Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

What I would like to point out besides Sonic showing friendliness to Eggman, is what appears to be hesitation on Robotnik's face before unraveling the full force of his "master plan" into the hedgehog's face. It might mean that Robotnik while currently being in an impaired mental state, seems to have a bit of clarity to the things going on around him. He might even have a tiny part in the back of his brain going "the hedgehog cares about...me?" under all of the swirling, demanding threats and hastily crazed thoughts.

uhhmmm I think it's more like he was just surprised he had such an easy chance to strike.

As much as I've criticized all the fighting in recent issues, I'll admit that I like the idea of Knuckles' arc finishing with Knux and Fini having some kind of crazy Chaos Laser Battle.

As for the 209 cover...That is the most hilarious drawing of Sally I've yet seen from this comic. I just love how she has this goofy, "Dude, what the hell?" look on her face.

As much as I've criticized all the fighting in recent issues, I'll admit that I like the idea of Knuckles' arc finishing with Knux and Fini having some kind of crazy Chaos Laser Battle.

As for the 209 cover...That is the most hilarious drawing of Sally I've yet seen from this comic. I just love how she has this goofy, "Dude, what the hell?" look on her face.

I second both opinions, the first one kinda makes me laugh, but in a good way. And the second not only looks cool, but does it's job of making me want to know what events led up to this encounter.

I second both opinions, the first one kinda makes me laugh, but in a good way. And the second not only looks cool, but does it's job of making me want to know what events led up to this encounter.

Yeah, these covers do a surprisingly good job of being teasers for what's inside.^^

1st cover: Eww, Iron Queen looks pretty nasty in appearance, and a lot of green going on there. Also, lol @ Sally's face.

2nd cover: Cool. Can't wait to see how Knuckle's saga unfolds.

All right, all the text previews are up:

sth209.500.jpg

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #209

"Iron Dominion Part Two": The Iron Queen is on the verge of total world domination, and only a handful of heroes are free to quell the threat! Sonic and Sally must brave the unknown to rescue one of their own, but at the risk of total annihilation! Meanwhile, Monkey Khan makes a grim decision, and only Tails can stand in his way to save the life of a Freedom Fighter! The stakes have never been higher in this pulse-pounding tale!

SCRIPT: Ian Flynn

ART: Tracy Yardley!

Cover by Tracy Yardley!

Shipping Date: January 27th, 2010

On Sale at Comic Shops: February 3rd, 2010

On Sale at Newsstands: February 16th, 2010

32-page, full color comic

$2.50 US

su12.500.jpg

SONIC UNIVERSE #12

"Echoes of the Past Part Four of Four": This is it - the grand finale! Angel Island is about to be conquered, and our heroes are powerless to stop it, having been captured and at the mercy of the Dark Egg Legion! Will a last minute revelation save or doom our hapless heroes? It all ends with the fight you've been waiting for: Knuckles vs. Dr. Finitevus in a knock-down, drag-out, no holds barred ruckus! Don't miss the explosive final chapter to Knuckles' return to the spin-off scene!

Let's-get-ready-to-rumble cover by Tracy Yardley!

Shipping Date: January 13th, 2010

On Sale at Comic Shops: January 20th, 2010

On Sale at Newsstands: February 2nd, 2010

$2.50 US

sa12.600.jpg

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG ARCHIVES #12

The Sonic Archives series has emerged as one of Archie's best-selling trade paperbacks, as fans both new and old can relive the glory days of Sonic the Hedgehog in these high-quality, digitally-restored graphic novels, complete with all the classic Sonic stories from the 1990s! Now with Sonic Archives Volume 12, Sonic lovers can add issues 45-48 to their collections, stories which are almost impossible to come across now. And best of all, the colors are completely remastered to give the issues a brand new look! Stories include: "Guerilla Thriller": Everyone's favorite cave-bear, Mobie, returns... but he's unsuspectingly making a home for himself in the middle of a Robotnik stronghold! Can the Freedom Fighters warn him before it's too late? "Countdown to Armageddon": a sabbatical in the woods to reflect on recent events goes from relaxing to taxing as friendships are strained and loyalties questioned, setting up the dramatic events yet to come in the "Endgame" storyline. Guest-starring Lupe and the Wolf Pack from the animated series! "Endgame: Taking the Fall": The most talked-about Sonic saga ever unfolds as King Acorn vows to finish the war with Robotnik and regain the kingdom... but could he have predicted the enormous cost? The "death of Princess Sally" sent shockwaves through Sonic fandom, and now you can relive the events leading up to this milestone event. "Sonic the Fugitive": Not only has Sonic suffered a great loss in the passing of Princess Sally, he's also been framed for her murder! Now he must battle friend and foe alike as he seeks the real killer to clear his name!

