Awoo.

Kid Icarus: Uprising

Marcello

Finished the game a few days ago, gonna give my full spoilered opinion right here.

Okay. Last time I spoke about this game, I was about halfway through the campaign and I was enjoying it immensely. I mean seriously, up to that point, Uprising was probably one of the best gaming experiences I've had in the past year.

But now? ...I think it's probably one of the best gaming experiences I've had full stop. I mean jeez, it really is that good. It's probably one of the best franchise revivals I've ever witnessed as well. Truly fantastic.

Let's start off with the story. Now this is probably the most un-Nintendo story that has ever been put on a Nintendo explain. Now I'm not saying that Nintendo games have never had good and deep stories, the Paper Mario games are testament enough to that, but it's the overall "feel" of the production. I mean just look at the voice cast and the lines upon lines of spoken dialogue, have Nintendo ever really done that before? I mean, you could say that Other M was another example, but Uprising is well...good. Not just good, fantastic, in terms of story.

That's not to say the story is particularly deep, it's very much played like a Saturday morning cartoon, with plots and villains coming at you at a breakneck pace. Seriously, this game doesn't waste time on trivial matters, it gets more and more epic and involved as it progresses. I mean seriously, Medusa is really own a prelude to everything that happens next, and she was meant to be the big bad guy! The story will leave you breathless, perhaps even exhausted.

But My God, the story just soo entertaining to actually witness. I think this is mostly due to the characters. Holy hell did they get this right. Every character, and I literally mean every character is instantly memorable and well-written. This is probably one of the few games in which I can remember each character, even if they appeared for the best part of a few seconds. Not one of these characters is wasted. I would try and list all the best ones, but they're all of such a good standard that it makes it difficult.

Pit, Dark Pit, Viridi, Hades, Medua, Pyrrhon, Thanatos, Pandora, Phosphura, Arlon, Magnus...do you see show many I've listed? And I mean, that's not in any particular order, these characters are just as fanfastic as ever. But of course, if I had to pick out one standout, it would be Palutena. She's just brilliant. The way she teases and even torments Pit is hillarious to watch, but the bond that the two obviously share is heartwarming. It also helps that she has many of the best lines in the script.

That leads me to the writing. Part of what makes the characters so great is the lines they have. This game is hillarious, whether it be through Pit's corny one-liners to some nice Nintendo references, I usually had a big grin on my face whenever the characters spoke. And since the characters speak a lot, you can imagine what I was like most of the time. Again, there are far too many to list in order to give a proper scope to how funny this game is. There really is some brilliant banter here, especially between the various gods and Pit.

But the game doesn't just excel at humor. The way it's written actually gives the characters some nice nuances and hidden depths. Pit and Palutena's relationship. Viridi's hypocritical hatred of humans....these characters aren't just vehicles to spout joke after joke. They all have their own flaws, strengths and weaknesses. A lot of the time this is played for laughs, but it's never treated without care.

The writing highlight (and arguably of the entire game) is Chapter 18. This is probably one of my favourite Nintendo moments ever. It's just breathtaking, seeing Pit so helpless, having his faith in Palutena strained to the very limit. Chapter 18 also remembers to keep the humor, as well as establishing new alliances as well as reinforcing some old ones. The amazing thing is, that despite it being obvious that Palutena is being possessed at this point, the previous chapters make sure to sow that tiny little seed of doubt in your mind. In essence, you go through the same journey as Pit does through the whole chapter, both in terms of gameplay and story. Not many games do this, and to see it happen in a Kid Icarus game of all things? Just wow.

Oh, and the story was also written by Sakurai himself. Y'know, the same guy who gave us the Subspace Emissary. My mind was blown, I seriously hope this guy continues to do so. I would love to see what he could do with Smash Bros.

Voice acting also deserves a lot of credit. Y'see Nintendo, this is what you get when you hire people with a bit of talent and experience. I mean just look at the names on the cast: Ali Hillis, Troy Baker, Kari Wahlgren, Fred Tatasciore, Cree Summer, Hynden Walch....there's a lot of talent on display here, and they all do very well. Even newbies such as Anthony Del Rio (Pit) do a great job. I don't think there was one bad performance in the entire game, which says a lot considering how much these characters talk. Again, standout performance goes to HIllis for Palutena, but again she has the advantage of having so many good lines to play with.

