Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Alright so I read the comics and I have to say I REALLY enjoy the writing, It all melds together quite nicely and I honestly enjoyed it and was well worth the purchase.

NOW on that note...I was wanting to ask a question. When it came to these comics they of course have the Variant covers which all look quite cool now my question is.   

Is it worth buying the Variants? Now I really like the art ESPECIALLY the 16 bit and EFF (Evil Friends Forever) ones, I would be buying it for the specialty art and for collecting and for nothing else other than those as I already have the normal ones. I was put off by the price a bit but I wanted to know others opinions on this as well.

So I jumped off for the crossover, because call me a bad gamer but Mega-Man doesn't really interest me at all. I'm back. Lemme say I think this dual cover thing is kinda awesome, I always love the connecting covers and I'd be glad to see many more. The style here reminds me of classic covers by Spaz (though the art is not his, is it) and I really like the Antoine makeover. His old outfit is attached to his old stuffy French stereotype persona from SatAM, which this book has developed past that point especially since he became married Antoine, and if this is a development towards taking his character as a serious FF member then I'm all for it. The costume is also connected to his dad who was a General in this canon, and maybe the book's soft reset is discarding some of the historical character baggage. He looks athletic, it's fine. He used to dress like Napoleon, people. Also I like to see Rotor out there kicking ass on the cover. Are the FFs in full action duty here? It makes me happy to see Rotor not being support guy all the time. By the look of him he should be a pretty heavy hitter. What ever happened to his "back problem"? Fuck yeah walruseses.

Edited by American Ristar

Ok, so I have read a number of the comics through the years(I actualy have a couple of various ones from the main series, a couple of the knuckle's ones, firsts, and my personal fav the Knuckle's chaotix adapation) but now I am thinking of getting a bit caught up(specialy thanks to sonic scanf XD) though I was considering just reading through the universes(all of them), but was thinking of waiting on the main series and try to use post crossover as a jump in point, any thoughts on that?
Also any of the specials that would be worth a read as well, and any good arcs involving Nack XD

Also have to say on the megaman series that Ian has been doing a great job and I cant wait to see him continue after the crossover, as long as the writing contunies to be solid as it has been the Megaman comic is going to last for quite a while! and I am not even a MegaMan fan XD I just bought Megaman 1 and x1 on the store today thanks to the comic(and the SSB announcement)

• Thumbs Up 1

If you are after Nack arcs Mando, then a good starting point would be #39 and #40. Nack captures Sonic and hands him over to Robotnik ending up in his robotization. One of the few that have managed to one up our hedgehog hero.

He returns in a few arcs, one major one with his sister and the rest of his weasel gang where he kidnaps Sally is around the #122 to #125 area. I think before that he had a part in #91 to #94 where he captures Knuckles or holds Charmy's hive hostage or something.

Then there's the arc with Mogul and he is in jail for ages. Popping up now and again in random issues after #150. Of course there is also the Triple Trouble Special, but that's obvious lol

As for Mega Man and X, you should try Maverk Hunter X and Mega Man Powered Up. Remakes of the two you brought, they are for PSP only tho. I'm kinda gutted they never continued with the remakes.

If you are after Nack arcs Mando, then a good starting point would be #39 and #40. Nack captures Sonic and hands him over to Robotnik ending up in his robotization. One of the few that have managed to one up our hedgehog hero.

He returns in a few arcs, one major one with his sister and the rest of his weasel gang where he kidnaps Sally is around the #122 to #125 area. I think before that he had a part in #91 to #94 where he captures Knuckles or holds Charmy's hive hostage or something.

Then there's the arc with Mogul and he is in jail for ages. Popping up now and again in random issues after #150. Of course there is also the Triple Trouble Special, but that's obvious lol

As for Mega Man and X, you should try Maverk Hunter X and Mega Man Powered Up. Remakes of the two you brought, they are for PSP only tho. I'm kinda gutted they never continued with the remakes.

Thanks, I actualy have a PSP, trick though would be tracking them down, I dislike online auctions and my gaming budget for the rest of the year is primarily going to my Wii-u(or sega saturn if I manage to find one), but maybe my christmas or B-day list . And ya the triple trouble special is a given, and I actualy have one of the archie sonic special digests that include the moguls escape when he took Nack with him, and it had the Super sonic hyper Knux fight XD

Heh maybe they will start a new remake series ont he Wii-U, kinda come full circle if you know what I mean XD

Some things I noticed:

1 - Everyone is saying "dual cover" when the average pretty much every arc in Sonic is FOUR issues long. I believe there will be 2 more covers complementing them, which means you will see more characters and maybe even some more new designs in them;

2 - I truly believe this transformation of the comics is to appeal to Barry, me, and others on our side of the fence over the fact that we like Sonic's story more when it blends with the game canon more frequently.

