Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Yeah, she just came across as a nagging maid to me. Maybe because the "maid" stereotype isn't intrinsically associated with "sassy black woman kicking Tom's ass" here.

To me anyway, PRKM constantly sounded like how a middle aged white guy thought a sassy no-nonsense maid of color would sound like.

That might not have been what he was doing, but given he's the guy who mixed Nazi elements into the Dark Legion, along with Downtown Ebony Hare and Vector's stereotypical jive... eh...?

315e7oj.jpg

Here comes the BOOM! Get in on the ground floor with the ALL-NEW ONGOING SONIC COMIC BOOK SERIES from Archie Comics based on the new hit TV series and video game: Sonic Boom! This ground-breaking new chapter in the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise puts a new "spin" on all your favorite heroes and villains—plus new faces and hilarious new stories chock-full of action—and it's all brought to you by the folks that bring the hit series Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic Universe to you each and every month! Subscribe today and own a piece of Sonic comic history!
  • Thumbs Up 7

Like we totally didn't see THAT one coming. :lol:

Ha, I love this and new Antoine. I'm not getting any skittish vibe, he doesn't look scared at all here, more of a throwback to the other less admirable qualities he had from Satam/the early comic, like his vanity and preference for taking the easy way out.

Which it cool because some people have come to think of Antoine as a bit of a flat, generic good hero character. So it's nice to see some personality, but not be obnoxious about it.

Ah the classy French vanity. Brings a tear to my eye ^^

Duuuude I'm totally down for this. It'll be fun to jump in right from the beginning for a Sonic comic for a change, instead of playing eternal catch up with the trades. Should be interesting!

Does it say when the comic will be coming?

I'm a little worried that Universe might get cancelled for Boom though.

Not unexpected, but cool to see! I remember reading a while back that Ian would be up for writing for more series, so I won't be surprised if he's writing for it too. If that's the case, I'm curious to see how he handles the universe compared to the cartoon and game.

With comic con around the corner I thought that they would announce it there oh well. Hopefully it will have the same comedic charm as the early Archie books and the last few issues of sonic X

Nah, I doubt that. It's a huge gamble, plus they're already aware that what they're currently doing just works.

Can we stop with the doom and gloom, Boom is going to eat all our Sonics? Please? I'm tired of hearing that all other Sonic material is going to be thrown out to make way for what even SEGA has said is an alternate continuity. Can someone give me a good reason why Archie can't publish three books for this franchise while every other publisher can gouge people's wallets with several books featuring the same characters and overarching storylines? With the Sonic Boom hype train, a new book to go along with the TV series and game sub-series seems like some sure money for everyone involved. Killing one of the pre-existing Archie books? Is that going to go over well with anyone, really?

As far as I see it, Universe will remain as long as the main comicverse remains. Universe is a side-story arc that tells the events of the other characters occurring parallel to the main one, and there will always be parallel stories to tell.

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess people are worried that Sonic's main canon will get shunned by Boom's (Which is fairly understandable, this is a huge undertaking by SEGA and has never been done before -- even when things went to utter shit) and also worried that Archie won't have the funds to publish three books of Sonic -- StH, Universe, and now Boom.

The latter I'm not as worried about, really. Sonic X didn't do anything to the main comics.

Having never really read a Sonic comic in my life, this Boom series may be a great jumping on point. Taking one of the few aspects of Sonic Boom I'm actually positive about (fresh new universe and focus on story) into comic form, I'm actually quite eager to check this out.

sonic-boom-12.gif

Loving 'dat dynamic cover too as well, I would kill to own it in poster form. 

I guess people are worried that Sonic's main canon will get shunned by Boom's (Which is fairly understandable, this is a huge undertaking by SEGA and has never been done before -- even when things went to utter shit) and also worried that Archie won't have the funds to publish three books of Sonic -- StH, Universe, and now Boom.

The latter I'm not as worried about, really. Sonic X didn't do anything to the main comics.

Boom is new, of course SEGA wants it get some attention. They did the same with X when it got big enough in the US to get a third season made. A new comic makes sense. What doesn't make sense that Archie is somehow unable to support three books when I don't see much evidence to support that. I'd give it a year, and things will even out.

As far as I see it, Universe will remain as long as the main comicverse remains. Universe is a side-story arc that tells the events of the other characters occurring parallel to the main one, and there will always be parallel stories to tell.

Agreed. And, honestly, this series can benefit from a side-series. I'd hate to go months or even years without seeing Shadow or Knuckles or someone not Sonic get major focus in a story, and it's better than the piecemeal approach of the olden days with four page back-ups competing for attention. Universe is the best thing to happen to this series since it gives more equal treatment to Sonic's co-stars.