Now enough about story, let's move on to gameplay. As we all probably know, the gameplay is split into three sections: Air, Land, Boss. The air sections are much like Star Fox, in which Pit is on-rails while you shoot and dodge. The ground sections actually have you control Pit on the ground as you make you way to the boss, defeating enemies as you go. The Boss sections is obvious: you fight a boss. Each chapter follows this pattern, but there are some mixups here and there to keep things fresh.

Let me just first say that the air sections are great. Pit controls almost flawlessly as you duck, weave and shoot the oncoming Underworld army. They'll keep you on your toes as well, these enemies don't pussyfoot around. You make mistakes, and you WILL die. Intense stuff.

The ground sections are my favourite part however. Now I know that's probably the minority, but it's probably because I attuned to the controls almost instantly. These sections are just as intense as the air sections, but have much more variety in gameplay. Whether you be storming a fortified castle, plundering a spaceship, or stealthily avoiding Reapers, no ground section is ever the same, and they're exceedingly fun. The bosses are also fantastic, with 25 (yes, you read that correctly) that all require different strategies to defeat. I believe all the bosses are unique as well, though you do fight some bosses more than once. But still, you fight Medusa, Hades, Palutena and Pit! In the same game! It's just mesmerising how many bosses there are, yet they've sacrificed nothing in terms of variety.

Speaking of variety, let me briefly go over the weapon system. Now I haven't unlocked everything yet, not even close,but my god there's a lot of things to blow shit up with in this game. There are 9 weapon types,a ll with varying strengths and weaknesses that can be suited to your playstyle.From clubs to bows to blades, this game gives a lot of impetus to the player to experiment with what is best to go forward. I believe there are 12 weapons for each class, which equals out to around 108 weapons (don't quote me on that though), add to the fact that you can fuse the weapons to make them stronger, and you have a surprisingly deep weapon system. Did I also mention powers? Things like super-speed, healing, mega lasers...you can kit Pit out with some pretty impressive loadouts, all tailored to how you want to play.

Another way in which the player is given room for experimentation is through the intensity system. I seriously hope future games use this as the standard, because it just works so well. Wanna have a nice gentle stroll through, appreciating the story and set pieces? Go ahead. Want a balls to the walls hardcore experience where one mistake can send Pit to his doom? You can have that too. The game never judges you for playing the way you want, which I think is great. The fact the game accommodates for what you find fun rather than making the player accommodate feels surprisingly fresh. The risk-reward system is also a great incentive to reply, as higher intensity grants you better weapons and more hearts. The highest I've successfully passed is 7. 9 completely owned me. And apparently, there's a hidden Intensity 10 once you complete all chapters on 9.0. Again, don't quote me on that, But even so, this is the most hardcore game that Nintendo has released in a long time, and if you so choose, you don't even heve to notice it! Genius.

The multiplayer is also frantic and fun. I originally though it would be a throwaway mode, but its reliance on the weapon and powers system give the mode some fantastic depth. It's also nicely balanced in terms of gameplay, with the weapon value taken into account in Light vs Dark mode. You can have the best weapon in the game, but if you mess up, it will cost your team dearly. Like the singleplayer, there's a risk-reward element to the multiplayer, which makes it all the more engaging.

Now for presentation. At this present moment, this is the 3DS equivalent to Mario Galaxy in my eyes. The music is one of the best soundtracks produced by Nintendo. From the kicking orchestra theme, the somber notes of Chapter to 18 to the rocking guitars of the boss music, all the tunes are hugely memorable and very listenable. I especially love Dark Pit's theme and the aforementioned Boss Fight theme. They even use old NES samples to great effect. Amazing stuff. I've already mentioned the great voice acting, so I'll skip to the graphics.