3 - To reiterate a previous post I made, I also believe deep inside that we will see the Freedom Fighters in a game one day, especially after reading Barry's long post on the value of the game canon. If the Freedom Fighters are made game canon, everyone will win. The SEGASonic fans will get new characters added to the cast that have been polished over the course of 20 years, and Archie fans will get to experience the Freedom Fighters as they truly imagined it.

Now, imagine for Sonic's 25th Anniversary, a game that introduces Sonic to the Freedom Fighters, just like Sonic Adventure introduced Sonic to a new era. Imagine a glorious Collector's Edition version of the game with a statue of Sonic.... and Princess Sally. I called it first.

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks, I actualy have a PSP, trick though would be tracking them down, I dislike online auctions and my gaming budget for the rest of the year is primarily going to my Wii-u(or sega saturn if I manage to find one), but maybe my christmas or B-day list . And ya the triple trouble special is a given, and I actualy have one of the archie sonic special digests that include the moguls escape when he took Nack with him, and it had the Super sonic hyper Knux fight XD

Heh maybe they will start a new remake series ont he Wii-U, kinda come full circle if you know what I mean XD

They did mention the other day that there would be a "big" announcement about the end of Mega Man's 25th on Thursday at the Comic-Con. I'm hoping big means a game announcement or a new collection set, one that actually comes to PAL countries this time >.<

As for the comics, Nack not being present for this new universe arc makes me wonder where on earth he is. Maybe he will get his own universe arc? I can dream haha

They did mention the other day that there would be a "big" announcement about the end of Mega Man's 25th on Thursday at the Comic-Con. I'm hoping big means a game announcement or a new collection set, one that actually comes to PAL countries this time >.<

As for the comics, Nack not being present for this new universe arc makes me wonder where on earth he is. Maybe he will get his own universe arc? I can dream haha

Same here, though I am also hoping that Bark gets his backstory told as well, he is much more of a big question mark!

And some additional Megaman news would be great, specialy if it gives me something more to do with my Wii-U, and a collection would be great(I do have a GC and PS2, but not in the mood to track the old ones down)

That definately looks like Dark Gaia is rising on those covers, through I'm likely wrong. That purple-ish aura kinda gives me those Dark gaia vibes.

Same here, though I am also hoping that Bark gets his backstory told as well, he is much more of a big question mark!

And some additional Megaman news would be great, specialy if it gives me something more to do with my Wii-U, and a collection would be great(I do have a GC and PS2, but not in the mood to track the old ones down)

Didn't Ian mention an arc about Barks history was in the works or something? I wonder if that is covered in this new arc or if its a later one.

Haha yeah I got a Freeloader disc for my Gamecube specifically so I could play those two collections it got. Shame the GBA collection of all the GB Mega Man titles went poof. Capcom seems to like canceling things then releasing yet another update to Street Fighter 4 at full price lol

Didn't Ian mention an arc about Barks history was in the works or something? I wonder if that is covered in this new arc or if its a later one.

Haha yeah I got a Freeloader disc for my Gamecube specifically so I could play those two collections it got. Shame the GBA collection of all the GB Mega Man titles went poof. Capcom seems to like canceling things then releasing yet another update to Street Fighter 4 at full price lol

I asked that question for the interview dude, it was the fans ask one XD, but it seems like it may be a while before we see it though

Have we established whose glove that is behind the Countdown to Chaos part 2 logo? Rotor appears to face off against an unknown, supposedly on the third cover.

That definately looks like Dark Gaia is rising on those covers, through I'm likely wrong. That purple-ish aura kinda gives me those Dark gaia vibes.

The last thing a comic trying to recover from a legal nightmare needs is the Warehog, one of the characters that made a lot of Sonic fans pull their hair out and scream "WTF?!" >.<

Plus purple energy or dark energy could be anything evil really. Its used quite often to show corruption in media. How do we know it isn't the Nega Wisp and the blue light around Sonic isn't him using Wisp power like an earlier post mentioned or as someone else said the new parkour ability? Its really anyone's guess what's going on.

Have we established whose glove that is behind the Countdown to Chaos part 2 logo? Rotor appears to face off against an unknown, supposedly on the third cover.

Ian said it was an enemy, it wasn't a SatAM cast member, and we would never guess who it was. So nope jury is still out on that one! Edited by Tenko

I'm wondering who's firing all those red lasers if Eggman isn't around yet? Egg Legion sub bosses? Metal gets destroyed again during the cross over I imagine. So he's out. Sally is presumably flesh and blood again. Who else has weapons at their disposal?

