Awoo.

Roger Craig "Consoles" Smith new voice of Sonic & The God Damn Batman!

Badnik Mechanic

Aw I hope it's not true. Jason was just getting good at voicing Sonic. :(

But if it is what a crummy announcement. Though I would like to see what he sounds like.

Believe it or not, I had a feeling it was you.

When the E3 gameplay footage of Sonic Colors was released and people heard the "announcer's voice", you went around saying that there was a rumor going around that it is Sonic's new voice (or something like that). Then when Gnasher replied in this topic, he said that the "source has replied in this topic", and your post was just a few above his. That, and I had a weird gut feeling. =P

But anyway, I do truly hope that the person in the Colors gameplay isn't Sonic's new voice. Or if it is, that the echo effect makes it sound worse than it actually is.

I still think that that voice in Colours in an announcer. It's very different to the one when Sonic is jumping, homing and switching rails (which I honestly still think sounds like Jason from those few grunts).

I still think that that voice in Colours in an announcer. It's very different to the one when Sonic is jumping, homing and switching rails (which I honestly still think sounds like Jason from those few grunts).

Like I said earlier on, I'm quite sure that those are of the announcer, and I don't believe that the announcer is the guy who does the Alton Tower voice either.

I like how Dread's used one of Sonic's past lines as a tag on the article -

Tags: Aren't You Worried?

:lol:

• Thumbs Up 2

I like how Dread's used one of Sonic's past lines as a tag on the article -

:lol:

That made me chuckle to.

Although I think a funnier one would have been "Noooo way! I don't believe this!"

• Thumbs Up 2

Lmao some few people in the comment box on that news post are already asking for Ryan to return unfuckingbelieveable XD

RaveToTheGrave says: 14 July, 2010 at 2:14 am PLEASE bring back the voice actor BEFORE Jason, I forgot his name. ;-;

Doesn't know his name is yet he wants him back XD

Edge says: 14 July, 2010 at 2:34 am If he does leave I really hope SEGA will hire Ryan, considering the fact that he told 4Kids he would move to a new home just to voice Sonic in Sonic X, I think he deserves it.

Maybe this is the big news?

Oh gawd it starting again

Edited by Crash
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

^ Well crap. I'll be in the bomb shelter.

This probably isn't the announcement, but if Jason really is going, then thats a bit sad. I've grown to like his work as Sonic.

Having Ryan Drummond back would be cool, but I wouldn't count on it.

Wait, that voice that calls out the power ups is different then the voice doing the grunts for Sonic. There is no way they're the same. The grunts sound like Jason's Sonic to me. While the power up voice is campy and over the top. Which is fine and even kinda fun/fitting for some random announcer guy but would be awful for the main character.

We need more leaks! Someone call partnernet!

This does not prove Griffith isn't voicing Sonic in Colours.

I'm a lurker here, but I really feel I need to point out that Griffith doesn't play or follow the Sonic games. At NoBrandCon last year, he said he doesn't own any next-gen consoles, and when Sega send him the games, he would usually give them to his little brother. He also had trouble remembering the title of Sonic and the Black Knight, with one of the audience members or assistants having to remind him of the name of the game. He also didn't know what Sonic's taunt line was in Smash Bros Brawl when someone requested the line to be said; again, someone jumped in with the line to help him here.

In that facebook message, he states that he doesn't know who is voicing Sonic in the video, so he can't say for sure. I took that to mean that he's unaware of whether or not that actually is his voice being heard in the E3 demo, as he could either be unaware or forgetful of the titles of the games he has recorded for.

From his point of view, he records lines for Sonic now and then. At one point, someone posts a gameplay video on Facebook and says "Is this you voicing Sonic here?" Griffith may have never seen the footage before, nor know what game it is from, and is also taking the NDA's into consideration when he answers, so he plays it safe (and sincere) by saying he simply doesn't know.

Additonally, didn't AAUK state that every guess heard regarding the announcement was incorrect?

My point is; given Griffith's lack of knowledge about the series, and given the fact that it just doesn't seem right that Sega would actively pursue another voice actor instead of just bringing Griffith back, which at thispoint makes more sense as well as being more convenient...the notion just doesn't ring true.

If that Facebook message is the source of the rumours regarding Griffith not being in Colours, then I still believe Jason will voice Sonic in Colours, and beyond.

• Thumbs Up 1

Do these people honestly think that this guy is sitting in his house everyday next to the phone waiting for Sega to call back like a depressed 15 year old girl waiting for her sweetheart, while blindly forgetting that it's been 5 YEARS since he lost that job?