Again with the Mario Galaxy comparison, I think this game is the prettiest on 3DS by far. Okay, it might not be as technically good as something like Revelations, but godamn this game is a sight to behold. The characters animate beautifully, both through their 3D models and the 2D drawn ones on the bottom screen. It helps that the design is mostly spot-on as well. Viridi is adorable. while Hades is flamboyantly macho in this animations and design. The amount of graphical variety is also staggering. From burning towns, space flotillas, azure oceans, and techno palaces, this game is just beautiful in every respect without getting repetitive.

Okay, I think I'm done gushing. Is this game perfect? No. While the controls were easy for me, there is definitely a learning curve to the "spin the globe camera" and aiming. I feel that they have a love it/hate it vibe, which is a crying shame for all those who'll dislike it. They're missing out on one hell of an experience. I didn't get hand cramps personally, but I can totally see why some would. I think a dual-analog option should have been made available, but I hope most will persevere. Other nitpicks could be that the characters talk too much, but personally that's no bother considering the quality of the script. Also, some Chapters run for what feels like forever. It's fine because the game is so fun to me, but others may get a sense of tedium.

But honestly, this game is just stunning. Pure brilliance on every level, Nintendo at its best. Sakurai, I commend you. I eagerly look forward to Smash Bros if you're in this form.

TL;DR: This game is amazing. One of the best I have ever played. Nintendo at its best. Get it now.

Edited by Ringo ~
  • Thumbs Up 5

Just beat it. Final thoughts?

Holy shit. Wow. I... I can't really say much to add to Ringo's amazing post (agreed with you on every front, bro) in regards to the single player, but I don't feel like the multiplayer aspect was emphasized enough. If this is Nintendo's new standard for online, then I can finally say that they're actually getting somewhere now. Is it perfect? No, you still can't bring friends with you to play against random people, and there's still no way to add the people you play with on the random option. Other than that though, it's fantastic. Every match is insanely chaotic without it being totally up to chance in the same vain as Mario Kart. You need to be skilled if you want to win, and despite the existence of items to keep things frantic, you'll never feel cheated out of a win. I've spent a grand total of five hours playing online alone now, and now that I've beaten the story mode, that's going to shoot up.

I absolutely love this game, you guys. If you have a 3DS, you're doing yourself a massive disservice by skipping it. The land segments are incredibly unique and a ton of fun, and the flight segments are like Star Fox but better in every aspect (more difficult, smoother controls, more weapons, more variety between levels, dialogue that doesn't make you want to turn off the dialogue, etc).

Just... Just buy it. That's all I can say.

Go. Now.

• Thumbs Up 9

I loved that the characters constantly talked. It's a different way of story telling, but it worked really well. Only problems was that against a few of the later bosses, they weren't done talking when I beat them.

One problem I have with the story, though, is

the whole Gaol and Magnus thing. First we hear how they have a past and Magnus hates her for killing his kid, but that never goes to anything, they just work together later and Gaol is suddenly good.

I thought I went back in time and that the girl you played in Chapter 18 was Magnus' kid and that Gaol was the mom or that it was Gaol herself, but that didn't happen.

Edited by Marcellove

Chapter 15 has become another big favorite of mine

Alien Invasion!? This game keeps getting better =D Pyrrhon is hilarious! He's already one of my favorites.

Edited by BlueTidalGamer21

I loved that the characters constantly talked. It's a different way of story telling, but it worked really well. Only problems was that against a few of the later bosses, they weren't done talking when I beat them.

One problem I have with the story, though, is

the whole Gaol and Magnus thing. First we hear how they have a past and Magnus hates her for killing his kid, but that never goes to anything, they just work together later and Gaol is suddenly good.

I thought I went back in time and that the girl you played in Chapter 18 was Magnus' kid and that Gaol was the mom or that it was Gaol herself, but that didn't happen.

I'm imagining playing this game with a Wii remote and nunchuck.

... Better stop imagining before it makes me start to hate the game; that would have been fucking terrible.

I'm imagining playing this game with a Wii remote and nunchuck.

... Better stop imagining before it makes me start to hate the game; that would have been fucking terrible.

What the hack are you imagining? The aerial sections would be fine. Ground sections, on the other hand... Hmm. Probably would be much more tolerable with the Motion+, methinks, rather than just the regular Wii Remote, since you won't need to restrict the pointer to the TV screen to turn.

