Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

By first season I think he means the first 52 episodes, so really it's just not going into space.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Borvoc said:

Were the Sonic X comics any better than or different from the show, or did they basically try to keep to the same style and feel? I never like the "two worlds" aspect of the show or the importance of and focus on the original human characters at the expense of the Sega characters. That and they finally aged Chris up into potentially being less annoying and more useful only to immediately de-age him again with dimensional shenanigans.

Personally I still thing Sonic X has some qualities to respect. It the closest thing we have to real based-on-games Sonic cartoon and it just nailed characters like Rouge or Knuckles.

But if you didn't liked it, then Archie-X won't change your mind. There is bigger focus on Sega cast, but most stories are really generic, so is the art. Issue 5-6 was the closest to really fun story, where Eggman uses Chao as weapon.

Although, there are stories that are purely comedic. They range from terrible (Valentine issue) to actually pretty good ones, my favorite being 35 and 37. The biggest 'legacy' this series left was when Eggman became Luchadore called "El Grand Gordo".

• Thumbs Up 7

Looking back, I enjoyed the Sonic X comic for what it was (which is ironic considering at the time I was getting bored of it, only to realise I kind of missed it when it ended), not that what it was was anything significant.

I think it would've helped a lot more if Archie had hurried up and figured out what they wanted to do with Sonic X earlier on, and not wait until the final quarter of the shows lifespan to finally settle on an out-of-continuity comic series and call it a day.

• Thumbs Up 2

Take out Chris. The nanny. And that entire human cast. Humans are ok.  they were just annoying

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Issues 15 and 16, fans caught him out quickly though. 

I still don't know how the other creatives didn't catch him out right off the bat.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Ernest-Panda said:

I still don't know how the other creatives didn't catch him out right off the bat.

You mean working at archie? 

They might not have cared, or it might have not been in their best interest to say anything

The Sonic X comic was super traced. Not just those issues there were traces here and there on a lot of issues. Only the final issues really stopped the overabundant tracing.

The only other tracing I noticed was one panel in the issue where they're at the toystore.

...speaking of that issue, what a massive disappointment! The cover for that one made me legitimately think they were doing a super meta story where they exit the comic or something.

• Thumbs Up 1

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 9:46 AM, Meta77 said:

Sonic x was a mess of a comic.  that and I hate Chris with a passion

That's an odd way of saying Sonic X was an awesome hilarious comic.

The Sonic X comic was super traced. Not just those issues there were traces here and there on a lot of issues. Only the final issues really stopped the overabundant tracing.

What are you talking about? Outside of the Christmas and Valentine's issues there was no tracing at all.

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

That's an odd way of saying Sonic X was an awesome hilarious comic.

What are you talking about? Outside of the Christmas and Valentine's issues there was no tracing at all.

No no it was bad. As said it was just a villain of the month comic with eggman making some of the worse looking mechs or plots and sonic defeating him with chris tight on his butt hanging on the entire way.

Never will forget that horrible episode of chris trying to prevent sonic from going home cause he was just that far into sonics booty.

51 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

No no it was bad. As said it was just a villain of the month comic with eggman making some of the worse looking mechs or plots and sonic defeating him with chris tight on his butt hanging on the entire way.

Never will forget that horrible episode of chris trying to prevent sonic from going home cause he was just that far into sonics booty.

You're talking about the cartoon. I'm talking about the Comic where Eggman was a Luchador, Decoe and Bocoe worked at an Ice cream shop and Vector became a giant monster.

• Thumbs Up 2

Vector became a giant, but not a monster. That crap was reserved for Rabbot-Zilla.

...That's about all I know of the Sonic X comic. 

I remember quite much from the Sonic X comics from the mass of Dark Chao's to the last issue having Shadow return before it continued with Metal Sonic within the first Sonic Universe comic.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, SBR2 said:

You're talking about the cartoon. I'm talking about the Comic where Eggman was a Luchador, Decoe and Bocoe worked at an Ice cream shop and Vector became a giant monster.

Just wow lol yea I forgot those issues for good reason

Traced or not though I actually did prefer this stuff to the Archie Sonic stuff at that time. Mostly because it was quite simple compared to what Archie was doing at the time with the main book. It's when Flynn became the lead writing and did all this stuff trying to tie up all the stuff from Pender's run and Boller's and all this literally who's showing up and loose ends and ect ect. As a kid I didn't know what the hell was even happening at Archie. So I went with the Sonic X comics instead since I liked that show and was already familiar with it and the games. 

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Meta77 said:

Just wow lol yea I forgot those issues for good reason

Oh, no they did fun things. How horrible. *Eye roll*

On 4/7/2017 at 0:14 PM, MetalSkulkBane said:

Personally I still thing Sonic X has some qualities to respect. It the closest thing we have to real based-on-games Sonic cartoon and it just nailed characters like Rouge or Knuckles.

But if you didn't liked it, then Archie-X won't change your mind. There is bigger focus on Sega cast, but most stories are really generic, so is the art. Issue 5-6 was the closest to really fun story, where Eggman uses Chao as weapon.

Although, there are stories that are purely comedic. They range from terrible (Valentine issue) to actually pretty good ones, my favorite being 35 and 37. The biggest 'legacy' this series left was when Eggman became Luchadore called "El Grand Gordo".