If Jason really has gone. I think that a lot of fans really owe him an apology. Considering the level of crap he recieved from people at the start then during his whole career was absurd. So many people acted like lunatics and sadly some still do when it comes to his voice. Yes, you are allowed not to like him. but making campaigns, putting up posters, mass spamming messages to people demanding a change. Pathetic.

He got better with every game that came and went, he did a very good job consiering the pressure he must have been under, regardless as to if he was asked to go or went of his own accord, he's done it with dignity.

Lmao some few people in the comment box on that news post are already asking for Ryan to return unfuckingbelieveable XD

Doesn't know his name yet he wants him back XD

Oh gawd it starting again

Hence the topic description. It's going to happen, and I think if people do seriously start the bring back Ryan campaign again they will get a lot of stick from people. Don't know about the rest of you, but I don't want to see those people making those arguments again.

Additonally, didn't AAUK state that every guess heard regarding the announcement was incorrect?

AAUK said every guess above his comment on the below article was wrong, voice acting isn't mentioned in any of those comments -

http://www.sonicstadium.org/news/sonic-colours-and-franchise-changing-news-coming-this-week/comment-page-1#comments

He's comment 36 down.

If Jason really has gone. I think that a lot of fans really owe him an apology. Considering the level of crap he recieved from people at the start then during his whole career was absurd. So many people acted like lunatics and sadly some still do when it comes to his voice. Yes, you are allowed not to like him. but making campaigns, putting up posters, mass spamming messages to people demanding a change. Pathetic.

I couldn't agree more. I actually wonder if he has left the job, it's because of all the pressure he gets put under by the fans. The fans were absolute shit to him. Now he's quitting, and ten bucks says those exact same fans are gonna throw a shitfit at the new voice for not being Jason.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm kind of glad that Jasons out just because he doesn't really seem invested in the role. As far as I'm concerned the voice of Sonic should be someone who cares about the character enough to at least remember the names of the games he voicing in. I hope whoever the replacement is has more passion than he does. *Crosses fingers for Ryan* (And yes I am aware that in all likelihood Ryan won't be back but that WOULD be good news)

• Thumbs Up 1

You do have a point there. Another guess I had is that maybe SEGA simply hasn't contacted him yet, or something, though that's not as believable seeing as we already have some of Eggman's lines in the demo.

Yeah, and don't forget that Mike Pollock who we know for a fact is voicing Eggman in Colours, practically gave the same answer as Jason, except Jason just added the "Not sure" part.

I'm still 90% certain it'll still be Jason, with the 10% doubt only stemming from the panic-y/excited atmosphere of this forum right now.

EDIT: Point taken Shadzter, but it's not enough to sway my opinion. B)

Edited by Emerald Keeper

I'm a lurker here, but I really feel I need to point out that Griffith doesn't play or follow the Sonic games. At NoBrandCon last year, he said he doesn't own any next-gen consoles, and when Sega send him the games, he would usually give them to his little brother. He also had trouble remembering the title of Sonic and the Black Knight, with one of the audience members or assistants having to remind him of the name of the game.

Ok/so what? What does that have to do with his standing as a voice actor? I own a Wii yet I've got no plans on getting black Knight, finishing Secret Rings or even getting colours (as wonderful as it looks because I just don't like playing with me wii (Muhahaha! I made a funny ---- Master Splinter)). Does that mean I shouldn't be the next voice actor>

He also didn't know what Sonic's taunt line was in Smash Bros Brawl when someone requested the line to be said; again, someone jumped in with the line to help him here.

Well I was under the impression that they were re-cycled clips, is it really his fault that he didn't play a non Sonic game that requires several completition attempts before you unlock Sonic and then play him?

I never unlocked Sonic because I hated Brawl... So by your thinking I must not have much interest in Sonic either right?

But even if they're not. You really have no clue how voice acting works do you? You record multiple lines and more lines than you use, theres no way you would know until the final product is out in the store..

Edited by Gnasher

If these types of comments are considered unfuckingbelievable, we might as well not even say the man's name. That's hardly out of line considering the relevancy of the subject matter as well as how bad Ryan diehards really were back in the day, and I think some of you are being a little too preemptive about this whole upcoming controversy. Hell, I wouldn't mind if the guy came back either; I mean, I liked his acting, but I feel like I have to be quiet about my admiration of him or otherwise. xP

• Thumbs Up 3

Crash... the reason I am asking for Ryan to return is because I would rather have someone who has had experience with the character rather than a guy that has had no experience (example: the Alton Towers Sonic)

I just think it would be nice to have him back since he was so devoted to the character and really deserves to voice Sonic more than someone like Jason, who could really care less about the series as seen from the comments above... Personally, I thought that he was a terrible actor in Adventure, Shuffle, and some parts of Adventure 2 (of course, ninety percent of the freaking original cast couldn't act, particularly Tails' actor).

