Awoo.

Kid Icarus: Uprising

Marcello

So do we have a group playing this at all? It'd be awesome to have a few matches of something with everybody, =O.

Yep, an entire Skype group.

I think I sent ya a request a while back? Accept it and I'll be able to add you straight there.

Anyone else can just tell me and I'll add ya too

This game had some of the best damn dialogue I ever heard, from the references to other games to literally breaking the fourth wall.

Game had some good voice overs, I especially enjoyed Hades and Princess Bubblegu- err...Viridi.

I never had so much fun with a handheld game before, I can' decide between this or RE: Revelations for my favorite all time handheld game, might be this.

Anyone feel slightly sorry for Medusa through?

• Thumbs Up 1

Having gotten up to Chapter 7, I find the game good but unless I'm missing out on something I honestly don't see what makes it so amazing. The dialogue is witty, the setting is great, but the game play feels a tad samey and I'm not feeling much variety. Some encounters feel like miasmas worth of clusterfucks and it's pretty hard to distinguish enemies who have weakpoints, making out what kind they are, predicting attacks and how the hell they work, and also what kind of attacks are necessary because shit blows up on constant; ironically a problem I had with Subspace Emissary in Brawl. The game also does a great job in making it feel big but unless I've missed quite a bit I don't really get the same sense of having multiple options, branching paths and different outcomes like in Star Fox 64 which was one of the key features providing to it's timelessness. While that game felt big because of it's game play, this feels big on account of a lot of visual flair.

That's not to say the game is bad. It's fast and fun with plentiful of action and I haven't begun exploring a lot of the depths behind the gear stuff. I just don't buy the apparent "masterpiece" part. Greatest 3DS game? Yeah, but one of the best games ever? Seems a tad hyperbole-ish.

Having gotten up to Chapter 7, I find the game good but unless I'm missing out on something I honestly don't see what makes it so amazing. The dialogue is witty, the setting is great, but the game play feels a tad samey and I'm not feeling much variety. Some encounters feel like miasmas worth of clusterfucks and it's pretty hard to distinguish enemies who have weakpoints, making out what kind they are, predicting attacks and how the hell they work, and also what kind of attacks are necessary because shit blows up on constant; ironically a problem I had with Subspace Emissary in Brawl. The game also does a great job in making it feel big but unless I've missed quite a bit I don't really get the same sense of having multiple options, branching paths and different outcomes like in Star Fox 64 which was one of the key features providing to it's timelessness. While that game felt big because of it's game play, this feels big on account of a lot of visual flair.

That's not to say the game is bad. It's fast and fun with plentiful of action and I haven't begun exploring a lot of the depths behind the gear stuff. I just don't buy the apparent "masterpiece" part. Greatest 3DS game? Yeah, but one of the best games ever? Seems a tad hyperbole-ish.

Oh Carbo, you haven't seen anything yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

As much as I loved Uprising, I don't think it's one of the best games ever. The controls would have to become less cramped to get close to that.

I only find it cramped if I don't play with the stand really, or with the 3DS against my knee. It sounds stupid being a handheld, but I honestly play it and treat it like a home console game, since I usually play at home anyways.

Anyways, I have no idea how I'm gonna beat the rest of the game on 9.0. I was extremely lucky just to beat Chapter 1, D;.

I don't even know how to play with the stand xD I have to have the console in my hand when playing handhelds.

I don't even know how to play with the stand xD I have to have the console in my hand when playing handhelds.

xlarge_1dc7cc6861091f55c1f05cf37a803e25.jpg

I mean it's not too bad, but I can see it being weird to a lot of people. To me, it feels like a more refined and comfortable version of those demo stands of handheld games you play at stores. I just really like the fact I don't have to hold the system really, and kinda just let it project there like some sorta mini, personal TV or something.

While normally playing Kid Icarus on the go would be tiring to me after awhile, I just spent 6 hours today straight playing it here at my computer desk with the stand like so. It's just my preference, but I enjoy it bunches. The funny things was I didn't even know it was in there when I bought it. I just kinda opened it and was like "well this is stupid" and put it aside for a few days before even giving it a shot, XD.

I can see this is where my persuasion fails though. It's a handheld game, it should have been comfortable to play from the start as a handheld, not some sort of handheld-stationary-turret hybrid, XD.

Well, it can't really be helped when it's more tiring to hold the system in one hand without any other support, and using your right thumb is not a good idea, either.

Honestly, I'm convinced that the game just doesn't work well without the stylus. Any other control method, I've tried, and they're not fast or precise enough to handle the fast-paced gameplay, especially high intensity levels. If this wasn't a handheld game, I'd be certain the only two other control schemes that could actually work with it would be Wii Motion+ with the numchuck, and mouse+keyboard. Dual analog would be a terrible idea, in hindsight - it's barely good enough for FPS games, but it would probably suck balls with this game. Making the Circle Pad Pro only usable for lefties was a good idea.

And as said before, Carbo hasn't seen anything yet. SF64's branching paths were great for replayability, but it wouldn't make that much sense in this context, though one level does have a proper branching path in the flying section. Plus, KI:U has more levels than SF64, intensity levels and hidden stuff to find in levels for replayability, the treasure hunt panels, etc, which make up for the lack of branching paths, I think.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

I prefer dual analog for FPS to mouse and keyboard, so I'm sure I would've preferred it here, too.

I really don't get why some people prefer dual analog over mouse and keyboard. The sheer lack of speed and precision is a serious turn-off for me, plus you can't aim and use any of the face buttons at the same time - you can either aim or jump, not both. Mouse and keyboard doesn't have this limitation, nor does the Wii remote+nunchuck.