You make a good point, though I felt they made Knuckles too much of a hothead, more so than he was portrayed in the Adventure games (where he was just dedicated and a little gullible due to seclusion from society). It is the closest cartoon to the games, though, and they did some nice ship-teasing. >:)

Also, having never read the Sonic X books myself, I forgot that El Grand Gordo was a thing. That's an amazing legacy for a TV show tie-in comic, and it sounds hilarious! Randomly, if I imagine the same idea in Sonic Boom, it doesn't seem as funny anymore for some reason, though.

23 hours ago, SBR2 said:

/me adds El Grand Gordo outfit and Decoe and Bocoe lackeys to wish list for unlockables in an Eggman-centered strategy game.

So far, I'm at:

Spoiler

Outfits:

• Genesis of a Villain
  • Pajamas (concept art)
  • Pajamas (Man of the Year)
  • Sonic costume (Man of the Year)
  • SatAM
  • AoSTH
  • Adventure
  • Nega
  • '06
  • El Grand Gordo
  • Boom

Lackeys:

• Snively
  • Cluck
  • Scratch
  • Grounder
  • Coconuts
  • Decoe
  • Bocoe
  • Orbot
  • Cubot

22 hours ago, kimplix said:

I remember quite much from the Sonic X comics from the mass of Dark Chao's to the last issue having Shadow return before it continued with Metal Sonic within the first Sonic Universe comic.

Wait. The last Sonic X comic tied in with the first Sonic Universe comic? That's insane!

Finally, a question for all: as someone who hasn't read either, how does everyone feel that the Sonic X book compares to the Sonic Boom book as an out-of-continuity comic series, as @Ernest-Panda so aptly put it?

Edit: Also, Sonic X never got collected into graphic novels, did it, unlike Sonic Boom?

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, Borvoc said:

You make a good point, though I felt they made Knuckles too much of a hothead, more so than he was portrayed in the Adventure games (where he was just dedicated and a little gullible due to seclusion from society). They are the closest cartoon to the games, though, and they did some nice ship-teasing. >:)

Also, having never read the Sonic X books myself, I forgot that El Grand Gordo was a thing. That's an amazing legacy for a TV show tie-in comic, and it sounds hilarious! Randomly, if I imagine the same idea in Sonic Boom, it doesn't seem as funny anymore for some reason, though.

/me adds El Grand Gordo outfit and Decoe and Bocoe lackeys to wish list for unlockables in an Eggman-centered strategy game.

So far, I'm at:

Hide contents

Outfits:

• Genesis of a Villain
  • Pajamas (concept art)
  • Pajamas (Man of the Year)
  • Sonic costume (Man of the Year)
  • SatAM
  • AoSTH
  • Adventure
  • Nega
  • '06
  • El Grand Gordo
  • Boom

Lackeys:

• Snively
  • Cluck
  • Scratch
  • Grounder
  • Coconuts
  • Decoe
  • Bocoe
  • Orbot
  • Cubot

Wait. The last Sonic X comic tied in with the first Sonic Universe comic? That's insane!

Finally, a question for all: as someone who hasn't read either, how does everyone feel that the Sonic X book compares to the Sonic Boom book as an out-of-continuity comic series, as @Ernest-Panda so aptly put it?

Sonic X wasn't quite as wacky as Boom, for one thing.

One thing that really sets the two comics apart more than anything else? It's actually the tone and format of the shows they're based on, and how the comic compliments them.

In Boom's case, the show is incredibly light on continuity, so its easy for the comic stories to settle in without contradicting anything.

Sonic X, on the other hand, was a show with an ongoing narrative, with firm episode-to-episode continuity. For the comics, this created a kind of awkward scenario where stories had to take place between certain episodes and arcs of the show, to the point where the first 15 or so issues kind of acted as "untold story" material: issues 7 to 11 served as a kind of lead in to the anime's Eggmoon saga, for example. That being said, it was kind of awkward getting it at that point since that particular arc of the anime had long since passed.

Later on in the comics lifespan it sort of came into this awkward limbo where time seemed to be perpetually stuck within the timespan of a single episode.

• Thumbs Up 6

1 hour ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Sonic X wasn't quite as wacky as Boom, for one thing.

One thing that really sets the two comics apart more than anything else? It's actually the tone and format of the shows they're based on, and how the comic compliments them.

In Boom's case, the show is incredibly light on continuity, so its easy for the comic stories to settle in without contradicting anything.

Sonic X, on the other hand, was a show with an ongoing narrative, with firm episode-to-episode continuity. For the comics, this created a kind of awkward scenario where stories had to take place between certain episodes and arcs of the show, to the point where the first 15 or so issues kind of acted as "untold story" material: issues 7 to 11 served as a kind of lead in to the anime's Eggmoon saga, for example. That being said, it was kind of awkward getting it at that point since that particular arc of the anime had long since passed.

Later on in the comics lifespan it sort of came into this awkward limbo where time seemed to be perpetually stuck within the timespan of a single episode.

Yeah I always found it weird that like the first 9 issues are set between the Adventure arcs despite the fact that the Adventure 2 arc starts up with everyone cleaning up from Perfect Chaos's attack and Chris moving to Central City.

• Thumbs Up 2

34 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Yeah I always found it weird that like the first 9 issues are set between the Adventure arcs despite the fact that the Adventure 2 arc starts up with everyone cleaning up from Perfect Chaos's attack and Chris moving to Central City.

Was that placement ever confirmed? I always thought they could have just as easily been set between the end of the SA2 arc and the Chaotix episode.