And seriously, what did you expect? When news like this breaks people will suggest actors, and a lot of people love Ryan's role, so seriously, this surprises you?

If these types of comments are considered unfuckingbelievable, we might as well not even say the man's name. That's hardly out of line considering the relevancy of the subject matter as well as how bad Ryan diehards really were back in the day, and I think some of you are being a little too preemptive about this whole upcoming controversy. Hell, I wouldn't mind if the guy came back either; I mean, I liked his acting, but I feel like I have to be quiet about my admiration of him or otherwise. xP

Thank you.

AAUK said every guess above his comment on the below article was wrong, voice acting isn't mentioned in any of those comments -

http://www.sonicstadium.org/news/sonic-colours-and-franchise-changing-news-coming-this-week/comment-page-1#comments

He's comment 36 down.

Actually, I suggested a voice actor change being the big news it was actually the 3rd or 4th comment. Of course my comment may not have shown up since a lot of the comments I leave on stories haven't been going up until I actually sign in.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I'm kind of glad that Jasons out just because he doesn't really seem invested in the role. As far as I'm concerned the voice of Sonic should be someone who cares about the character enough to at least remember the names of the games he voicing in. I hope whoever the replacement is has more passion than he does.

Oh come on. Don't claim he never had passion for the role when he so clearly did, he put up with insults thanks to his work on Sonic X, then continued for a good 5 years despite constant abuse and campaigns yet he got better and better at the job.

This line of "Oh he can't remember what he did, that shows he doesn't care" if anything that shows just how little you know about guys and girls like him.

When you perform and the product is out and done with, you'd be amazed how quickly you forget stuff, I've acted on stage had plays written and shown, yet I can't remember every single thing about them. Take any performer, writer, singer you name it, they cannot remember every significant detail. Does that mean they have no passion? Does that mean they don't care? Like hell it does.

• Thumbs Up 1

I talked to Griffith during that event last year in which they had Griffith and Pollock on Yahoo voice chat. Griffith revealed there that he loved Sonic, he had a Sega CD, and his favourite game was Sonic CD, and he thinks about playing those old Sonic games when he does his voice. He obviously has a passion - any rumours that he didn't stemmed from either Spax, Save Sonic, or YouTube.

Edited by XD375

Ok/so what? What does that have to do with his standing as a voice actor? I own a Wii yet I've got no plans on getting black Knight, finishing Secret Rings or even getting colours (as wonderful as it looks because I just don't like playing with me wii (Muhahaha! I made a funny ---- Master Splinter)). Does that mean I shouldn't be the next voice actor>

Well I was under the impression that they were re-cycled clips, is it really his fault that he didn't play a non Sonic game that requires several completition attempts before you unlock Sonic and then play him?

I never unlocked Sonic because I hated Brawl... So by your thinking I must not have much interest in Sonic either right?

But even if they're not. You really have no clue how voice acting works do you? You record multiple lines and more lines than you use, theres no way you would know until the final product is out in the store..

Gnasher, you've mis-understood what I'm saying, and supported my point in the process. I'm not saying whether or not Griffith should be voicing Sonic.

I'm giving reasons as to why I believe Jason will continue to voice Sonic in Colours and beyond. He could be unaware of what he has voiced Sonic in. Check out my longer post again, it could simply be him saying "I don't know if that's me or not, dude", while also taking his NDA into consideration, just like Mike did when he answered a fan. I'm not criticizing Jason about anything. I'm pointing out certain things that may lend creedence to how he may have recorded Colours, and is unaware of what he has and hasn't done in terms of categorizing them into games.

XD375: Yep, I emailed him at one point, and he gave me similar information. However, the fact remains that he does not own the next-gen consoles, which is where the Sonic games have been based since 2006.

I must emphasize that I personally think Jason does a great Sonic and If I'm wrong about this, I will be sad to see him go. My points are not to criticize him, but to simply further the case that he may not be leaving.

Edited by Emerald Keeper

*points to cute doggy picture* Am I alone in thinking that Ryan fans nor Jason fans have reacted in signficantly silly manner as a result of this rumor (yet), and that those who are bringing up the controversy are ironically the ones that are against said controversy? =/