Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

1 minute ago, Mayor D said:

When was the last time anyone got an issue of this comic? 

January 11th, when Sonic Universe 94 came out. 

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

I wish someone anyone would just be upfront and tell us why this us going on

" well due to some weird misshap, we found out penders actually now owns all the FF and half the sega characters and we don't know exactly why that is" 

• Thumbs Up 5

@Shadowlax lol. Due to the sudden rupture of an event loophole connecting our reality to an alternate retcon of the book continuity in an alternate dimension, Ken Penders now owns Sega but is stuck in a counter-Genesis Wave made entirely of kittens. Please stand by.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Meta77 said:

As far as milestones go 25 was great and so was 50. 75 was eh decent. 100 was decent. 125 art was great to some parts the story not so much. 150 I tore and did not care .  175 200 225 were good story arcs. 250 was a crossover. I enjoyed it for what it was.  same for 275. And were not getting 300 for the foreseeable future

25 was okay, nowadays I would expect more.  Sonic just kinda wins, with no real drama. And only interaction with Metal is when he tripped Sonic in very silly way.

50 was... epic in scale, but let's say I have few complains. Starting with that idiotic 'traitor' plot and it's idiotic resolution.

75 as better, mostly because I liked the way they brought back Robotnik.

100... was it even a celebration? Barely felt like one. I guess it was okay, for Sonic that is. Knuckles 'welcome to the dark side' was dumb in so many ways.

125 was meh, with SOME nice art.

150 is about Evil Sonic making out with girls and Titan Tails. There is nothing more to say.

175 was pretty epic, even if Eggman making fun of Sonic's love-life is really petty even for Eggman. And talking about later parts "baddie isn't listening to his lackey" is somewhat tiresome cliche.

200 wasn't much of a grand story. I think Flynn tried to make it different from 50th issue by making it simpler, personal, less grand. I see the idea, but it's still feels a bit disappointing.

225 was really good, although it's a start of bigger storyline (whole Mecha Sally arguably) so I find it hard to judge as standalone issue

Last two are big crossover fights. 250 is admittedly really epic, 275 not so much.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

100... was it even a celebration? Barely felt like one.

Now, I can't remember where I read this, but I could've sworn there was some interview from years and years ago where it was mentioned that the intended story for #100 had to be massively reworked due to Sega forcing them to do the SA2 tie-in for #98.  I think I remember it being said that what we got in #101 with Knuckles warping reality was the intended #100, but I'm not positive.

8 hours ago, Tylinos said:

Now, I can't remember where I read this, but I could've sworn there was some interview from years and years ago where it was mentioned that the intended story for #100 had to be massively reworked due to Sega forcing them to do the SA2 tie-in for #98.  I think I remember it being said that what we got in #101 with Knuckles warping reality was the intended #100, but I'm not positive.

Still it was bad

50. 25. 275. 250. 200. 175. 125. 75. 100. 150

I think that's tight. That's how I rank good to meh

8 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

25 was okay, nowadays I would expect more.  Sonic just kinda wins, with no real drama. And only interaction with Metal is when he tripped Sonic in very silly way.

50 was... epic in scale, but let's say I have few complains. Starting with that idiotic 'traitor' plot and it's idiotic resolution.

75 as better, mostly because I liked the way they brought back Robotnik.

100... was it even a celebration? Barely felt like one. I guess it was okay, for Sonic that is. Knuckles 'welcome to the dark side' was dumb in so many ways.

125 was meh, with SOME nice art.

150 is about Evil Sonic making out with girls and Titan Tails. There is nothing more to say.

175 was pretty epic, even if Eggman making fun of Sonic's love-life is really petty even for Eggman. And talking about later parts "baddie isn't listening to his lackey" is somewhat tiresome cliche.

200 wasn't much of a grand story. I think Flynn tried to make it different from 50th issue by making it simpler, personal, less grand. I see the idea, but it's still feels a bit disappointing.

