Awoo.

Sonic Colours: New Wii/DS game

Remy

FEATURES:

• Non-stop high-speed action

• Collect and engage the new power-ups derived from the coloured energy of the Wisps!

• Unique Colour Power for the Wii™ and Nintendo DS™

• Perfect blend of 3D and classic 2D perspectives on the Wii and solid 2D dual-screen gameplay on Nintendo DS!

The 2D gameplay on the DS and different Colour Powers will hopefully means that they're different expeiences, rather than one being weaker than the other.

Edited by Blue Blood

Thanks for clarification guys. Just hope the Wii isn't an unleashed copy and the DS isn't a Rush copy.

Edited by Edge

Has Dimps or SEGA said that the DS game will be full 2D or is that just speculation? I don't recall hearing that anywhere... As for the music, I'm glad it will be by dimps and not by another company (cough cough, bioware)

Dimps actually doesn't do the music for the games, either. That's usually done by Wave Master, the same team that does the music for a fair share of Sega's more notable franchises (Sonic the Hedgehog, Jet Set Radio, NiGHTS, Phantasy Star, etc.) They've contributed their talents to all of Sonic's Wii and DS outings so far (minus the BioWare blunder), so I don't think that this game will be any different.

Edited by HunterTSF

Hey, I summon AAUK.

Sup man, some kid on Fluffy Kitten's news or whatever people call cute fluffy kittens on here say's that he's your son. I highly doubt it, but just for clarification ( we always need that) is it true? Do you have a kid that lives in Tampa Florida, because he's claiming you told him the storybook series is dead... and I doubt it.

My thoughts and expectations:

• Gameplay will be like a blend of Unleashed day stages with elements of Storybook series.

• Will feature a simpler and more light-hearted storyline to match the more carefree moments in Unleashed.

• Seven different planetoids each with two or three different stages and also extra missions. Each planet will have it's own specific theme to match it's colour and style.

• Possibly a final level like a colourless "void" or some such; where all colour has been sapped away by Robotnik's meddling (possibly a final boss in said void fighting the Doctor's ultimate contraption capable of sucking Sonic's colour powers away, thus damaging him).

• "Point and click" aspect used in menus and the level select screen. Possibly also for minor mini-games and missions.

• Many levels will feature distinct amusement park qualities either in a way that works with nature (see:Sonic CD), or due to Robotnik's changes (again, see the former).

• New powers will be unlocked in new levels by saving the Whisps native to each.

• Said powers are upgraded by saving many whisps and can be customised by mixing and matching them in some way i.e. 30 yellow "drill" whisps plus 10 red "power" whisps gives you a stronger drill attack, 30 yellow "drill" whisps plus 20 blue "speed" whisps gives you a faster drill attack.

• Robotnik will be the major villain throughout.

• Game is being developed solely for Wii and DS because it's cheaper, less of a financial risk and easier to produce.

• Sega's roundabout way of apologising for Unleashed Wii being unfinished.

• Will probably be labelled as "kiddy" regardless of the content due to the fact that Sonic doesn't have a gun or fights a big tentacle monster.

• Graphics will be fine; not HD so people will still moan, but nice regardless.

• Being aimed more at kids because more of them are likely to buy it and make Sega lots of money. Fans, as important as they are in some ways, matter little in this equation.

• Trying a more simplistic 3D Sonic game to see how people react.

• Title is intentional: simple, basic game name gets people's attention and makes them interested.

If the game is even half as good as this I'll probably love it.

There, flame me.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I know they specifically called this game "kiddie", but they also referred to Sonic and the Black Knight as an example of a kiddie Sonic game. Which I thought was probably the darkest and best-written Sonic game, in terms of story, since Adventure 2. In fact, it's one of the ONLY well-written Sonic games out there, in my opinion. Sure, it was hard to take everything seriously, but the dialog and tone was excellent. So if it's anything like that, I ain't complaining.

Though, you can't expect much from a game called Sonic Colors. All I want is something fun that's not going to COMPLETELY alienate long-time fans of the franchise. That's all.

