Awoo.

Roger Craig "Consoles" Smith new voice of Sonic & The God Damn Batman!

Badnik Mechanic

*points to cute doggy picture* Am I alone in thinking that Ryan fans nor Jason fans have reacted in signficantly silly manner as a result of this rumor (yet), and that those who are bringing up the controversy are ironically the ones that are against said controversy? =/

I'd like to think you're right, but the fact that people are already beginning to "debate" over the matter again says otherwise. And you can't fault me for not wanting that absolutely bullshit "Jason vs. Ryan War" to not happen again.

Edited by EXshad

*points to cute doggy picture* Am I alone in thinking that Ryan fans nor Jason fans have reacted in signficantly silly manner as a result of this rumor (yet), and that those who are bringing up the controversy are ironically the ones that are against said controversy? =/

I'd say it's basically wishful thinking that it doesn't happen again, but preparing for it to happen anyway, just in case.

Plus, it brings up some nice joking opprotunities.

Yeah, agreed. I really don't see how anyone's overreacting to this yet...

Also, I don't see how saying you hope Ryan comes back (when talking about the subject of Jason leaving) makes you some sort of troll. As I said earlier, if Jason is really leaving, I hope Ryan replaces him. As long as you don't do anything crazy, like make petitions or something, I don't see the problem.

All I'll say that I haven't already is this: if Sega would desire to bring Ryan back, I would welcome him with open arms.

The big question is, WHY isn't Jason voicing Sonic? Is it a one-time thing? Did he personally decide to leave the role? Did Sega force him out? And if so, why? How many of the other cast members are staying besides Mike? Could they be bringing back the old cast?

So many questions. Can't wait to have 'em answered. Whatever the case, it should provide some interesting stuff to talk about.

I'd like to think you're right, but the fact that people are already beginning to "debate" over the matter again says otherwise. And you can't fault me for not wanting that absolutely bullshit "Jason vs. Ryan War" to not happen again.

What debate? I've not seen anything on the forum remotely relating to the "debate" that was happening when Ryan was fired, beyond a few people merely asking for Ryan to return, but someone took that and extrapolated it to fantard behavior instead.

Trust me, I understand not wanting that debate to ever crop up again; It makes me ashamed in a few ways since I didn't like Jason either. But geez, like I said, I'm anxious of even saying I wouldn't mind Ryan coming back for fear someone will construe that to mean I'm bringing up that silly debate again.

@ Lime: tongue.gif I do see what you mean about the joking opportunities, but some people here are taking it too seriously when, well, nothing's happened yet.

Reading back through the news story on TSS.... thats not... quite everything... at least not what I'm aware of. Like what was said before, the story wasn't put up yesterday because there was some talking going on as to what could/couldn't/shouldn't be said... and I don't think that everything has been said that all the sources told that guy.

I don't know the details myself, but when Shadz and I were comparing what we both knew, he knew a lot more than me (based on what he was told), and whats on the TSS right now is NOT the full story. I think that theres a lot more which wasn't put up, and if it's what I think it is... boy oh boy... people might be in for a shock.

Yeah, agreed. I really don't see how anyone's overreacting to this yet...

It was 2am when the story was put up in the UK... we're all sleepy byes!

@ Nepenthe: Like I said, it seems people are merely bracing themselves for the worst in hopes the debate doesn't come up again.

The way I see it, the only way to settle said debate is a boxing match between Ryan and Jason. DRUMMOND VS. GRIFFITH THIS THURSDAY ON HBO!

Edited by LimeTH

Oh come on. Don't claim he never had passion for the role when he so clearly did, he put up with insults thanks to his work on Sonic X, then continued for a good 5 years despite constant abuse and campaigns yet he got better and better at the job.

This line of "Oh he can't remember what he did, that shows he doesn't care" if anything that shows just how little you know about guys and girls like him.

When you perform and the product is out and done with, you'd be amazed how quickly you forget stuff, I've acted on stage had plays written and shown, yet I can't remember every single thing about them. Take any performer, writer, singer you name it, they cannot remember every significant detail. Does that mean they have no passion? Does that mean they don't care? Like hell it does.

Alright, fair enough, don't forget he does get paid to do voice so it's possible that his not quiting has nothing to do with passion and much more to do with $$$. And perhaps he has more passion for the role than I gave him credit for but I want Sonic's VA to be much more passionate than most VAs-- I want him to be a true fan of the series and I'm sorry but I don't see that in Jason. I have nothing against him but I want to see someone with something extra.

I'm not going to miss the strange softness that 4kids voice overs all seem to have, which I ironically found very irritating.

That's apparently happening again as well.

Edit: Yep, I just got Ninja'd by the proof.

Edited by Phos

Actually, I checked in the "Franchise Changing News" article and it turns out that I did actually suggest a change of voice actors, it was comment number six and AAUK said that all the previous comments before his were wrong so... maybe he's not leaving.

Actually, I checked in the "Franchise Changing News" article and it turns out that I did actually suggest a change of voice actors, it was comment number six and AAUK said that all the previous comments before his were wrong so... maybe he's not leaving.

I think he just meant that it's not thursday's announcment. Theres still the possibility Jason could be leaving.

Edge: This is not the big announcement for sure, but it seems likely.

EDIT: Seems I was beaten to it, hehe.

