Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I don't actually think it's an Unleashed adaption. I was just rambling about how weak the plot of Unleashed actually was, why it was weak, what the writers of the comic book could do if it was adapted and why I'd want them to.

Maybe I should just do it myself~!

Edited by Chooch

I'm perfectly fine with redesigns of the characters, but I am not fine of comic universe being rebooted into the game universe for a few reasons:

1. Eventually Archie will run out of games to adapt!

2. I play the games for Sonic. I read the comics for Sonic and OTHER characters. If they started adapting the games into comics it will be all Sonic 24/7!

1) How would Archie run out of games to adapt in an extremely popular long running series that has new entries on a yearly basis? Usually multiple in one year even.

2) I play the games for Sonic and the other characters. If they adapt things properly it should be Sonic and the other characters. There's also the Archie exclusive characters on top of that.

3) A reboot that makes things more in line with the game universe does not mean that there is no room for creative liberty or original stories. Not everything is going to be a by the book adaption.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 3

Because the ruins on Angel Island should carry some sort of knowledge of the ancient world that he is familiar with. It still may not be a lot but it's something. I'd be fine with knowing little too if it was more or less impossible for me to figure out more. This is completely ignoring the simple fact that the Master Emerald has a very explicit tie to the Chaos Emeralds and he should have been involved in Unleashed's plot regardless.   Also I made a post years back about Knuckles where stating that I believe his skill as a "treasure hunter" came from him exploring the island for several years before anyone like Sonic or Eggman showed up. If he never bothered to explore the island thoroughly then how would he be able to get ahead of Sonic set traps for him all over Sonic 3 and Knuckles?
I would assume Angel Island would only contain information relevant to his ancestors' past, considering the Japanese manual for S3&K stated that the island was created specifically after his people were destroyed via divine intervention. Not everything that happened in the past happened on Angel Island. My point being, I don't expect Knuckles to know every single thing about Emerald lore anymore than I expect a security guard at a jeweler to be an expert in jewelry. He has a job to make sure that it's merely not stolen; you don't have to be an archaeologist to do that. I don't say any of this to say he should not have been in the game either. Everyone should've by all rights, at least him and Shadow considering we got word from PR that they were in; rather I think they did right in creating a character who specialized in Gaia lore instead.

Archie Mega Man stays fairly close to the games but what still sets it apart is that it does take time to do original arcs and introduces original characters whether they be human or robots because afterall, doing every game story after another will get stale.

Same thing could/should (depending on how you wanna look at it) go for Archie-Sonic.

Edited by DarkLight
  • Thumbs Up 2

Archie Mega Man stays fairly close to the games but what still sets it apart is that it does take time to do original arcs and introduces original characters whether they be human or robots because afterall, doing every game story after another will get stale.

Same thing could/should (depending on how you wanna look at it) go for Archie-Sonic.

Reading the first 8 issues of MegaMan turned me on to Sonic going the same route.

In fact, I remember being really into the NiGHTS comics as a kid. I thought the first three were a fun adaptation of the games that really went much more in depth with the story. The next three issues told a great sequel story using existing elements to tell something entirely new. Shame it got canned, as the next acc was going to be a Nightopean civil war.

• Thumbs Up 1

Because the ruins on Angel Island should carry some sort of knowledge of the ancient world that he is familiar with. It still may not be a lot but it's something. I'd be fine with knowing little too if it was more or less impossible for me to figure out more. This is completely ignoring the simple fact that the Master Emerald has a very explicit tie to the Chaos Emeralds and he should have been involved in Unleashed's plot regardless.

Also I made a post years back about Knuckles where stating that I believe his skill as a "treasure hunter" came from him exploring the island for several years before anyone like Sonic or Eggman showed up. If he never bothered to explore the island thoroughly then how would he be able to get ahead of Sonic set traps for him all over Sonic 3 and Knuckles?

I would think Angel Island would only house information relevant to his people (again, a subject he is admittedly ignorant of), especially considering the Japanese manual for S3&K states that the site of the disaster was thrown into the sky via divine intervention, and it's kinda corroborated with SA1's Angel Island anyway. Not everything that happened with the Emeralds in the past happened on Angel Island as well. Point being, I wouldn't expect Knuckles to be an expert in all of the lore surrounding the Emeralds anymore than I would expect a security guard at a jeweler to be an expect jeweler; in both instances, their job is to make sure nothing is stolen which doesn't require extensive knowledge of the article you're guarding.

This isn't to say that he shouldn't have been in Unleashed. By all rights, everyone should've considering the circumstances of the game, or at least him and Shadow considering we got PR word that they were in. Rather, I say all this to say it doesn't make sense for Knuckles to have been in the game on account of somehow being an expert on a worldwide phenomenon that could've only been recorded once. They did right in actually creating a Gaia expert. He should've been there because holy shit the fucking world has been blown up. xP

I would assume Angel Island would only contain information relevant to his ancestors' past, considering the Japanese manual for S3&K stated that the island was created specifically after his people were destroyed via divine intervention. Not everything that happened in the past happened on Angel Island. My point being, I don't expect Knuckles to know every single thing about Emerald lore anymore than I expect a security guard at a jeweler to be an expert in jewelry. He has a job to make sure that it's merely not stolen; you don't have to be an archaeologist to do that.

I don't say any of this to say he should not have been in the game either. Everyone should've by all rights, at least him and Shadow considering we got word from PR that they were in; rather I think they did right in creating a character who specialized in Gaia lore instead.