225 was really good, although it's a start of bigger storyline (whole Mecha Sally arguably) so I find it hard to judge as standalone issue

Last two are big crossover fights. 250 is admittedly really epic, 275 not so much.

Can I lay devils advocate for 275? I mean compared to 250 it was missing banter between the characters but I honestly thought the fight itself was pretty fun. There were some neat teamups and a good amount of Focus on just about everyone.

Sure it would have been better if the various characters played off each other more but I honestly don't get why 275 is so hated.

• Thumbs Up 4

Aww, I for one appreciate greatly the action-packed issue 175 and what came after that. It was actually pretty awesome for my liking at least.

Nice to see Sonic so all-out like in that one.

And I love those facial expressions Mr. Yardley drew in these issues, the atmosphere and story flow were pretty good for me, there was action but also some calmer parts while the pressure still felt in every page, I think. And consequences, I liked that in these comics a lot. Things actually caused some other things to happen, which can actually be seen in Mr. Flynn's pre-reboot writing as a whole as far as I can see.

And yeah, I'm not that disappointed of #275 either.

Well around that issue stories linked up. Meaning each comic proceeded the next. Back in my childhood aka the start while the plot started to develop after 25 no issue really followed the last one. Each comic was it's own tale to a overall larger story. Now each tale is typically 4 to 5 issues and continue a flowing story

My lankmark issues by category:

Good: 25, 75, 125, 175, 200, 225, 250

Meh: 50, 275

Bad: 100, 150

While we're on the subject, how have the landmarks of spin-off titles been to you?

• Thumbs Up 2

34 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

My lankmark issues by category:

While we're on the subject, how have the landmarks of spin-off titles been to you?

Sonic universe mess of a 50 pisses me off. One of my fav new characters and you end it like that!

And 25. I've always like enerjavk but him being beat by silver was sully even sonic had to go super on him

75 was a meh

Come to think of it, that "original" plan of SU #50 giving a closure for Sonic Underground would've been quite interesting. That "Shard got destroyed maybe" placeholder was what it was, I don't know if it was bad per se. I don't think so after all.

I don't really know about that Silver thing though, it was kind of nice that Silver did some self-studying (even when he did it in wrong places mind you, you just don't space out in the middle of the battle with a demi-god if you know what's good for your health) and the story atmosphere (again) kept me interested. And actually, Dark Enerjak kind of beat himself, Silver just acted as a "mirror" reflecting his shots (it still takes some concentration to take all degrees right, or else the shot gets trough because it won't reflect (fully at least). Physichist joke~! Why nobody's laughing..). Oh. ooh... Now I got all those references in subtitles... probably in wrong way though... 

And remember what Silver said in there about two overpowered guys whacking each other to no avail... I'd agree on that. ^_^

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know about the best, but I can assure you #150 is one of the worst, wastes of reading material. The same with #100 to a lesser extent.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, RobotnikHolmes said:

I don't know about the best, but I can assure you #150 is one of the worst, wastes of reading material. The same with #100 to a lesser extent.

How dare you! You just hush titan tails was a masterpiece. God I was crying when I saw him!!!!

• Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

My landmark issues by category:

You means SU? There is little reason to talk about Sonic X or KtE.

25 - beginning of epic storyline. I mean, that last page is just awesome. Also yardley art combine with Dillon's coloring is delicious rarity. (Funny that whole arc is a huge reference to Flynn's fanfic: Sonic Other M.)

50 - I love Metal Sonic, so obviously I think it was great. I actually preferred SU 1, but still solid story.

75 - cute little story, but let's face it, it wasn't a celebration at all.

• Thumbs Up 2

I sure do envy whoever owns that final SU25 page... ;)

Also, I decided to also rank the landmarks by how much I like the covers, and they go as (best to worst):

225, 125, 200, 175, 250, 25, 50, 75, 100, 275, 150

• Thumbs Up 2

@Ernest-Panda Was the last page of SU#25 a particularly good page? Don't tell me you have every other page from that issue and wish you could finish the collection.