• Thumbs Up 1

I got to play some local multiplayer at PAX East on the showfloor itself, and got a huge AR card booster pak and T-shirt out of it. It was tons of fun, so we definitely need to be doing some online.

I'm personally hoping for

A few extra chapters to give some more backstory on Magnus and Dark Lord Gaol. Obviously, it'd take place a bit before the game began, but it would still be interesting.

I was thinking of the same thing, seeing as it seemed as though the there was a lot of wasted potential in not going to deeply into the two's connection, or at the very least Pit and Magnus' apparent friendship.

Though I did have another idea: Kid Icarus the Musical, I mean after the intro to Chapter 14 how could you not want this?

Do you guys mess with those Gems thing that much? I remember making one once, but didn't get much into it. I just checked again today since I've had my 3DS on me as I walk for the past few days and found there's a few gems I picked up, =O.

The thing is, I picked one up that's an Ogre Club with a value of 300, 1 ranged and 5 melee. The interesting part though was that it has Health +5 (as well as Shaking +4, Stamina +3, and Melee dash attack +3). Kinda good right? Well it costs 69,200 hearts to get out of the gem, and I have 77,672. It takes so damn long to get this much hearts for me, and I kinda don't want to spend them on this, XD.

What would you do though? I have these Pandora Claws with a 301 value that I REALLY like, so I'm kinda "D;" about changing anything, but at the same time I need more strong stuff. Damn you Kid Icarus, XD.

I feel like I can gush and go on and on about this game forever, D:

Oh my, I didn't even notice that mixing the gems make them cheap. I just thought they were all super spendy. Thanks, that helps a ton <3

It's funny actually, because I was feeling mostly the same around the point where you're at now. I'm not one of those people who says "best game evar!" very easily. I mean really, only two games from this generation have entered my top five, and those are the two Mario Galaxy games. While this game is probably more of a top-ten thing, it made me feel something I haven't felt while playing a video game for what feels like an eternity. Just keep going through it, because I find that people either click with the game or they don't. That's not to say that those who didn't click didn't enjoy it, but just nowhere near to the same extent as some (like myself) did.

I will talk about some of your complaints in any case. If you're referring to level structure, then I can't really disagree. Especially in the early part of the game, the levels follow a very familiar tune. I think a lot of the actual variety comes from the environments that Pit traverses and the different situations he encounters.

As for the enemy clusterfuck, can't disagree much there either. It all might seem a bit much in the early games, like there's too much going. But again, I find the more you play, the more you become attuned to the intensity that the game presents.

The game is pretty damn linear, at least when comparing it to Star Fox 64. But I dunno, I find the gameplay to be absorbing and the presentation (visual flair only being a small part of that imo) to be so well-done that there's a grandoise element to it that just got me excited. Chapter 8 really did this for me, so I hope you enjoy that chapter.

By the way, I hope you don't take this as a "b-b-but this really is a masterpiece!" post, I just thought I'd note that I was pretty much in the same position as you were. I won't say that it definitely gets better from here on out, or at least to masterpiece levels. I think it all depends on how you click with the game at the end of the day, but I believe that you will enjoy the ride. :)

Edited by Ringo ~

And as said before, Carbo hasn't seen anything yet. SF64's branching paths were great for replayability, but it wouldn't make that much sense in this context, though one level does have a proper branching path in the flying section. Plus, KI:U has more levels than SF64, intensity levels and hidden stuff to find in levels for replayability, the treasure hunt panels, etc, which make up for the lack of branching paths, I think.

That wasn't even my key argument.

Anyway I got up to the Thanatos chapter and yeah things are looking better.

That wasn't even my key argument.

Anyway I got up to the Thanatos chapter and yeah things are looking better.

Carbo.

You STILL ain't seen nothing yet. Just telling ya now.

Just got the game yesterday and I'm now working my way through the Reset Bomb Arc. And I have to say, some players will hate Viridi for being a bitch but will love her voice (Hynden Walch).

k, so I had zero interest in buying this game and didn't follow it all from announcement to release. I still know nothing about it really. But I bought it anyway, cause I love my 3DS and this is supposed to be the killer app for it right now. Just waiting for it to arrive.

k, so I had zero interest in buying this game and didn't follow it all from announcement to release. I still know nothing about it really. But I bought it anyway, cause I love my 3DS and this is supposed to be the killer app for it right now. Just waiting for it to arrive.

While the controls may be a bit iffy at first, Uprising is definitely a solid title for the 3DS. You'll basically love it or hate it, and you've gotta play through it for the full experience.

Plus, Light vs. Dark is the shit.

Well, I'll give this game a chance. Looking at the gameplay footage, and seeing as how Mark of CGR, who usually shares similar opinions with me, said it was pretty lackluster to him, I don't have much faith in it. But I'll play it before I completely write it off.

Well, I'll give this game a chance. Looking at the gameplay footage, and seeing as how Mark of CGR, who usually shares similar opinions with me, said it was pretty lackluster to him, I don't have much faith in it. But I'll play it before I completely write it off.

He had a problem with the controls, but I was kind of expecting that since he usually prefers more traditional controls anyway. You can use the ABXY buttons for aiming as well but I've had no problems with the touch screen controls. It might take some time to get used to though.

He had a problem with the controls, but I was kind of expecting that since he usually prefers more traditional controls anyway. You can use the ABXY buttons for aiming as well but I've had no problems with the touch screen controls. It might take some time to get used to though.

Like Prime Hunters?

Haha, fuck that, I'll use the stylus.