I understand your point, but I still feel like it makes sense that he'd have some knowledge of that simply because Angel Island was once part of the rest of the world and the Master Emerald's tie to the Chaos Emeralds. Why would something funky only happen to them and not the Master Emerald? It's just weird.

I'm not saying that he should be all end all encyclopedia for all sorts of ancient lore, but giving him some knowledge that he in turn can pass on to other characters when relevant makes sense. It would do a lot to flesh out the character. It'd certainly make him look like less of an idiot. A character who specializes in Gaia lore is definitely ideal but a character with knowledge of Emerald lore more than your average character compliments that, does it not?

..Maybe this should be its own topic.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 1

On the subject of the upcoming reboot, or whatever it is, I refreshed myself. From what I got from it, post-World's Collide issue 252 will see Mobius being torn apart. 253 proclaims "The Epic Journey Starts Here" and the synopsis hints at the redesign's occurring in this issue (those getting a re-design being Uncle Chuck, Antoine, Rotor, Bunnie, and Sally). The interconnected covers hint at a transition from one universe to another, given Sonic is leaping from issue 253's cover to issue 254's cover (proclaiming "enter a new world of adventure"). I'm guessing issue 255 will have Sonic completing his leap to the "new world" and the redesign of Sally appearing.   

n2f2lkv.jpg

There is something I find...wrong in Rotor's new design. Can't quite put my finger on it, though... the hat, perhaps?

Also...Bunnie has a ponytail now?

What's wrong with Antoine's design again?
He seems to have ditched his jacket and grew out his tail. Not saying those are bad things per se, but eh, you know how people act over these things...

Because the ruins on Angel Island should carry some sort of knowledge of the ancient world that he is familiar with. It still may not be a lot but it's something. I'd be fine with knowing little too if it was more or less impossible for me to figure out more. This is completely ignoring the simple fact that the Master Emerald has a very explicit tie to the Chaos Emeralds and he should have been involved in Unleashed's plot regardless.

Also I made a post years back about Knuckles where stating that I believe his skill as a "treasure hunter" came from him exploring the island for several years before anyone like Sonic or Eggman showed up. If he never bothered to explore the island thoroughly then how would he be able to get ahead of Sonic set traps for him all over Sonic 3 and Knuckles?

I need to add to Nepenthe and say that the Gaia Shrines are millions of years old. Pre-dating just about every other civilization known, including Knuckles' ancient tribe.

Now you could justify a connection via the Master Emerald with the Emeralds (or not in this case since it is a global crisis), but as far as that goes with the two Gaia's and the Temples I sincerely doubt Knuckles would know that much past his own island in other countries where they were located and in some cases had their own guardian. Especially considering that, as already said, Knuckles didn't even know much about his own ancient history prior to SA1, for all the talk of him being a treasure hunter.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc

The next cover will obviously have some of the baddies on it since Ian mentioned that the glove on the bottom right belongs to a non-SatAM bad guy. Trying to pinpoint who tho with the redesigns being made will be a tough task before the next cover actually gets released.

I don't think its an Unleashed arc purely because if the world is getting destroyed or torn apart what sane baddie would help Dark Gaia destroy their world? Eggman doesn't really care as long as he gets his overlord status. But most of the other baddies, as nasty as they may be, wouldn't want their home destroyed or in ruins. They generally want wealth, power, fame, but not to help destroy the planet. What good is their evil ambition without a planet to live on comfortably.

I do wonder if the other Sega characters will get a more modern design now too, the ones people have been mentioning in other posts. Mighty, Ray, Bean, Bark, Fang etc. would be interesting to see them get a "modern era" redesign.

Why would a baddie be helping anything? It can be, you know, a sheer disaster deal instead. We know it's not Eggman as he's busy running the world until he returns to the Death Egg, btw.

Bean and Bark are in the SU arc going alongside this, so we can see the changes to them there. Bark is the same pretty much, while Bean has a double stripe/double buckle thing on his shoes instead of one stripe. Mighty and Ray were likely changed because the former had clothes almost exactly like Sonic and the latter deviated from his SegaSonic counterpart by a hell of a lot (but still has that darn squirrel tail despite not being a squirrel). 

sanicnewdesigns.png

Better compiled pic of the new designs.

Edited by Captain Harlock
  • Thumbs Up 3

When it comes to people complaining about Antoine's new design, it reminds me of how much people complained when they made Sonic's eyes green......

What I mean is, if there is a disaster going on, why would they be bothering to fight Sonic & crew. Unless maybe someone promised them a way out should they stop them or something. I wouldn't see Thrash or Snivley or Finitevus etc being more interested in fighting Sonic than their own self preservation in a pure disaster situation. Only ones I could imagine doing that would be someone with control of the elements like Nagus or a very mad mind like Eggman, who as you say won't be there at that point. That's why it confuses me as to who the baddies will be they are fighting on the cover.

When it comes to people complaining about Antoine's new design, it reminds me of how much people complained when they made Sonic's eyes green......

....After Sonic 4 was announced, which was when it exploded into a meme.

Frankly, I see the difference in that they took away some aspects of Antoine compared to their adding on with Sonic...not that I'm complaining about it, but still that jacket was awesome. :lol:

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc

Well I got a nice package in the mail today. Apparently Archie sent me the first 11 issues of Worlds collide since I got that subscription deal about a week ago. Definitely gonna dive right in to those , I'm interested to see how good it really is. Saves having to buy the past few at least, thats a relief.