PLUS: The "Knuckles' Quest" saga continues, with the intrepid red echidna searching for answers to his origin and the mystery behind the Sword of Acorns.

SCRIPTS: Angelo DeCesare, Ken Penders, Kent Taylor

ART: Dave Manak, Art Mawhinney, Ken Penders, Nelson Ortega, Manny Galan

Cover art by Patrick "Spaz!" Spaziante

Shipping Date: January 20th, 2010

On Sale at Comic Shops: January 27th, 2010

On Sale at Newsstands: February 9th, 2010

112-page, full color paperback

$7.95 US

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Eh, great, so I guess Spaz's stint at covers didn't last very long then. :(

sth209.500.jpg

Ew. I love how Yardley makes Sally look more and more like a dude.

"Iron Dominion Part Two": The Iron Queen is on the verge of total world domination,

"Echoes of the Past Part Four of Four": This is it - the grand finale! Angel Island is about to be conquered, and our heroes are powerless to stop it, having been captured and at the mercy of the Dark Egg Legion! Will a last minute revelation save or doom our hapless heroes? It all ends with the fight you've been waiting for: Knuckles vs. Dr. Finitevus in a knock-down, drag-out, no holds barred ruckus! Don't miss the explosive final chapter to Knuckles' return to the spin-off scene!

Umm....don't those two statements kinda contradict one another? Or am I only assuming that Angel Island is been conquered by Finitevus? Though I hardly see why he'd sit by and let the IQ take it, or if that were the case why the big fight would be Knuckles/Finitevus.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

Honestly, I am curious what the next Sonic Universe arc is going to be about. Wistful thinking for me is Robotnik and his crazed antics, but I bet it's going be something else like Blaze or Silver.

It will either be Blaze, Silver, Mina, The Future Freedom Fighters or a Freedom Fighter cell we haven't heard from in a while (like the AFF, DFF or the 4F).

All right, all the text previews are up:

sth209.500.jpg

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #209

"Iron Dominion Part Two": The Iron Queen is on the verge of total world domination, and only a handful of heroes are free to quell the threat! Sonic and Sally must brave the unknown to rescue one of their own, but at the risk of total annihilation! Meanwhile, Monkey Khan makes a grim decision, and only Tails can stand in his way to save the life of a Freedom Fighter! The stakes have never been higher in this pulse-pounding tale!

Cover by Tracy Yardley!

Shipping Date: January 27th, 2010

On Sale at Comic Shops: February 3rd, 2010

On Sale at Newsstands: February 16th, 2010

$2.50 US

Ah. Sounds like more excessive Sonic and Sally bonding. Yup I definitely didn't see that one coming. :rolleyes: lol

That issue doesn't sound interesting at all but rather predictable.

Edited by Genesis

I guess, for better or worse, the whole trend towards making the designs more "Segasonic" is starting to make Sally look more and more like her male counterpart from Japan, Ricky the Squirrel.XD

Honestly, I am curious what the next Sonic Universe arc is going to be about. Wistful thinking for me is Robotnik and his crazed antics, but I bet it's going be something else like Blaze or Silver.

It will either be Blaze, Silver, Mina, The Future Freedom Fighters or a Freedom Fighter cell we haven't heard from in a while (like the AFF, DFF or the 4F).

Why do I have the funny feeling it's going to be about Nerbs?

Edited by BlazeyBakeneko

I dunno, I actually like that Sally's looking more boyish again. I always liked how she was kind of androgynous and very tomboyish rather than uber-feminine (like the leggy curvaceous freak she became somewhere in the mid-comics).

I dunno, I actually like that Sally's looking more boyish again. I always liked how she was kind of androgynous and very tomboyish rather than uber-feminine (like the leggy curvaceous freak she became somewhere in the mid-comics).

I agree wholeheartedly.^^ The new design isn't quite as cute as her SatAM model, but it's still pretty appealing in its balance of boyish and girlish looks.

