more game adaptations get thrown our way, but I hope the kukku battle bird aramda turn out looking original...if I recall correctly in some previous issues wasn't it hinted at that Jet, the babylon rogues and Bean (so pretty much any bird) were all deserters from the armada?

I'm just hoping they turn out to be good and not look like/act like Bean ~ cuz there's only one guy I wanna see be that awesome and crazy! *shine*shine*shine*

Edited by The-Master-Board
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Glad to see a few more game adaptations get thrown our way

Is it just me, or did the ending to the Journey To The East arc (with Espio pulling a reveal about Mighty's sister, and the armadillo walking off to rescue her with Ray) smell like a blatant set-up for a Sonic Arcade adaptation?

Is it just me, or did the ending to the Journey To The East arc (with Espio pulling a reveal about Mighty's sister, and the armadillo walking off to rescue her with Ray) smell like a blatant set-up for a Sonic Arcade adaptation?

That, or maybe they want to get rid of them so they make the Archieverse more like the SEGAverse. :(

Anyways, maybe I'm wrong but wasn't already a Sonic Arcade adaptation?

SegaSonic the Hedgehog (Knuckles #26-28) (arcade game)

Segasonic Arcade adaptation interests me, it was one of the only times where Robotnik was visually intimidating.

Anyways, maybe I'm wrong but wasn't already a Sonic Arcade adaptation?

Mobius Encyclopedia is hazy on the subject (and I sure as hell don't know). Apparently in KtE#28 "Mighty, Nic and Fiona find and rescue Ray the Squirrel", so... maybe.

I just saw Mighty and Ray heading of on an adventure and thought: "Wait a minute, I recognise this set-up".

The back-up three-parter that ran through issue 26-28 of KtE was a SegaSonic adaption. Ian Flynn himself even said so on the Archie Sonic blog.

http://www.archiecomics.com/blog/sonic/2010/06/devotion-to-the-craft.html

They could do a more thorough adaption. They did a really short Sonic Adventure 2 adaption over a hundred issues ago, but they went back and added some more elements through the comics then had a more full blown adaption in Sonic Universe.

I went and got myself a few more back issues today. I'm again impressed with how far this comic has come. Monkey Khan was one of the reasons I left the series, but a character I used to consider extremely boring fodder has become a welcome addition to the cast. The delivery of lines also improved a lot. The guy at the place I buy my back issues from was nice enough to give me one of the Free Comic Book Day issues he was saving up, so I'm not missing that one after all. I guess he noticed me coming in each week and beginning to clear his stock of Sonic comics out. That was a really good free issue by the way, with the Badnik hydra.

I also decided that I like Yardley's art. I wasn't impressed much by it in Universe #1, but maybe that was one of his more sloppy issues. He's got a nice sense of expression (the Shadow face in Universe #1 was hilarious, now I know where that comes from) and gives us good perspective on scenes. I approves.

Edited by Dabnikz

I thought 217's cover was pretty lame, but is that Oil Ocean Zone? =D

Herms is finally doing colors for the covers now, which took Archie long enough to do.

SU 20's cover on the other hand is awesome.