With comic con around the corner I thought that they would announce it there oh well. Hopefully it will have the same comedic charm as the early Archie books and the last few issues of sonic X

They probably will formally announce it there, this page probably just wasn't meant to be seen yet, I'd imagine.

Can we stop with the doom and gloom, Boom is going to eat all our Sonics? Please? I'm tired of hearing that all other Sonic material is going to be thrown out to make way for what even SEGA has said is an alternate continuity. Can someone give me a good reason why Archie can't publish three books for this franchise while every other publisher can gouge people's wallets with several books featuring the same characters and overarching storylines? With the Sonic Boom hype train, a new book to go along with the TV series and game sub-series seems like some sure money for everyone involved. Killing one of the pre-existing Archie books? Is that going to go over well with anyone, really?

Look, I'm not saying It's 100% going to happen. The reason I'm worried is that usually, Archie only allows 2 Sonic series to be running at the long time with Knuckles getting cancelled and replaced with Sonic X which then got replaced by Universe. All I said is I just a worry that It might just get cancelled. 

Look, I'm not saying It's 100% going to happen. The reason I'm worried is that usually, Archie only allows 2 Sonic series to be running at the long time with Knuckles getting cancelled and replaced with Sonic X which then got replaced by Universe. All I said is I just a worry that It might just get cancelled. 

Well, it didn't help that the Knuckles series didn't bring in much green. And Sonic X stopped being relevant long by the time it's series ended. 

Universe at least has a place with the current comic line.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Super Special ran alongside Knuckles and the main book. Those two got canceled because they weren't selling well enough to justify keeping them published. X was probably canceled because SEGA wanted to move on from that particular branding, and X was on its last legs anyway. Universe doesn't have those issues, really.

Not saying your worries aren't somewhat justified, I just don't think it's a good idea to jump to the worst possible conclusion, especially when it seems like a terrible move on Archie's and SEGA's part. The novelty of Boom is going to wear off once people are used to it being a thing, and it will, hopefully, finally be accepted as another branch of a larger brand. Of course SEGA's a little... funny, sometimes, but they've made sure to let people know Boom isn't replacing anything, so I want to put some faith in those words.

If they go back on it, then I'll join the other side.

Well, it didn't help that the Knuckles series didn't bring in much green. And Sonic X stopped being relevant long by the time it's series ended. 

Universe at least has a place with the current comic line.

Yeah, I was gonna mention low sales as well but thought I should have just left it out and leave that kinda stuff for the TL-SC thread in which Knuckles sales have been mentioned before.

As I said, It's likely that Universe will still go on, but given that for the full 20 years Archie Sonic has been going, there's only been two comics at one time which is what is worrying me.

Knuckles got canned due to low sales YEARS before Sonic X was ever a concept to begin with. And I believe it was a coincidence that the X comic's low sales occurred just as Universe was getting launched.

My concern is that if Flynn is getting tapped to write the Boom comic, he'll have four books to juggle (unless guest writers/second head writer is brought in) and quality might suffer.

Yeah I'm not worried about Universe at all, at least for now. Though if it is coming to an end, I hope it's with a bang. Sonic X had that story with Archie!Shadow for it's final issue; for Universe I'd expect a story arc that would either have something very important happen, or set up something really big to happen in the main series.

I'd kinda want it to be another Shadow-focused arc just for a bit of a bookends sort of thing.

I don't blame you for being worried. Still, the thing about Knuckles and X is that they were cancelled for a particular reason. KtE wasn't doing too well apparently, and I think at that point SEGA themselves probably wanted to leave X behind, either because of the general public's views on it or because they were already planning Boom.

Admittedly, for the latter, I'm mostly going off of the fact that they're stopping Archie from distributing issues of X through apps and stuff in the present day, but yeah.

Come to think of it, how well was the X comic selling?

Yeah, I was gonna mention low sales as well but thought I should have just left it out and leave that kinda stuff for the TL-SC thread in which Knuckles sales have been mentioned before.

As I said, It's likely that Universe will still go on, but given that for the full 20 years Archie Sonic has been going, there's only been two comics at one time which is what is worrying me.

To be fair, up until recently, Sonic's only needed two books. Sonic's big, but I wouldn't say "Batman" big or anything to justify more than that. Boom is the first time that it might be needed.

My concern is that if Flynn is getting tapped to write the Boom comic, he'll have four books to juggle (unless guest writers/second head writer is brought in) and quality might suffer.

Same. I think Boom would benefit from a new voice not connected to the main book, so I would sorta like to see what IDW did with the TMNT Animated book (new writers, one of whom worked on the show) done with Boom here.

I guess we got to factor in the Megman comics as well.

Three Sonics, one Megaman. Isn't that all the same artists and writers? It does make me question how much funding these guys get.

Though, I'm curious. Will the Boom comics be stand-alone stories like StH, or will it intertwine with Boom's show and/or game plots?