X

O

I would rather see Sally as the androgynous type (which fits her tomboy-ish character too) then that tall, slutty figure she used to be. >_>

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

The tall leggy aspect to Sally's design was really stylistic. The artists who were making her tall and giving her a much more "matured woman" look were doing that before Sally grew her hair out, which was the only big difference. Sally's been one not to really care about her appearance though (yes I know, despite all the social pressure, there is a character who actually doesn't think about it.). So I'd be rather suprised actually if she cared that much with associating who she is--tomboy or not, with her appearance. Actually one of the things that annoys me is how much length they have to do to emphasize tomboyishness in the main females like Sally and Julie-su (and we can thank Penders for starting the trend). As if guys and gals who have traditionally "feminine" characteristics are somehow inferior. Despite Penders' intentions, the implication really slaps in the face his "girl power agenda" since his females were never really designed to confront and deal with things in the way many women actually would. Yes to an extent female social roles were rooted with subordination in mind. But how they learned to problem solve inspires contemporary philosophers today.

...lol. I didn't want this post to sound fluffy or anything. But I just meant to say that "feminine" ways of thinking aren't all badd. Penders just focused on ideals for how women should act that revolved around traditionally masculine ways of thinking. And I think the bigger problem with that in the long run is that when you tell men and women they can only have certain traits, you're only making them half of a human being at best. No wonder the world's so screwed up. Men can't be caring or nurturing to their kids because it's girly and we wonder why there are so many deadbeat dads =O

Edited by Miko
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I'd agree that gender stereotypes can be harmful and that it's just as bad to pressure men into thinking they can't be nurturing or kind as it is to pressure women into thinking they can't be active and independent.

That being said, I do think that Sonic has shown more of a nurturing side, lately, if only a little. Granted, that compassion has been directed at his worst enemy, so it's kind of complicated/awkward, but I do think that Sonic's conversation with Tails in the latest issue was a good way to make the blue blur feel a little less distant.

The Sonic universe has plenty of feminine girls. Sally is a breath of fresh air. I don't see her as a masculine character at all. Just as a girl who isn't really 'girly'. There's nothing at all wrong with that and I don't see any inherent sexism in it. Sally has always been a tomboy but she's never acted like a man.

Also, yeah, the convo between Sonic and Tails was kinda cute. But where the heck did Tails come from? I thought he was injured, but Sonic didn't seem at all surprised to see him, lol. I was surprised Sonic didn't check on him when he went to see Bunnie, but I guess maybe he was already gone.

Still, Sonic's line about Tails having the harder job made me lol.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

The tall leggy aspect to Sally's design was really stylistic. The artists who were making her tall and giving her a much more "matured woman" look were doing that before Sally grew her hair out, which was the only big difference. Sally's been one not to really care about her appearance though (yes I know, despite all the social pressure, there is a character who actually doesn't think about it.). So I'd be rather suprised actually if she cared that much with associating who she is--tomboy or not, with her appearance. Actually one of the things that annoys me is how much length they have to do to emphasize tomboyishness in the main females like Sally and Julie-su (and we can thank Penders for starting the trend). As if guys and gals who have traditionally "feminine" characteristics are somehow inferior. Despite Penders' intentions, the implication really slaps in the face his "girl power agenda" since his females were never really designed to confront and deal with things in the way many women actually would. Yes to an extent female social roles were rooted with subordination in mind. But how they learned to problem solve inspires contemporary philosophers today.

...lol. I didn't want this post to sound fluffy or anything. But I just meant to say that "feminine" ways of thinking aren't all badd. Penders just focused on ideals for how women should act that revolved around traditionally masculine ways of thinking. And I think the bigger problem with that in the long run is that when you tell men and women they can only have certain traits, you're only making them half of a human being at best. No wonder the world's so screwed up. Men can't be caring or nurturing to their kids because it's girly and we wonder why there are so many deadbeat dads =O

It's a man writing it, so it's not very surprising. Some of them think a woman is only worthy if it behaves and looks like a man.

Apart from that the tomboy, the Tsundere and the Bickering is Love are all things that are cliché and overdone since... well forever most likely. I'm sick of it.

Edited by redmenace
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Sally has always been a tomboy but she's never acted like a man.

Yeah, that's Blaze's job!

