Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

And Comics Bulletin's review of Sonic #204

Just take a look at that Patrick "Spaz" Spaziante cover! "My Enemy, My Friend. Sonic vs. Monkey Khan!" Lightening flashing! Evil Khan! Sonic in trouble! How can you not want to check it out?

Inside the book, it's just as good. The Iron Queen, using her technomage powers, has taken control of Monkey Khan's cybernetics, creating a dilemma for Sonic and his allies: how do they take down Khan without hurting him?

Except for a poorly placed word balloon on the first page, this is a perfect issue. Yes, the hero fighting a friend turned evil is a familiar trope. Both Marvel and DC have built their big events around the same idea lately; but writer Ian Flynn makes it fresh and fun again.

There's plenty of action as Sonic and friends fight the Iron Queen-controlled-Khan. Not only does Princess Sally get her kicks in; but there are two stunning sequences featuring Antoine, whose wife Bunnie was injured last issue, taking on the super-powered Khan with only his sword and good right arm. Flynn hits just the right note, capturing 'Twan's anger and frustration. I've said it before, but Antoine and Bunnie are one of the best married couples in comics. Even when they're not together on the page, you get a real sense of how strong their relationship is. On a lighter note, 'Twan and Sonic also have one of the best comic scenes in the book. In one panel Flynn references their past history - without being too "insider-y" about it, shows the friendship between the two characters, and makes it funny.

Amidst everything else going on, Flynn continues to build on the Sally-Khan relationship, shows Sonic's wits are as quick as his feet, reveals how devious the Iron Queen really is, and gives readers a killer of a cliff-hanger ending.

On a technical note, I also enjoyed Flynn's use of narration boxes. In a pivotal scene, rather than using clunky, expositional dialog to get the necessary information across, he narrates it over the action, adding another layer of emotion to the story.

The art team puts forth another fantastic effort. The detailing of the intricate circuitry on cyber-Monkey Khan must have been a bear to pull off for all involved, but it looks beautiful. The action scenes are dynamic and well-choreographed. What's happening can be taken in at a glance, though closer examination will reveal little details about the character's expressions and postures that add depth to the emotional storyline. Matt Herms' dark colors emphasize the stormy nature of Khan, without obscuring the action.

The issue's back-up feature, part two of "Friend in Deed," is something of a talk-fest, as Knuckles tries to figure out why Espio Chameleon betrayed the Chaotix and joined the Iron Queen's forces. While it does fill in some background information, it raises more questions than it answers.

Penciler Jamal Peppers creates a sense of movement by constantly changing the camera angles on the characters, moving in and out on them and focusing on the tiniest change of expression. A touch I especially appreciated was the opening splash page. A circular panel inset shows the floating Angel Island. The rest of the page is devoted to Espio holding Knuckles over the edge of the island. The two pieces together are a classic, elegant, and effective way of establishing the location and the danger Knuckles is in.

Closing out the issue is a page of some gorgeous fan art and a letter page. Judging by the names, it looks like Sonic's fans are about evenly divided between male and female readers, which is about what it is in my elementary library. It's nice that Archie puts these pages in the books when possible. It fosters reader involvement and creativity.

If you're looking for action, drama, humor, and mature relationships in your comic reading, give Sonic the Hedgehog #204 a try.

Just take a look at that Patrick "Spaz" Spaziante cover! "My Enemy, My Friend. Sonic vs. Monkey Khan!" Lightening flashing! Evil Khan! Sonic in trouble! How can you not want to check it out?

About that. I can't agree with it. I know it's been said before but the image looks uninspired. I for one am getting sick of Sonic's hands in the same pose: One hand in the back ready to punch with the other one placed in front with his hand opened. I mean sure he wasn't doing that stance Spaz does a lot but a good deal of the hand work but a good deal of it's still too trite.

There's plenty of action as Sonic and friends fight the Iron Queen-controlled-Khan. Not only does Princess Sally get her kicks in;

And we care, why?

but there are two stunning sequences featuring Antoine, whose wife Bunnie was injured last issue, taking on the super-powered Khan with only his sword and good right arm. Flynn hits just the right note, capturing 'Twan's anger and frustration. I've said it before, but Antoine and Bunnie are one of the best married couples in comics. Even when they're not together on the page, you get a real sense of how strong their relationship is.

