Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I suspect the uproar over Lien-Da is precisely because her design is so radically different from her previous incarnation compared to Julie-Su and Lara-Su...

Or it could be that it looks like Knuckles in fucking drag and goth make-up standing in a back alley posed like a lame hooker with a stuck-up nose and screams awkward from the pose to proportions.

Edited by Skyward Dusk
  • Thumbs Up 8

More words of wisdom from Penders.

The copyrights originate with the creator, be it a writer, artist, sculptor, etc., unless there is a written agreement in place between the creator and the buyer - in this case, the comic book publisher - BEFORE the work is created. That written agreement spells out who owns what, under what terms and how much the compensation is. Absent that agreement, there is no such thing as an automatic transfer of rights from the creator to the publisher, thus the work is not work-for-hire.

Let's look at the situation another way that may make things easier to understand.

Back in the 70's, Marvel Comics licensed the rights to produce CONAN THE BARBARIAN and DOC SAVAGE comic books. If you look around these days, those very same CONAN stories are published in reprint collections by Dark Horse Comics, while those very same DOC SAVAGE stories are collected in a trade paperback edition published by DC Comics. Even STAR TREK has made the rounds through several publishers, including Gold Key, DC, Marvel, Malibu and now IDW. How is this possible, you ask? None of the publishers owned any of the properties, just like Archie doesn't own the SONIC series. Somewhere down the road, at the very least there's a very good chance someone other than Archie will be reprinting the SONIC stories that have been published since the book began. This is possible due to the fact Archie Comics does not own any of the copyrights. None. Zero. Nada.

I hope this clears up any confusion you may have on the matter.

So according to him Archie owns nothing, and we all know that's wrong.

And at the end of the day everything really belongs to Sega.

Edited by Sheik
  • Thumbs Up 2

More words of wisdom from Penders.

So according to him Archie owns nothing, and we all know that's wrong.

And at the end of the day everything really belongs to Sega.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll admit, I would feel sorry for him if he weren't being a complete idiot and bringing this all on himself. I mean, if he loses this, what has he got left? He'll be reduced to even more of a laughing stock than he already is and he's unlikely to ever get hired by anyone within the industry again. His career will basically be over, moreso than it arguably already is.

Of course, I don't want to revel in another persons ruination, but like I said, the fact he's bringing this on himself with indescribable levels of idiocy. The sad thing is that if he really wanted to continue his little echidna love-in that badly, how difficult would it really be to rework it into an original concept? All he has to do is change the cast and the locations etc. As long as he keeps all the core plot components in place, it shouldn't matter whether whether they're echidnas on a floating island guarding the Master Emerald or a group of humans in an isolated underground village guarding some greater power. It'd be so easy to turn into something that would be a blatant ripoff.

But then, for all his bravado, Penders probably knows deep down his stuff won't sell. Which is why he's trying desperately to piggyback onto a bigger fanbase.

The thing is that even if Penders wins he'll never make enough money off of his echidna shit to justify the cost of this legal battle.

Plus Sega and EA will eat him alive.

Anyway enough of this bullshit. I'm looking foward to the Dr. Robotnik Sonic Universe story arc. Who's with me?

The thing is that even if Penders wins he'll never make enough money off of his echidna shit to justify the cost of this legal battle.

Plus Sega and EA will eat him alive.

Anyway enough of this bullshit. I'm looking foward to the Dr. Robotnik Sonic Universe story arc. Who's with me?

I definitely looking forward to that. Can't wait what he has for Mecha Sally.

Fanservice! Fun! Free advertising for the other medium! Why are we looking gift horses in the mouth? :/

I was asking because I never actually knew there was a crossever to begin with. Not like I am a fan of Sonic X either. That series can fuck off.

Actually, because of how bad it actually is now that we can see the drawing in detail, I'd say it's the laziest "Professional" drawing I've ever hovered my eyes on.

That might be an overreaction, but...just....Goddamn.

Stick to writing Ken. I guess that's something you do decently. Unless someone would like to prove that wrong.

Stick to writing Ken. I guess that's something you do decently. Unless someone would like to prove that wrong.

Where does one start? sleep.png

Don't tell me he can't make up for his horrid artwork with his writing?

Well, I've had a particularly bad day, any particularly bad stuff he's written?