Anyway, got this game yesterday, loving the hell out of it so far.

What the hack are you imagining? The aerial sections would be fine. Ground sections, on the other hand... Hmm. Probably would be much more tolerable with the Motion+, methinks, rather than just the regular Wii Remote, since you won't need to restrict the pointer to the TV screen to turn.

Anyway, got this game yesterday, loving the hell out of it so far.

Well, considering I completely loathe the Wii remote when it's used as anything that isn't a sword (because that's the only thing that wouldn't be better with another controller), it really wouldn't have mattered. The current control scheme works perfectly, and I'm glad the 3DS was picked as a result (there are other reasons as well, of course, but we're talking about controls right now).

I think it would have worked better than dual analog (I just don't like it very much, I suppose) but, I'm perfectly fine with it being a 3DS game. Sometimes I hurt my giant banana hands playing but, the stylus aiming is so good. SO GOOD. The game is also very gorgeous in 3D.

Chapter 18... WOW!!! This gaaaaammmmmeeeee!!!!!!

I guess you've...

*shades*

...seen the light.

YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

Okay, so far, I'm up to chapter 17.

Gameplay is fantastic. The aerial sections are amazing on-rails shooting gameplay, the ground sections are fast-paced action that's comparable in quality to Bayonetta and Devil May Cry... The controls take a bit to get used to, but holy shit, this game is amazing.

And then there's the presentation. Sakurai-san and his team went all-out with this game. Visuals are great. The voice acting is very good, not something I expected, and it goes hand-in-hand with extremely well-written dialogue, which is a non-stop barrel of laughs. The characters are also highly memorable, every one of them.

Seriously, Hades is the most hammy, flamboyant and entertaining incarnation of the character since the James Woods Disney version. And don't get me started on the OTHER deities...

Long story short: This game is amazing, the best video game revival of a franchise since Metroid Prime.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just wait until Chapter 18 Daimon. Seriously, this is one of the few games that keeps on giving. I actually lost count of how many times my previous favourite chapter was topped again and again.

Seriously, Hades is the most hammy, flamboyant and entertaining incarnation of the character since the James Woods Disney version. And don't get me started on the OTHER deities...

To quote the Disney version: We dance, we kiss, we schmooze, we carry on, we go home happy.

LOL at the credits Easter egg

Once you beat Hades, and are at the feather screen saying the end, leave the game alone for 2 or 3 minutes,

Hades will come back telling you how Pit must be the strongest Nintendo Character, and how 8-bit Pit never would've made it this far.

Then he goes on to talk about the game's modes, difficulty, boss rush, and how Kid Icarus Uprising is now his new favorite game of all time.

Oh, and he says to see us in the next sequel 25 years from now.

Edited by Nintendoga

Chapter 9... wow. Just... wow.

Anyway, seeing as pretty much everyone in this thread has already said what I wanted to say, I'll give my thoughts on the game in my usual terse fashion: this is the best 3DS game released so far. Bar none.

I really need a 3DS. I've been waiting for a Kid Icarus reboot ever since brawl first came out, and now that it's out and getting so much praise, I'm dying for a copy... And a 3DS.

Hmmm... Maybe this Christmas or my Birthday. It may be a while away, but I'm a pretty patient guy.

Chapter 18-22

Absolutely brilliant!!! The story just keeps on getting better and better! I love how every chapter feels unique and radicly diffrent from the previous ones. This game! This game is pure excellence! =D

Once you beat Hades, and are at the feather screen saying the end, leave the game alone for 2 or 3 minutes,

Hades will come back telling you how Pit must be the strongest Nintendo Character, and how 8-bit Pit never would've made it this far.

Then he goes on to talk about the game's modes, difficulty, boss rush, and how Kid Icarus Uprising is now his new favorite game of all time.

Now he's really channelling James Wood.

Welp, time to go beat the final chapter on the lowest intensity.

Speaking of Easter Eggs, have you guys tried poking the Fiend's Cauldron? Do it, and keep doing it.

Speaking of Easter Eggs, have you guys tried poking the Fiend's Cauldron? Do it, and keep doing it.

Yeah, that's a cool one, isn't it?