Meh. One of the catchfalls of this comic is that the characters behave as if they should have a close relationship, but upon closer inspection, there's really no basis for it. I can't say Bunnie and Antoine are anywhere close to the best married couples in comics. Hell I don't have to like Sonic and Sally's relationship, but I can see for instance why Sonic would be close to Sally since she foils his personality in a way that would give him a need for her to be around. There's not a whole lot of substance to Bunnie and Antoine's relationship and yet these two characters seem like they're off in their own little world together all the time. We could've seen similar passions flare up with Sally being Bunnie's best friend for example. But these two characters seem to have a relationship with each other that cuts at the knees everyone else, it seems. Of course, this is actually fairly typical of ArchieSonic relationships. Just about if not every character in a relationship seems fairly cut off from the story compared to when they weren't and usually it wasn't done with the intention to enrich the story. Mina goes with Ash to shut up whiny SonSal shippers, Geoffery goes with Hershey for this same reason, and Bunnie and Antoine was the first in these redundant relationships when Antoine served as Sonic's first competition over Sally. Even their marriage seemed rushed and was probably not at all due to the fact that this was good writing, but to further secure Antoine's place away from Sally after killing the Source of All. Where the hell was the buildup to such a moment, Bunnie's contemplation? Nothing, not even a subplot dedicated to it. That's how little effort was put into this pairing and like the rest of them it's just been there to make SonSal more convenient. No, I'm not harping on this btw purely because of SonSal, it's just a side issue related to why this relationship was never really written with the aim of being all inspiring.

On a lighter note, 'Twan and Sonic also have one of the best comic scenes in the book. In one panel Flynn references their past history - without being too "insider-y" about it, shows the friendship between the two characters, and makes it funny.

Since this is a review, it'd help if this person could actually refference more specifically what it is they're talking about.

The issue's back-up feature, part two of "Friend in Deed," is something of a talk-fest, as Knuckles tries to figure out why Espio Chameleon betrayed the Chaotix and joined the Iron Queen's forces. While it does fill in some background information, it raises more questions than it answers.

Actually, from what I can vaugely remember this story was more action oriented and less about talking. Something that most people I talk to who don't even like Ian's work on a regular basis were quick to note. I also think that this was to be an issue resolved in Sonic Universe right? So shouldn't it raise more questions than answers? I think that was the point. However I thought the goal was for us not to have to buy both. So what happened Archie found the sales were competing with one another or something?

Edited by Miko
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just picked up SU #8, glad that's over, and Sonic #204.. in which nothing happened except for

*SPOILERS*

Eggman opening up his holding cell!

Just picked up SU #8, glad that's over, and Sonic #204.. in which nothing happened except for

*SPOILERS*

Eggman opening up his holding cell!

You realize theres a

Spoiler

code?

Just finished reading issues #185 through to the current #204. I really love this series. It treats the subject with such respect rather than jsut looking at it as "another video game." The characters are defined so well and I'm really impressed with how it's evolved passed the "rules" of the game series. I know there isn't a lot of love for Archie's series here, but this is one of the best comics I'm reading at the moment (and I read a lot).

Can't get enough!

Still on the subject of M30YL, its bad enough Belle and Jacques didn't have much in the way of personality, but since nobody's brought it up yet, I feel I may as well. Why do these two characters even exist? Ian says Bunnie can reproduce, but I don't see how that's at all logical. Even if roboticized parts acted similarly to their more organic counterparts, does it really matter in Bunnie's case? Any reproductive organs she could have had would've been gotten rid of when she upgraded.

'Nother plothole tacked on the list there, Ian. :P

Edited by Picchi
  • Thumbs Up 1

Still on the subject of M30YL, its bad enough Belle and Jacques didn't have much in the way of personality, but since nobody's brought it up yet, I feel I may as well. Why do these two characters even exist? Ian says Bunnie can reproduce, but I don't see how that's at all logical. Even if roboticized parts acted similarly to their more organic counterparts, does it really matter in Bunnie's case? Any reproductive organs she could have had would've been gotten rid of when she upgraded.