I'm wondering who's firing all those red lasers if Eggman isn't around yet? Egg Legion sub bosses? Metal gets destroyed again during the cross over I imagine. So he's out. Sally is presumably flesh and blood again. Who else has weapons at their disposal?

Pretty sure Metal isn't going to get destroyed, and even if he were, it seems that he just gets beamed into a new body aboard the Death Egg whenever he's smashed now.

The last thing a comic trying to recover from a legal nightmare needs is the Warehog, one of the characters that made a lot of Sonic fans pull their hair out and scream "WTF?!" >.<

The possibility of Dark Gaia being a thing here does not inherently mean that Sonic will be forcibly transfigured into the Werehog.

Kind of wish they would give 'Ant a vest at the least, it does feel kind of weird not seeing him with clothes after all this time...

2 - I truly believe this transformation of the comics is to appeal to Barry, me, and others on our side of the fence over the fact that we like Sonic's story more when it blends with the game canon more frequently.

Look, your getting more game elements, characters, and locals, thats been happening since Ian took lead. but I really doubt your all going to get this reboot as you truly imagined it senerio. at the end of the damn day this is still another universe, not the game universe, not the X universe, Not even the SATAM universe anymore, not anything else but its own universe! really just accept that, SEGA seems to.

Yes it does promote the Sonic franchise, but so does Sonic X. and you didn't see that shit trying to match up with game canon save for its 2 loose adaptions to the Adventure arcs. and hell from the sounds of it that rumored BOOM cartoon doesn't sound like itll be matching canon either.

Well, in his defense (and mine (and others)), you can't blame us for wanting this, really. We're so deprived of good continuity and story content that we'd honestly very much love a good SegaSonic comic over the Archie Sonic one.

I mean, we went from great stories with most narrative being in the instruction manuals, to great stories with bad acting/writing, to terrible stories with mediocre writing/acting, to mediocre-ish-good stories with mediocre-ish-good writing/acting, to practically no stories with actual good writing/acting. Of COURSE we're rooting on a reboot, we're so dry on good content it hurts! :v

Also Sonic X didn't match up to the games either, sure, but that doesn't excuse the fact that it was a dumb idea lol

Edited by Azookara

Well don't look towards the comic for that, its not the comics fault nor should it be its problem if the Sonic Team makes games that are barebones in story and lacks any motivation to expand its game universe. besides whatever we would write over here would still be considered non-canon to the game universe anyways, seeing as this is an american product and ST is strictly japanese storyline. maybe thats why they in japan really haven't cared as to why this comic that promotes their cashcow as a seperate universe.

if anything beg SEGA of Japan to make a game canon manga or something. they pump out $1000s on a idiot joke manga every month to this Nintendo Shonen Jump thing, go retool that!

And it looks like they got rid of Sally's pants from the first redesign. Now I hope this doesn't an iconic backlash for most fans that may had gotten used to the first design.

I don't see why its unreasonable to expect the Sonic the Hedgehog comic book series to be like the games, though. Its kind of how it should've been, and would've been if SoA wasn't so loosey-goosey with the source material anyways.

I, like Barry, used to like the comics myself and can hold some sympathy for the folk who still like it, but at the same time this comic is just a long running, convoluted mess that doesn't really resemble the series its practically advertising, so I've stopped caring so much for it and mostly just wanted a companion comic for the games.

You know, kind of like how Pokemon Special / Adventures is to the Pokemon series (where the anime would practically be the Sonic X of it all, in comparison). Or a better example, as said below: the Mega Man comics. And those are being made by Archie themselves!

Plus, starting a manga of Sonic would basically be asking for failure in Japan; something sure to be dead in the water on the get-go. Not even to mention that those mini-issues that appear in that monthly thing are very badly done in comparison to the American comics' art and storytelling quality (as of now, I mean).

Edited by Azookara
  • Thumbs Up 1

I do tend to like the comic a lot more when it blends to the game verse, like the crossover for instance. Most invested in the book I've been in a looong time, and it only took a cosmic retcon to do so. So yea, I would not mind a more game orientated universe while keeping its original characters. It'd basically be like the Mega Man comic, which is really how you do an adaption while staying true to the source.

• Thumbs Up 4

I do tend to like the comic a lot more when it blends to the game verse, like the crossover for instance. Most invested in the book I've been in a looong time, and it only took a cosmic retcon to do so. So yea, I would not mind a more game orientated universe while keeping its original characters. It'd basically be like the Mega Man comic, which is really how you do an adaption while staying true to the source.

Absolutely. I don't even mind the characters from the comics being in it as long as they fit the universe in a way similar to Archie's MM.