I kid, I kid.XD

Also, yeah, the convo between Sonic and Tails was kinda cute. But where the heck did Tails come from? I thought he was injured, but Sonic didn't seem at all surprised to see him, lol. I was surprised Sonic didn't check on him when he went to see Bunnie, but I guess maybe he was already gone.

It was pretty weird how we didn't see Tails exiting the hospital, but the injury may have not been that bad...If I recall correctly it was just a particularly strong blow to the stomach.

I haven't read all of Archie to know, but I think the conversation in this issue may be the first time since issue 70 that Tails has been shown comforting Sonic...I guess there's more room to do that now since "House of Cards" resolved Tails' emotional issues.^^

The Sonic universe has plenty of feminine girls. Sally is a breath of fresh air.

Not really.I never said there weren't feminine girls in the comic. But I also really don't care about if they're in Sonic Universe. Sonic Universe ocassionally touches upon characters that are more often than not, not part of the top tier in the main book and are put on the back burner communicating that at best, the more "feminine" girls are more periphreal to the story. I'm talking about girls in the main book that and what the presence of the lead girls communicates to girls who aren't "tomboys". As far as lead females go, the females who are not periphreal to the main characters and whose thoughts and feelings are generally treated more seriously tend to lack a lot of feminine characteristics, or they don't deal at all with issues women are interested in because they're "too cool" for it.

I don't see her as a masculine character at all. Just as a girl who isn't really 'girly'.

This book has constantly emphasized how tomboyish Sally is. We all know the aim is to make her some kind of "tomboy princess" and you even say it later on.

There's nothing at all wrong with that and I don't see any inherent sexism in it.

Saying this is just about Sally is like a magazine saying an incredibly skinny woman on their cover is ok because it's just one ad. While an ad by itself is unlikely to make an anorexic, when you put it into a bigger framework, complaining about the ads on an individual level makes more sense. So what I'm asking you to do is look at Sally as part of a bigger picture because the picture that sexist. I will admit, Sally's position as a female lead plays a very big part in it, especially since we're talking a character who gets signifficantly more attention than the others and because unlike with the many ads which could convey a lot of different things there are far fewer characters in comparison, and fewer receiving regular attention. Still, she's not the only thing.

I don't like the fact that Penders only felt like females worth regular mention were ones that took on more "masculine" roles, that they were "too good for "feminine" roles or flat out ignored female issues, for all the LEAD girls of the Sonic and Knuckles book. kicking off a trend of "feminine" = periphreal. Penders has explained that he's never really seen "feminine" women in action . as an excuse for this when asked which I fnd funny. Because only a group of priveleged men don't have to actually think about the characteristics and social issues that women deal with. While women have to learn about male standards because apparently its more superior. He may not have grew up with (according to him) a very feminine mother when asked about the kinds of women he writes about. But that doesn't excuse his total lack of regard for not keeping up with so much as female social issues and portraying that strugglei in a way women can actually relate to. Especially when he obviously sees himself as some kind of feminist. Not saying there aren't "feminine" girls. But I am saying that more often than not girls that take on more of those characteristics don't have as much respect in the team and are not really core characters for either Sonic or Knux's crew. So yes, they're generally more periphreal characters

Sally has always been a tomboy but she's never acted like a man.

Tomboy:

n. A girl considered boyish or masculine in behavior or manner.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

Copyright © 2009 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Word Origin & History

tomboy

1553, "rude, boisterous boy," from Tom + boy; meaning "bold or immodest woman" is attested from 1579; that of "girl who acts like a spirited boy" is first recorded 1592. Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2001 Douglas Harper

Cite This Source

Edited by Miko
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

One can have masculine/boyish traits without acting like a 'man' ('man' and 'boy' are also different concepts - to be boyish is far more of an androgynous thing than to be mannish).

Also, your whole first paragraph is kinda moot because I wasn't talking about Sonic Universe. I said THE Sonic universe, meaning the entire world of Sonic media. Sally is one character out of SO many. Why can't we have a tomboy princess, anyway? If ALL the female characters were like that I'd see a problem, but in the Archie-verse alone we have Amy, NICOLE, and more who are very feminine in their appearance and don't act 'male' at all.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I think any accusations of sexism is going a bit far. I think the matter of a man writing does has an influence, it's a fact that fundamentally men think differently then women. So while I can see it geared towards that, I don't think it's a case of sexism.