'Nother plothole tacked on the list there, Ian. :P

Kids comic, the stork brought the children, duh.

You realize theres a

Spoiler

code?

Huh! I did not know that! Thanks for the heads up :)

You know what I want to know? Where the fuck is Dulcy the Dragon?

Wasn't it in the 130's-140's when she disappeared with that other dragon to mate?

Edited by Jix Hedgehog

Dulcy was last seen in 175-177 in the Egg Grapes when Robotnik conquered Knothole, IIRC. She's definelty one of the least fleshed out characters and could use more screen time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wut. I thought Dulcy had died... One of Bunnie's kids should have been a gray boy rabbit named Johnny.

Edited by Dejablue

*points to Meg, Mari-an and Lara-le w/ their swollen bellies*

they've been having affairs with storks? :P

Or they just got very fat, I hear storks like big-bellied ladies, what attracts them and all.

So Mobius 30 Years Later is done now? Thank GOD. I was alright with Mobius 25 years later in the past issues, but the children, Tikal+Chaos crap, King Shadow... It screams fanfic.

Edited by Dusk Golem

Then write to them and let them know. Because complaining about it on SSMB isn't going to do any good, as opposed to complaining to the company that publishes it. The amount of mail they get wanting MORE future stories is the reason they keep making them, after all.

Or they just got very fat, I hear storks like big-bellied ladies, what attracts them and all.

But then how do you explain Rosemary giving birth to Tails in a hospital during Sonic Kids? :P

Then write to them and let them know. Because complaining about it on SSMB isn't going to do any good, as opposed to complaining to the company that publishes it. The amount of mail they get wanting MORE future stories is the reason they keep making them, after all.

Or that they say they receive.

There's been complaints about some characters for almost 30 issues now on that mail section, and it's still being ignored.

They just don't care, as long as fans buy their approved fanfic.

• Thumbs Up 1

But then how do you explain Rosemary giving birth to Tails in a hospital during Sonic Kids? :P

wat?

Ohh and Red, maybe you should just write more letters, cmon.

Edited by Kiljoy

We haven't seen the preview pages for 205 yet have we? D: I feel like it's been ages since the last one...

If they stick to showing them by shipping, they'll be out tomorrow.

Interesting to see the Downunda Freedom Fighters returning, even if the notion of their being a potential supporting cast for Tails was never developed.

So I just received Sonic the Hedgehog archives Vol. 11 in the mail today. And I checked in the back to see that no. 12 is coming out next month. ( but to me, that usually means 3 months, when ordering through Borders. ) but I am still worried about something.

I looked inside the lastest Sonic comics to find the Sonic Archives and Sonic Select ads, as that's what I usually use at the bookstore to get the clerk to order it for me. But I couldn't find the ad at all. What's up with that?

Please don't tell me they are canceling Sonic Archives? I really loved catching up on the older comics.

And for that matter, are they already done with Sonic Select, after only two books?

And lastly, I could have sworn they claimed to be making Knuckles Archives and releasing them last february, but I never heard anything about that.

Anyone know the deal with all this? Googling proved useless.

Don't worry too much, the Archives will continue to sell as long as people are buying them, which people are. The main problem is trying to find all the material, which can be maddening to find; Ian has said that it can take a while to look for the old issues and reproduce them in the Archives and Selects format. Who knows why they are taking so long to find it (you'd think that comic book companies would have a copy of every issue they produce, but that usually turns out to be not true). And I'm pretty sure you can ask Archie themselves by giving them an e-mail about any question you have. I'm not sure about the Knuckles being reprinted in Selects, though (they also have to get the Mini-series on there as well), so you should probably ask them about it.

I also recommend buying them from http://www.amazon.com/Sonic-Hedgehog-Archives-Ken-Penders/dp/1879794535/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254285716&sr=8-3. The items also qualify for Free Super Saver Shipping, so would cost you less in the end.

Edited by Emerl
  • Thumbs Up 1