Edited by EXshad

By "kiddie" I can't help but think that basically means the same crappy gameplay seen in the other storybook games. Don't bother trying too hard, Sega, just make all the levels ribbons of ground with backgrounds, and while you're at it, you shouldn't bother dealing with coming up with a control scheme that works, just have Sonic awkwardly shift back and forth while accelerating imprecisely.

I think Secret Rings' gameplay was great, just shaky. If they could get that down while removing unnecessary features from SatBK we'd have a fun game.

Oh, the gameplay's a whole different story. Secret Rings was pretty alright at the time, but... I wouldn't wanna see it again. And Black Knight.... well, I think that game got EVERYTHING right besides the absolutely awful waggle-based gameplay.

I really just wanna see an enhanced version of the Unleashed day-stages. That'd be perfect for me, anyway :P

the game should be a more polished and upgraded version of Unleashed, with more platform and a little bit of exploration. Just like SA1

This would be the perfect gameplay

My biggest issue with Unleashed Wii was that Sonic controlled like a race car, and the levels were designed for him as such. Now the drift and side-stepping moves are simply brilliant moves to have if the game is as fast as Unleashed, but I really hope Sonic can be controlled better.

I want to know why it's sad that they're "making their own version of Super Mario Galaxy". A space adventure is the next logical step following from Sonic World Adventure, and if Galaxy was a great game then learning from it is a smart thing to do.

• Thumbs Up 3

So like, Amazon and Play are seeming pretty cool right now, as far as pricing goes.

You know if the Storybook team is the one to make Sonic Colors I would hope they get Ogawa to make it.

So like, Amazon and Play are seeming pretty cool right now, as far as pricing goes.

They usually are. If this game continues to look good after more about it is revealed I'll probably pre-order it from either of the two.

I reckon they're all placeholder prices for now, we'll very likely see some changes to the prices closer to release but sometimes retailers like Play and Amazon will set a price low when they first open pre-orders for people to take advantage of at this early stage.

That's what it seems like. Seeing as you will only ever be charged the price at the time you pre-ordered at max with Amazon, I decided it was a good idea to pre-order now. I can always cancel it later, should there be any special bonuses with anyone (fat chance, I know) or if GAME is doing them for the same price.

I doubt there'll be anything in the way of pre-order bonuses, but I usually purchase my games from Play anyway. With (usually) lower-than-retail prices and the fact that you usually receive the game a day before release just by sitting on you backside...it's a win-win situation if you ask me.

I doubt there'll be anything in the way of pre-order bonuses, but I usually purchase my games from Play anyway. With (usually) lower-than-retail prices and the fact that you usually receive the game a day before release just by sitting on you backside...it's a win-win situation if you ask me.

The one time I pre-ordered from Play my game arrived over a week after the release date. I was most disappointed.

The one time I pre-ordered from Play my game arrived over a week after the release date. I was most disappointed.

Ouch man...that's the only suckage with post, it doesn't always arrive on time (if ever) for some people.

I've got a friend who still hasn't received his copy of Red Dead Redemption after he pre-ordered it months ago, where I pre-ordered mine a few days before release and got it a day early. :P

Back to Colours, I'd be happy if it wasn't close to Sonic 4's release date, I don't want to be playing through 2 brand-new Sonic games at once. D:

Back to Colours, I'd be happy if it wasn't close to Sonic 4's release date, I don't want to be playing through 2 brand-new Sonic games at once. D:

inb4 generic comments about how Sonic 4 isn't a brand-new game as it's a total rehash

And to stay on topic, I'm starting to think the DS version will turn out better than the Wii version.

Why?

DS

Sonic Rush 83%

Sonic Rush Adventure 80%

Wii

Sonic and the Secret Rings 70%

Sonic and the Black Knight 55%

Sonic Unleashed 66%

On the whole, the handhelds have a better recent track record, in the fans and reviewers eyes really. But we'll just have to wait and see, won't we?