Don't tell me he can't make up for his horrid artwork with his writing?

Well, I've had a particularly bad day, any particularly bad stuff he's written?

The comic series post-Endgame, pre-Ian Flynn?

The comic series post-Endgame, pre-Ian Flynn?

Why was that Horrible?

Every writer is going to have a bad egg of a story - all of the main Sonic writers certainly have had their fair share.

However one of the most WTF/totally OOC scenes ever was written by Ken in issue 157 when Eggman decided to pay a visit to Knothole - the same person that has basically ruined Mobius and affected the lives of everyone - so as a Freedom Fighter, what do you do? Apparently according to Rotor - NOTHING. Nope, you wait for him to blow crap up. Here is the excerpt from it:

Crowd: *gasp* // It's him! It's really him!! // What do we do?! // I dunno! Sound the alarm? Attack? // Where are the Freedom Fighters?! // SOMEBODY GET SONIC!

ROTOR: I suggest we do nothing - until he either makes trouble or we hear from the King!

TAILS: ROTOR!! But--but--we're the Freedom Fighters!!

ROTOR: But what?! Apparently he's committed no hostile action--

TAILS: He's evil!!

ROTOR: And until he does, we treat him as we would any visitor!

TAILS: ARE YOU NUTS? You think Sonic would agree with that game plan?!

I... I couldn't believe it when I read it. (and if you go back to Endgame when Robotnik showed up, Rotor was the first one breaking out his giant bazooka thing to shoot him)

• Thumbs Up 4

Oooooooh yeah that one, i remember that issue because of the SHTH-lookalike cover. what an oddball issue that was.

Sounds like he was trying to invoke something completely different...

Seems kind of weird to see the same sort of thing in the supposed-to-be more serious Archie comics.

Why was that Horrible?

The "Dark Ages" as the fan term goes for those comics, pretty much diskliked for having far too much drama and confusing plots going on, barely any action going on, pretty much very....not-so Sonic things. Also the artwork during most of those comics was just kinda a train wreck.

Their were some decent stories, but most you wouldn't believe it was a Sonic comic at all.

Edited by Dantemustdie00

I think the best story during the dark ages were "Return to Angel Island" as it had a refreshingly cartoony artstyle by Jon Gray, a good amount of action and comedy and drama where appropriate (in the form of Knuckles, who gets some nice development).

The worst was probably that joke of a milestone issue 150, nothing notable happened at all besides evil Sonic comming back and being a douche, it's a farcry from what we would get 25 issues later.

I think the best story during the dark ages were "Return to Angel Island" as it had a refreshingly cartoony artstyle by Jon Gray, a good amount of action and comedy and drama where appropriate (in the form of Knuckles, who gets some nice development).

The worst was probably that joke of a milestone issue 150, nothing notable happened at all besides evil Sonic comming back and being a douche, it's a farcry from what we would get 25 issues later.

Hilariously, Karl Bollers is the guy who wrote the "Return to Angel Island" arc, and he's the guy that wrote "the slap" that got him labelled as the worst writer on the book by many fans (I've even seen Anti-Sally fans say that it was a terrible way to write their breakup).

I agree, though. I can't remember any story from 130-159 that I enjoyed even close to as much. I mean, M25YL was an interesting idea, but I never felt it was pulled off well enough (though I still love Butler's art on it. But, then, I'm apparently the only one. Except for that Koala. That thing haunts my nightmares...).

God. 150. I was so excited when I bought it, then... just.... Every other Milestone has been a better...well, milestone. 25 had Metal, 50's obvious, 75 had Eggman/Robotnik return, 100 had Knux join the Dark Legion (if I recall, which was dumb, but at least a big thing), 125 had ALIEN APOCOLYPSE OH NO, 175 had Knothole destroyed (OH NO!), 200 had Eggman's defeat/mental snap, and 225 had DEATH EGG/BLAM BLAM BLAM/GENESIS (though the third part could be considered dry in comparison). But...Evil Sonic comes back? Without even an epic build up? Bad writing, man. Especially for a milestone.

I made something this morning, but I can't post it on Ken's board because I've been banned... ;A;

oh um

I think someone might have beaten you to the punch on that one.

IulX1.png

• Thumbs Up 3