Edited by XD375

What debate? I've not seen anything on the forum remotely relating to the "debate" that was happening when Ryan was fired, beyond a few people merely asking for Ryan to return, but someone took that and extrapolated it to fantard behavior instead.

Trust me, I understand not wanting that debate to ever crop up again; It makes me ashamed in a few ways since I didn't like Jason either. But geez, like I said, I'm anxious of even saying I wouldn't mind Ryan coming back for fear someone will construe that to mean I'm bringing up that silly debate again.

@ Lime: tongue.gif I do see what you mean about the joking opportunities, but some people here are taking it too seriously when, well, nothing's happened yet.

Eh, I'm just sayin'. I mean, just the fact that people are arguing about Jason's passion for the franchise compared to Ryan's and how a particular user actually thought the games "couldn't be taken seriously" over Sonic's voice just kinda is... sad. Especially after what happened with Spax and everyone else. Youtube was almost consumed by a virtual video war over Sonic's voice actor. That was followed by my faith in the human race dropping to the negatives.

I REALLY don't want it to happen again. It's so trivial, and I don't understand why some people take it so damn seriously. And last time, when people said "I hope Ryan's coming back!" it was usually synonymous with "Ryan better be fucking coming back or I'm gonna make twenty youtube videos on why someone who doesn't agree with that deserves to DIE!"

If Jason leaves and someone else is announced, I know a few people will probably go batshit crazy over the news, but I seriously hope the fandom as a whole can just say "oh cool", discuss what they think for a few days like they do with any other announcement, and just move on. Or maybe we'll just find something else that's just as trivial to bitch over. It's how we roll.

BUT with that said, I'm sure it won't happen again, and to be optimistic, I'm just gonna agree with you :)

Edited by EXshad

A potential convert! Join me, you will submit! :P

I sure hope this isn't the franchise changing news, because:

1. It'll probably cause more arguing about VAs.

2. Personally, I think that currently, Jason is better than Ryan ever was, not saying Ryan was bad, but Jason has really improved from the early episodes of X, where I thought he was terrible compared to Ryan.

I think that theres a lot more which wasn't put up, and if it's what I think it is... boy oh boy... people might be in for a shock.

Aw man, now you have me all excited.

Yay! Every time I refresh, there's more posts! Things are getting pretty exciting, now. A word of fair warning, though, I will laugh in your faces if this rumor turns out to be false, if not, then oh well, a 5 year run isn't too bad.

So if Jason is gone? Why would you think that Ryan will come back in his place? I expect someone new actually

So if Jason is gone? Why would you think that Ryan will come back in his place? I expect someone new actually

Why not? He played Sonic for years, fans are familiar with him, and he's really dedicated to the character.

It all depends, of course, on the circumstances behind Jason's departure. The only reason we got Jason in the first place was because Yuji Naka wanted Sonic to have the same voice in the games as he did in Sonic X.

Yay! Every time I refresh, there's more posts! Things are getting pretty exciting, now.

I have to agree. All this debate about the rumor is actually pretty exciting. I can finally say I actually participated in an event in the fanbase instead of sitting around and watching it unfold from the sidelines.

As for Ryan returning, I would welcome the possibility, but the guy lost the job 5 years ago. They'll probably hire a new guy. I honestly have no idea who they'll get to do it though. An A-lister voice actor would be awesome, however.

I think that theres a lot more which wasn't put up, and if it's what I think it is... boy oh boy... people might be in for a shock.

...What? Is the new voice actor gonna be the hotel guy? Please tell me that the new VA's not gonna be the hote-

I’m the tipster from the article. I can say from what I’ve gathered that the new Sonic voice is most likely the one from the hotel room, but I can’t guarantee that.

FUCK. D:

Please SEGA, anyone but the hotel guy. D:

Edited by gamerguy21

Considering the circumstances of his departure, I doubt that Ryan would want to come back unless he's having major trouble finding work. I also rather doubt that SEGA would beg for him to come back after so many years, so if this is true, chances are slim to nil that Ryan will get the role back.

...I really have a thing for consistency, so I'd prefer it if Jason stayed, but there's also something undeniably exciting for me about seeing a voice role recast. I'll be disappointed at first, but then the hype will kick in and I'll probably be a happy camper anyway.

Also, I clearly need to hear this hotel guy.

XD375, the tipster has posted the below in Dread's article. It's one of the pieces of info that he was talking to me about that hasn't been revealed in Dread's article -

XD375 says:

14 July, 2010 at 3:35 am

I’m the tipster from the article. I can say from what I’ve gathered that the new Sonic voice is most likely the one from the hotel room, but I can’t guarantee that.

http://www.sonicstadium.org/news/rumour-jason-griffith-leaving-sonic-role#comments

EDIT:

Ninja'd with the comment :lol:

Considering the circumstances of his departure, I doubt that Ryan would want to come back unless he's having major trouble finding work.

Ryan has regularly reported to this day that he is still interested in being Sonic and he continues to attempt to make negotiations.

I somewhat feel I am making a mistake by pointing this out, though. \:

• Thumbs Up 1

Does anyone actually believe that SEGA would be so stupid as to gie the job to the Hotel Guy? Seriously I can't imagine that someone at SEGA wouldn't say "no!" to that. Surely there are better voice actors out there that they could have chosen.